HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gauthier right to deal so many picks?

Old
02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
It really is ridiculous. Our defensive depth after the OB trade:

Markov
Gorges
Spacek
Hamrlik
Gill
Subban
Picard
Weber

Easily one of the deepest corps in the league, not to mention they acquired Wiz as well. It and goaltending are easily our biggest strengths.
Depth wise ? After price and Ramo we dont have anything.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:30 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Gauthier is a tool and I sincerely hate him
you re a pretty big idiot yourself though.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 11:44 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
you re a pretty big idiot yourself though.
somethin wrong big guy? seem a bit cranky

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSubban View Post
Agreed. I'm just saying it's unfair to label Colborne as a second rounder already.
Nobody is labelling him...but given his development so far his trade value is less than a 1st rounder IMHO.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gauthier is a tool and I sincerely hate him
What makes Gauthier a tool and you hating him?

Old
02-20-2011, 06:39 AM
WhiskeySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Depth wise ? After price and Ramo we dont have anything.
You don't need crazy goaltending depth. Goos goalies are always easy to come by, and elite ones are untradeable, so there's no problem.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What makes Gauthier a tool and you hating him?
no plan, no clue.

The mere fact that he'd give away SK for a UFA who is now in the minors is a HUGE failure. Sergei wanted to play, yes he was immature and a shmuck, but at least let him show what he can do and then trade him mid season for more than just Air. Sergei is far better player than Andrei as it seems. The fact that JM didn't like him is not an excuse -- PG needs to intervene in such a situation make sure the coach and player can find a middle ground until things improve or until a change that is beneficial to the team can be made.

And I don't believe that Sergei was this evil cancer who poisoned the room... he had some immaturity / issues ... because HE WANTED TO PLAY. And he's proving to be a guy that could of helped our top 6.

A GM needs to stand-up to his coach on such issues; not the other way around... because at the end of the day, JM should not dictate what PG needs to do ... not in all situations. There needs to be a middle ground, and trading SK proves that JM has too much control or that PG is clueless.

Laps for Mara essentially? Why?

If Wiz doesn't re-sign is that a good trade for a rental to a team that has holes and is not a contender? What's the point? ... I doubt Wiz returns.

Why trade O'byrne? But I admit that Bournival looks like a decent pick-up. But I rather trade prospects for prospects vs young cheap NHL ready players.

Eller and Ian Schultz for Halak? He could of milked more and there was no reason for him to pull the trigger on that trade so early... He could of waited ... it's not like he would be getting less the longer he waited.

And I'm sure he had input in acquiring mr. 7.3

Last edited by coolasprICE: 02-20-2011 at 09:20 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
A defense that has Markov and Gorges missing most of the season....

Any team would look without depth once two of their best Dmen are out for the season.

What age are you????

Take out Pronger and Coburn from the Flyers for the rest of the season, and surely, their D's depth will then look awful.

We've just added one the future best Dman in this league with our drafting. Habs is still among the 10 best defense in the league without Markov and Gorges.

The level of realism has really gone down around here.
The Canucks blueline has been hit harder then the Habs. Don't see them trading their draft picks for rent a players though.

Look around the league. Dmen are always going down, good gm's plan for those injuries.

How many other teams have had to deal three draft picks, just to get by? None that I know of.

Realism would be expecting to have some injuries and being prepared instead of having to deal draft picks for players who won't be around for long.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
The Canucks blueline has been hit harder then the Habs. Don't see them trading their draft picks for rent a players though.
The Canucks dont have two top 4 defensemen out for the entire season. A little harder to be flexible when you know damn well that two of them will not ever be there this year, one of them your top defensemen.

The rest of your post is the same thing we went over two pages ago, in that Montreal had one of the deepest defense corps in the league going into this season.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:05 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The Canucks dont have two top 4 defensemen out for the entire season. A little harder to be flexible when you know damn well that two of them will not ever be there this year, one of them your top defensemen.

The rest of your post is the same thing we went over two pages ago, in that Montreal had one of the deepest defense corps in the league going into this season.
The opinions that matter are the Habs themselves.

With all the injuries on the blueline they have only recalled two dmen from Hamilton, one of whom Nash was barely for a cup of coffee. They clearly have little faith in what's down there.

Contrast that with the forwards, Pacioretty, Desharnais and White have all come up and pretty much fit right in. They have not had to deal draft picks to fill roles up front.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
no plan, no clue.

The mere fact that he'd give away SK for a UFA who is now in the minors is a HUGE failure. Sergei wanted to play, yes he was immature and a shmuck, but at least let him show what he can do and then trade him mid season for more than just Air. Sergei is far better player than Andrei as it seems. The fact that JM didn't like him is not an excuse -- PG needs to intervene in such a situation make sure the coach and player can find a middle ground until things improve or until a change that is beneficial to the team can be made.

And I don't believe that Sergei was this evil cancer who poisoned the room... he had some immaturity / issues ... because HE WANTED TO PLAY. And he's proving to be a guy that could of helped our top 6.

A GM needs to stand-up to his coach on such issues; not the other way around... because at the end of the day, JM should not dictate what PG needs to do ... not in all situations. There needs to be a middle ground, and trading SK proves that JM has too much control or that PG is clueless.

If Wiz doesn't re-sign is that a good trade for a rental to a team that has holes and is not a contender? What's the point? ... I doubt Wiz returns.

Why trade O'byrne? But I admit that Bournival looks like a decent pick-up. But I rather trade prospects for prospects vs young cheap NHL ready players.

Eller and Ian Schultz for Halak? He could of milked more and there was no reason for him to pull the trigger on that trade so early... He could of waited ... it's not like he would be getting less the longer he waited.

SK got tons of chances here, for 3 straight years he was given a shot at top 6 ice time. Last year was the last straw, he had a poor attitude and showed up to camp 15lbs overweight(210lbs), missed a team bus and the team leaders grew tired of him to the point that they didn't want him around last year. Even last year despite his poor attitude and work ethic he was given more than one chace and didn't take advantage. As a GM at some point you have to cut bait, he got what he could for a guy that other GM's knew was trouble...do you think that if 10-12 other GM's thought he would ahve the year he is having that Boyd and Ellis would have been Gauthier's best option??? It's not just about the coach, the Assistant coaches and team laders had enough of SK.

Players like that happen all the time, guys have poor success in one place and get waived, go unsigned or traded cheap and explode elswhere...look at Versteeg(Boston), Peverley(Nashville), Moulson(LA), Parenteau(Anhaeim), MacArthur(Atlanta), Grabner(Florida)...it doesn't make all those GM's idiots I don't think.

We got Mara and Festerling for Lapierre...all depth players...Lpaierre was unhappy on the 4th line here and has done nothing in Anaheim to prove he is any better there.

They ttraded O'byrne because Jm lost confidence in him, that was pretty obvious last year and this year. It sucks because I liked him but at least we got a good prospect back...it opened up a s pot for Weber though and he has been a nice addition...though we miss OB's physical game and toughness.

...by waiting on Halak if anything the market could have dried up, a bunch of decent goalies ended up UFA on july 1st plus guys like Thomas, Schneider and Bernier were said to be available for the right price...then Niemi ended up a UFa after his arbitration. If Gauthier had better options, I have yet to hear about them...it's esay to be the armchair quaterback and suggest trades, but as a GM you have to deal in real life and there has to be another GM willing to pay for your player.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
SK got tons of chances here, for 3 straight years he was given a shot at top 6 ice time. Last year was the last straw, he had a poor attitude and showed up to camp 15lbs overweight(210lbs), missed a team bus and the team leaders grew tired of him to the point that they didn't want him around last year. Even last year despite his poor attitude and work ethic he was given more than one chace and didn't take advantage. As a GM at some point you have to cut bait, he got what he could for a guy that other GM's knew was trouble...do you think that if 10-12 other GM's thought he would ahve the year he is having that Boyd and Ellis would have been Gauthier's best option??? It's not just about the coach, the Assistant coaches and team laders had enough of SK.

Players like that happen all the time, guys have poor success in one place and get waived, go unsigned or traded cheap and explode elswhere...look at Versteeg(Boston), Peverley(Nashville), Moulson(LA), Parenteau(Anhaeim), MacArthur(Atlanta), Grabner(Florida)...it doesn't make all those GM's idiots I don't think.

We got Mara and Festerling for Lapierre...all depth players...Lpaierre was unhappy on the 4th line here and has done nothing in Anaheim to prove he is any better there.

They ttraded O'byrne because Jm lost confidence in him, that was pretty obvious last year and this year. It sucks because I liked him but at least we got a good prospect back...it opened up a s pot for Weber though and he has been a nice addition...though we miss OB's physical game and toughness.

...by waiting on Halak if anything the market could have dried up, a bunch of decent goalies ended up UFA on july 1st plus guys like Thomas, Schneider and Bernier were said to be available for the right price...then Niemi ended up a UFa after his arbitration. If Gauthier had better options, I have yet to hear about them...it's esay to be the armchair quaterback and suggest trades, but as a GM you have to deal in real life and there has to be another GM willing to pay for your player.
Funny, the same thing goes for AK but you defend him. Just like his brother he and we are better off without them!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Funny, the same thing goes for AK but you defend him. Just like his brother he and we are better off without them!
AK doesn't have the poot attitude or off ice party habits that his brother had.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
AK doesn't have the poot attitude or off ice party habits that his brother had.
maybe he should so he could have an impact like his brother is having with his new team

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
no plan, no clue.

You're absolutely right on this one. He could have swapped the first round picks - still draft Tinordi - and keep his second-round pick in the process.

Shultz will be a carreer ECHL-AHL player. 0 points in 26 games... ouch !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote