HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #62 @ Carolina Hurricanes

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #62 @ Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Callahan 5 3.21%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 16 10.26%
Ryan McDonagh 2 1.28%
Vaclav Prospal 1 0.64%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Michael Sauer 1 0.64%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Wojtek Wolski 124 79.49%
Mats Zuccarello 7 4.49%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
good thing they just announced that all playoff games will be decided by shootout
I missed you man, stop disappearing!

POTG: Easily Wolski. I'll say this again, I cannot believe people here already saying he should be moved if the Rangers are selling. This trade is shaping up to be a steal. There are times where Rozsival is missed, but tonight they do not win this game without Wolski. He is talented, and more importantly creative. He doesn't always make something of his dangles and offensive zone circles, but he at least TRIES and rarely does he end up giving up a bad turnover because of his efforts. More of the skill players on the team need to take the initiative he does and try to make things happen, and not just dish the puck off as soon as a little pressure is felt. Also, he shoots the puck if he can't find a seam, rather than waiting too long and losing the puck to a poke check or hit on the boards.

The good: The Stepan, Zucc, Wolski line is without a doubt the most talented and creative line. I would like to see Zucc and Stepan play with a little more confidence when the puck is on their stick. The downside to this line is the fact that it is usually defensively inept. Especially with the DZ/Gilroy pairing out there with them. However those 5 probably have the highest potential for making total offensive breakouts, and catching the other team sleeping. It's a steep price to pay as you could see tonight as Gilroy got stripped and paid for it.

Henrik was solid, as usual. He's just had some bad bounces and poor defensive play in front of him.

McD and Sauer had some bad plays tonight, but this pairing will be an amazing second total shutdown tandem in a year or two.

Callahan continues to roll and be a master deflector, He may be the most valuable player this team has in the forward core.

The Shootout squad, if not the best in the league, top5. Too bad I agree with Foxhound, it's not helpful beyond the first 82 games.

The Bad: Staal potentially being injured. Brian Boyle needs to show up again, he's giving effort, but he's not getting any help like he was in the first half.

The Redden: The Powerplay continues to suck. This has probably been the single-handed biggest reason this month has been so terrible. With not finding the net as much at even strength, the PP needs to score as much as possible. If this does not get fixed, this team is done, playoffs or not.

DelZotto and Gilroy. Even if they play okay defense, they are offensive blackholes who cannot hit the net. They are supposed to be the future of the offensive D core, they need to play like it. Gilroy is playing his way out of NY, I like him, but he's not going to be a Ranger much longer, imo. DZ should be in Hartford.

02-22-2011, 09:29 PM
OverTheCap

Del Zotto looked better defensively, but he still has a problem with wingers blowing by him, and, of course, hitting the net remains an issue. It's encouraging that he is starting to show some signs of improvement, but there's still a ways to go.

DZ looked better than Gilroy, but that's not saying much because he was a mess out there tonight. Once again, his lack of physicality cost us on the second goal, and it seems like he resorted back to the soft play that got him benched earlier this season.

Sauer and McD have had a rough go of it the past few games. This team needs a veteran defenseman in the worst way. I'm surprised that they've gone without one for so long since Rozy has been traded.

The offense continues to generate scoring chances, but their shots are either wide, blocked, or directed towards the goalie's chest. They broke the 2-goal barrier tonight which is a move in the right direction, but obviously it's going to be a struggle each game.

And, it shouldn't even have to be said, but Hank was an absolute monster tonight. There's no way we come close to winning this game without him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:30 PM
the zamboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Media Savvy Lee, please explain to me what makes Luongo elite but not Lundqvist.

I'd also like to know why Fleury is elite, but not Lundqvist. His career numbers don't even begin to approach Lundqvist's, while he has played for a vastly superior franchise. He has a Cup but no Vezina. From this I can also conclude that JS Giguere and Nikolai Khabibulin are elite, correct?
Don't even bother. He never posts after a win or when the team is doing well. He only comes out to pour some salt in the wound and troll when things are bad.

the zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
beastly115

So I was curious about Wolski and looked him up on Wiki.

That mother ****er has the exact same birthday as I do. Same day and year. Son of a *****

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
The Good;

Wolski, obviously. I though he had a good game well before the goal.
Lundqvist, was left out to dry all night, and made some huge saves to keep us in it. Stellar in the shootout as well.
Duci-AA-Cally line- Despite AA's unclutch play with a few to go, they showed the puck possesion that single handedly won us a pack of games early in the season. The default #1 line without Gaborik.

The Bad;

Would like to have seen more ice time for Avery, believe it or not. Move him to Christensen's spot, see if the move to RW gets him going.

Del Zotto in the offensive zone- 2 huge missed nets in a great spot. its like a disease with this kid.

The Redden;

Gilroy
Our defense vs Eric Cole all night.

02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by the zamboni View Post
Don't even bother. He never posts after a win or when the team is doing well. He only comes out to pour some salt in the wound and troll when things are bad.
There are guys who do that, but not MSL.

I'm interested to see why you hated Hank so much tonight though brotha.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
That was awesome. I know I said I was done, but I still watching. I just needed to be alone, I was in that mood again.

POTG: I know I hate ties, but I gotta do it; Lundqvist and Wolski split one. No shootout for them either.

The Good: We won

The Bad: **** it, we won.

The Gilroy: Matt Gilroy
Lol..I actually turned it off at 9 pm..put V on, flipped back and forth..Canes tied, I texted my buddy a bunch of unprintable words, said I was done, and would not turn it on..my wife (watching the Devil game, and flipping back and forth) kept me up to date from the living room.

Not ashamed to admit this..something had to be done..and I feel by me turning my back on them, they won because of that!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The Good;

Wolski, obviously. I though he had a good game well before the goal.
Lundqvist, was left out to dry all night, and made some huge saves to keep us in it. Stellar in the shootout as well.
Duci-AA-Cally line- Despite AA's unclutch play with a few to go, they showed the puck possesion that single handedly won us a pack of games early in the season. The default #1 line without Gaborik.

The Bad;

Would like to have seen more ice time for Avery, believe it or not. Move him to Christensen's spot, see if the move to RW gets him going.

Del Zotto in the offensive zone- 2 huge missed nets in a great spot. its like a disease with this kid.

The Redden;

Gilroy
Our defense vs Eric Cole all night.
Man Arty's move there killed me. He was ****ing MAJESTIC getting to the net, and then slams it...right into Ward's glove. Ugh.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Man Arty's move there killed me. He was ****ing MAJESTIC getting to the net, and then slams it...right into Ward's glove. Ugh.
He does this EVERY time he uses his body to get to the net. He also only does it once a month, tops. It's frustrating. You know he has potential to be a game breaker, but shows up so little.

I was just telling my dad, and I know this isn't a popular opinion, but if I had to pick a core piece to trade, or bait, it would be Arty. I like him, but he's not going to thrive in NY, imo.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
There are guys who do that, but not MSL.

I'm interested to see why you hated Hank so much tonight though brotha.

He hates on Hank after every game.
---

Oh yeah, forgot to add Anisimov's semi-breakaway strong power move to the goal to the "Bad" section. How in the world do you beat the goaltender after he makes a bad pokecheck and have him out of the play all the way against the post, and miss the WIDE open net and shoot it at the post Ward is on.

Guess it doesn't matter much since they won, but these are the reasons we lose so many 1 goal games. Nobody can finish.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Erik Cole looked like a combination of MSL and Bure tonight...like every game he plays against us.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Media Savvy Lee, please explain to me what makes Luongo elite but not Lundqvist.

I'd also like to know why Fleury is elite, but not Lundqvist. His career numbers don't even begin to approach Lundqvist's, while he has played for a vastly superior franchise. He has a Cup but no Vezina. From this I can also conclude that JS Giguere and Nikolai Khabibulin are elite, correct?

Giggy was most certainly elite. No longer, obviously. He's much older than Henrik. Same with Khabibulin. He had the misfortune of playing for terrible teams. Kinda like Richter. I have no idea what they have to do with the conversation. Luongo and Fluery are currently elite because they are having phenomnal seasons and a prior history as well. Lundqvist has neither

Luongo was a Pearson finalist in 2004 while playing for Florida. He was also the Vezina runner-up that year. The 2004 Panthers were as good as the 1991 Nordiques. The 1991 Nordiques, however, didnt have Luongo. That's why he was a Pearson finalist

He was a Hart Finalist -- Runner up actually. He's got four top-5 SVPCT seasons. Lundqvist only has one. Luongo made 2nd all-NHL twice. Henrik none.

Fluery is having an outstanding season this year. He's doing it without Crosby and Malkin. He's 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA and 7th in SVPCT. When you go to back-to-back SCF and win a Cup, you dont need to validate yourself, but Fluery's play this year has done so.

Lundqvist has nothing on his resume besides a Gold medal and two 1st round wins.

The Rangers are a playoff team right now with Lundqvist on pace for his worst statistical season of his career. His backup has a better GAA and SVPCT in 17 games. He;s actaully deserving of more starts.

I know it's blasphemy to the under-21 crowd that Henrik's shortcomings are pointed out. Too bad. The guy is a very good goalie but somewhat overrated. This will be his third straight year where he won't be a Vezina finalist.

Until I see Lundqvist, or any goalie for that matter, win a Cup, win a Hart, win a Vezina or carry a team from wire to wire and get acknowldged globally for it, then they cant be considered elite, even for a short period

This is a weak era for goaltending. i dont know why. It is what it is.

I will acknowledge that he is a franchise goalie, and I certainly think he is the biggest reason why the organization in no longer an eight-year laughing stock. But until he takes it to the next level, at the very least getting to the CF, he can't be considered elite.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
He does this EVERY time he uses his body to get to the net. He also only does it once a month, tops. It's frustrating. You know he has potential to be a game breaker, but shows up so little.

I was just telling my dad, and I know this isn't a popular opinion, but if I had to pick a core piece to trade, or bait, it would be Arty. I like him, but he's not going to thrive in NY, imo.
I'd agree if I had to trade someone, but Arty is still younger than most of the younger guys he has chemistry with, and he's always really 1 step behind from looking like Datsyuk out there at times. If he scored tonight on that move it would've been highlight reel.

The kid has sooooo much potential it makes me drool...i'd love to see him work on his finish.

Old
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
You know who else had defensive lapses from time to time? and would sometimes let the puck skip over his stick blade at the point on the power play? and the New York fans and Rangers Management got impatient with? and ultimately he ot traded?

Zubov

and we regretted it for years
Theirs a difference between the puck hopping over your stick, or turning the puck over to the opponent and having the opponents offense completely skate around you and get a break away on goal..

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 09:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also I think in celebrating how good W2 was, we're ignoring the line as a whole. I'm ****ing LOVING that W2-Step-MZA line. They just work together so well and IMO it's been even better than the pack line.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Also I think in celebrating how good W2 was, we're ignoring the line as a whole. I'm ****ing LOVING that W2-Step-MZA line. They just work together so well and IMO it's been even better than the pack line.
No surprise there, 3 players with some creativity that aren't afraid to try and use it.

As much as I love the line too, sometimes I think every line we have could use one of them

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:09 PM
RangerBlues

POTG:Wolski! WOW.

Good: Lundqvist, Stepan-Zucc-Wolski line.

Bad: MDZ does a lot of dumb things. EC is incapable of getting open.

Redden: MORE INJURIES

RangerBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post

Until I see Lundqvist, or any goalie for that matter, win a Cup, win a Hart, win a Vezina or carry a team from wire to wire and get acknowldged globally for it, then they cant be considered elite, even for a short period

I will acknowledge that he is a franchise goalie, and I certainly think he is the biggest reason why the organization in no longer an eight-year laughing stock. But until he takes it to the next level, at the very least getting to the CF, he can't be considered elite.

So basically, unless a goalie plays for great teams they can't be elite. Doesn't really make any sense. The people that rate by actual play, which is to say, the whole rest of the hockey community have him as one of the best goaltenders in the league every single year.

Of course Luongo and Fleury are having good statistical years, they are good goalies that have a couple of the better defenses in the league in front of them(and in Luongo's case one of the best all-around teams, though their defense has a ton of injuries right now)

Fleury isn't elite, that's for sure. Crosby and Malkin were incredible in those years and got him a cup, much like Antii Niemi winning the cup because of a DEEP deep Hawk's team.

I don't know what things that happened as far back as 2004 have to do with who's elite now. Last year Luongo CHOKED in the playoffs with one of the best teams in the NHL. Enough said.

It just shows how great Hank really is that pretty much only you, Dagoon and the guy that said " Hank is the only goalie that doesn't stop deflection goals" think he isn't elite. From reading the polls section all the other fans of the NHL have him as elite, and analysts always call him one of the best.

I guess either everyone else is wrong or you are.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Blue Line Monster

Also, was really impressed with D-Step making things happen out there. Sometimes I cringe when he does things like skates in and takes a weak shot from near the blue line, and I think to myself he's learning some bad habits.

But then I see some of these great plays he makes, like his Datsyuk-like play of lifting the guys stick in the slot he made that was almost a good chance, or the great pass to MZA from the corner that led to the PP. Kid's gonna be good.

Hopefully he goes to see Barb Underhill though. He could really work on his skating.

Old
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
JimmyStart*

sry double post

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 02-23-2011 at 12:26 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Wolski
Staal hurt
My god we some god awful "fans"

Also this = fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy 27 View Post

If you hate this team, you are the exact kind of fan that is referenced every time someone makes the statement "you can't do a true rebuild in NYC". You are watching a young, inexperienced and inconsistent team make mistakes that they should be expected to make.

All I know is that these guys compete hard every game, are IN every single game (they very rarely get blown away or look overmatched), and they play the game the right way. I'll repeat that they play the game the right way. They just need to add a little more skill, be it through the draft, free agency, or the improvement of players already on the roster or in the system. Unfortunately, that may be easier said than done.
Some suppossedly older "wiser" and "intelligent" fans seem to feel this team is a dissappointment b/c they might not be a PO lock meanwhile looking at the team they shouldn';t make the PO's anyway. So by performing slightly above their heads in general all season they are a dissappointment.

LOVED how so many fools got put in their place especially the trolls by this whole season PO or not.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:44 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

E.C. does nothing for me. Most useless player on the team. Shame too because he does have skill but he just doesn't seem to use it or put it together. He does absolutely nothing but be completely invisible for all 60 or 65 minutes. Once everyones healthy, he should definitely be riding the pine.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Wolski
Staal hurt
My god we some god awful "fans"

Also this = fantastic

Some suppossedly older "wiser" and "intelligent" fans seem to feel this team is a dissappointment b/c they might not be a PO lock meanwhile looking at what the team doing they shouldn';t make the PO's anyway. So by performing slightly above their heads in general all season they are a dissappointment.

LOVED how so many fools got put in their place especially the trolls by this whole season PO or not.
so fans = never allowed to criticize the team amirite?!?!?!?
you must be easily impressed - look a shiny object

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Giggy was most certainly elite. No longer, obviously. He's much older than Henrik. Same with Khabibulin. He had the misfortune of playing for terrible teams. Kinda like Richter. I have no idea what they have to do with the conversation. Luongo and Fluery are currently elite because they are having phenomnal seasons and a prior history as well. Lundqvist has neither

Luongo was a Pearson finalist in 2004 while playing for Florida. He was also the Vezina runner-up that year. The 2004 Panthers were as good as the 1991 Nordiques. The 1991 Nordiques, however, didnt have Luongo. That's why he was a Pearson finalist

He was a Hart Finalist -- Runner up actually. He's got four top-5 SVPCT seasons. Lundqvist only has one. Luongo made 2nd all-NHL twice. Henrik none.

Fluery is having an outstanding season this year. He's doing it without Crosby and Malkin. He's 3rd in wins, 5th in GAA and 7th in SVPCT. When you go to back-to-back SCF and win a Cup, you dont need to validate yourself, but Fluery's play this year has done so.

Lundqvist has nothing on his resume besides a Gold medal and two 1st round wins.

The Rangers are a playoff team right now with Lundqvist on pace for his worst statistical season of his career. His backup has a better GAA and SVPCT in 17 games. He;s actaully deserving of more starts.

I know it's blasphemy to the under-21 crowd that Henrik's shortcomings are pointed out. Too bad. The guy is a very good goalie but somewhat overrated. This will be his third straight year where he won't be a Vezina finalist.

All right, different strokes for different folks. But don't patronize me and others with some asinine "under 21" label.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

worst statistical season?

his sv% is 920.

the previous seasons?

so its actually just a hair under his best statistical season by SV %

GAA? 2.37
Previous years?

so actually its right smack in the middle of his previous years

Shutouts? 7

Previous years?

2nd best of his career, and possibly may equal or better his previous best.

Did ya even look at the stats before you made this post brah?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote