HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev/Carcillo/Shelley

Old
02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
My work ethic would also drop if inferior players were taking my spot on the team even though I had been playing the way I was expected to play all season.
The reason why Zherdev is still fighting to get toi is becuase he has done what you said from the beginning.......he felt he has been playing the way he was being asked and expected that he would get more minutes, the coach felt differently although he did get increased minutes and PP minutes up to the Nashville/Dallas games. The fault lies only on the player.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Last 5 games:
Kings- There have been games where we've been shutout but outplayed the opponent. Last year against Halak is an example. I never had the feeling like we should've won this game.
Lightning- A strong start, but a piss poor effort for the 2nd half. Not a game to remember.
Florida- Once again, we fall apart at the end against a very weak team. It's not a win against a top team.
Carolina- Worst game we've played all year? Probably.
Rangers- I felt we got dominated for the majority of the game. We couldn't sustain a nice rhythm in the offensive zone and our defensive play was garbage all game long.
Wait. What? There's a 5-0 loss against Florida that comes to mind. Also, the game may have looked a little different offensively, had, you know, they been able to find Zherdev to insert into the lineup.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:20 AM
phillyfury

[QUOTE=Jester;31102377]Yeah, I've pretty much consistently stated that I wanted to see Zherdev playing with Richards. So get on with your bad self creating paper tigers.

Zherdev has been a puck hog here, and he's freelanced too much. That's why he's having trouble with the coach. He has 4 assists in 47 games, and the majority of his shifts have been with some of the top scoring guys on the team; just 4. He hasn't been dishing the puck plenty.

If you think Giroux is sitting around pondering who he's going to send the puck to, then you haven't been paying attention to Giroux.

Pretty pathetic straw horse here. Yes, of course, Giroux deliberates during his spare time to whom he will pass during the game. That's what I was arguing. You have an innate ability to tweek people's arguments to make a point.

Here's an alternate hypothesis (from Z getting shafted by his teammates): Z isn't playing within the system, so he isn't where his teammates expect him to be and that hurts his chance to get the puck.

Partially agree and I refer to this as chemistry.

Additionally, stretch passes are inherently risky... additionally, if the player is taking off on a lone ranger rush, the chance of a goal is pretty slim if the defense is organized. Whereas moving up as a unit provides offensive support.

The occassional breakout pass can beat any defense, and will keep them from pushing up if a forward like Zherdev is buzzing for a breakout pass. But I argued the Flyers don't play like this and that Zherdev should leave! The team should trade him pronto.

Carter and Giroux are both well ahead of Z as far as GFON/60, so they're doing something right.

Did I argue or intimate that Zherdev was ahead of these two, arguably the best tandem on the team? Of course not, but why let facts get in the way of your arrogant form of arguing.

Of course, you've also made it clear that all you come on this site to do is blabber about Zherdev... because you clearly have some sort of serious infatuation with the guy.

Add the ad hominem attack. When all else fails go for the personal juggular. And yeah, Zherdev is my favorite player on the team. Didn't know who the guy was until a few months ago, but after watching him play a very different style of hockey one based on skilled and smarts, I grew to like him. But I want him trade now. It is what is best for the team and the player. So much for your theory.

He's a flashy and skilled hockey player, but he spent last year in the KHL and there's a good chance he's going back there for a reason. Perhaps your lack of objectivity (blaming everyone else for Z's misfortune) is something you need to assess.

Again, if you read what I wrote, I essentially agree. I said he would probably prosper in the KHL due to the style of play which is more suited to him. You went to Penn, right? Not Penn State?

I was actually a very good baseball player, but the fact that you bring up this point pretty much proves that you have zero substance to what you're trying to say.

And why is that? Playing a sport as opposed to simply watching one gives one a different perspective, closer to that of a player. That was my point. A pimply-faced, gangly geek pouring over statistics, many of them meaningless, may not be able to grasp some of the nuances of team sport.

Pretty sad that a fellow alum would fall to a point like this. Be better than that for the Red and Blue.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Such condescension. Yep, you must be from Penn. Never really liked the school or most of the people who went there to tell you the truth.

phillyfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:06 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
The difference between me and Laviolette is that I care about who will help my team more, regardless of effort. That's cute that Shelley is giving 100% effort, but Zherdev is faster gliding than Shelley is doing full speed of whatever his excuse for skating is. He's far more useful to the team than Shelley is.
I don't even know how to respond to that first line. I have seen this post a few times and really don't know how any fan thinks they care more than the coach.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I don't even know how to respond to that first line. I have seen this post a few times and really don't know how any fan thinks they care more than the coach.
Talk about delusions of relevance.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfury View Post
Wow. Such condescension. Yep, you must be from Penn. Never really liked the school or most of the people who went there to tell you the truth.
Yeah, well, most of the athletes at Penn were d-bags that shouldn't have been in the school academically... want to play with stereotypes? More importantly, you got called out for saying something completely and utterly stupid: you played "high level" soccer on an anonymous message board and that gave you greater insight into what you are talking about.

1) You don't know **** about the people you are conversing with, so don't make assumptions that you have inherently superior reasoning (note: this is why people think folks that went to Ivy League schools are *******s). So, rather than fall back on the supposed magical power of playing soccer in the Ivy's, back your points up with legitimate arguments. As followed, it's pretty clear that I'm not the only one that thought that was a *ing dumb thing to say.

2) Learn how to use the multiquote tagging feature, I didn't bother to read much of your post because it wasn't worth the effort.

3) That wasn't really condescension... I really do expect better than "Well, I played soccer and clearly must know more about sports than you" from a fellow Penn alum in a discussion. If you didn't learn how to support your points better than that, then you didn't get much out of your time spent in Univ. City.

4) And you just admitted that you're a Zherdev fanboy, which is nice for you... but means you have an opinion completely and utterly lacking in objectivity. Additionally, Zherdev being your "favorite player" is a pretty strong indictment of your hockey knowledge, because he isn't a particularly good hockey player to stand up for the way you do. He's a one-dimensional guy that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table other than fancy stickhandling. You know soccer: is your favorite soccer player in the world the guy with fancy ball skills, but sucks defensively; has a terrible work ethic; and doesn't care about making his teammates better?

Last edited by Jester: 02-23-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, well, most of the athletes at Penn were d-bags that shouldn't have been in the school academically... want to play with stereotypes? More importantly, you got called out for saying something completely and utterly stupid: you played "high level" soccer on an anonymous message board and that gave you greater insight into what you are talking about.

1) You don't know **** about the people you are conversing with, so don't make assumptions that you have inherently superior reasoning (note: this is why people think folks that went to Ivy League schools are *******s). So, rather than fall back on the supposed magical power of playing soccer in the Ivy's, back your points up with legitimate arguments. As followed, it's pretty clear that I'm not the only one that thought that was a *ing dumb thing to say.

2) Learn how to use the multiquote tagging feature, I didn't bother to read much of your post because it wasn't worth the effort.

3) That wasn't really condescension... I really do expect better than "Well, I played soccer and clearly must know more about sports than you" from a fellow Penn alum in a discussion. If you didn't learn how to support your points better than that, then you didn't get much out of your time spent in Univ. City.

4) And you just admitted that you're a Zherdev fanboy, which is nice for you... but means you have an opinion completely and utterly lacking in objectivity. Additionally, Zherdev being your "favorite player" is a pretty strong indictment of your hockey knowledge, because he isn't a particularly good hockey player to stand up for the way you do. He's a one-dimensional guy that doesn't bring a whole lot to the table other than fancy stickhandling. You know soccer: is your favorite soccer player in the world the guy with fancy ball skills, but sucks defensively; has a terrible work ethic; and doesn't care about making his teammates better?
Boom

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The difference between the two is Laviolette has actually has something to show for his accomplishments.....

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Zherdev was waived.

According to Bob McKenzie

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Cartsiephan*