HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
hctopcheds11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
And I don't want you to think that. It's just, it makes so much sense to let Staal play 2C, that I just can't understand why someone wouldn't want to support it, even for a little. Just the tip. Just to see how it feels.
No I agree with you. I DO think Staal should be tried there.

I'm just suggesting that Neal could be tried with Crosby and its likely if Crosby comes back this Spring.

Alls I even suggested is that it should be based on fit. If Crosby comes back and him and Neal light it up this year, DB is going with that combination. And even still, its not so crazy to suggest that the coaching staff will do what it did the last 5 times a winger has came in (outside of Poni) and give him to Sid.

What I'm saying, is that I think it should be based on fit.

Hell, what if Neal and Crosby light it up this spring and Kunitz moves over to the right side and they find success. There's no reason that Shero can't go out in FA and get Malkin a pure sniper to go along with him and Staal.

The best part of this trade is options. Thats all I'm trying to suggest. I'm not trying to "screw" Geno here.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

If we're already talking in February about where Malkin is going to play next year, this is going to be a looooong summer.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:58 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
Well, personally, if Sid comes back I think he and Kunitz should play together again, it took awhile but the finally seemed to develop good chemistry, so unless Neal-Staal falls completely flat, I don't know that I want to see Neal play with Sid. And if we want Staal to play the part of second line center, I think he needs more help than Sid so if Sid comes back this year:

Kunitz - Crosby- Sterling/Jeffrey/Dupuis*
Neal-Staal-Kennedy
Cooke-Letestu-Connor/Dupuis/Asham
Rupp- Talbot -Adams

*I would like to see Sterling and/or Jeffrey given a shot with Crosby, as both have move of a scoring touch. But if it doesn't work we could fall back on having Dupuis there again, provided we don't acquire another winger of course.

Next year I think the logical first try would be to have Kunitz stay with Crosby and Neal play with Malkin, regardless of whether or not Malkin is centering the line, or playing RW on the line with Staal centering it.
My only question to you would be, who had Staal showed the most chemisty with outside of Kennedy and Cooke? The answer is Kunitz.

If Crosby comes back, I want this tried:

Neal-Crosby-Deadline Pickup/Dupuis
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy

As the top 6.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
My only question to you would be, who had Staal showed the most chemisty with outside of Kennedy and Cooke? The answer is Kunitz.

If Crosby comes back, I want this tried:

Neal-Crosby-Deadline Pickup/Dupuis
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy

As the top 6.
Well, since Kunitz isn't ready to come back yet, we'll get a chance to see if Staal and Neal work well together. I did say "if Neal and Staal doesn't fall flat"

One thing is for sure, if Neal does play with Crosby, he's probably pissed that every time he gets a new toy, Staal gets to play with it first.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Great post, JTG. I want to see Malkin at center, but Staalkin is going to happen due to the emergence of Letestu and our ability to fill a gaping hole (RW) with a dynamic player for free, basically.

I'm pretty excited that we could throw out a Neal-Crosby-Malkin line down a goal with a minute left.
Wow....That's refreshing, isn't it?

We finally have arrived.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
Well, since Kunitz isn't ready to come back yet, we'll get a chance to see if Staal and Neal work well together. I did say "if Neal and Staal doesn't fall flat"

One thing is for sure, if Neal does play with Crosby, he's probably pissed that every time he gets a new toy, Staal gets to play with it first.
Hahah. I'm sure he doesn't care. That is true though (both Neal and Kunitz).

Yup and good point. If Neal and Staal works, thats fine too. Neal, not unlike Kunitz, could work with any combo of players IMO. His game is very north and south but with an added element of skill.

I just get the sense that if he ever gets to play with Crosby, that those two won't look back. Both Canadian, same age, styles that would mesh, Neals excited to play with Sid etc.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:06 PM
JTG

Neal being a Penguin still hasn't sunk in. Talk about the mother of all pipedreams come true.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:07 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Neal being a Penguin still hasn't sunk in. Talk about the mother of all pipedreams come true.
Absolutely JTG.

Us arguing about Neal is a beautiful thing. Hell, line combos are the least of the problem right now. Anyway you slice it, Neal is going to be playing with one of the two freaks in Crosby or Malkin and Kunitz is going to be playing with the other. Beautiful thing.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
66-29-33

ANyone gonna be watching the Stars tonight? 20 minutes, Gogo's Stars debut.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The addition of Neal just gives the lineup a lot more flexibility. We now have a winger for both Sid and Geno. We don't have to force one of our centers to play wing anymore if we don't want to. That doesn't mean we can't try some different combination's. Malkin always gets some shifts at wing anyway.

I do think our lineup is better with Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle. It's just extremely hard to match-up with that.

Kunitz Crosby UFA
Neal Malkin UFA
Cooke Staal Kennedy

If we do go with Staalkin I think I'd prefer

Neal Crosby UFA
Kunitz Staal Malkin

But there's a lot of different combination's we can use now and that's the best part of the deal.

Old
02-22-2011, 07:11 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The addition of Neal just gives the lineup a lot more flexibility. We now have a winger for both Sid and Geno. We don't have to force one of our centers to play wing anymore if we don't want to. That doesn't mean we can't try some different combination's. Malkin always gets some shifts at wing anyway.

I do think our lineup is better with Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle. It's just extremely hard to match-up with that.

Kunitz Crosby UFA
Neal Malkin UFA
Cooke Staal Kennedy

If we do go with Staalkin I think I'd prefer

Neal Crosby UFA
Kunitz Staal Malkin

But there's a lot of different combination's we can use now and that's the best part of the deal.
Yup, it seems like you and I have been preaching this a lot throughout the last day. And I agree with your line combos but I also don't have a problem with the ones that JTG suggest. We will have plenty of time to see what actually works.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
ANyone gonna be watching the Stars tonight? 20 minutes, Gogo's Stars debut.
Yes, and he's had a good game so far.

Had two chances to pick up assist with nice breakout passes and one wicked shot, that I thought for sure was gonna go in.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:28 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Watching Neal's goals this season... he might of been exactly what the team needed. What a snap shot this guy has.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Watching Neal's goals this season... he might of been exactly what the team needed. What a snap shot this guy has.
Lethal doesn't full describe it. And he can place it too.

Old
02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Lethal doesn't full describe it. And he can place it too.
He has the best shot on the team now AINEC. Sometimes I would forget wingers could create offence too; no longer. This team will be soooooooo bad ass with a healthy Sid and Geno.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I think Gogo looks better in a Stars jersey than a Pens jersey.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
He's a sniper we have been longing for for years. Let's hope he assimilates quickly and can help keep us above water until we can get more players back.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
I was beaming all day.

It's been a rough season for Pens fans, but this was such a perfect move that you've just got to be in a fantastic mood.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:17 PM
JTG

It's weird because I tend to be kind of conservative with the moves I want Shero to make. Usually don't want anything long term where it's a high commitment, but I'm really longing for him to make another move that sets us up with another long term winger solution so we can end this winger madness once and for all. Go into free agency needing a depth 6th defenseman, and whatever cap we have, fill out the bottom 6 to the best of his financial ability. Coast into the season with a young, healthy, excited roster of players.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I was beaming all day.

It's been a rough season for Pens fans, but this was such a perfect move that you've just got to be in a fantastic mood.
I am thrilled we got him but it's hard to be beaming with everything else going wrong. Long term this is a great move. As of now and with all these injuries it's still a frustrating predicament to be in.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Aud Won*

Looks like Gogo took two penalties and the second one costed Dallas as the Devils converted..

Old
02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
vecens24

Gogo played pretty well actually I thought. He took the penalty at the end and the Devils converted but still I didn't think it was that bad for him tonight. Especially considering he hadn't even skated with the team yet and they threw him on the first pairing with Robidas.

As someone else said, first penalty was mainly just Kovalchuk making the smart play and falling to the ice when he felt a stick.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
JTG

So James Neal tomorrow, eh boys?

Old
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Quote:
So James Neal tomorrow, eh boys?
I'm wearing 2 pairs of underwear tomorrow I'm so excited.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Genetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I'm wearing 2 pairs of underwear tomorrow I'm so excited.
. jeans over sweat pants over basketball shorts over boxers. no one will see a damn thing

Closed Thread