HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings @ Ducks; New Practice Lines

Old
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Quattro

vCash: 500
LMAO - we swap out 6th defensemen to get Drewiskie a little playing time and people freak out and call for the coach's head...

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
LMAO - we swap out 6th defensemen to get Drewiskie a little playing time and people freak out and call for the coach's head...
That and we've only lost one of our last twelve in regulation. It's always something.

The longest point streak in team history? Off with his head!

Last edited by Josh Deitell: 02-22-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
That and we've only lost one of our last twelve in regulation. It's always something.

The longest point streak in team history? Off with his head!
perhaps it has to do with the offense in the past 15 games:

The Kings have been shutout 3 times.
The Kings have managed only 1 goal 4 times

Thats about half of the 15 game stretch of scoring 0 or 1 goals. Granted the Kings were able to "escape" with some points in a few of these games, but fans have a right to question a coach when he pulls 2 offensive minded players in lokti and now Martinez off the ice.

St. Louis scored 9 on the ducks. I'm willing to bet we score 2 or less against the ducks unless some weird bounces happen. But everyone will be happy cause we'll win the game 1-0 or 2-1 so it will go unoticed yet again.

Winger23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Literally amazed some people still want Parse on the top line. Or on the team at all.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Literally amazed some people still want Parse on the top line. Or on the team at all.
Haha why is that? What possible reason could you give to take a spot away from a player who's worked his way up the ranks, shows some offensive skill and could play on any line?

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
perhaps it has to do with the offense in the past 15 games:

The Kings have been shutout 3 times.
The Kings have managed only 1 goal 4 times

Thats about half of the 15 game stretch of scoring 0 or 1 goals. Granted the Kings were able to "escape" with some points in a few of these games, but fans have a right to question a coach when he pulls 2 offensive minded players in lokti and now Martinez off the ice.

St. Louis scored 9 on the ducks. I'm willing to bet we score 2 or less against the ducks unless some weird bounces happen. But everyone will be happy cause we'll win the game 1-0 or 2-1 so it will go unoticed yet again.
Last I checked, a one goal win counts as much as a six goal win. The Kings are a defense-first hockey team. Expecting anything else is just going to leave you disappointed.

Besides, those Blues who put up nine on the Ducks, they're five points back of us right now. If playing a defensive game gets results, why argue?

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
Haha why is that? What possible reason could you give to take a spot away from a player who's worked his way up the ranks, shows some offensive skill and could play on any line?
Bzzt.

Parse not do defense. Parse not check. Parse offense or Parse on bench.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Bzzt.

Parse know Kung Fu?

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Parse know Kung Fu?
insert picture of neo from the matrix with parse's face photoshopped on him

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Bzzt.

Doesn't mean TM hasn't used him on every line.

I recall him looking pretty good on the 3rd line with Zeus and Simmonds last year. just because he doesn't check doesn't mean he's not capable of braking up plays or getting in passing lanes.

i see him as a good 3rd liner boarderline 2nd when injuries hit. nothing more. i dont agree with two out of three that he doesnt have a place on this team.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Bzzt.

... Yeah, I dunno where this line of thinking got started. Parse was +16 last season in just 59 games, and his supporting stats (blocked shots, takeaways, etc.) were all pretty good. At worst, he was average defensively, which is pretty damned good for a rookie forward if you ask me. Parse didn't get any time on the PK, but then again neither did Simmonds, who was good defensively as well; so it's another indication that Murray is prone to leaning on veterans in those situations as opposed to trying out young and unproven players.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Yeah, I dunno where this line of thinking got started. Parse was +16 last season in just 59 games, and his supporting stats (blocked shots, takeaways, etc.) were all pretty good. At worst, he was average defensively, which is pretty damned good for a rookie forward if you ask me. Parse didn't get any time on the PK, but then again neither did Simmonds, who was good defensively as well; so it's another indication that Murray is prone to leaning on veterans in those situations as opposed to trying out young and unproven players.
I base it off A) Watching him and noticing that he is not a very good backchecker or great at digging out pucks in the corners (he is best when stickhandling in open ice), B) That every criticism of his by coaching and management has been that his defense needs work and C) that he was given the roster spot not because he really improved at anything but that the team needed a scoring winger, which is what he is supposed to be.

I don't think Parse works well on the bottom lines. I'd rather have Poni and Clifford as the bottom 6 wingers.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
johnjm22

Parse has shown more with the Kings than Moulson and Purcell did.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 152
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Drewiske in place of Martinez does hurt us. Behind Doughty and Johnson, who are often paired together to try and entice offense, there is nobody that can playmake or put the puck in the net. Martinez is the primary offensive force on the back end behind Doughty and Johnson. This team needs to score goals, not prevent them, Martinez should be in the game, just my 2 cents...

On Parse, he is a good player. People wanted to bury Parse or throw him off the team need to take a long look at Moulson... These kids need a chance, and Parse earned his. Last season was terrific for him on both offensive and defensive sides of the game. Moller deserves a shot too. These are two kids that have been producing in the minors and have offensively produced in the NHL when they are given the chance, yet they get overlooked or buried (Moller moreso than anyone, and now Loktionov is starting to join the party). Murray needs to ease off the defense only mentality. We are one of the best in goals against, I understand not wanting to sacrifice defense for offense, but this is overdoing it. If the kid produces, talk to him, but keep him out there, we need the offense.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I base it off A) Watching him and noticing that he is not a very good backchecker or great at digging out pucks in the corners (he is best when stickhandling in open ice), B) That every criticism of his by coaching and management has been that his defense needs work and C) that he was given the roster spot not because he really improved at anything but that the team needed a scoring winger, which is what he is supposed to be.
... Well, for your points - A) agree to disagree, I thought Parse was certainly putting in the work to get back defensively and get into position, even though he had some things to learn about NHL defense and his size limited him along the wall, B) I've only heard Murray criticize his defense, and all I can attribute that to is that Murray favors the veterans (e.g., Sturm playing over Loktionov) - it would be one thing if the facts supported this notion that Parse is a defensive liability, but they don't, and C) I actually thought that last season Parse had the most meteoric and unexpected rise of a young Kings' forward in years.

Quote:
I don't think Parse works well on the bottom lines. I'd rather have Poni and Clifford as the bottom 6 wingers.
... I would agree there. If I had a choice, I would have Parse as a 1 or 2 LW and Ponikarovsky and Clifford as the 3 and 4 (or have both of them on the 4th line, for that matter) but I don't think for a second that Parse would embarrass himself out there on the lower lines if he was bumped out of the top 6 at some point. Parse and Simmonds were the two most efficient forwards on the team last season in terms of the results they were able top produce given their limited ice time, and it's a shame that all of that was thrown into the dumpster with Parse's injury and with the way Simmonds has been jerked around. Murray really had a golden opportunity to facilitate the rise of two solid young players, and in my view he's utterly failed to do that. I can't help but think that with a different head coach, at least Simmonds would have progressed.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Hasn't Moulson, Boyle and Purcell taught us anything about moving prospects before they have had a chance to prove themselves? Parse was a key component with getting the top line scoring and the Kings were 4-1 with him.

He has mad scoring ability. Something the Kings lack, don't let Murray **** up another skilled prospect. I think Dean will hang on to all of his prospects unless someone blows him away with an offer. He has learned his lesson.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Hasn't Moulson, Boyle and Purcell taught us anything about moving prospects before they have had a chance to prove themselves? Parse was a key component with getting the top line scoring and the Kings were 4-1 with him.

He has mad scoring ability. Something the Kings lack, don't let Murray **** up another skilled prospect. I think Dean will hang on to all of his prospects unless someone blows him away with an offer. He has learned his lesson.
The kids you mention could not shine in the defense first system Murray and Lombardi want. They've done well on the looser system teams they are now. Everything the Isles did the other night was throwing the puck up ice to a forward or two that was floating the blue line. Not something that succeeds over a season or in the playoffs. The Kings were too tired to defeat that scheme that night.

Besides, they never would have proven themselves in the current Kings. They would have fit the 91-94 team. Let them be happy.

Parse is a crap shoot for me. I like his aggressiveness and hands but I'm not too sure he'll become an NHL sniper. I hope he does because he showed some flash.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:11 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Holy Hell. I can't wait for Parse to get back from injury.. Watch him do nothing, but maybe a goal goes in off his skate and read posts like the ones I see now: "YEAH! See!? Parse has SICK SKILL!"

He doesn't. Where that idea came from I have NO clue.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:00 PM
johnjm22

Hiller wasn't on the ice for practice today. I assume he's doubtful for tomorrow.

McElhinney last two games:
0-2-0 / 6.80 GAA / .757 SV%

Pielmeier career:
1GP / 7.50 GAA / .583 SV%

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
The only thing that boggles my mind is, wouldn't you rather have the speed of Martinez, seeing as Anaheim does have some speedy forwards.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Hiller wasn't on the ice for practice today. I assume he's doubtful for tomorrow.

Pielmeier career:
So what you're saying is expect the Kings to make one of them look like world beaters.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Pielmeier career:
Which one will shutout the Kings tomorrow?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote