HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline

Old
02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Per the trade board, Smid and his agent himself have heard that Nashville has serious interest, according to Edmonton papers.
Smid does not make us a better team now or long-term.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

If a Blum Smid trade happenes MPS better be involved

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Milly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
If a Blum Smid trade happenes MPS better be involved

Oh HF, how lovely.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to ask for MPS in a deal involving Blum/Smid. I'm assuming you mean not straight up those two for Blum, but still. I doubt the Oilers would give up on him after 60 games.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Smid does not make us a better team now or long-term.
He's a better option than Sulzer, Bouillon or SOB. Maybe even Klein. Placed into a better defensive system, I think he could shine.

According to Dan Tencer, the deal he's hearing focuses around Blum and Smid, with possible additional pieces being involved. For the delusional ones...that won't be MPS.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
He's a better option than Sulzer, Bouillon or SOB. Maybe even Klein. Placed into a better defensive system, I think he could shine.

According to Dan Tencer, the deal he's hearing focuses around Blum and Smid, with possible additional pieces being involved. For the delusional ones...that won't be MPS.
Agreed. I think that Smid would be on par with Klein as a No. 3/4 tweener which would reduce the gap between Suter/Weber and everyone else and could really solidify our second pairing. I also believe that Smid still has untapped potential and was really pretty dominant last season before getting injured. With another offseason to heal, I believe he could return to that form...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Blum for Smid?

From Cloutier's blog

From Dan Tencer - The Oilers have a deal in place to send Ladislav Smid to the Nashville Predators for John Blum. Blum, age 22, has about 37 seconds of NHL experience (played his first game tonight against the Columbus Blue Jackets; was on the ice for 16 minutes and was a -1 for the night).

In Blum, the Oilers will receive a defenseman who is known for two-way play. At 6' 1", 178lbs, he's not a big defenseman, but he has decent vision and can move the puck effectively. He was drafted by Nashville in the 1st round (23rd overall) in 2007.

In Smid, the Preds would be receiving a young veteran who is bigger and a more physical defenseman than Blum. The knock on Smid is that he's always seemed to struggle to find his full potential.

Apparently the deal is on the table, waiting for Nashville GM David Poile to pull the trigger. Oilers scouts were on hand in Columbus to see Blum play tonight.

I am going to be PISSED if this deal goes down. Blum was NHL ready last night and looked really freaking good. We don't need a bandaid on the blue line. We need a forward who can put the team on his ****ing back greg jennings style. Yes we have too many forwards, but no one is stepping up and putting the puck in the net.

Please please please, do not trade Blum for Smid.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think the price for Smid is high when the biggest problem for the Preds is scoring.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I think the price for Smid is high when the biggest problem for the Preds is scoring.
Blum is our biggest bargaining chip... for the love of god do not trade him for another defenseman...

Old
02-23-2011, 09:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The question becomes who are the most expendable players on the team? Believe it or not Sully and Dumont. They won't get much in trade and you cut the veteran presence on the team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i'm fine with using him to upgrade the defense, but i hope to god that trade isn't one for one...

Old
02-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
i'm fine with using him to upgrade the defense, but i hope to god that trade isn't one for one...
I honestly don't think it is that big of an upgrade...Smid has no interest in Nashville. The defense isn't as broken as the offense is.

I wish we could trade sullivan to pitts and dumont to montreal and have them have a good cup run with another team. They are absolutely worthless to us right now. Bring them back when they retire.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I honestly don't think it is that big of an upgrade...Smid has no interest in Nashville. The defense isn't as broken as the offense is.

I wish we could trade sullivan to pitts and dumont to montreal and have them have a good cup run with another team. They are absolutely worthless to us right now. Bring them back when they retire.
I think Smid is a sizable upgrade over Sulzer, SOB and Bouillon, and agree with SLake that he's at least as good as Klein, if not a little better. He's a true second pairing defenseman, instead of the 4 third pairing guys we have now. I'd be happy to get him, but again, if we're giving up Blum, I'd like to see the deal tweaked to include one of Edmonton's young second tier wingers...Cogliano or Brule, for example.

Definitely agree with you on both Dumont and Sullivan. They're doing more harm than good, at this point.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think Smid is a sizable upgrade over Sulzer, SOB and Bouillon, and agree with SLake that he's at least as good as Klein, if not a little better. He's a true second pairing defenseman, instead of the 4 third pairing guys we have now. I'd be happy to get him, but again, if we're giving up Blum, I'd like to see the deal tweaked to include one of Edmonton's young second tier wingers...Cogliano or Brule, for example.

Definitely agree with you on both Dumont and Sullivan. They're doing more harm than good, at this point.
I think I agree.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think I agree.
That's fine guys but to give up Blum for ANOTHER defenseman? No. I am sorry just no. Blum is NHL ready. Trade Ryan Ellis. I would rather part with Ellis than Blum at this point. I think the return would be greater and I feel like Ellis has better potential of being a bust than Blum does.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
He's a better option than Sulzer, Bouillon or SOB. Maybe even Klein.
He also couldn't tell a hockey puck from a dead cockroach.

We need a guy with a skill set that complements Klein. Smid has a very similar skill set to the players we already have. O'Brien and Bouillon are both serviceable in limited minutes, but we've played both of them with Klein at even strength this year and it hasn't worked for any of the players involved. Trying to force a near-identical peg into a similar hole will not fix the issue. Someone has to be able to start the rush on that second pairing, and Smid is not that guy.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 02-23-2011 at 10:36 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Blum is our biggest bargaining chip... for the love of god do not trade him for another defenseman...
I think I'd argue Franson is our biggest bargaining chip - we could plug Blum in now for Franson and not lose anything on D for sure; probably be a decline in O, but more than made up for in the wing we could get for Franson.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's fine guys but to give up Blum for ANOTHER defenseman? No. I am sorry just no. Blum is NHL ready. Trade Ryan Ellis. I would rather part with Ellis than Blum at this point. I think the return would be greater and I feel like Ellis has better potential of being a bust than Blum does.
I'd be fine with that too. I'm not a big Ellis guy. We're at the point where we need to do something to stablize this team.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I wonder how well Radulov would realistically fill that spot.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
hoosierpred

"Blum is NHL ready. Trade Ryan Ellis. I would rather part with Ellis than Blum at this point."

I generally agree with this. Blum is great with regard to defensive positioning. The think that happened with Nash and Klein last night doesn't happen if Blum is the defender. Ellis would get more return and may have size issues at the highest lever.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I think I'd argue Franson is our biggest bargaining chip - we could plug Blum in now for Franson and not lose anything on D for sure; probably be a decline in O, but more than made up for in the wing we could get for Franson.
I'd agree with that. He's a depth two way defenseman with decent hands. These are the type of players that are going for a premium right now. Considering his lack of mobility and speed, I think we can replace him without losing too much offense. He could get us a solid 2nd round pick or prospect.

Ellis aswell, but I'm hoping they hold on to him.

Last edited by Everlong: 02-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I'd agree with that. He's a depth two way defenseman with decent hands. These are the type of players that are going for a premium right now. Considering his lack of mobility and speed, I think we can replace him without losing too much offense. He could get us a solid 2nd round pick or prospect.

Ellis aswell, but I'm hoping they hold on to him.
you realize that means defensively responsible, right?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
dulzhok

Shero continues to impress me. Kovalev for a whopping 7th rd pick. And he's contract is up at the end of the year, so there's little financial risk involved.

He's getting up there in age, but has a history of playing great hockey come playoff time.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you realize that means defensively responsible, right?
Hah, it's a stretch I know. But I think he could thrive on a more offensive style of team.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Shero continues to impress me. Kovalev for a whopping 7th rd pick. And he's contract is up at the end of the year, so there's little financial risk involved.

He's getting up there in age, but has a history of playing great hockey come playoff time.
Looking at Ottawa reaction, most seem pleased that they even got that. The fact that a seventh round pick is the most anyone would pay says what other clubs think of his motivation and work ethic. He did also have a NTC to waive.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Kovalev is brutal. Ottawa should have had to include a pick just to take him. So glad we didn't get him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote