HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Should the Flyers Retire 88?

Old
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Sniders only failing is that he listens to Clarke. I probably shouldn't have included him.
Yeah, that dude that built a Cup Winner in Minnesota/Dallas, another team that went to the SCF in FLA (from the ground up), and built some very good teams here and probably would have won a Cup if his team hadn't been destroyed by injuries prior to the lockout.

*ing terrible guy to listen to there.

If Snider HAD listened to Clarke about Lindros sooner, things might have been much different (and better) for us. For example, we wouldn't have been watching a Brind'Amour retirement ceremony in another city the other day.

Not saying Clarke didn't have his foibles, but there have been many more FAR WORSE GMs in this league than better.

Last edited by Jester: 02-22-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:13 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I read "Clarke" as "Carle" at first glance. You can imagine my confusion
If Carle had knocked out Sean Avery, I'd totally retire 25.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Kermit the Prog

If I was able to decide if #27 should be retired, I would most likely go with the Flyer who wore that number while winning the Conn Smythe Trophy in a losing effort in the playoffs...Reggie Leach.

That being said, Mark Howe first and anyone else after.

Kermit the Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyK15 View Post
I say retire 88.
N Friggen O

NO!

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:52 PM
FlyerX

Nobody will ever wear 88 again for the Flyers . . . so it is unofficially retired.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Nobody will ever wear 88 again for the Flyers . . . so it is unofficially retired.
Im not sure how you actually feel about this, but I actually beleive this.....I dont think anyone will touch 88 playing for this team, even if it was their childhood/career number

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:37 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Im not sure how you actually feel about this, but I actually beleive this.....I dont think anyone will touch 88 playing for this team, even if it was their childhood/career number
How do I feel about this? Well, I don't really care much about retiring numbers no matter who's involved. I think the whole concept is a bit silly. Lindros is the best player I've ever seen on a game-in/game-out basis, certainly the best player in hockey for at least a couple years there.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
I doubt this very much. If we got Patrick Kane or Peter Mueller, why not?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Maybe not in the near future, but if it isn't retired and he isn't in the HOF, in ten-twenty years no one will really care. I mean I know guys like Tim Kerr and Brian Propp meant a lot to this team at certain points and had some pretty great seasons for the Flyers, but if someone throws on one of their numbers, no one will really get all that worked up about it these days. I mean Gagne wore Tim Kerr's number and no one really talks about that. If someone throws on an 88 tomorrow, people might care. If someone does it in 2025 and Lindros is not in the HOF, no one will care. People may make references, but its not going to be like an OMG kind of thing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Jester

I doubt people would really care about it right now other than saying that it was interesting. Everything always seems more dramatic in hypotheticals.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I doubt people would really care about it right now other than saying that it was interesting. Everything always seems more dramatic in hypotheticals.
Yeah that's true. I mean I wouldn't care, mostly because of the way things ended between him and the organization. I was a little bummed because Versteeg was wearing LeClair's number because he was always my favorite player growing up, but I'm not going to hold it against him. There are definitely some people who would make a big stink about things if someone came in and wore #88. That being said, in NHL I always switch someone's number to 88 if acquire them by trade or free agency. Just to spice things up a bit.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
healthyscratch

Pronger?! Zero chance that Pronger gets his number retired here, not matter what happens in the next couple years. Zero, IMO. Like someone else had said, you need to be a lifelong or well tenured Flyer AND win a cup to be considered for that honor. As we all know, the organization does not not take retiring numbers lightly, which is a good thing.

While Pronger has been a great player for a long time, most of it was not as a Flyer. And while I love him as a player, he wouldn't even deserve to be hanging next to the likes of Clarke, Barber etc. The next guys we'll be debating on retiring numbers is 18, 28, and 17. And we have plenty of time for that.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
For Pronger to have his number retired, he'd probably need to put in time as a coach as well.

Oh, and win a Cup here. There is that small matter.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
The only number we can say that about is 31.

And the only reason players might not wear 88 in OnB is because of fear of angering the hockey gods. It won't be because of the Flyers respect for Lindros. If someone requests it, he will wear it, the team won't deny the number.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:36 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i can see new york, toronto, or especially dallas retiring his number....but philly?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Fleetwood Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
So let's retire Primeau's number then.
Yeahh!!! Now we're talking!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHGMqXQEfw4

We should retire #20 as well...for Jonesy.

And #22...between Knuble and Leino, it doesn't get any better.

Fleetwood Mac Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:24 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Im like 51/49 in favor of retiring it. He was hockey's best player when I was 10 years old.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Bittco

This really is a debate about what standards the Flyers should use to retire jerseys and Ashbee does sort of confuse that. Obviously with clarke, barber, parent its hhof and cup winners. Ashbee is a cup winner, heart and soul, tragedy type retirement. You don't want to be like Colorado retiring Bourque for essentially 1 season but its kind of boring if you have overly high standards.

i dont think the standard should be hhof and cup winner but the flyers do have their own hall of fame which includes banners. this should cover most players. i say a borderline hhof who played the predominent portion of his careear here should qualify- so yes i think Howe should have his number retired...and maybe 88- def not hexy and i wasnt around for the 80's teams so i cant make any further judgments on them

Bittco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
If Lindros goes HHOF (which he should), maybe... in 20 years or so. He's my fave ever player, and would probably be in an all-time NHL team in terms of ability and peak level of play, but I still don't think his jersey should be in the rafters... though I would not like to see any player wear it, it would just be... wrong, like if Ovi or Sid got injured and someone from the Caps wore 8, or Pens wore 87.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If you retire 88, then you have to retire a bunch of guys that played in the 80's.
I am as big a Lindros fan as there is, but I would completely agree this. Howe would easily be my first choice.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, that dude that built a Cup Winner in Minnesota/Dallas, another team that went to the SCF in FLA (from the ground up), and built some very good teams here and probably would have won a Cup if his team hadn't been destroyed by injuries prior to the lockout.

*ing terrible guy to listen to there.

If Snider HAD listened to Clarke about Lindros sooner, things might have been much different (and better) for us. For example, we wouldn't have been watching a Brind'Amour retirement ceremony in another city the other day.

Not saying Clarke didn't have his foibles, but there have been many more FAR WORSE GMs in this league than better.
Jester, are we talking about the 03-04 team that should have won a cup but was decimated by injuries??? Primeau carried that team so can we really say they would have won...but then say we should have had Brindamour?

I agree that it was a bad trade and I wish Brind'amour stayed here his entire career, but its hard to say whether that team would have been as good.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
thevoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
How in the world can anyone say anything bad about Ed Snider's tenor as owner of the Flyers. He's one of the best owners in all of sports and respected throughout the league for how the organ-i-zation is run. He built the buildings, brought the team to philly and kept it very competitive for almost every year since inception. The man is an institution.
As far as the numbers being retired, too many others are already identifed with some of the numbers being mentioned? Was Leclair really the best player to wear #10? I'm not sure if LeClair was mentioned as a joke, but I can't imagine retiring his number, atleast not for him. Same with Hextall. Was Hexy really the best #27? If you answered yes to these examples, you may not be too well versed on Flyer history. The numbers that should be retired, have been retired. Howe was a great player, but I can't see his number hanging from our rafters. Every all-star doesn't get their number retired. There have to be many factors weighed in the equation. Players who have their numbers retired should really be the epitome and major identity of an organization for a substantial period of time, and have achieved the greatest level of success during their tenure with the team. Nobody ever wore 16 after Clarke. Nobody ever wore 1 after Bernie. Only in Barber did they make the mistake of having his number tainted. With the exception of Barry Ashbee, who played 14 games for the Bruins before coming to the Flyers, all of the Flyers retired numbers are from players who were drafted by the Flyers, ended their playing career as a Flyer, and stayed with the organization after retirement. And, I should add, achieved great levels of success with and for the Flyers organization during their tenure.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.
thevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:43 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
As far as the numbers being retired, too many others are already identifed with some of the numbers being mentioned? Was Leclair really the best player to wear #10? I'm not sure if LeClair was mentioned as a joke, but I can't imagine retiring his number, atleast not for him. Same with Hextall. Was Hexy really the best #27? If you answered yes to these examples, you may not be too well versed on Flyer history. The numbers that should be retired, have been retired. Howe was a great player, but I can't see his number hanging from our rafters. Every all-star doesn't get their number retired. There have to be many factors weighed in the equation. Players who have their numbers retired should really be the epitome and major identity of an organization for a substantial period of time, and have achieved the greatest level of success during their tenure with the team. Nobody ever wore 16 after Clarke. Nobody ever wore 1 after Bernie. Only in Barber did they make the mistake of having his number tainted. With the exception of Barry Ashbee, who played 14 games for the Bruins before coming to the Flyers, all of the Flyers retired numbers are from players who were drafted by the Flyers, ended their playing career as a Flyer, and stayed with the organization after retirement. And, I should add, achieved great levels of success with and for the Flyers organization during their tenure.
As a bit of a youngster, nobody better to have worn 10 or 27 is coming to mind.

Please educate me?

(Note: I do not feel those numbers should be retired, but I can't think of anyone who would be more deserving with those numbers.)

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-25-2011 at 04:57 PM.
infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Flyers93

I think the bigger question is whether or not to just get it over with and retire # 28 right now, or wait 15-20 years.

Flyers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

A big part of raising the banner is holding a Stanley Cup. Lindors=No Stanley Cup=No Rafter

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote