HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Reid proposal.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2003, 08:13 AM
  #26
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Not to be overly blunt about it, but dealing Reid for a pick accomplishes what exactly?
Exactly. Furthermore, the chances of getting a player better than Reid in the 3rd round of the draft, is highly unlikely.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 11:12 AM
  #27
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
]

I dont get your statement? Did you admit Reid is the better player???
Uh..no.

You were making the argument that because Reid was called up before other players last year that naturally that means he is higher on the chart this year. I was debunking that saying that it doesn't matter what is done the year before when it comes to the new season. Reid was outplayed in training camp by more than one player. And so, because of THAT, he has dropped down the ladder abit.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 12:09 PM
  #28
Jon Burke
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Uh..no.

You were making the argument that because Reid was called up before other players last year that naturally that means he is higher on the chart this year. I was debunking that saying that it doesn't matter what is done the year before when it comes to the new season. Reid was outplayed in training camp by more than one player. And so, because of THAT, he has dropped down the ladder abit.
And so we should trade him? That makes no sense. Reid has NHL skills - you have to if you are able to put up 2 goals and 3 assists in just 7 NHL games. And while it's difficult to imagine him maintaining that pace when and if he sticks with the big club for a full season, that is an indication of his potential. He can score goals and makes plays, and I see no reason why we should move him. He's just 22, still quite young, and there's no point in moving him for a draft pick.

If we are to move him, it should be for a player who can help us in the playoffs like Scott Walker or something. Not some mid-round draft pick.

 
Old
10-10-2003, 01:29 PM
  #29
TonyTanti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
And so we should trade him? That makes no sense. Reid has NHL skills - you have to if you are able to put up 2 goals and 3 assists in just 7 NHL games. And while it's difficult to imagine him maintaining that pace when and if he sticks with the big club for a full season, that is an indication of his potential. He can score goals and makes plays, and I see no reason why we should move him. He's just 22, still quite young, and there's no point in moving him for a draft pick.

If we are to move him, it should be for a player who can help us in the playoffs like Scott Walker or something. Not some mid-round draft pick.
You know, I like Reid and really hopes he does well in the NHL, always love to see the little guy succeed.

As far as the 5 pts in 7 games, say it together everyone Small Sample Size.

TonyTanti is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 01:44 PM
  #30
Peter
Registered User
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,661
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
And so we should trade him? That makes no sense. Reid has NHL skills - you have to if you are able to put up 2 goals and 3 assists in just 7 NHL games. And while it's difficult to imagine him maintaining that pace when and if he sticks with the big club for a full season, that is an indication of his potential. He can score goals and makes plays, and I see no reason why we should move him. He's just 22, still quite young, and there's no point in moving him for a draft pick.

If we are to move him, it should be for a player who can help us in the playoffs like Scott Walker or something. Not some mid-round draft pick.
Laugh.

I am not sure if some of you are even bothering to read the original post at the beginning of this thread. In it, in case you haven't read it, I ask the question whether or not Burke may be willing to move Reid to a team like Atlanta for "Reid's sake". I am making the argument that Burke could be a nice guy here and move a player that has no future with the Canucks to another team who could use him.

By no means have I said or indicated that I don't like Reid nor that he has no talent. I have called him an NHL player. I have called him talented BUT he is behind Morrison, Sedin, Chubarov, Lindgren and Kesler to begin with and perhaps even behind Fedor Federov (although I wouldn't die on that hill).

Unless he gets switched to a wing where will Reid play for the Canucks?? How long do you keep an NHL ready player on the farm for the sake of depth??? Sooner or later the player is going to regret being with said team and begin to demand a trade. Burke could help the player and his career by parolling him from the Moose and giving him a chance in the NHL with another team.

As for what Reid's worth is I think you all are fooling yourself if you think we will get anything but 3rd round pick for him. He has shown nothing to warrant anything higher at this point.

Peter is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 02:23 PM
  #31
TonyTanti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Burke has never traded a player for "insert players name sake" and why should he? I realize Kariya isn't the best example but how long was he in Manitoba when it was painfully clear that he had no future in Vancouver.

As to the 3rd round pick, we got Jokela for Kariya who ended up on waivers this year so I think you're selling a little bit low. At the minimum imo we'd get someone back who could play in the AHL.

TonyTanti is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 05:36 PM
  #32
quat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 8,918
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Laugh.

I am not sure if some of you are even bothering to read the original post at the beginning of this thread. In it, in case you haven't read it, I ask the question whether or not Burke may be willing to move Reid to a team like Atlanta for "Reid's sake". I am making the argument that Burke could be a nice guy here and move a player that has no future with the Canucks to another team who could use him.

By no means have I said or indicated that I don't like Reid nor that he has no talent. I have called him an NHL player. I have called him talented BUT he is behind Morrison, Sedin, Chubarov, Lindgren and Kesler to begin with and perhaps even behind Fedor Federov (although I wouldn't die on that hill).

Unless he gets switched to a wing where will Reid play for the Canucks?? How long do you keep an NHL ready player on the farm for the sake of depth??? Sooner or later the player is going to regret being with said team and begin to demand a trade. Burke could help the player and his career by parolling him from the Moose and giving him a chance in the NHL with another team.

As for what Reid's worth is I think you all are fooling yourself if you think we will get anything but 3rd round pick for him. He has shown nothing to warrant anything higher at this point.
The thing is, depth in an organization is very important. Also, you are selling Reid short (heh), because of one weak training camp. I mean come on, the guy did well with the big club the few games he played last season, and even got some decent minutes in the playoffs, and now the guys worth nothing because of the training camp. Man, you are a tough GM.

quat is offline  
Old
10-10-2003, 11:41 PM
  #33
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Laugh.

I am not sure if some of you are even bothering to read the original post at the beginning of this thread. In it, in case you haven't read it, I ask the question whether or not Burke may be willing to move Reid to a team like Atlanta for "Reid's sake". I am making the argument that Burke could be a nice guy here and move a player that has no future with the Canucks to another team who could use him.

By no means have I said or indicated that I don't like Reid nor that he has no talent. I have called him an NHL player. I have called him talented BUT he is behind Morrison, Sedin, Chubarov, Lindgren and Kesler to begin with and perhaps even behind Fedor Federov (although I wouldn't die on that hill).

Unless he gets switched to a wing where will Reid play for the Canucks?? How long do you keep an NHL ready player on the farm for the sake of depth??? Sooner or later the player is going to regret being with said team and begin to demand a trade. Burke could help the player and his career by parolling him from the Moose and giving him a chance in the NHL with another team.

As for what Reid's worth is I think you all are fooling yourself if you think we will get anything but 3rd round pick for him. He has shown nothing to warrant anything higher at this point.
You are making the rather odd assumption that Reid has gone from a regular on this team in the playoffs last year to a guy with 'no future with the Canucks' based on one iffy training camp, and that the way the cuts came down in preseason is carved in stone as the way the callups will go in the upcoming months. As quickly as Reid's fortunes turned downward the past month, they will turn up again if he performs as he's capable of performing in the AHL. Reid has proven he can be an effective player in the NHL while neither Bouck nor Kesler have even shown that at the AHL level, and to assume that those guys will out-perform him there this season is still a bit of a stretch to me. I completely fail to understand how, in your mind, there is zero hope of him ever fitting into our plans again given both his age and what he showed during his time here only a couple months ago.

MS is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 12:48 AM
  #34
cyrisweb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat
The thing is, depth in an organization is very important. Also, you are selling Reid short (heh), because of one weak training camp. I mean come on, the guy did well with the big club the few games he played last season, and even got some decent minutes in the playoffs, and now the guys worth nothing because of the training camp. Man, you are a tough GM.

Having said all that please tell me where does Reid fit into our current lineup? In place of Morrison? no.. In place of Hank Sedin? No. In place of Linden? No, in place of Chubarov? no..So unless they move him to too wing.. His only real option is too wait..He's not going to wait in the minors forever.. I could see him being moved close too the trade deadline as part of a package for a player too help in the last ditch effort to strengthen this team for a cup run.

cyrisweb is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:17 AM
  #35
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
Having said all that please tell me where does Reid fit into our current lineup? In place of Morrison? no.. In place of Hank Sedin? No. In place of Linden? No, in place of Chubarov? no..So unless they move him to too wing.. His only real option is too wait..He's not going to wait in the minors forever.. I could see him being moved close too the trade deadline as part of a package for a player too help in the last ditch effort to strengthen this team for a cup run.
Actually, yes likely Reid, Kesler or Lindgren would replace Henrik or Chubarov if either of those two were injured. Reid is still very young & can use the playing time he will get on the Moose compared to sitting on the bench for the Canucks. What Reid proved at training camp this year is that he was not ready for the NHL. Like Druken before him, Reid may have assumed he would automatically make the team based on his play at the end of last season. In the NHL there are no automatics, especially for 5'9" rookies. He, & he alone, allowed himself to be bumped down the depth chart. King making the team proved there was at least one opening for a roolie on the team. At the beginning of training camp, Reid was at the top of the list of rookies.

I'm glad to hear Reid is upset about not making the Canucks. In the past he has shown he has the drive & the will to prove he belongs on the better team. Right now either Lindgren or Chubarov are taking up Reid's spot on the Canucks. It's up to Reid to take one of those spots away from them by playing so well on the Moose that Crawford & Burke have to take notice & bring him back up. The same goes for every other prospect with the Canucks. That's how prospects & rookies make it to the lineup for good teams in the NHL.

Give Reid away because Peter thinks he deserves to play in the NHL because of what he's done so far? What a joke! Strong teams build that strength because younger players go out & prove they are better than the veterans while at the same time the veterans have to beat off the challenges of the rookies & show why they earned a roster spot in the first place. A playoff contender just doesn't need a strong farm team in case of injuries. It needs a strong farm team to keep pushing the vets to play like vets & keep their jobs. We don't keep vets around just because they were good in the past. If that was so, Burke would have scooped Messier up on waivers.

Hi-wayman is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:32 AM
  #36
Kootnuck
Registered User
 
Kootnuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cranbrook
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Speed!

Why get rid of Reid? The Canucks know that speed kills, and Reid is very fast....skating with or without the puck. I miss Letowski already beacause he was so dam fast, it was fun watching him hustle. I think Reid will be called up this year and make em all wonder way he didnt make the team in the first place.

Kootnuck is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:34 AM
  #37
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
Having said all that please tell me where does Reid fit into our current lineup? In place of Morrison? no.. In place of Hank Sedin? No. In place of Linden? No, in place of Chubarov? no..So unless they move him to too wing.. His only real option is too wait..He's not going to wait in the minors forever.. I could see him being moved close too the trade deadline as part of a package for a player too help in the last ditch effort to strengthen this team for a cup run.
How long do you expect Tracy Linden to be around? As i see it now Reid is being groomed as his potential replacement.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 09:53 AM
  #38
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
How long do you expect Tracy Linden to be around? As i see it now Reid is being groomed as his potential replacement.
I believe Trevor is signed for another 2 years. I can't see Reid being groomed to replace Linden, two totally different styles & roles on a hockey team. If any prospect that could be groomed to replace Linden, it would be Kesler.

I still think Reid has a future with the Canucks, but he's going to have to earn it on his own merit & show the team that the team would benefit with his speed & play making style of play. More on the line of a Ronning or a Cassels with speed or a Letowsky with better skill & talent. I think he is on the right track by his body building & adding muscle & weight over the summer, but he next has to learn to adjust to that extra weight without losing his speed. Much like Sopel at the beginning of last year.

Hi-wayman is offline  
Old
10-11-2003, 10:42 AM
  #39
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman
I believe Trevor is signed for another 2 years. I can't see Reid being groomed to replace Linden, two totally different styles & roles on a hockey team. If any prospect that could be groomed to replace Linden, it would be Kesler.

I still think Reid has a future with the Canucks, but he's going to have to earn it on his own merit & show the team that the team would benefit with his speed & play making style of play. More on the line of a Ronning or a Cassels with speed or a Letowsky with better skill & talent. I think he is on the right track by his body building & adding muscle & weight over the summer, but he next has to learn to adjust to that extra weight without losing his speed. Much like Sopel at the beginning of last year.
True Kesler is really close in style to Linden, but some prospects can only play on the top 2 lines (like MA Bernier, your 2nd rd pick 2003) while others can play on any line. And i believe is a versatile player. If Vancouver wants to convert him into an energy forward that is used on the PK with a bit of scoring touch he could play that role effectivly.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.