HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Past Kings Draft, Trade, Free Agent Signing Discussion

Old
02-22-2011, 02:54 AM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If Schenn was AHL eligible, he'd be there, not back in the WHL.
Agreed, but he isn't, so he's not.

Next year, I think he should spend in the AHL, don't rush him, let him develop at that level,

You still have Kopitar/Stoll/Lotkionov as your pivots, then when you deal Stoll or he leaves, you bring Schenn up.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post

How convenient for him to completely ignore the year they actually won the Cup.
How did I completely ignore the year they won the Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I can't believe you guys are discounting Steve Yzermans role in winning in Detroit. The guy completely changed his game to make the team better, I hope Red Wing fans don't read this.
Im not discounting Yzerman's role. Simply pointing out that he was there for quite a while before they turned into the team they did and that it took that team time to get to their current state.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
I can't believe you guys are discounting Steve Yzermans role in winning in Detroit. The guy completely changed his game to make the team better, I hope Red Wing fans don't read this.
No one is discounting his role ffs, what I am saying is that at the time of his drafting, A. he wasn't what Detroit wanted, and B. it WAS NOT THE START, of the rebuild, but let's for argument say it was, he was not touted as a future HOF'er, AND it took them 12 years to win a cup after he was drafted....that's a helluva rebuild.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:58 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Was he a star then? No he wasnt. he was a rookie goalie who had a mediocre season and got hot at the right time. And since then hes been up and down.
I don't care if he got hot at the right time or was mediocre during the season (3.68GAA so mediocre is being very nice). Was it Carolina's plan to win the Cup to have a rookie goalie take over #1 duties in the playoffs?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:00 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
No one is discounting his role ffs, what I am saying is that at the time of his drafting, A. he wasn't what Detroit wanted, and B. it WAS NOT THE START, of the rebuild, but let's for argument say it was, he was not touted as a future HOF'er, AND it took them 12 years to win a cup after he was drafted....that's a helluva rebuild.
You still haven't told us who the target was. I honestly don't know what you're talking about so it would be an interesting read to find out that Detroit wanted another player and settled for Stevie Y.

Old
sjmay*

Quote:
I don't care if he got hot at the right time or was mediocre during the season (3.68GAA so mediocre is being very nice). Was it Carolina's plan to win the Cup to have a rookie goalie take over #1 duties in the playoffs?
What does that have to do with Hollywood's claim that you can't win the cup without 3 star players???

Old
kingpest19

Quote:
I'd have to say no it wasnt.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:01 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Agreed, but he isn't, so he's not.

Next year, I think he should spend in the AHL, don't rush him, let him develop at that level,

You still have Kopitar/Stoll/Lotkionov as your pivots, then when you deal Stoll or he leaves, you bring Schenn up.
If he's NHL caliber, you put him in the NHL, ala Clifford this year. The problem with Schenn being in the WHL is that everyone knows, including you, that he's more than WHL material and it's not helping his development. If he's NHL ready, play him in the NHL.

Saying "he isn't, so he's not" is just a way around acknowledging the fact that Schenn is in Saksatoon due to the CBA and not his actual playing ability. Give the kid credit for being AHL/borderline NHL caliber.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kingpest19

Quote:
You still haven't told us who the target was. I honestly don't know what you're talking about so it would be an interesting read to find out that Detroit wanted another player and settled for Stevie Y.
Apparently it was LaFontaine

Old
sjmay*

Quote:
Lafontaine, they really wanted Lafontaine,

If you can find it, pick up Jim Devellano's book, it's a great read.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Chicago is one and done?

- Interesting last I checked they still had a pretty good team, tied with the Kings in the standings despite a ton more injuries. You think Vancouver or Detroit want anything to do with Chicago in the first round?

- Carolina went to the Conf Finals two years after winning the Cup. That is a round farther than DL has gone in his 11 years as an NHl GM. So don't act as if they won the Cup and collapsed off the face of the earth.

- Trading first round picks and young players for older d-man is a risk.

- Stoll started the year 17 points in his first 20 games. Since then he has 17 points in 39 games. And that is with spending a good chunk of the the time on the #1 PP unit. Sorry, a good 3rd line center. Not a good second line center, it is a hole that hopefully Schenn fills.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Why dont you look at the teams those guys are playing on and tell me what you notice?
Well the first thing I notice is that the teams these guys are on play in the NHL... Saskatoon didn't make the expansion draft.
So are you trying to suggest that if the draft was taken again he would go higher??? He actually would have gone lower.IMO. So Again I ask why is he untouchable? How many times do I have to ask until you answer... I don't hate the guy... I just want someone else to tell me why..

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:03 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
If he's NHL caliber, you put him in the NHL, ala Clifford this year. The problem with Schenn being in the WHL is that everyone knows, including you, that he's more than WHL material and it's not helping his development. If he's NHL ready, play him in the NHL.

Saying "he isn't, so he's not" is just a way around acknowledging the fact that Schenn is in Saksatoon due to the CBA and not his actual playing ability. Give the kid credit for being AHL/borderline NHL caliber.
I never took credit away from him...

Anyways, like I said, I think he should be in the AHL as a first year pro, the game from the CHL, to the AHL is much faster, give him the chance to develop at that level, there is not a rush for him to join the Kings....there really isn't.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:03 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Who is touted as a future hall of famer when they are drafted but the absolute best of the best, like Guy Lafleur? Even some of those who were didn't pan out to be that, see Eric Lindros.

About 99.9 per cent of the Hall of Fame weren't pegged to be Hall of Famers when they were drafted.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:04 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Lafontaine, they really wanted Lafontaine,

If you can find it, pick up Jim Devellano's book, it's a great read.
Now is that skill or luck that they got Stevie Y? Was there any plan in place to launch an NHL power house by getting the 2nd choice?

Old
02-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
If the asking price was Teubert and a 5th, do you honestly think he wouldn't be a King?
But Teubert is the next Scott Stevens!

That's what everyone here said after they drafted him.

Why would we trade him?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Chicago is one and done?

- Interesting last I checked they still had a pretty good team, tied with the Kings in the standings despite a ton more injuries. You think Vancouver or Detroit want anything to do with Chicago in the first round?

- Carolina went to the Conf Finals two years after winning the Cup. That is a round farther than DL has gone in his 11 years as an NHl GM. So don't act as if they won the Cup and collapsed off the face of the earth.

- Stoll started the year 17 points in his first 20 games. Since then he has 17 points in 39 games. And that is with spending a good chunk of the the time on the #1 PP unit. Sorry, a good 3rd line center. Not a good second line center, it is a hole that hopefully Schenn fills.
And yet Stoll is 39th in league scoring by a C, so you are saying you would rather have the 21 guys that haven't scored as much and are not nearly as good at faceoffs, than Stoll????

And you say you are a fan......tsk tsk.

Old
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:

Anyways, like I said, I think he should be in the AHL as a first year pro, the game from the CHL, to the AHL is much faster, give him the chance to develop at that level, there is not a rush for him to join the Kings....there really isn't.
Is there anybody in this thread who is advocating Schenn be traded or rushed to the NHL?

Old
02-22-2011, 03:06 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
But Teubert is the next Scott Stevens!

That's what everyone here said after they drafted him.

Why would we trade him?
Was Teubert the guy who was drafted ahead of Tyler Myers?

Old
02-22-2011, 03:06 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Who is touted as a future hall of famer when they are drafted but the absolute best of the best, like Guy Lafleur? Even some of those who were didn't pan out to be that, see Eric Lindros.

About 99.9 per cent of the Hall of Fame weren't pegged to be Hall of Famers when they were drafted.
I agree, but Tikkanen was on the premise that Detroit started their rebuild with future HOF'ers,

NOW they are, but when they were drafted, they were not...

Old
02-22-2011, 03:07 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Chicago is one and done?

And Carolina has missed the playoffs 3 of the 4 years since that Cup win.

Heres go the Stoll crap again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Well the first thing I notice is that the teams these guys are on play in the NHL... Saskatoon didn't make the expansion draft.
So are you trying to suggest that if the draft was taken again he would go higher??? He actually would have gone lower.IMO. So Again I ask why is he untouchable? How many times do I have to ask until you answer... I don't hate the guy... I just want someone else to tell me why..
And look at the depth charts of the teams they play on as well. NYI and ATL didnt really have that much depth at the F position, TB didnt have that much depth at the D position and Colorado had a bad season which led to that pick. What do the Kings have? Depth at Center.

Old
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Love to see you explain this one.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

If he's NHL ready, yeah, there is. Don't forget the kid put up seven points in seven AHL games already and has scored 38 points in just 17 WHL games, a pace that would have him score 161 points in a full 72 game WHL season. You don't rush, but don't hold him back either.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:08 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Now is that skill or luck that they got Stevie Y? Was there any plan in place to launch an NHL power house by getting the 2nd choice?
That was luck, the skill came in the Federov/Lidstrom/Konstantinov draft, and THAT is where I think their rebuild came full throttle...

Old
02-22-2011, 03:10 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
If he's NHL ready, yeah, there is. Don't forget the kid put up seven points in seven AHL games already and has scored 38 points in just 17 WHL games, a pace that would have him score 161 points in a full 72 game WHL season. You don't rush, but don't hold him back either.
I agree, but I don't count 7 games in the AHL as consistent, I think it's 50/50, I am pretty sure he can make the team, but can he be effective coming right from the WHL, that's gonna be the question mark...