HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Habit11

vCash: 500
What we've heard from some of the TSN guys (Dreger, McKenzie, McGuire) is that the Habs are interested in Phillips. Phillips however, wants to stay in Ottawa. Ottawa probably would want to re-sign him at a home town discount, but it's up to Phillips whether or not he would agree. His agent was apparently suppose to have met with Murray already. Again, this is what we've heard from the TSN guys, so maybe he's agreed to waive, and will only do so for the Habs to stay within a few hours of his home. Or maybe he hasn't, and EK is blowing smoke. We'll know soon enough.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Roulin

I don't know if Ottawa's new GM will want to make Phillips part of the rebuild. With Karlsson, Rundblad and Cowen emerging, I would be hesitant to pay Phillips what he's worth for more than 3 years. Although maybe he'd take a shorter/cheaper deal to remain with the Sens? My first instinct is that it may be best for him to move on.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind if Montreal traded for Phillips but not if he re-signed in Ottawa. Phillips does not make Montreal a cup contender so why bother giving up assets if the guy is just going to re-sign in Ottawa?

Old
02-22-2011, 06:57 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I wouldn't mind if Montreal traded for Phillips but not if he re-signed in Ottawa. Phillips does not make Montreal a cup contender so why bother giving up assets if the guy is just going to re-sign in Ottawa?
Yeah I agree, honestly trade for another 7th D and give up minimal assets, just to plug holes, but don't make significant trades when they wont do squat for us, and its obvious Phillips is going back to Ottawa in the UFA season.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Phillips makes lots of sense since he has played for Martin/Pearn. I like the guy but if he isn't interested in staying here after the season and wants to head back to Ottawa, we better not be giving them anything good

Old
02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Why? Because his team, Ottawa, would get something in return for a month and a half worth of games. And then, Chris goes back to Ottawa like nothing happened, but the key is Ottawa is one prospect/pick richer and Montreal (a division rival) is down a prospect/pick. Who wouldn't do the same?
I agree - for example Joe Corvo.

Edited to add - I don't know if Corvo had a NTC last year but nonetheless he re-signed in Carolina anyhow. As said if Philips wants to be part of the rebuild he'd be helping that effort by allowing Ottawa to get something.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:07 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Phillips makes lots of sense since he has played for Martin/Pearn. I like the guy but if he isn't interested in staying here after the season and wants to head back to Ottawa, we better not be giving them anything good
if a rental, hope not much back,

Old
02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
alexstream

I'd really like if we could get both Neil and Phillips. IMO it'd really add some much needed character to the team.
what could they want?
I'd hope we can fool them with guys like Maxwell.. lol

Old
02-22-2011, 09:05 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Let's say Gomez is really traded before the trade deadline. How about a second trade where the Habs would get Jason Arnott to replace Gomez on the 2nd/3rd line? Arnott isn't what he once was but he couldn't really be worst than what we have in Gomez...

It could also give some more icetime to DD.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Been saying it for weeks...it's not worth trading assets for Chris Phillips.

#1. He's not having a very good season and it's very debateable whether or not he can actually help the Habs

#2. He wants to stay in Ottawa

I don't want Chris Phillips at all, and Kovalev either...the only Sens player I wouldn't midn seeing on the habs is Chris Neil, but even him I think is going to cost the Habs alot because it's divisional trade and not to mention that Chris Neil's contract is just putrid.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
WestIslander

Phillips to Montreal (e4)

I think that Gauthier is going to attempt to land Phillips and either Foligno or Neil.

I would love to see a ''Neil - White - Moen'' line in the playoffs and against Boston.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
rico320023

Brad Boyes. So far Montreal (e3),

Old
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
IF PG could land Foligno and Neil, I'd be so happy. I think I'd cry.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:11 AM
FF de Mars

I hope they don't trade AK for Phillips.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:22 AM
RE-HABS

Foligno is going no where, he is a part of the rebuild in Ottawa, he is still young.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I like how people are thinking the Habs will get Phillips now since it's an (e4), but most everyone says Eklund knows nothing and is always wrong.

heh.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Papa Bear

On CKAC this morning, Dany Dube and the morning host (Michel Langevin) basically both said that Chris Phillips had agreed to waive his no trade clause and would be willing to come to Montreal. They said the hang up was that Ottawa was trying to trade Kuba, and that if they did, they would probably keep Phillips.

Martin McGuire (french radio play-by-play) said yesterday that Pierre Gauthier told B Murray to get back to him before making a deal for Phillips and that, given the relationship between the two, there would be no qualms making a deal between Ott and Montreal.

Sorry for no link, but all their audio stuff is usually available on their site. Although funny enough, the Dany Dube interview is not up yet. Maybe check back later.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I keep forgetting we got Mara. So why now would we be getting Phillips and who would be out if everyone is healthy or semi healthy or a quarter healthy enough to play? That doesn't even include Spacek.

Hamrlik
Subban
Wisniewski
Gill
Weber
Mara

Picard
Spacek ???????
Gorges: done
Markov: done

Old
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I keep forgetting we got Mara. So why now would we be getting Phillips and who would be out if everyone is healthy or semi healthy or a quarter healthy enough to play? That doesn't even include Spacek.

Hamrlik
Subban
Wisniewski
Gill
Weber
Mara

Picard
Spacek ???????
Well if Spacek, Gorges and Markov are out, we have to replace them with three defensemen. Wisniewski, Mara and say Phillips. Mara replaces Spacek but we still haven't replaced Gorges. Phillips would be that guy.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I like how people are thinking the Habs will get Phillips now since it's an (e4), but most everyone says Eklund knows nothing and is always wrong.

heh.
To be honest I don't know how anyone could be happy if we landed Phillips. Unless it's like an 8th round pick or something and even then he's likely to go right back to Ottawa.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post

Hamrlik
Subban
Wisniewski
Gill
Weber
Mara

Picard
Spacek ???????
Phillips is a legit top 4 shutdown guy that can play 22-23 minutes a night. A deluxe version of Gorges.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I don't know how anyone could be happy if we landed Phillips. Unless it's like an 8th round pick or something and even then he's likely to go right back to Ottawa.
He's a rental just like Wisniewski...I think we'd be nuts to pass him up for a 3rd or 4th even if he doesn't sign here. Before trading more than that i'd want to talk to his agent and see where he wants to play and what he is looking for.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
An 8th round pick would be a sweet deal.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
An 8th round pick would be a sweet deal.
Is there even an 8th round anymore?

Old
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Swe_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Is there even an 8th round anymore?
No, and that's why.

Closed Thread