HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That thing Jim Fox does at the end of every thought

Old
02-23-2011, 03:00 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
That thing Jim Fox does at the end of every thought

You know what I'm talking about. At the end of every extended thought when Fox uses a two part clause where his voice goes up in pitch, then pauses, then drops in pitch.

Has anyone ever asked him about it?

Does he know he's doing it? Is it an accent? Habit? Trademark? Could he stop if he tried? Does he want to?

Burning questions for me, I've always wondered.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:12 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Pretty sure there was a similar thread like this last year too. I'm sure someone's mentioned it to him before. I, for one, would not have him do the commentary any other way now. Every commentator's got their own cadence; his is just a little more entertaining.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:17 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

On a related note, I came across this video

Does anyone remember what led to that exchange?

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:18 AM
johnjm22

Ducks fans HATE that about him.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:19 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post

Kind of forgot about that. Ironic that that's Terry's brother.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:

Yup, it was an Ottawa game where Jim went off on Murray after Chara lined up on wing and pretty much suckered Gleason.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Chruceg

I absolutely notice it and quietly laugh to myself every time he does it.

It's the little things.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:

I don't know...but Foxy should have worn scuba gear at the time...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's almost retaliatory for making fun of the entire Ducks broadcast crew for so long. I dunno, I have been listening to Bob & Jim since I was like 4 years old. I can't picture a Kings broadcast any other way. Jim is a little out there, and it was funny seeing him do the broadcast that one day when Bob was gone "Shot. Save. Shot. Save. Shot. Save. Nothin' Happenin' Shot. Save. Nothin' Happenin'" Makes me laugh just thinking about it. The guy is a pure King and beloved, I think he has a lifetime contract as well in my opinion, he can do whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Yup, it was an Ottawa game where Jim went off on Murray after Chara lined up on wing and pretty much suckered Gleason.
Bingo. It was an Ottawa vs. Kings game and there were loads of fights and dirty plays and Fox suggested that Murray lost control of his team on air, and it resulted in that after the game once someone told Murray what he said.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
You know what I'm talking about.
Sure do and it annoys me. I'm sure I started a thread about it many years ago.

It's like he's running out of time, grabs a quick breather, then finishes his thought. Somebody once described it as a sing-songy delivery.

I'm sure he knows he does it and probably does it on purpose as "his thing."

Oh well, I would much rather have Bob and Jim than almost all of the announcers out there... I hear most of them on a regular basis (Center Ice is awesome)

Anytime an announcer indicates in any way they are rooting for a particular team I lose respect for them. Some do it a lot more than others, and I'm not saying Bob and Jim don't do it, but they do it much less than some others out there.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
You know what I'm talking about. At the end of every extended thought when Fox uses a two part clause where his voice goes up in pitch, then pauses, then drops in pitch.
It's called an upward inflection

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
BamBam1031

I think it's a good way for him to indicate to Bob that it's his turn to talk.

BamBam1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Pucknut50

I love Barney Rubble and Mr. Slate. Their ours yabba dabba dooooooo

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
vh2k7

Send a message via AIM to vh2k7 Send a message via MSN to vh2k7 Send a message via Skype™ to vh2k7
jim has a lot of quirks that you kind of have to get used to, but i've come to really enjoy the way he tells the game. when you listen to the rest of the league, it's really obvious that he's one of the better ones around.

vh2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:

... As I remember it, late in the game (when the Senators were well out in front, 5-1 or something I think) Chara switched positions with Vaclav Varada just before the faceoff, and immediately went after Gleason once the puck was dropped. Fox's words were "Bryan, I hope that you step out on the ice one day. Because ... you are unprofessional behind the bench, you yell at players, you send guys out, and you should be out $25,000 because of that." As far as I know, there's (or there was) a rule about the coach being fined if there was an instigator penalty in the last minute or whatever - but at the time of Jim's rant against Bryan Murray, Gretzky had the same situation happen to him and it got dismissed after the fact. When Bob Miller pointed this out and mentioned to Fox that Bryan Murray might have the fine dropped, Fox responded "well, if they do that, then it's a sham and a joke." I don't believe Fox ever went on a rant quite like that in all his years on the mic for the Kings.

Also, I'll just use this thread to mention that I'm a huge fan of Fox as a color commentator. I still think he's the best in the league, he explains all of his points very clearly and simply and never comes off like an obnoxious know-it-all. The Kings are very fortunate to have such a great pair like Miller and Fox working on their telecasts.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:27 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It's almost retaliatory for making fun of the entire Ducks broadcast crew for so long. I dunno, I have been listening to Bob & Jim since I was like 4 years old. I can't picture a Kings broadcast any other way. Jim is a little out there, and it was funny seeing him do the broadcast that one day when Bob was gone "Shot. Save. Shot. Save. Shot. Save. Nothin' Happenin' Shot. Save. Nothin' Happenin'" Makes me laugh just thinking about it.
I think someone put this in one of the GDTs during the game...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
tantrum4*

Just be glad you guys don't have to listen to the Oilers & Flames game correspondent Gene Principe on Sportsnet. Every time they throw to him between whistles for a report, he ends it with a HORRIBLE play on words or a pun. Sooo annoying and unfunny, yet the Sportsnet people seem to like it so he does it about 5 times per game.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
That was classic! Jim lost it on the air that night. I'll always remember Tim Gleason for kicking Shanahan's ass and fighting Chara (who cares that he lost, that is balls).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Totally.. and he does it at the beginning of ever game "Right now, with the play by play, Bob Miller". That line and his syntax are like is trademark. Jim is a quirky guy but that is why I like him. I can understand why he annoys teams of opposing fans though.

Anyone watch basball? Was just thinking that the Whitesox have some the worst homers in sports "Good guys up by 3 after the 5ht inning". I want to punch the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
I love Barney Rubble and Mr. Slate. Their ours yabba dabba dooooooo
Hell yeah!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
1. Jim Fox was the very first hockey player I met at a Kings skate when I was like 8 or something. He was super nice.

2. Foxy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Failward

Jim Fox does good color as a former player and can point out what the team did wrong w/o coming across like an a***ole.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
If any of you get a chance to watch Bob and Jim in action, there's a lot of non-verbal cues they use to help each other out as well. Things like Jim letting Bob know when shots hit the post (brushes one hand against the other), who actually scored on a tip-in when Bob is focused on the shooter, etc. Seeing them work really helped me appreciate how much is involved.

I can't imagine how much more difficult it is for the PBP guy when the color guy is inside the glass (outside the booth) and he has to go it alone.

Last edited by TonySCV: 02-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Alternate Jersey

i friggin love foxy, including that hilarious inflection. i always tell non-hockey fans about it when they come over and i have the game on...they notice it right away. it's so amazing how OFTEN he does it, too. but i wouldn't give bob and jim up for the world. it's already been said but they're both so knowledgeable. and somehow even though they've been with the kings so long, i think they avoid being homers pretty well, in terms of when penalties are called and when goals are under review, etc. sometimes, i actually want them to call out the other team just because i'm getting so irritated! a couple of great dudes we have in them.

that video is absolutely ridiculous. i had never heard about that. i feel bad for foxy, just standing there and taking it. i mean, i know he was probably trying to be professional, and probably felt guilty for saying that stuff on the air, but still. awful.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternate Jersey View Post
that video is absolutely ridiculous. i had never heard about that. i feel bad for foxy, just standing there and taking it. i mean, i know he was probably trying to be professional, and probably felt guilty for saying that stuff on the air, but still. awful.
... To be honest with you, with the display Bryan Murray put on - I'm sure Fox was thinking "Thanks for proving me right, Bryan! You ARE unprofessional and classless." Fox took the high road, and didn't lose his cool. I'm sure that at the end of the day he was happy he did.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Alternate Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... To be honest with you, with the display Bryan Murray put on - I'm sure Fox was thinking "Thanks for proving me right, Bryan! You ARE unprofessional and classless." Fox took the high road, and didn't lose his cool. I'm sure that at the end of the day he was happy he did.
yeah, that's pretty much what i figured. but still, and it's hard to explain, but it'd take a lot out of me to just stand there and let that somebody yell at me like that. so cheers, foxy.

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Darryl Evans does it too.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Darryl Evans does it too.
I still think it's pretty ridiculous how much Nick and Daryl sound like Bob and Jim. I've had to explain to a lot of people that they're not the same two people, and most of the time they don't believe me.

Also pretty weird that Nick used to be Bob's color guy.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote