HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brewer was a definite option for Habs

Old
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post
It's the same old story every year, we were second every single time

It is the case for the good players only though...

But for deadwoods like Gomez, Spacek, etc., we won the lottery...
No, it's not about being the second. It's about people always linking the Habs to any player to be traded and fans biting that. It makes people react, say nonsense and always ***** at the organization.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I don't see why we should have traded for a rental dman. There is no way we get past the first round this year. Time to think about next season.
Does it get easier to say this every year?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:19 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
You don't NEED to trade just to trade, goddamnit. You trade only if it can be profitable and fairly safe.

Trading isn't like NHL2011, you can't reset the game, if you **** up, you pay for it for a long time.
You got to say to yourself that these where a few major players moved and some still very very young and not seen has rental. The Dallas and Pens trade is just an other slap in the face.
With this current roster, there are many holes and a glaring weakness.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
LyleOdelein

Even if Brewer were to have waived his NTC to go to the Habs, wouldn't he have put them over the cap at the time of the deal?

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:07 AM
Miller Time

glad we didn't trade assets for him, and hope that "losing out" on him doesn't lead to a desperation move.

we obviously need short-term help on defense, but it's just not worth it with this roster.

Brewer would not have been a good long-term addition either, he's not worth the 4M$+ he'll get as a UFA.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out
Penner - going to lose out
Phillips going to lose out

Same stuff every year, Kovalchuk last year, Hossa when he left Atlanta. At the end of the day its the same thing, too much for us to offer up according to the GM.

Is it just our young pieces or assets are not as valuable compared to other teams? I don't know.

Just we lose out on big names every year, we end up with picks, Moore, Kovalev. Nothing more than that. We will have lots of cap space if Spacek is goes on LTIR.
this

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:43 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
No, it's not about being the second. It's about people always linking the Habs to any player to be traded and fans biting that. It makes people react, say nonsense and always ***** at the organization.
agreed 100%

come on, according to various BS websites we were in play for Brewer, Stewart, Kaberle, now Phillips, JoVo, Penner, Bogosian, probably Hemsky, now we're trying to dump AK, Gomez and a few others as well as acquire Kovalev, Neil...

we're basically involved in any single trades rumor that happen in the NHL...

seriously, Bell Canada is making a fortune with PG!!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out

Same stuff every year, Kovalchuk last year, Hossa when he left Atlanta. At the end of the day its the same thing, too much for us to offer up according to the GM.

Is it just our young pieces or assets are not as valuable compared to other teams? I don't know.

Just we lose out on big names every year, we end up with picks, Moore, Kovalev. Nothing more than that. We will have lots of cap space if Spacek is goes on LTIR.
Do you honestly think we would've been able to resign Kovalchuk? No way, we would have lost him at the end of the year for nothing. Plus we'd be without the assets that landed him in the first place. And it's the same deal with Hossa, pittsburgh gave up alot for him for there playoff push...didn't win a cup, hossa jumped ship after the playoff run for. At this point in time it seems like a waste to make any deals for a playoff run, people just seem to want PG to make trades for the sake of it.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I think the Habs are just playing out the string. Too many injuries to top players have wrecked the season

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I don't see why we should have traded for a rental dman. There is no way we get past the first round this year. Time to think about next season.
We have a better chance than last year...I forget, refresh my memory...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out
I wanted to edit that with a "won out" / FIXED! kind of theme, but we're not allowed to do that, so it would be bad form. Anyway, I think others have pretty much nailed it already... if Brewer was costing us a 3rd+Bennett, say, or Stewart was going to cost us Subban, or they're looking for a 1st+prospect for Penner, or ?anything? for Phillips... well, I'm very satisfied that the Habs have held off making any of these deals.

The bottom line is we just don't have the assets on hand, and we don't have the lineup close enough to contention for the rental price to make sense to us.

And using up the scarce assets we do have for 20-game player rentals isn't going to do anything to build us towards the time when maybe we can afford to make these moves either.

Our team is positioned for bargain hunting. That's it, that's all. We can't beat anybody's bid. Except on Paul Maras. And that's not an indictment in the least, IMHO. That's just where we're at.

I'm glad our management seems to recognize it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Same old crap.....

Brewer - lost out
Stewart - lost out

We got Wisniewski...but you conveniently forgot to mention him.

I'm sure we could have had Stewart but he would have cost Subban...but once again you just look at the player coming in and not the cost going out(Stewart cost Eric johnson plus a 1st rounder).

I don't see where we have to get every player that gets traded...every NHL player has a value and I'm sure there are some where it's worth our while to pay the price needed and others where it's not worth us paying the price.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I think the Habs lost out on all players in the league.
yup, well except Scott Gomez, we got the Rangers to trade him to us of course....

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I wanted to edit that with a "won out" / FIXED! kind of theme, but we're not allowed to do that, so it would be bad form. Anyway, I think others have pretty much nailed it already... if Brewer was costing us a 3rd+Bennett, say, or Stewart was going to cost us Subban, or they're looking for a 1st+prospect for Penner, or ?anything? for Phillips... well, I'm very satisfied that the Habs have held off making any of these deals.

The bottom line is we just don't have the assets on hand, and we don't have the lineup close enough to contention for the rental price to make sense to us.

And using up the scarce assets we do have for 20-game player rentals isn't going to do anything to build us towards the time when maybe we can afford to make these moves either.

Our team is positioned for bargain hunting. That's it, that's all. We can't beat anybody's bid. Except on Paul Maras. And that's not an indictment in the least, IMHO. That's just where we're at.

I'm glad our management seems to recognize it.
We have all the assets we need to get anybody on the trade market but I think Gauthier believes in building through young players to have success in the cap world(cheap skilled talent with low cap hit).

If we were dangling pieces like Subban Weber Eller Pacioretty LeBlanc Tinordi Kristo Avtsin Gallagher, I'm sure we could get a couple big names no problem but trading top young players for rentals is proven to backfire in most cases.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
Do you honestly think we would've been able to resign Kovalchuk? No way, we would have lost him at the end of the year for nothing. Plus we'd be without the assets that landed him in the first place. And it's the same deal with Hossa, pittsburgh gave up alot for him for there playoff push...didn't win a cup, hossa jumped ship after the playoff run for. At this point in time it seems like a waste to make any deals for a playoff run, people just seem to want PG to make trades for the sake of it.
I have no doubts that we could have re-signed Kovalchuk if we really wanted him...but I don't think he is a guy that justifies the cost to acquire and sign him...just look at New Jersey since they got him, they flopped in the playoffs and have had a crappy year until the last month. I know it's not all on him...but he is a guy that does well for himself but it's not all about winning and he doesn't make linemates/teammates better.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I think the Habs are just playing out the string. Too many injuries to top players have wrecked the season
You mean like last year?

Old
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Who the **** cares about Brewer.

We missed out on Neal and Stewart.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

So you would have been happy if we traded Subban for Neal or Stewart...yes or no?

Old
02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I like PK Subban a lot, though. As much as we need a PF, we also need what Subban is going to bring us for the next hopefully-27-years. I just don't see the point in lamenting the Neal or Stewart "misses". At least with Brewer there is some argument to be made that losing a 3rd+middling prospect wouldn't hurt us much.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I'm tired of that s...

Everytime a player is traded or signs with another team, we hear " oh we could have gotten him " or " He was interestd in signing with us "

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote