HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 New York Knicks Thread (Playoff Edition--All NBA Discussion)

View Poll Results: Melo is a Knick! Feelings on the deal?
Great trade! Terrific value, incredible player. 35 25.55%
Good trade. Melo is tremendous, but the price is a little steep. 69 50.36%
Not sure yet. I'll wait and see. 13 9.49%
Poor trade. Way too much was given up. 15 10.95%
Awful trade! Melo is not what we need, and we were fleeced. 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 01:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Yeah, not a D'Antoni fan either, Sting.

BTW, I'm going to add a poll to this to get a gauge for how people feel about the Melo deal.

EDIT: Poll is up!

It's just pain.
Old
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
But Isiah and Dolan didn't deliver an average league-wide team with likable guys. The Knicks were a laughing stock, and Isiah and Dolan further dug us into the trenches. You can say what you want about Sather, but Isiah WISHES he could be Sather, and that's all I'll say about how "highly" I think of Thomas. If we were seeing a .500 team that worked hard I wouldn't have a problem, but Thomas and Dolan turned a respectable franchise into a disgrace.

The day Donnie Walsh took over as GM and D'antoni took over the bench I could say I was a Knick fan again. As an 18 year old, all the friends around me had already taken to bandwagoning the Lakers and Celtics. The team of Gallo and Felton, with Stat, helped bring respectability back to the Garden, and it's hard to see them go after finally being able to watch the team and call myself a Knick fan without being laughed at.

Yes, i'm very excited to see what Melo can do. I like the other acquisitions, like Billups and Brewer, too. But to see Dolan have such a hand in it gave me PTSD flashbacks, if you know what I mean.
There's nothing wrong with liking certain players more than others and whatnot, that's what being a fan is about. The problem I have surrounding this deal is that fanaticism about specific guys, especially those who are nothing special, is completely putting blinders on fans.

Every Knick fan knows the history. Thomas set this franchise back at least a decade with awful moves. Now the team is set to acquire one of the top 10 players in basketball, and people are complaining that they're losing Raymond Felton. Really? A year ago, 3/4's of Knicks fans probably had never heard of the guy, and for good reason.

There really wasn't much to respect about the current Knicks at all, they were a .500 team in an awful East that were riding on the back of one player completely. They had a couple nice stories on the team, but that's really all they had going for them. This team wasn't going to become a real threat in the East without a significant move in the FA market or a trade, and everyone knows how waiting on players went last year.

I liked watching guys like Gallo and Chandler too, but some fans are so desperate to find silver linings on bad teams that it just clouds their judgment. Mozgov could barely break the rotation two weeks ago and has never saw a foul he didn't like, now the Knicks just traded the second coming of Ewing. Felton was a scrap heap player that thrived simply because of the system and Stat, and hadn't played well in quite some time. Chandler was likely done after this season, and Gallo's production was essentially replaced.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Shake and Bake

Great trade!! This trade was an absolute no brainer.

Chandler- whatever. We wouldn't have resigned him this summer anyway

Felton- I'll take Billups over him. Chauncey may be old, but hes still better imo. Who would you rather have in the playoffs? Felton or Billups? Felton is ok. His stats were completely inflated in D'Antonis system. Look what Chris f'in Duhon did in the first half of his first year in NY. He put up decent numbers. Billups is a better shooter, has more experience, and is a solid defender.

Gallinari- Yeah hes solid, but so what? Hes not an all star and we just replaced him with Carmelo ****in Anthony!!!!

Mozgov- pfttt Not going to let him be a deal breaker

1st rounder- who cares. Wont be a lottery pick.

You win with stars in this league boys. They needed Melo to compete with the big boys and they got him. They now have two supertars. We also kept our glue guy in Landry Fields which is a plus. Should be a great role player playing alongside these guys. The key is to get the stars first and then build around them. They will figure out their role players and bench in the near future. Starting next year, players will be lining up to play in NY for less money. We will easily get another star, another solid role player, a capable center, etc.

And lets stop comparing this to a hockey trade. The sports arent comparable when it comes to trading for superstars. In hockey, chemistry, depth, and role players are way more important.

As far as people saying: "This trade won't make the Knicks better than Miami or Boston." So?? The trade certainly makes them a better team now and in the future. They may never be better than Miami, but they should be capable of competing with them and beating them in the future.

Carmelo will take this city by storm. He wants this stage and he will deliver. Lebron didnt have the balls to play here. Carmelo is tough as nails. As a freshman in college what he did leading Syracuse to a championship was insane. I don't want to hear that he is not a winner. He is cold blooded. Not afraid to take the last shot unlike that pansy in Miami. Him and Amare will embrace the challenge and not be afriad to fail. New Yorkers will love him- he is one of our own. And as far as him not being able to play solid defense, I dont want to hear it. He brings up the intensity on the defensive side in the playoffs. He played surprisingly good d on Kobe in that WCF playoff series (relatively speaking; noone can defend Kobe).

The best teammate Carmelo ever played with was Chauncey Billups and that year Denver gave LA a run for their money in the Western Conference Finals. He has never played with anyone as good as Amare. The Knicks will add another star in the next year or two as well as solid role players. And when they do, look out baby!!!

Old
02-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
^^^

Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself. After reading through this thread I was about to post pretty much what you just said. Thanks for saving me the time

Superstars don't become available often in the NBA, and we got arguably one of the top 10 players in the game for a bargain. Felton was a stop-gap player until we could get Deron or CP3, he wasn't in the teams future plans. Chandler probably wasn't going to be back after this season. Gallo plays the same position as Melo, and Melo is a huge upgrade. And Mozgov has potential but hardly has shown anything outside a game or two this season.

Not to mention we also get back Billups who is as good if not better than Felton, as well as Brewer who will be a solid guy off the bench.

The team is still a huge work in progress, but we're better with Melo and Stat as building blocks than Stat and some average pieces.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:01 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Was Mozgov included in the deal? According to the Yahoo article, he wasn't:

Quote:
The Denver Nuggets have finally completed their long-awaited trade to send Carmelo Anthony(notes) to the New York Knicks.

To acquire Anthony, the Knicks are sending Danilo Gallinari(notes), Raymond Felton(notes), Wilson Chandler(notes), the Knicks’ 2014 first-round pick, two second-round picks New York acquired from the Golden State Warriors in the David Lee sign-and-trade and $3 million. The Knicks will also trade Anthony Randolph(notes) and Eddy Curry’s(notes) expiring contract to the Minnesota Timberwolves, who will send Corey Brewer(notes) to New York. The Knicks will receive Anthony, Chauncey Billups(notes), Shelden Williams(notes), Renaldo Balkman(notes) and Anthony Carter.

More From Marc J. SpearsKobe commands All-Star stage again Feb 21, 2011 Knicks revise offer for Anthony Feb 21, 2011
Carmelo Anthony is headed to the Knicks in a blockbuster trade with the Nuggets that also includes the Timberwolves.

(Jim Prisching/AP Photo)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...nyknicks022111

It mentions that Denver wanted him and stated so on Saturday, but in the above listed final trade, he's not. Misprint may be?

Old
02-22-2011, 06:19 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Had a lot of hope for the Russian and the Italian, Felton was a great great pick up by Donnie. Curry is a bump. I knew we'd lose Chandler in the off-season if we pushed hard for Melo so that was ok plus he's been playing crap for over a month now.

I'm ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED that we hung onto FIELDS!! This kid is gonna be a star.

MELO!! STAT!!! FIELDSY!!!

Yup. The guy was a bum in Charlotte. Didnt expect him to play as good as he did with NYK.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
pld459666

Felton had a shelf life here in NY, so his loss today was nothing to get worried over as he would have been moved to make room for a better PG during next season anyway.

Gallo, a nice little player that was going to the bench should the Knicks been able to pull off a trade for Melo without including him.

Chandler was a goner this summer

Mozgov? Seriously?

This is a deal the Knicks HAD to make.

They are a much more dangerous team to play against right now.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Was Mozgov included in the deal? According to the Yahoo article, he wasn't:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...nyknicks022111

It mentions that Denver wanted him and stated so on Saturday, but in the above listed final trade, he's not. Misprint may be?
Sadly, I think it's just bad writing. Check the end of the article.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

So we also got Utah's 1st round pick for Minny, what were they doing?

Old
02-22-2011, 07:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
So we also got Utah's 1st round pick for Minny, what were they doing?
A number of writers tweeter pretty emphatically last night that this was NOT he case. Do we have confirmation of the pick anywhere?

Old
02-22-2011, 07:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

So do the Knicks not have a first round draft pick until 2015?

Before Denver even gets to use that 2014 1st round pick, will be at the end of his 3 year deal (If that is what he signs with the Knicks) already and possibly leaving the Knicks if he isn't happy. That's weird...lol

Old
02-22-2011, 08:25 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Bottom line this was a good trade for the Knicks.

They were a .500 team in the East. If they were out in the West they would be awful.
They took advantage of an easy early schedule. They haven't been the same since. They've come back down to earth I guess you can say.

Mozgov - They lost perhaps a capable big but he's replaceable.

Chandler - Was gone anyway. Unless you wanted to pay him 10 mill +.

Gallinari - Plays the same position as Carmelo. Carmelo is 100 times better. Good shooter but not great. Inconsistent.

Curry - LOL

Randolph - Never played.

Felton - lateral move. Billups is probably a slight upgrade.

As far as I'm concerned, nothing to complain about.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
xxxZENxxx

Not sure about D.Williams, but C.Paul is pretty much a lock to be here in 2012. It is all about luring stars to your team in today's NBA, because more stars will come. Finding role players is the easy part, which is evident by all the other teams that started with 2 or 3 stars (Heat, Celtics, etc.).

Old
02-22-2011, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I dont really follow basketball too much, (i used to) but what I do know is that if you want to win in this league you need 2 or 3 big time players. Its not like hockey or baseball where you actually need a team. The right two players is all you need to succeed, and just surround those guys with complimenting pieces.

Again, i dont know how the dynamics (I know the players dealt though) of the Knicks system comes into play but when you can get a player of this caliber you go out and do it even if its at the expense of the picks and other guys. This is a star driven league on the court, in the media and in the stands, so I dont think theres much the Knicks wouldnt give up to land Melo.

Now i could be wrong, if some people think that Melo isnt that type of player, but im sure hearing that he is at that elite level.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Stars alone don't win anything in the NBA. You need a deep bench and you need great team defense, particularly under the hoop. The Knicks have neither.
Totally agree.

So now instead of the Knicks losing 101-93 they'll lose 129-124

Old
02-22-2011, 09:46 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Totally agree.

So now instead of the Knicks losing 101-93 they'll lose 129-124
D doesn't use his bench, anyway.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Yup. The guy was a bum in Charlotte. Didnt expect him to play as good as he did with NYK.
Really? He was a perfect fit for D'Antoni's system, I thought. I figured he'd blossom just as he did, really. He's a true product of the system, IMHO.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

Trivial little question, I wonder what number Melo wears? 15 is retired.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
D doesn't use his bench, anyway.
That's not really true. He just doesn't use his bench when his bench sucks, and he's only had one season where he had a solid bench (in PHX). I don't remember a team that he coached that had more than 7 or 8 quality players.

Old
Miller Time NYR

Well hopefully this doesn't turn out like the 100 million dollar man in jersey
Trade for him mid season, sign him to crazy money in the offseason and then.....

Old
02-22-2011, 10:09 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Rumor is not only do we get a 1st round pick from Minny (no idea what year -- what was said is first available after a pick is sent to Houston). ALSO, we get back Curry's 11M trade exception.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I do believe we have a roster spot open, and we have now Billups, Carter and TD, but I think someone who I thought would translate well to the NBA but wasn't drafted a couple years ago was Villanova star Scottie Reynolds. I honestly think he could be better then Douglas, yet he is dwelling in the D-League.

He's also learning how to play the PG position. I think anyone who watched him in the Big East knew he could score with and player in the NCAA and he can still do that. He is now learning how to distribute the ball. He has size (6'2 190) and is good defensively. Do you think he could have a shot of getting onto a team, and could you see the Knicks giving this guy a shot?

Old
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I do believe we have a roster spot open, and we have now Billups, Carter and TD, but I think someone who I thought would translate well to the NBA but wasn't drafted a couple years ago was Villanova star Scottie Reynolds. I honestly think he could be better then Douglas, yet he is dwelling in the D-League.

He's also learning how to play the PG position. I think anyone who watched him in the Big East knew he could score with and player in the NCAA and he can still do that. He is now learning how to distribute the ball. He has size (6'2 190) and is good defensively. Do you think he could have a shot of getting onto a team, and could you see the Knicks giving this guy a shot?
Completely forgot about that guy, wondered what happened with him.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

If the rumors are true about the trade exception, we can use that and some parts to grab a center. Would be very ideal.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Don't know if this has been posted but the Knicks also got Shelden Williams, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, and Corey Brewer- all of whom are pretty bad.

Closed Thread