HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niemi named first star of the week

Old
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Doubt Mayers is due for much of a raise. Should be doable if he wants to go for both. Whether he wants to do that vs. say Eager and promote Mashinter or McLaren is another story
Both Mayers and Eager are instigator/enforcers. McLaren is more pure enforcer although it would be nice if he picked up his PK game in Woostah. I like the fact that both Mayers and Eager have some speed. I figure DW is going with two guys for the instigator/enforcer role, one in the AHL which would be McLaren. IMO, they have bigger things in mind for Mash. Personally, I like Eager for the scoring touch. They have enough guys for PK for now, Patty, Pavs, Couture, McCarthy, JT, Nichol. I don't like Heater's PK.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Kitten Mittons

I don't like Thornton's or Heater's. Takeaways he got covered but positioning and all is certainly lacking.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 04:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstyles View Post
RFAs: Setoguchi, McGinn, Ferriero, McCarthy, McLaren, Desjardins, Greiss, Stalock, Schaus, Hutton

UFAs: Eager, Nichol, Wellwood, Mayers, White, Huskins, Wallin, Niemi
Greiss will only be a RFA if he **plays** 8 more NHL games; otherwise he'll be a Group VI UFA. (And that's not dressing for 8 more games either.)

Prospects needing contracts: White (or 2nd round compensatory pick 2012), Varone, Beilke, Wrenn

Other RFAs: Davis, Henderson, Swift

Other UFAs: Sullivan, Trevelyan

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
4 mil is pushing it for me with Niemi. He's good, but he's not that good.

However, I think 4 mil is what it would take to sign him HERE. He has no loyalty to us, and he wants to cash in (hopefully successfully this time).

I see him more as someone who signs in the 3.3 to 3.75 range.

Remember, Halak - who had one of the most impressive post seasons I've ever seen in modern post lockout playoffs - has a cap hit of 3.75.

I just think 4+ mil is way too much for Niemi.
niemi also has something that halak couldn't win last year and that is a cup, people might want to dismiss his cup win. but it does add a few extra dollars.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Greiss will only be a RFA if he **plays** 8 more NHL games; otherwise he'll be a Group VI UFA. (And that's not dressing for 8 more games either.)

Prospects needing contracts: White (or 2nd round compensatory pick 2012), Varone, Beilke, Wrenn

Other RFAs: Davis, Henderson, Swift

Other UFAs: Sullivan, Trevelyan
Crap, I don't know why I never considered that Greiss would qualify for Group VI. Basically he's gone then since he'll never get his 8 more games this year in the NHL with the Sharks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
niemi also has something that halak couldn't win last year and that is a cup, people might want to dismiss his cup win. but it does add a few extra dollars.
Going by your logic, Osgood should be making 3.75 mil or more (or at least he should have after winning the cup).

I know that doesn't take age into factor, but really, you're going with the cup argument?

Look what Niemi did with Chicago and then look at what Halak did with Montreal. Consistently facing 50 shots a game as an 8 seed and completing the upset?

I don't dismiss the cup win, but I certainly am not blinded by it. Great, he won a cup. So did Huskins and Wallin, and we want them both gone (or most people do - and especially when we found out that Wallin wasn't at 2.5 but actually 2.65 :barf:!)

My overall point is that the cup is nice, but it isn't everything. Niemi is good, and has been great, but I have a feeling that whoever signs him to that greater than 3.5 mil contract will regret it. I hope I eat my words.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=553625
NHL story on Niemi being named #1 star of the week

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
wraith985

It's worth noting that Niemi had quite a bit of a letdown in Jan/Feb of last year, with sub-.900 save percentages in each month. It hasn't happened yet, but you have to figure that if you keep loading him up with this kind of work, it's going to.

As much as I like Niemi and enjoy making his naysayers eat their unequivocal predictions that he'd never be as good as Niittymaki, he needs a break - and Carter Hutton isn't going to cut it. Nitty needs to get back ASAP and take up some of this workload, because the Sharks don't have the money to pick up another veteran backup unless they somehow unload Wallin in the process.

wraith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith985 View Post
It's worth noting that Niemi had quite a bit of a letdown in Jan/Feb of last year, with sub-.900 save percentages in each month. It hasn't happened yet, but you have to figure that if you keep loading him up with this kind of work, it's going to.

As much as I like Niemi and enjoy making his naysayers eat their unequivocal predictions that he'd never be as good as Niittymaki, he needs a break - and Carter Hutton isn't going to cut it. Nitty needs to get back ASAP and take up some of this workload, because the Sharks don't have the money to pick up another veteran backup unless they somehow unload Wallin in the process.
Niitty is not coming back anytime soon. Sounds like we'll be lucky to have him back for the playoffs even.

Sharks would be wise to pickup a backup if theres a chance he's out for the year. I don't want Hutton as our goalie in the playoffs if Niemi goes down.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
niel094

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
We're not re-signing Aunty no matter what. He only came here to show that he could take another team to the Cup to justify a long term $4-6 mil/year deal. No matter what the Sharks say, Aunty is gone...but for our sakes, it would be nice if he was gone to an East team on July 1 in a 5 year $25 mil or more deal (which would mean we won the cup because nobody would give him that kind of scratch unless he won two cups in a row for two different teams )
actually i wouldnt mind giving niemi 3-4 mill because he deserves it and wallin, huskins, mayers and nichol are all free agents at the end of the season so theres automaticaly 5.55mill in cap space saved. Without niemi there is 7.55 mill. Give niemi 3 mill and get rid of all of them and you still have 4.55 mill in cap which could be used to bring in a great dman and 1 or 2 forwards

niel094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel094 View Post
actually i wouldnt mind giving niemi 3-4 mill because he deserves it and wallin, huskins, mayers and nichol are all free agents at the end of the season so theres automaticaly 5.55mill in cap space saved. Without niemi there is 7.55 mill. Give niemi 3 mill and get rid of all of them and you still have 4.55 mill in cap which could be used to bring in a great dman and 1 or 2 forwards
Trade Mitchell and Nitty.

Then re-sign Niemi, White, Eager, Wellwood and Nichol and our team could look like this:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Devin Setoguchi ($2.250m)
Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Kyle Wellwood ($1.100m) / Benn Ferriero ($0.900m)
Ben Eager ($1.000m) / Scott Nichol ($0.850m) / Cameron MacIntyre ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Dan Boyle ($6.666m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Ian White ($3.500m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
/ Backup dman ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.500m) /Alex Stalock ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $62,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,808,334; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,191,666

Still a lot of cap space to play around with this lineup - add a better top 9 fwd, add another 5/6 dman for $1m, etc.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Give Heatley to the Islanders for scraps. Wang will love having to pay less than his cap hit. Boom cap problem solved.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Going by your logic, Osgood should be making 3.75 mil or more (or at least he should have after winning the cup).

I know that doesn't take age into factor, but really, you're going with the cup argument?

Look what Niemi did with Chicago and then look at what Halak did with Montreal. Consistently facing 50 shots a game as an 8 seed and completing the upset?

I don't dismiss the cup win, but I certainly am not blinded by it. Great, he won a cup. So did Huskins and Wallin, and we want them both gone (or most people do - and especially when we found out that Wallin wasn't at 2.5 but actually 2.65 :barf:!)

My overall point is that the cup is nice, but it isn't everything. Niemi is good, and has been great, but I have a feeling that whoever signs him to that greater than 3.5 mil contract will regret it. I hope I eat my words.
You also said that if niemi and the sharks win the cup this year you wouldn't even budge of going over 3.5 million for a contract. Can you name the last goalie to lead a team to back to back cups? And yes you are right that having cup winners isn't the best all the time especially when said players were minor pieces to the cup win (wallin, huskins). But when that cup winner is a goalie it is a much much different story, the goalie can make or break a team. There have been 0 nhl teams that have won a cup with a horrible goalie.

Just look at chicago this year, basically the same team. Minus the depth upfront and goaltending. This year they are getting huet type goaltending and they are no longer a threat in the west.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

Congrats to Nemo! Has anyone noticed that he does well in big games, etc. I'll be interested to see how he fairs against the Wings tonight, carrer he's 3-0 with a under 2 GAA against them...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Niemi might go July 1st, but it won't be without DW doing whatever is within reason to re-sign him. I have a feeling he places a pretty high value on him. It's really going to depend on what he looks like come post season.

We should trade Nittymaki - the contract isn't bad, but his injury history won't help it. Other GMs will sense why - let's just hope there are goalie needs come FA.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Just look at chicago this year, basically the same team. Minus the depth upfront and goaltending. This year they are getting huet type goaltending and they are no longer a threat in the west.
Disagree big time... They lost effectively their 2nd top 6 line in Ladd, Versteeg, Buffy... and some strong veteran depth and toughness in Eager, Sopel and Madden. Add Niemi's loss and that amounts to more than "basically the same team".

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Give Heatley to the Islanders for scraps. Wang will love having to pay less than his cap hit. Boom cap problem solved.
No-movement clause will prevent that plus Wang will not want Heatley yet because he is still due more salary than his cap hit until after next season.

Quote:
You also said that if niemi and the sharks win the cup this year you wouldn't even budge of going over 3.5 million for a contract. Can you name the last goalie to lead a team to back to back cups? And yes you are right that having cup winners isn't the best all the time especially when said players were minor pieces to the cup win (wallin, huskins). But when that cup winner is a goalie it is a much much different story, the goalie can make or break a team. There have been 0 nhl teams that have won a cup with a horrible goalie.

Excuse me but Niemi was a minor piece to the Cup win. Look at his stats outside of the Sharks series. His save percentage was a hair below 90%. I'm not saying he's a horrible goalie but last year he was average at best except for one series in four games where he was spectacular. So are you going to look at the goalie who had one great series and three others that were average and call him great because the team won the Cup?

Saying Chicago is the same team is absolutely absurd. They had three legitimate scoring lines that is down to one and two-thirds of a scoring line. They're getting better goaltending from Corey Crawford in the same time that they got out of Antti Niemi during the season last year. Niemi is just like any other average goalie. He's average overall with the chance to have exceptional stretches like most average goalies are capable of.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
No-movement clause will prevent that plus Wang will not want Heatley yet because he is still due more salary than his cap hit until after next season.
I don't think Heatly has one, it was void when he waived is because he was already on that current contract, as opposed to Boyle who was signed to a new contract that went into effect after the trade with a NTC. The only thing stopping Heatly from being traded is his salary and probably his history of loyalty.

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlittlefoot View Post
I don't think Heatly has one, it was void when he waived is because he was already on that current contract, as opposed to Boyle who was signed to a new contract that went into effect after the trade with a NTC. The only thing stopping Heatly from being traded is his salary and probably his history of loyalty.
Heatley has it. NTC/NMC's can only be void when they are traded before the contract that contains it goes into effect at the team's discretion. Boyle actually was traded in the infancy of his new contract and not before.

Heatley will have to approve any trade or assignment.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote