HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #8

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Damn, that deal is actually annoying, not so much for this year, but Pitt is going to have to a frickin sick top-6 when they get healthy.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
anyone see that thread about the col/la blockbuster rumor on the main board? doesnt seem like a trade that wouldnt benifit either team. I honestly cant see LA dealing Bernier. The drop off is pretty significant in goal in the organization afer him. I think Martin Jones has some potential but Jeff Zatkoff ****ing sucks.
It's a waste for the Kings to keep Bernier though if there are still teams out there who will give up assets as if he was still a potential number one. It's pretty clear now that Jon Quick is for real and is still young.

Old
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Damn, that deal is actually annoying, not so much for this year, but Pitt is going to have to a frickin sick top-6 when they get healthy.
I'm not sure we know this. If Crosby loses his ability to process information faster than everyone else (i.e. "slow the game down") from this type of major concussion, he goes from a 100 point superstar to 60 point solid top 6 type guy.

You just have to wait and see.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm not sure we know this. If Crosby loses his ability to process information faster than everyone else (i.e. "slow the game down") from this type of major concussion, he goes from a 100 point superstar to 60 point solid top 6 type guy.

I'd say the odds of this happening are extremely low. I don't think he has concussion history and considering Malkin's injury as well, I doubt the Pens will rush him back, they can afford to write off this year if they have to.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 02-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'd say the odds of this happening are extremely low. I don't think he has concussion and considering Malkin's injury as well, I doubt the Pens will rush him back, they can afford to write off this year if they have to.
He's been out 8 weeks, and you don't think he has a concussion?

Old
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
MountainHawk

Um, someone tell Consol Energy the arena needs more power or something.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
He's been out 8 weeks, and you don't think he has a concussion?
Sorry, I meant concussion history, multi-tasking here and making typos everywhere.

Old
02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:

No way this changes Crosby long-term, except that you have to watch out to see if he's more prone to post-concussion syndrome in the future. To even suggest that he's suddenly going to become a 60-point player is ridiculous.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
zarley zelepukin

Looks like the Pens are on heightened awareness for anybody who runs Cooke. Bradley got a charging penalty for a hit that looked pretty clean to me, although the elbow may have come up. Staal jumped Bradley immediately and later he had to answer with a fight.

Old
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Terence Peterman

GD Penguins.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
The NHL has signed a $375M sponsorship deal with Molson/Coors:

Quote:
With the busiest stretch of events on the NHL schedule now completed, league executives are reaching for a cold one.

Molson Canadian is set to become the official beer of the NHL as part of a sponsorship agreement announced Tuesday that is believed to be the most lucrative in league history.

Terms of the seven-year deal weren't disclosed, but a source with knowledge of negotiations said it came in at slightly more than US$375 million.

"It's a monster deal," NHL chief operating officer John Collins said in an interview. "They're going to have major position across all of our events -- both our existing events as well as a lot of new ones that we hope to create."

The announcement comes days after the Heritage Classic game at Calgary's McMahon Stadium, the second time the NHL went outdoors over a 50-day stretch that also included the all-star game in Raleigh, N.C.

It's part of an aggressive strategy developed by the league in recent years to try and grow its brand by creating a series of major events.
More at: TSN Linkage

02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

First Moulson scores, then Molson scores.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
First Moulson scores, then Molson scores.
It would have been even more significant had Moulson scored on Miller.

Seriously, though, I guess this pushes in favour of the increase in cap for next year.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It would have been even more significant had Moulson scored on Miller.

Seriously, though, I guess this pushes in favour of the increase in cap for next year.
That as well as many other things. A "Big 3" brewer has signed onto the NHL for a long-term ad deal is a news-worthy. This might draw more attention from ESPN and other channels. Whether you want the NHL to go back to ESPN is another topic, but I think a signing like this is enough to turn a few heads. Definitely a good sign that they have confidence in the NHL's ratings and attendance.

Also opens up for our own versions of those NFL Coach press conference commercials:

"Coach Laviolette, my friend says Coca Cola is better than Coors Light."
*Lavy Destroys Coke Machine*
"Told ya."

Old
02-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
No way this changes Crosby long-term, except that you have to watch out to see if he's more prone to post-concussion syndrome in the future. To even suggest that he's suddenly going to become a 60-point player is ridiculous.
Agree with this, look at Lindros as the perfect example. After first concussion (Darius Kasparaitis) was one of the best players in the league for almost another 2 years (with other serious non-concussion injuries during that span.)
After next few minor concussions (if any are minor), still the same level. Until the second big one (Stevens), then he was still an all-star calibre player for 2 more years.
Then after the last big one in his last year in NY, he still was a 60 point player (if he would have played a full year!) Until Dallas, when all the nagging stuff (wrist, PCS, all the rest), made him about a 45-50 point guy.
If Crosby gets another concussion within a year, he could go the same way as Lindros, still a good player in the league, but not elite, if not, he'll continue to be elite.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
chaosof99*

Question to MSE: Not trying to backseat moderate, but if you are opening a new thread already, what exactly is the incentive of having the old one run out to 1000 posts?

Old
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
^

I just asked him the same question.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
A new thread is now open and is a sticky.

Closed Thread