HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 New York Knicks Thread (Playoff Edition--All NBA Discussion)

View Poll Results: Melo is a Knick! Feelings on the deal?
Great trade! Terrific value, incredible player. 35 25.55%
Good trade. Melo is tremendous, but the price is a little steep. 69 50.36%
Not sure yet. I'll wait and see. 13 9.49%
Poor trade. Way too much was given up. 15 10.95%
Awful trade! Melo is not what we need, and we were fleeced. 5 3.65%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Don't know if this has been posted but the Knicks also got Shelden Williams, Renaldo Balkman, Anthony Carter, and Corey Brewer- all are whom are pretty bad.
Haha, we all know that, man. Check the other thread.

The only thing unknown is if we are actually getting Curry's trade exception back and a 1st rounder from Minny.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

The only thing unknown is if we are actually getting Curry's trade exception back and a 1st rounder from Minny.
Ahhhh ok. I just figured that out like 15 minutes ago.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

That 1st from Minny wouldn't be their first rounder, would it? If we get that, we'll have another lottery rookie on the team next year or use it as an asset in the next couple days to acquire a center.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
That 1st from Minny wouldn't be their first rounder, would it? If we get that, we'll have another lottery rookie on the team next year or use it as an asset in the next couple days to acquire a center.
Not next year. Like 2015. That's the rumor.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

Wednesday is gonna be nuts.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Anthony, guards Chauncey Billups and Anthony Carter, center Shelden Williams and forward Renaldo Balkman will go to New York, in exchange for guard Raymond Felton, forwards Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler, center Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks' first-round pick in 2014 and second-round picks in 2012 and 2013 originally acquired from Golden State, along with $3 million in cash. In a separate deal, the Knicks will send unused center Eddy Curry's expiring contract, along with forward Anthony Randolph and another $3 million, to the Minnesota Timberwolves for small forward Corey Brewer.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Old
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

If CAA was involved in this as some are speculating, then I expect CP3 to be a Knick by the start of the 2012-3 season.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If CAA was involved in this as some are speculating, then I expect CP3 to be a Knick by the start of the 2012-3 season.
Aaaaah, but with what $$$? Under the current CBA, they don't have enough cash to make another max offer. Unless Carmelo is going to give the team a discount on his extension (yeah, that's a likely story...)? Will Paul be willing to take a significant discount to fit under the cap? I know I'd be pissed if I was him.

Of course the prospect of a new CBA makes this all a big wild card, but depending on how much similarity it has to the old one, we may be effed on getting that third star...

Old
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Prediction: Mike D'Antoni doesn't last through next season.

Stars alone don't win anything in the NBA. You need a deep bench and you need great team defense, particularly under the hoop. The Knicks have neither.
This trade wasn't made to win the championship this year, so D'antoni isn't going anywhere.

And stars may not win championships alone, but they are the ones that carry you there. And we do not know what our bench will look like in 1-2 years. So saying we have none is silly. Plus if a deep bench is needed to win a championship, then I guess we can cross the Heat off the list this year.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Aaaaah, but with what $$$? Under the current CBA, they don't have enough cash to make another max offer. Unless Carmelo is going to give the team a discount on his extension (yeah, that's a likely story...)? Will Paul be willing to take a significant discount to fit under the cap? I know I'd be pissed if I was him.

Of course the prospect of a new CBA makes this all a big wild card, but depending on how much similarity it has to the old one, we may be effed on getting that third star...
Reports are that he is willing to take less to come to NY.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Reports are that he is willing to take less to come to NY.
Yeah... I read the same reports and believe them. I think that CP3 to NYK has been the plan the whole time, which is why they went hard after Melo. CP3, Melo, and Stat is just plain ridiculous.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Two factors, (and this is my own inference) -

1) I continue to put weight on Ian O'Connor's disclosure on Sunday that Paul has informed the Knicks through intermeidaries that he will take less to join the Knicks if Melo is here. (This is also why I take it as important that CAA may have played a big part in this deal.)

2) Between Billups and Turiaf, the Knicks would have enough space to deal for Paul prior to next year's deadline. Plus, depending upon what the next CBA looks like, just like the Heat were able to add Bosh and LBJ to Wade, the Knicks would have just about enough space to add Paul in the summer, as long as the renounce everyone else...which is why losing the assets the Knicks did to make this deal isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. By getting Melo, it signals to me that the Knicks are going all in for Paul. In order to complete the triumvirate, they had to get Melo, even if it potentially meant overpaying to get him.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

With all these guys 'super grouping' themselves to these teams I hope none of them win, including the Knicks.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Two factors, (and this is my own inference) -

1) I continue to put weight on Ian O'Connor's disclosure on Sunday that Paul has informed the Knicks through intermeidaries that he will take less to join the Knicks if Melo is here. (This is also why I take it as important that CAA may have played a big part in this deal.)

2) Between Billups and Turiaf, the Knicks would have enough space to deal for Paul prior to next year's deadline. Plus, depending upon what the next CBA looks like, just like the Heat were able to add Bosh and LBJ to Wade, the Knicks would have just about enough space to add Paul in the summer, as long as the renounce everyone else...which is why losing the assets the Knicks did to make this deal isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. By getting Melo, it signals to me that the Knicks are going all in for Paul. In order to complete the triumvirate, they had to get Melo, even if it potentially meant overpaying to get him.
If you're right about point 1, then ok - problem solved. But I would sure be annoyed as CP3. I mean, I'd be happy to take a little less if everyone else did too, but he's going to be asked to shoulder not only his share, but that of Amar'e and Melo too. That becomes a LOT of money. Of which Amar'e/Melo (we presume - Melo still has to sign) weren't prepared to sacrifice even a third, much less the whole nut as Paul will be expected to do.

As to point 2, I understand that they'll have the cap space - but what assets will they have to trade? It's all well and good that we'll be able to fit him in, but what will we have to offer NO in the way of a return? Simply taking him off their hands for expiring contracts without offering any talent is not a compelling offer. It's effectively the same as letting him go to FA and basically saving the cost of one or two pay checks with nothing else to show for it on the NO side... (Which is another reason it sucks to have to give up almost all our marketable assets in this deal.)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 02-22-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
With all these guys 'super grouping' themselves to these teams I hope none of them win, including the Knicks.
Yeah, it's not a trend I'm happy with. The best stars in the game will be spread amongst a small handful of teams. Takes some of the sense of rivalry out of it...IMO.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:01 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Jesus, prices for every Knick home game on StubHub are through the roof now. I'm not paying 70 or 80 bucks to sit up in the blue.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
If you're right about point 1, then ok - problem solved. But I would sure be annoyed as CP3. I mean, I'd be happy to take a little less if everyone else did too, but he's going to be asked to shoulder not only his share, but that of Amar'e and Melo too. That becomes a LOT of money. A lot of money and Amar'e and Melo weren't (we presume - Melo still has to sign) even prepared to take a third each, much less the whole nut as Paul will be expected to do.

As to point 2, I understand that they'll have the cap space - but what assets will they have to trade? It's all well and good that we'll be able to fit him in, but will we have to offer NO in the way of a return? Simply taking him off their hands for expiring contracts without offering any talent is not a compelling offer. It's effectively the same as letting him go to FA and basically saving the cost of one or two pay checks with nothing else to show for it on the NO side... (Which is another reason it sucks to have to give up almost all our marketable assets in this deal.)
What did they actually give up for Melo...okay, Gallo was a lottery pick, but Chandler was a late 1st, Felton was a moderately priced UFA, and Mozgov was an overseas UFA. They're supposedly adding a TPE and #1 from Minnesota in the AR/Fatso deal. And, they can likely continue to purchase #1 picks. Plus, you may get a buyers market if both CP3 and DWill are headed to free agency at the same time.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
This trade wasn't made to win the championship this year, so D'antoni isn't going anywhere.
Well, that's why I said next year, not this year.

Quote:
And stars may not win championships alone, but they are the ones that carry you there. And we do not know what our bench will look like in 1-2 years. So saying we have none is silly. Plus if a deep bench is needed to win a championship, then I guess we can cross the Heat off the list this year.
Carmelo is not Lebron. Wade is one of the best defenders in the league, and Lebron is no slouch in that department, either. The Heat's bench would look a lot better if Udonis Haslem wasn't out for the year, also.

Old
02-22-2011, 12:16 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Trivial little question, I wonder what number Melo wears? 15 is retired.
30 is the rumor cause he loved Bernard King

Old
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Sunday night...Knicks vs. Heat

I call most watched Knick game....maybe ever!

Old
02-22-2011, 02:35 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Tons to digest off Walsh/D'Antoni media scrum: Knicks won't get a 1st rd pick from MIN. It was in talks, but left on cutting room floor.
-Hahn on twitter.

Disappointing.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
Sunday night...Knicks vs. Heat

I call most watched Knick game....maybe ever!
I wouldn't say ever. But probably in the past 10 years.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's nice. So don't watch. Or go be a Nets fan.

Old
02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

More on Twitter from the press conference:

Quote:
D'Antoni on giving up a lot for a star: "We can sit here at 28-26 for the rest of our life and say, 'We've got a nice group.'"
-Hahn

Quote:
Knicks still waiting for conf call to make Melo deal official. Holdup is that Melo is signing 3yr extension. Contract has to be done first.
Quote:
Knicks unsure whether all players will be present and eligible for game Weds. All players in deal must report/pass physicals for any to play
-Beck

Old
02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Well, that's why I said next year, not this year.

Carmelo is not Lebron. Wade is one of the best defenders in the league, and Lebron is no slouch in that department, either. The Heat's bench would look a lot better if Udonis Haslem wasn't out for the year, also.
Granted, the Knicks bench would have looked a lot better if Azubuike had not been out all year as well.

Closed Thread