HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the Flyers Achieve Stanley Cup goal?

Old
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
Will the Flyers Achieve Stanley Cup goal?

"The Pittsburgh Penguins' 2008-09 path to Stanley Cup victory was paved by losing to the Detroit Red Wings in the 2007-08 finals.

Last June, when Philadelphia was defeated by the Chicago Blackhawks, they fell short of winning their first Stanley Cup since 1974-75. The current Flyers team is on pace to win 50 games for the first time since the 1985-86 season when they amassed 53 victories, but failed to appear in the finals. According to Hockeyreference.com, they have only won fifty games five times in team history. The other four times they won fifty games they went to the finals and left their fingerprints on Lord Stanley's trophy twice.

Team depth and consistency seem to indicate that members of the orange and black will each grab that Cup during a June victory lap. But, hockey-nerds and their analysis are often thrown head first into dressing room lockers everywhere. Before that happens, let's review some facts before the first playoff puck is dropped......."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ycn-7853278

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
This thread has jinx written all over it?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
This thread has jinx written all over it?
At least he didn't say shutout.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:34 PM
mercury

The thing that jumped out at me most from that article was Holmgren's stats. I know the '80s were high-scoring (and his career was relatively short), but jeez. Averaging 0.61 PPG and 3.2 PIM is pretty badass. I was in preschool when he retired, so I don't remember him as a player, but those are some impressive numbers for "an enforcer."

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
At least he didn't say shutout.
Will the Flyers 'shutout' their way to a championship?

02-22-2011, 04:40 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
The thing that jumped out at me most from that article was Holmgren's stats. I know the '80s were high-scoring (and his career was relatively short), but jeez. Averaging 0.61 PPG and 3.2 PIM is pretty badass. I was in preschool when he retired, so I don't remember him as a player, but those are some impressive numbers for "an enforcer."
Yeah. That would be elite for his class of player today.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Orange Crush 89

If they don't it will be an epic disappointment. 'Do or ****ing die' is what I have to say about this year's team.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
If they don't it will be an epic disappointment. 'Do or ****ing die' is what I have to say about this year's team.
I agree...if this team doesn't at least get back to the Final, it's a total disappointment. If we get there and lose, it'll still be a disappointment given the strong regular season and hype. It'd be that much worse knowing that the odds of going back three times are stacked incredibly high against them...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It has to be this season. I just don't have that same feeling like i did last year, and i don't know why. We are solid from top to bottom. I'm just scared of running into a hot goaltender.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Yikes just like tonight? thats the difference having a goalie that can steal a game for you makes.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
With lackluster third periods in recent game, it is time to start questioning whether or not the up-tempo system, combined with a long playoff run last season is starting to catch up to the Flyers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
With lackluster third periods in recent game, it is time to start questioning whether or not the up-tempo system, combined with a long playoff run last season is starting to catch up to the Flyers.
It's also possible some sort of bug is passing through the locker room.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That's very possible too, since Richards had the flu.

People who have the flu should stay away from the team, not sure why they never do.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
That's very possible too, since Richards had the flu.

People who have the flu should stay away from the team, not sure why they never do.
I actually heard today that it was food poisoning

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Snipsnap12

In reply to the cup thing, all the stats, talent, skill aside....... I know one thing about this team that I learned last year... they can never be counted out, they never give up, and they leave it all on the ice to win when it truly counts. I get goosebumps thinking about last years cup run and it truly was the greatest pride I have ever felt to be a flyers fan.

When I ever think of things that might put them winning in doubt, I always hold on to that one thing.... that they play with heart, I know it may be unrealistic, irrational but its something that truly makes me beleive

Old
02-23-2011, 06:23 AM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
It's also possible that you are a resident of Negadelphia with a half-empty glass of fool-aid. Don't be such a Debbie Downer, everything will be fine. It's just a game for crying out loud.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Yikes just like tonight? thats the difference having a goalie that can steal a game for you makes.
This one goes on the team effort. There were good stretches and the Hartnell-Giroux-Carter line had a decent game but they need to convert more on their chances, plus Giroux and Carter need to STOP playing like it is a pickup all-star game. No blind passes, no behind the back passes, and if you are going to shoot the puck get higher percentage shots than the shots on bad angles EVERY TIME.

And Laviolette needs to figure out the PP, I hate the drop passes and see Giroux skate through five guys. It is a good thing that Stevens is not patrolling the blueline any longer or Giroux's career would be over by now.

Let the d-men force the opposing defense four deep on the blueline and bang the puck around the boards and get a two-on-one along the boards....thus why they call it a "man advantage".

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Yup, it is called over-confidence.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
It's also possible that you are a resident of Negadelphia with a half-empty glass of fool-aid. Don't be such a Debbie Downer, everything will be fine. It's just a game for crying out loud.
I don't think it's about being a Debbie Downer. Nothing is guaranteed to this team no matter how high in the standings they may finish.

My big concern heading into the playoffs is that we will make it comfortably and 15 of our last 22 games are against (currently) non-playoff teams.

Last year, the Never Give Up Flyers came into the playoffs having essentially played elimination games for weeks, and fighting tooth-and-nail just to get in. Given that some members of this team's core have - historically - been prone to lapses when they expect they should win, my fear is that waiting until the playoffs start to ratchet up the intensity could bog them down a little.

I still believe anything is possible and I'm very optimistic about our chances, but there are many legitimate reasons to worry. Nothing is guaranteed in hockey, ever.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It's not being negative, more like being real. This team hasn't been close to their best for a few weeks now. And the theory of them wearing out is very valid, and is a very real concern. Take a look at the results of the last 20-30 teams who lost in the Finals and what they did the next season.

They could also just be getting bored waiting for the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Snipsnap12

I really beleive that this team learned alot from last year, I think there record is an indication they dont want to be scratching in for that last playoff spot, and they want the east and hopefully the final if they make it to run through Philadelphia. The team knows whats at stake, im sure these players know as well as the fans that their window is now.... guys like briere, pronger, OD that have been around for awhile im sure will let everyone know they gotta lay it down come april and finish last years job.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
I really beleive that this team learned alot from last year, I think there record is an indication they dont want to be scratching in for that last playoff spot, and they want the east and hopefully the final if they make it to run through Philadelphia. The team knows whats at stake, im sure these players know as well as the fans that their window is now.... guys like briere, pronger, OD that have been around for awhile im sure will let everyone know they gotta lay it down come april and finish last years job.
That's all well and good, but laying it down come April is playing a risky game. Some teams can wait until the playoffs and then just flip a switch and turn it on. Some teams can't, get caught flat-footed, and then have to heat up during the playoffs (rather than get hot going into them).

What made last year's team so tight was that they dealt with tons of must-win situations and adversity just to get to the dance. With some of the personalities on this team, I can't help but worry - just a little - whether or not coasting in can bite them.

I'd like to think Lavi, Pronger, Timonen, and the vets will have them ready to go at the right time, but taking the easy road through complacency is sometimes a risky proposition...

Old
02-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Snipsnap12

No doubt as soon as they enter the WFC for the first playoff game, the orange is flooding the building, and lauren hart/kate smith sing god bless america.... the boys will be ready

Old
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Miss Mess

The hottest teams going into the playoffs often go the deepest. If we go limping into the postseason with some **** March/April record, I will be concerned. But for now, I believe we can get to the finals again.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
It's not being negative, more like being real. This team hasn't been close to their best for a few weeks now. And the theory of them wearing out is very valid, and is a very real concern. Take a look at the results of the last 20-30 teams who lost in the Finals and what they did the next season.

They could also just be getting bored waiting for the playoffs.
Finally someone who agrees with me. Their last complete team effort up and down was Chicago. A true total and complete game. We haven't seen anything like it since. It might cut it during the regular season playing 1 1/2 periods a game and hoping to come out with a win, but it won't cut it during the playoffs. Their play has been utter crap and disinterested at times. Even though we won some games lately, we could have EASILY lost them. It doesn't give me any confidence watching the team play as they are right now.

Vancouver pulled a Philly last night against Montreal, hahaha

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote