HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do Predator fans think of Cody Franson?

Old
02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
MrSnrub

vCash: 500
What do Predator fans think of Cody Franson?

I'd be interested to know what you think. VERY interested.

MrSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I love him. He has a wicked shot and one of the best releases of a snapshot ive seen. Hes a big guy and he has great stick handling skills for his size, he is used in shootouts every now and then and has been successful. He isnt the fastest skater but he usually has himself in very good position and is solid on d. Hes still improving his game on each ends of the ice but is a def ofd. But he isnt a slouch on d either. When he decides to use his strength and be physical he can really hit, sometimes he just shoves people and they just fall over. I really like Franson a lot, I love his game and I think hes our 3rd best Dman and he has the potential to be a top pairing guy in his career. Definite 2nd pairing guy.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
SK74 Snipes

Cody Franson is going to be one of our top defensmen in the next few years. He is solid with the puck makes good decisions, has a great shot and he can carry the puck through the neutral zone as well as anyone else on our team. His shoot out goal was just a little preview of what he is capable of. Im excited about him and hoping he will be a Predator for a long time.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
kivaerijo

last year..he was my whipping boy. he was slow..out of position a lot..and never used his size.

This year? A TON BETTER! he is still on the slow side..but doesnt get out of position as much, knows when to pinch, has a good shot that seems to get through a lot, has made some great hail mary passes, and even saw him knock a guy down the other night by pushing him. He seems much more comfortable out there, and doesnt seem as hurried anymore. He has turned it around this year, and havent heard his name come out of my mouth negatively much at all this year. Happy to have him, and hope he continues to get better and use his size more.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I love him. He has a wicked shot and one of the best releases of a snapshot ive seen. Hes a big guy and he has great stick handling skills for his size, he is used in shootouts every now and then and has been successful. He isnt the fastest skater but he usually has himself in very good position and is solid on d. Hes still improving his game on each ends of the ice but is a def ofd. But he isnt a slouch on d either. When he decides to use his strength and be physical he can really hit, sometimes he just shoves people and they just fall over. I really like Franson a lot, I love his game and I think hes our 3rd best Dman and he has the potential to be a top pairing guy in his career. Definite 2nd pairing guy.
I like Franson as much as the next guy, and he definetly has a good deal of potential, but there is no way he's our third best defenseman. He plays very protected minutes for the moment and needs a good deal of work defensively. He's got the potential to be very good, but for now he's a 3rd pairing, 2nd unit PP guy.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
I like Franson as much as the next guy, and he definetly has a good deal of potential, but there is no way he's our third best defenseman. He plays very protected minutes for the moment and needs a good deal of work defensively. He's got the potential to be very good, but for now he's a 3rd pairing, 2nd unit PP guy.
I agree with you to an extent. But in terms of his overall play and the offense he contributes when he does play puts him as our 3rd best dman of the year IMO. Minutes dont necessarily reflect who has been better although it does show that players like Klein are playing against better players. But thats no reason to say Klein has been better

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
deanwormer

#4 - ur asking about #4?

Slow. Skating is better than last year, but slow. However, his positioning on D is considerably better, as his anticipation, so his speed is not hurting us nearly as much. I think that reflects not just experience but that he's either a smart or intuitive player.

Co*y. That's his name; still has very little "D" in his game. He plays protected 3rd pair minutes. He doesn't play 4on4 or PK - unless we got guys hurt or in the box. But, as I mentioned above, he's so much better this year with his positioning and such - he might earn a "d" by year-end.

Marshmellow. That's a accurate description of how he played the game last year and this year, up until around the AS break. HUGE improvement since then. Part I like, he's been smart with it. Doesn't over-commit to making a hit and take himself out of position. KK does that too much, although he can sometimes make up for it with his speed - CF isn't gonna' do that. and last couple games - a little edge to his physicality in front of the net. Not Shea or SOB, but if he keeps it up people will have to watch out for him when they camp out in front of Pex.

Puckhandling? Someone said he was strong and could carry through the neutral zone? Perhaps if the D was 5 Ovechkins. For most of the year he panicked under forecheck something awful; made KK look good. Since the AS break, game has been different. He picks his spots to carry the puck and makes good decisions about it. Much calmer under forecheck - still worry about his judgement but he's not panicking like he was.

Shot - upper-half of NHL quality. Wrister/Snap shot. Quick release. Gets it through to the net. Smart with it - doesn't force it. Generally it's well-placed, too - not just in the guys chest. I wish his D or puckmoving was better so he could play 2nd pair minutes - I'd like to see what kinda' points he could put up.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Better than Del Zotto, I'll give him that...

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
jlsg

Gotta agree with most of what dean is saying. Cody has a strong offensive upside but I cringe every time the opposing team breaks towards our zone. A winger has to cover for him on d at least 4 or 5 times a game because he'll pinch and not be able to get back. He has good puck handling skills but he's weak on the puck, especially in our zone. His shot and his offense are great, but he is a defensive liability. I can't count the number of times Smithson and O'Brien have bailed him out.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Nashville fans have a history of placing unreasonable expectations on offensive defensemen. Too often, if they're not a rock defensively, any points they put up are overlooked. I speak more about say, Zidlicky than Delmore...I am being reasonable...but sometimes it seems that way with Franson as well.

I think his skating, speed, physicality, and overall defensive game have improved by leaps and bounds since last year. With that said, he does make mistakes, he does get beat sometimes...but you take the good with the bad. I think his defensive game is good enough to get him by, and his offensive game, especially his first pass and shot, make him a valuable weapon.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

IMO, Franson is better defensively than he will get credit for from most of our fans. He doesn't hit.....ever, but I don't think his positional game is as bad as some will say. We've been spoiled with names like Weber and Suter and Hamhuis, so we have un-realistic expectations for our defensemen. That said, defense is hardly his strength....

I can't add much to what people have said about his shot, except that I have never seen someone that can get it on net more often than Franson. His snap-shots always find a way thorugh traffic. I think he's a Jedi

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceandSulley View Post
I'd be interested to know what you think. VERY interested.
Don't even think about it. He's ours.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I could see him as a good bargaining chip is Blum is not good enough.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Nashville fans have a history of placing unreasonable expectations on offensive defensemen. Too often, if they're not a rock defensively, any points they put up are overlooked. I speak more about say, Zidlicky than Delmore...I am being reasonable...but sometimes it seems that way with Franson as well.

I think his skating, speed, physicality, and overall defensive game have improved by leaps and bounds since last year. With that said, he does make mistakes, he does get beat sometimes...but you take the good with the bad. I think his defensive game is good enough to get him by, and his offensive game, especially his first pass and shot, make him a valuable weapon.
I agree.

He's never going to be Shea Weber defensively, or skating.

Offensively his skill set is nice. Good vision, nice shot with a very quick release, and creative, sees the ice very well.

ES, he's at best a 5 guy and will always need a stay at home guy to play with, but most offensive defensemen are like this. Having said that, more and more lately he's doing a good job along the boards and in front of the net.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
lstcyr

I think he's done fine for a 23 year old defenseman in his second full year. He's on pace to score more than Suter but, obviously, with more needed on the defense side. I seem to remember people yelling about Suter's play in his first and second years.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
token grinder

he is tall

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I think he's done fine for a 23 year old defenseman in his second full year. He's on pace to score more than Suter but, obviously, with more needed on the defense side. I seem to remember people yelling about Suter's play in his first and second years.
How do you figure? Suter has 4 more points in 9 less games played. You mean when Suter was 23? Suter started the 08-09 season at age 23 and put up 45 points.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:13 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is tall
He uses a big stick

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

He wears #4.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
He wears #4.
He's got a cool last name.

He's one of my favourite up and coming guys on the team. Just feel like he has so much potential if he can put it all together.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

My question is, would Franson have been able to get Neal our of Dallas?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

There was a time when I couldn't give my opinion on Franson because less than 1/4 of the words would have made it through the language filters. That said, I think he has improved significantly.

His speed will always be an issue, likely even with encumbrance training, that will limit his effectiveness as a defender, although he has been learning to better offset that lack of speed with smarter timing on hits and pinches. So long as his minutes are limited accordingly, I don't see why he can't be a useful player. He's good with the puck and can knows how to engineer scoring chances with the man advantage.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

He's not Shane O'Brien.

Vancouver can have him back, at this point.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
How do you figure? Suter has 4 more points in 9 less games played. You mean when Suter was 23? Suter started the 08-09 season at age 23 and put up 45 points.
Sorry. I was referencing Suter's second year when he had 8-16-24

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote