HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Past Kings Draft, Trade, Free Agent Signing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
  #101
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Staal, Brind'amour, Ward?
Only one of those guys is considered a star. Brind'amour was on the tail end of his career and Ward has had his ups and downs.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
  #102
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Staal, Brind'amour, Ward?
Brind'amour? Hell then we are set,

Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson, bring us the cup!!!!!!!

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  #103
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Oh, wait, you want the one and done route? Instead of being perennial contenders?

That explains it...

BTW how has Carolina done since winning the cup????
Wow, where did I state that in my post? Is it a fact the Kings are on their way to becoming perennial cup contenders? I didn't know that.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  #104
TonySCV
Moderator
Two Timer!
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Helene is no less an armchair GM than the rest of us, she just happens to have a publicly-read outlet. To me, this is an abuse of journalistic freedom. It's an excuse for her to take a shot at the guy who runs the team that she covers that pays her bills, without any real reason.
One of the reasons why I file these opinion columns of hers in the circular file under my desk.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  #105
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Schenn should be in Manchester next year,

You do realize he is in Saskatoon this year, right?

Moller and Lotkinov will probably join the club if no moves are made, if they are, I expect Moller to be dealt.

But if you think 3 players are depth, we have two very distinctive definitions then.
YES I REALIZE THAT SCHENN WAS SENT DOWN TO JUNIORS THIS YEAR...

Because he was too young to play the season in Manchester. No reason to think he can't or won't be with the Kings next year. so what was your point?

Let me re-iterate that Moller, Schenn, and Loktionov can replace Zues and Poni next season. So you have EVEN MORE CAP SPACE to re-sign Doughty! What a novel concept.

Again, why can't the Kings go after an impact player like Semin if he was available?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  #106
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?
 
FanSince2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,045
vCash: 500
The Kings DID make a trade like that.

Visnovsky for Stoll and Greene.

It's too bad opportunities like that don't drop in your lap every time you need them.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:46 AM
  #107
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
At some point you have to assume the kids will, and those kids, especially the likes of Loktionov, Mollar, etc., don't cost what Handzus, Poni, etc do. Not to mention the cap is slated to go up another $2 million or so.

LA should have about $15 million to eat Doughty's raise, replace Sturm/Handzus/Poni/ and add a piece or two. We could easily have spent the extra cap space we have this year.
Now yes, having Johnson signed is huge, no one knew what he was going to command....

As far as replacing players goes, you run the risk of a fluctuating season when you rely on rookies to replace veterans, yes it has to happen, but most succesful teams do it one-2 at a time, not 5.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:47 AM
  #108
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Only one of those guys is considered a star. Brind'amour was on the tail end of his career and Ward has had his ups and downs.
Didn't Cam Ward win the Conn Smythe?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:47 AM
  #109
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
No, fill me in with your facts. I was under the impression Steve Yzerman was the cornerstone of the franchise post Gordie Howe but now I'm being told I am wrong. This is devastating. I need your facts to be set straight.
Yzerman was the cornerstone but it took Detroit a long while to finally win the Cup after he was drafted. 12 years till the went to the Finals 14 before they won the Cup.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
  #110
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
The last trade was Smyth/Quincey.
Thank you, I forgot him. I guess DL can have credit for one risky move.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
  #111
Hollywood
Registered User
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Once again Detroit didnt get there over night.

Because you dont give up guys like Schenn. Im not gonna say a word about him not doing anything great and those guys arent that far ahead of him.
John Tavares? Victor Hedman? Matt Duchene? Evander Kane? Are you serious? Well first of all, these aforementioned play in a different league... WHL and NHL are different last time I checked... So please again tell me why he is so untouchable when his FV is very much up for debate

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
  #112
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Wow, where did I state that in my post? Is it a fact the Kings are on their way to becoming perennial cup contenders? I didn't know that.
There are no facts in the NHL when it comes to team's direction, but I can safely say all indicators are pointing towards the Kings becoming perennial cup contenders.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
  #113
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Brind'amour? Hell then we are set,

Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson, bring us the cup!!!!!!!
I don't feel like arguing the merits of Brind'amour in this thread, but he was an integral part of that Cup-winning team. The Canes just retired his number so calling him a star would be accurate, despite your opinion.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
  #114
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Did Cammalleri re-invent his game after leaving L.A.? No, he's still the same player. He was worth the same $5M/yr then as he is now.
He wasn't worth it then, he isn't worth it now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
  #115
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Didn't Cam Ward win the Conn Smythe?
And? Doesnt change the facts that hes had his up and downs since. Is he what you would consider a star goalie?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
  #116
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
YES I REALIZE THAT SCHENN WAS SENT DOWN TO JUNIORS THIS YEAR...

Because he was too young to play the season in Manchester. No reason to think he can't or won't be with the Kings next year. so what was your point?

Let me re-iterate that Moller, Schenn, and Loktionov can replace Zues and Poni next season. So you have EVEN MORE CAP SPACE to re-sign Doughty! What a novel concept.

Again, why can't the Kings go after an impact player like Semin if he was available?
Because more than likely, the asking price IS SCHENN + I don't know what's so hard to understand about that,

If the asking price was Teubert and a 5th, do you honestly think he wouldn't be a King?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
  #117
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I agree, except that I don't rate the Shanahan, Schneider or Chelios trades as risks....
I won't debate Schnieder and Shanahan, as those can be seen either way, but two 1sts and an at the time still decent young defenseman for a 37 year old is risky, no questions.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:50 AM
  #118
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
John Tavares? Victor Hedman? Matt Duchene? Evander Kane? Are you serious? Well first of all, these aforementioned play in a different league... WHL and NHL are different last time I checked... So please again tell me why he is so untouchable when his FV is very much up for debate
Why dont you look at the teams those guys are playing on and tell me what you notice?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:50 AM
  #119
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And? Doesnt change the facts that hes had his up and downs since. Is he what you would consider a star goalie?
I thought we were talking about that specific year, my bad.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:51 AM
  #120
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Schenn should be in Manchester next year,

You do realize he is in Saskatoon this year, right?

Moller and Lotkinov will probably join the club if no moves are made, if they are, I expect Moller to be dealt.

But if you think 3 players are depth, we have two very distinctive definitions then.

If Schenn was AHL eligible, he'd be there, not back in the WHL.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:52 AM
  #121
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
No, fill me in with your facts. I was under the impression Steve Yzerman was the cornerstone of the franchise post Gordie Howe but now I'm being told I am wrong. This is devastating. I need your facts to be set straight.
Oh he definitely was, that doesn't mean that's when the rebuild started...

Devellano desperately wanted Lafontaine and when he was selected by Buffalo, he thought about moving down in the draft, but they selected Yzerman instead, hindsight, GREAT MOVE, but at the time, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE was touting him as a future HOF, in fact they were looking into trading him a few times during his career BEFORE they turned the corner and started to win....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:52 AM
  #122
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I thought we were talking about that specific year, my bad.


How convenient for him to completely ignore the year they actually won the Cup.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:53 AM
  #123
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Yzerman was the cornerstone but it took Detroit a long while to finally win the Cup after he was drafted. 12 years till the went to the Finals 14 before they won the Cup.
I can't believe you guys are discounting Steve Yzermans role in winning in Detroit. The guy completely changed his game to make the team better, I hope Red Wing fans don't read this.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
  #124
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I thought we were talking about that specific year, my bad.
Was he a star then? No he wasnt. he was a rookie goalie who had a mediocre season and got hot at the right time. And since then hes been up and down.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
  #125
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If Schenn was AHL eligible, he'd be there, not back in the WHL.
Agreed, but he isn't, so he's not.

Next year, I think he should spend in the AHL, don't rush him, let him develop at that level,

You still have Kopitar/Stoll/Lotkionov as your pivots, then when you deal Stoll or he leaves, you bring Schenn up.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.