HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lift the Vancouver curse win 3-2

Old
02-22-2011, 11:52 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Eller line was great

our D look better with Mara and Gill

Price always good
Man Mara seems like the dman we needed back there. A lot of people were not thrilled with the deal, saying he was slow and such.

He looks like he has decent wheels for the size he is. Right in the first period when he got hit by Torres got up in his face started pushing him all the way to the bench until he did a line change. Thats the stuff we need in our lineup.

Watched Mara close tonight, as it was more of a comfort game being his second game back and adapting possibly to Martin's system again. The guy didn't make a mistake and was solid on checking, moving people out of the front of the net.

I know one thing that needed to be changed, Kesler in front of Price screening. They all tried containing him to the outside instead of in his face. Weber didn't put any effort, let him stand there. Gill was in is face arms all over him pushing him out.

You would think Mara wouldn't make a difference but he is IMO.

Each pairing is complemented.

Hamrlik - Def Wisniewski - Off
Gill - Def Subban - Off
Mara - Def Weber - Off

Each pairing has a RHD and a LHD, which is perfect.

Offense, played reat defensively and chipped in at key times, great team win all together.

PS White, shoud stay in the lineup permanently and Pyatt a scratch. White was going so hard to the net tonight, shoving te canucks dmen right on Luongo. White seemed to always be getting the heat from them after the whistle. Not saying they were intimidated, but he was right in there and they were trying to shove him. Kind of get under the skin abit. Size to back it up and will drop em if needed to. Keeper for sure.

Last edited by BigHabs: 02-22-2011 at 11:57 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Eller is fearless...two Nucks players ready to hit him if he wants to retrieve a loose puck along the boards and the guy still does it and on top of that gains possesion.

I always go back to that shift vs Tyler Myers where he got hit in the head, behind the back, cross checked wtvr...he continued to play hockey and go after the puck. I love his competitivness. Mix that in with his passing ability like on the AK goal...I laugh when people are already claiming the Blues won that trade.
He's such a smooth skater too. Definitely a fun player to watch.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Pretty funny that the title of this GDT starts with "Kaboom baby" - those were the exact words I shouted after the Habs won tonight
Those are usually the exact same words I shout after...wait nvm

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Pretty funny that the title of this GDT starts with "Kaboom baby" - those were the exact words I shouted after the Habs won tonight
Obviously; we have a camera on the scene. You happenned to be the most entertaining available quote.

Never forget that Big Boarder is watching You.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Desharnais

1 goal

5 MINS TOI

????
I think I remember someone predicting this once Cammy came back. I wonder who that could be?

In fairness though, I was shocked to see his ice time cut back so far. As I didn't see DD make any mistakes to warrant it.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
Couple comments on the game.

1. Eller is so much more comfortable at center. He played a great game.

2. Kostisyn had a monster game. Big hit on Erhoff, played strong on the puck.

3. Seems like Eller fits Kosty's game more than Gomez. Gomez's former linemates generated much more offense today.
Kosty needs someone who is shifty, strong along the boards, and battles to make surprise passes.

Gomez plays an east-west game, and a more finesse game. He opens no ice, and usually draws in one defender. Board battles often time pull in two. Pleks and Eller play incredibly similar games. We've seen Eller and Kosty together a few times, all with good results. You just can't put them on the wings together, that just does not work.

But really, what a game from Eller from front to back. This was by far his best game as a Hab - he didn't score, but I would say he was one of the best players on both sides of the ice.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

White lol

And DDH giving the duckface

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Eller is fearless...two Nucks players ready to hit him if he wants to retrieve a loose puck along the boards and the guy still does it and on top of that gains possesion.

I always go back to that shift vs Tyler Myers where he got hit in the head, behind the back, cross checked wtvr...he continued to play hockey and go after the puck. I love his competitivness. Mix that in with his passing ability like on the AK goal...I laugh when people are already claiming the Blues won that trade.
I'm not implying Eller is soft. I totally agree with you - he is fearless. But I can't really reegard him as being a "hitter". He rubs guys off the puck now and then, (he forechecks intelligently) but he does not have the "violence factor" of Moen, AKost or Hamrlik.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Desharnais

1 goal

5 MINS TOI

????
Yea, I'll agree with you on that one. But I think it has to do with the fact we got a lot of penalties. And that maybe wanted to go with more experienced players at key moments, in order to protect the lead? I duno. But I agree, I wanted to see him play more. Oh, Pouliot's bad penalty may have also been a reason seeing they're the same line...

Otherwise, good game by Price, PK, AK, Gill and Hamrlik. Pleks had some god moments, but he was busy playing defensively. Gionta was great. Gomer, well, had some good moments, missed 2 empty nets I think?

All in all, good game. Much needed victory.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sheed36

Well I certainly didn't expect that result tonight.. You just never know which Habs team will show up on any given night..

The Habs played a very good game other than a few times when the Sedins were just dominating and having their way with them..

Price 2-0 against the Canucks this year.. That's what you get for lighting him up 7-1 in that game a couple of years ago..

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:57 PM
LyleOdelein

A few things:

1) That's the first time in a long time that I've seen the Habs "bend but not break" on D. I wasn't quite sure if they could play that way without Gorges in the line-up, but there it is. Great to see.

2) I hope all the people that think Martin is a petty spiteful man who spends the majority of his free time hatching plans to destroy Eller and Kostitsyn's confidence noticed the massive vote of confidence that he gave them both by putting them on late in the game to reward their excellent AND responsible play tonight. It would've been easy for him to keep those two on the bench but he specifically rolled that line out there with a purpose and they didn't let him down. That is great message sending by a coach.

3) Hal Gill's dive is a perfect metaphor for him as a player. It was ugly and unorthodox but in the end he got the job done.

4) I can't believe that Subban is still stuck with his draft label of being poor defensively.

5) This team as a whole got it done in a true litmus test of a game. The resiliency of this team's core can't be questioned, although it'd be nice to see a little more consistency.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Habit11

Goals tonight off of skill, hard work, and going to the dirty areas of the ice to make plays. Nice to see them crashing the net, and being first to loose pucks. Price was solid. Gill's dive to get to make it icing with under a minute left looked like a slow motion plane landing, but he got the job done.

If Max Pac doesn't hit the post when it's 2 - 0 and he had Luongo beat, this game is a lot less stressful, and if Gomez could hit an open... ah, forget it, Habs won anyway.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I think I remember someone predicting this once Cammy came back. I wonder who that could be?

In fairness though, I was shocked to see his ice time cut back so far. As I didn't see DD make any mistakes to warrant it.
Unfortunately, it was Pouliot who continues to play dumb hockey. Martin clearly did not want to play Pouliot in the third, and perhaps because the rest of the lines were playing well, Martin did not want to insert Desharnais and disrupt the chemistry. Le_sean also brings up a good point, that Vancouver is a physical team, so Martin may have more comfortable leaving the smaller player on the bench.

Either way, I agree, Desharnais didn't make any mistakes, and I feel bad that he was a spectator during the 3rd period. He deserved more.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Impossible Glory

Kostitsyn had a pretty good game tonight.If there were scouts tonight, they must be impressess.

Now, if your were PG, would you trade him now for what he can bring back? Or would you take the chance that after 3-5 games he comes back to the "bad" AK? On the other hand, there's a chance that he continues to play well with Eller.

It would be a really tough decision for me...

Impossible Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Miller Time

i called 4-1, and if not for a dive by ballard, i think it would have finished that way

great job bouncing back from the poor performance in Calgary.

- Eller IS the real deal, the kid will just continue to improve, hopefully JM starts to give him better minutes and better linemates as the season winds down.

- Don't like Pouliot getting benched after that B.S diving call. Once again holding a young guy "accountable" to a much higher standard than he does with vets.

- Gomez played ok... and probably about as good as we can expect from him... while it's not terrible, it's basically marginal 2nd line centre play, and with his cap hit in a cap system, it's just not good enough. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way to move him. Eller/DD/Halpern have us covered behind Pleks for now, the "drop" won't even be noticeable.

- Cammy looks as bad as he did last year coming back from injury, and while it is understandable to a point, something about it doesn't sit great. Last time he had a knee injury, so for a player needing his "jump"/ agility, it made sense for his game to be slow coming back... this time it's his shoulder, so really, his moving out there shouldn't be as bad as it seems... he would have been able to skate pretty quickly in the recovery, and while it does take some time for "game legs" to get back, I expected better from him, but as long as he picks it up and goes on a tear down the stretch, I'll be happy.

- Gill made a play at the end of the game that worked out well, but the only reason it took such a dramatic "dive" to get to the puck is b/c of how terribly limited his mobility is. He gets beat WAY too often 5 on 5, it's painful to watch. Love the guy, but this year is it... he should pack it in and call it a day, and if he doesn't, then I hope the team bids him farewell. Simply too slow to be an effective top-6 dman at this point.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

After hearing JM talk about DD, I'm really confident he'll use him wisely. Martin loves Desharnais work ethic and potential, but he probably feels he's still too vulnerable to counter the Sedins/Kesler offense when the team is down by one goal. I'm sure it's nothing personal, and JM wants to bring him slowly into a bigger role instead of throwing to the wolves too fast.

I'd be more worried if I was Pouliot. But again, it was a "defense first" type of game, and JM wanted to play his best defensive lines.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
When people expect them to lose they win. When people expect them to win they lose. I'm scared for the Leafs game coming up now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:00 AM
JBIZ14

Great game guys...Big fan of Price and he didn't disappoint. Best of luck the rest of the way.

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:01 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Goals tonight off of skill, hard work, and going to the dirty areas of the ice to make plays. Nice to see them crashing the net, and being first to loose pucks. Price was solid. Gill's dive to get to make it icing with under a minute left looked like a slow motion plane landing, but he got the job done.

If Max Pac doesn't hit the post when it's 2 - 0 and he had Luongo beat, this game is a lot less stressful, and if Gomez could hit an open... ah, forget it, Habs won anyway.
I agree with the short assessment: simple game plan. Pucks got to the net, aggressive forecheck, all the while staying mindful of where players needed to be in defensive coverage and commiting to the plan.

Please no more ragging on Gomez though........... he has played a string of solid games lately.

Lets find another whipping boy - I suggest Andrei Markov for being made of glass.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I'm not implying Eller is soft. I totally agree with you - he is fearless. But I can't really reegard him as being a "hitter". He rubs guys off the puck now and then, (he forechecks intelligently) but he does not have the "violence factor" of Moen, AKost or Hamrlik.
No, he is not a hitter at all but he still doesn't shy away from physical play which to me is very important. He might not hurt you when he hits you, but you will still see him finish his check and hit a player to get a loose puck...something we don't see from a few others on this team.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
HabFan1975

Great win tonight, hope we carry this momentum into next game.
Only thing that bothered me tonight is Hammer ice time on the PP, I just dont understand how he gets 4:30 of pp compared to Subbans 1:47

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
I thought Mara was pretty solid tonight. Not spectacular, but he does offer some size back there, and he does offer some intimidation. With Moen, Mara, and White we have a tougher team. And I don't care what some people say, but PK will tough it out when he needs to as well.

I actually think that Gauthier has done a decent job at addressing the toughness. I love the fact that Mara addressed Torres' elbow on Patches.

It will be interesting to see what or if anything Gauthier does leading up to the deadline after tonight's game. The team played as a team tonight, with good chemistry.
I was scrambling in and out of the room tonight, but from what I saw (I mean about 80% of the game) I thought Mara was very decent, too.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
prairie hab

Can we quit overanalyzing the ice time given/not given to the Desharnais line?
They were getting dominated.

Dammit - the kid has played less than half of an NHL season. BABY STEPS.
Pouliot, warranted or not, needs to stay out of the box.
White is in a similar boat as Desharnais.

Patience please. I think Martin knows what he is doing, as painful as that is to admit sometimes.

Old
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Eller hitting might be a stretch........
Eller had a few good hits, two in one shift in the third. He played a very good game, too. He, Andrei and Moen were our best and certanly most physical line on the night.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM
just22
meat and taters

entertaining game that the Habs clearly wanted to win more, congrats

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote