HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avs vs. Blues | Feb. 22: Blues got EJ'd! and Stastny raised his trade value!

Old
02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
until you look at our second unit

Jones-Olver-Sta
Porter-Hunwick

Oh...that's what you think. Sacco's had enough losing and has plans of his own. The power play I posted was actually the second unit. Tonight's first unit is going to be:

Konowalchuk - Sacco - Koci
Hunwick - Lefebvre

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
It's going to be Stastny. None of us have a clue what happens in the lockerroom. Listening to Rycroft after the Calgary loss, it sounds like Stastny really steps up in the leadership department.
He hasn't on the ice though. And that is where this team desperately needs a leader. Stastny needs to be one of our most competitive players to be a leader IMO. He is consistent, no doubt, and that is signs of a good player. When the game is on the line, he doesn't elevate his play. I just don't see him as being a great leader. But like you said, nobody here has a clue what goes on off the ice.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
He hasn't on the ice though. And that is where this team desperately needs a leader. Stastny needs to be one of our most competitive players to be a leader IMO. He is consistent, no doubt, and that is signs of a good player. When the game is on the line, he doesn't elevate his play. I just don't see him as being a great leader. But like you said, nobody here has a clue what goes on off the ice.
What's your reasoning for him not being a leader on once?

While he isn't as outspoken as Duchene, he still leads a lot by example (on hom games at least )

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Gumballhead

vCash: 500
Stastny definitely seems like the captain type. He's surely respected in the room, and he's a very sharp hockey player. He doesn't always look like he's doing a lot, but he's always competing. May not be the perfect captain but with this group he's the one, at least until Duchene gets another year or two under his belt.

Also, bang bang dance = captain material.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 12:53 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aittokallio View Post

While he isn't as outspoken as Duchene, he still leads a lot by example (on hom games at least )
There have been so many games this season that the team needed 1 guy to make a difference. Make a few good plays and shift momentum. Make a good play to get a few chances. There haven't been too many that Stastny has done that. There have been a few games where his line gets the cycle going for a shift and gains some momentum. Just not enough IMO. Like I said, he is very consistent and a solid player, but he doesn't elevate his game when this team needs him to. IMO at least. That is what I see. He will be a solid, solid #2 center.

Last edited by bohlmeister: 02-22-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old
02-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJoe View Post
Hoping for an Av's win. I don't want the Blues pick this year if its not top 10.
Not me. By all accounts, I think the Blues pick next year should be in the 15-25 range. That might bring a better player but if we can pick 11-15 this year, I'd take that instead.

Quote:
After this season I doubt Stastny will ever be the C.
Funny how our CURRENT leader gets a giant pass. This season is NOT on Stastny. It's on Sacco, Anderson, Budaj, Hunwick (Sacco) and Stewart in my opinion.

Quote:
I like Stastny as a leader but I think this will be EJ's team before it's all said and done. If the Avs can trade Foote for one last 'kick at the can', maybe we can see 'who steps up' the rest of the way.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Seaward*

It's utterly stupid for us to question the leadership of any players. We are not in the locker room, on the plane, on the bus to the stadium, at the team dinners, etc.

We have no idea who is a leader and worthy of the captain.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

OT: But anybody wanna see a CreamSoda, AvsBoy, the_fan throw down

But yeah, I think the big thing about team captaincy is personality... Langenbrunner was captain in NJD, etc.

I think it's who the guys are most motivated by.

Old
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Quote:
OT: But anybody wanna see a CreamSoda, AvsBoy, the_fan throw down

But yeah, I think the big thing about team captaincy is personality... Langenbrunner was captain in NJD, etc.

I think it's who the guys are most motivated by.
Avsboy would destroy them all.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
volaju

Quote:

Honestly... he's a strange player. The fans who love him can't really pinpoint specific reasons why ("you don't really notice him on the ice, but he's doing a good job"), and the fans who have criticized him have a hard time giving specifics, too. I mean, besides the obvious fact that he's a talentless braggart weaseling in the limelight of his father's career.

But, it's kind of hard to prove a negative. You can't really point to a game and say "see, this is where Stastny wasn't a gamebreaker" because it's just not really fair.

However, I can think of a pretty good metaphor with his play. Something that drives me crazy with Stastny is how many times he will opt not to take a wide open shot, and instead tries to pass the puck to someone else. Sure, if the pass were to get through, the shooter would have an even better scoring chance -- but the passes never seem to make it through, or the guy gets tied up and can't do anything with the puck, etc.

That's a situation where I want to see Stastny play with a bit of swagger for once. Take the team on his shoulders and make the play on his own. I just haven't seen him take that kind of responsibility. That's a little worrisome given this is his fifth season and I kinda expected him to start taking on more responsibility this year. He's always looking to make the perfect pass, and it very rarely works.

Again, I think Stastny will have a successful NHL career. But after this season, I just don't think he's the gamebreaker we were hoping he'd turn out to be. A very good supportive player, good playmaker, solid #2 center. But not someone who is going to carry the team with his play. Who knows, I hope I'm wrong.

As for whether he's captain or not, I don't really care. There have been many teams who have had captains that aren't their most clutch players.

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Not me. By all accounts, I think the Blues pick next year should be in the 15-25 range. That might bring a better player but if we can pick 11-15 this year, I'd take that instead.
The fact that its a weak draft is concerning. Here's what the last weak draft looked like http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html

CB Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
The fact that its a weak draft is concerning. Here's what the last weak draft looked like http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1999e.html
Havlat

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

Quote:
Weak draft doesn't always mean worst draft in the last 15 years.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Sedin, Sedin, Havlat, Leopold, Connolly, Pyat, Commodore, Hagman, Comrie, Malone, Leighton, Erat, Zetterberg, Vrbata, Parros, Finger, Murray

NHL regulars right there.

But yes, the first round was atrocious.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

I thought 1999 was considered to be a "deep" draft leading in, but it fell apart later. Or was that 1996?

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I was under the impression that this was a fairly deep draft, with a lot of quality players well into the 3rd-4th rounds...

I'm going to say that prospects are not my forte of hockey knowledge, I generally rely on those around me to provide me with information

I do get the impression that fans believe this draft to be "weak" because there isn't a bonafide #1...

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Sgarbossy

Looking forward to the debut of Chris "The Avs Killer" Stewart.

Sgarbossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I was under the impression that this was a fairly deep draft, with a lot of quality players well into the 3rd-4th rounds...

I'm going to say that prospects are not my forte of hockey knowledge, I generally rely on those around me to provide me with information

I do get the impression that fans believe this draft to be "weak" because there isn't a bonafide #1...
"Deep" is often a diplomatic way of saying no one is that good.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Blues be **** talking in their thread

Old
02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Johnson's nickname is edge? Like the wrestler.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Johnson's nickname is edge? Like the wrestler.
EJ = "Ehj"

Old
02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Sort of a contradiction here Bendo, the bending poster. If the 15-25th range may bring us the better player, why would you want the 11-15th pick instead?

Next year's draft is Dmen heavy and this year's draft has quite a few players I am not a fan of (never seen them play live or consistently yes, I admit however I believe I have a well enough informed opinion).

If the Avs feel like they can get their guy, great! I am all up for it. They've shut me up with the RoR/Hishon picks that I doubted.

Quote:
Funny how our CURRENT leader gets a giant pass. This season is NOT on Stastny. It's on Sacco, Anderson, Budaj, Hunwick (Sacco) and Stewart in my opinion.
Indeed. I've said it before, and I'll continually say it again, Foote has been a ****** leader. I know its hard to judge as Creemy said but its not that hard to judge when you hear some of his comments and play of the team so far this season.

Quote:
I like Stastny as a leader but I think this will be EJ's team before it's all said and done. If the Avs can trade Foote for one last 'kick at the can', maybe we can see 'who steps up' the rest of the way.
I think it'll be more than one player's team when its all said and done actually. I don't think this team has a player that you can point out as "his". That title goes to very few players in the league.

Pens: Crosby
Caps: Ovy
TB: Stamkos
Wild: Koivu

Where as other teams have their fair share between players:

Van: Sedin, Sedin, Kesler
Phi: Richards, Pronger
Blues: Backes, Petriangelo
Oilers: Hall, Eberle,
etc.

You could even argue my previous Pens/Caps/Tb etc. examples. Either way this team is now in the hands of Duchene, Stastny, EJ with Duchene probably leading as the "face".

As for trading Foote, I am down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
Honestly... he's a strange player. The fans who love him can't really pinpoint specific reasons why ("you don't really notice him on the ice, but he's doing a good job"), and the fans who have criticized him have a hard time giving specifics, too. I mean, besides the obvious fact that he's a talentless braggart weaseling in the limelight of his father's career.

But, it's kind of hard to prove a negative. You can't really point to a game and say "see, this is where Stastny wasn't a gamebreaker" because it's just not really fair.
The only game that really sticks out when he was a "gamebreaker" was the one last season against the Nucks to clinch the playoffs. Maybe he was having a good day, but that's one example that really sticks out in my mind.

Quote:
However, I can think of a pretty good metaphor with his play. Something that drives me crazy with Stastny is how many times he will opt not to take a wide open shot, and instead tries to pass the puck to someone else. Sure, if the pass were to get through, the shooter would have an even better scoring chance -- but the passes never seem to make it through, or the guy gets tied up and can't do anything with the puck, etc.
Agreed. Stastny was shooting quite high early on however he hasn't scored in a while. Its disappointing and a habit he needs to learn to break.

Quote:
That's a situation where I want to see Stastny play with a bit of swagger for once. Take the team on his shoulders and make the play on his own. I just haven't seen him take that kind of responsibility. That's a little worrisome given this is his fifth season and I kinda expected him to start taking on more responsibility this year. He's always looking to make the perfect pass, and it very rarely works.

Again, I think Stastny will have a successful NHL career. But after this season, I just don't think he's the gamebreaker we were hoping he'd turn out to be. A very good supportive player, good playmaker, solid #2 center. But not someone who is going to carry the team with his play. Who knows, I hope I'm wrong.
Ditto!

Quote:
As for whether he's captain or not, I don't really care. There have been many teams who have had captains that aren't their most clutch players.
Great post! I agree. Stastny is still underrated and I think he's still a no. 1 but thats a different debate.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Blues be **** talking in their thread
It's really kind of sad. Every other post is someone taking shots at Johnson. When he played for them he was one of the best young defensemen in the league. Less than a week later he's overrated and he's the reason the Avs have beaten them six straight times.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It's really kind of sad. Every other post is someone taking shots at Johnson. When he played for them he was one of the best young defensemen in the league. Less than a week later he's overrated and he's the reason the Avs have beaten them six straight times.
Geez guys relax, all of that over there is in jest, if you read our boards more you would get it. I for one will be in the stands tonight giving EJ and JMac an ovation,

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Anyone seen any sign of a stream for tonight? Nothing on myp2p.eu as yet but I know there's still a couple of hours. However, the fact that it's a re-scheduled game doesn't give me the greatest hope for a feed.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote