HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lift the Vancouver curse win 3-2

Old
02-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Everyone played great last night, sure the Canucks showed some signs of being a little superior but it was also because of the pp they got which they got momentum from. Defense was great, Price had no chance on both goals and made the key saves and even the Eller line was great and rewarded with plenty of ice time. Sucks for the DD line cause he and White were playing well until the dumb Pouliot penalty which they got benched for

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Next Best Thing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Here's a hypothetical situation that I'm wondering what your take is:

Let's say AKost's career plays out to be 15 years long. He bounces around between few teams and puts up solid, but unremarkable numbers (for comparison sake, let's say something similar to Jozef Stumpel's career).

Would you see this as a letdown for AKost based on what we've seen from him so far?

This isn't a trick or anything, I just see you commenting on AKost quite frequently and I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from with regards to what your expectations of him are.
Based on what we've seen so far that would be status quo, so I don't think it would be a disapointment in that sense. Compared to his immense potential though, yes it would certainly be.

Sometimes I get the impression that since he isn't very vocal and likes to keep to himself usually, the coaches have their way with him and much like us, designate him as the scapegoat. Yes, he does make visible mistakes on the ice, much like the Calgary game where he just seemed completely lost. But imo, if he would have his coache's support more often than not, it would help him cut those dry stretches to a game or two instead of 10.

I'll never expect him to be Alexander Ovechkin but he's the complete package and the type of player we desperately want to add (Penner anyone?), he is still relatively young too yet we aren't putting him in the best scenarios to succeed. That just baffles me.

I do have a soft spot for him though that I'll admit, and I've met him too.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Tuggy

Price quote after the game (from Yahoo team report):

Quote:
"I put a lot of mental preparation into this game. I really wanted it after giving up seven goals here last season and the guys knew that and they helped me out."
—Carey Price after picking up the first NHL win in his home province.
So it's pretty clear this was a huge game for Price and it's great to see him deliver.

And, am I the only one that has zero hope that this team will score when they a get a PP. Somehow they are 11th in the league but it feels like they never score on the PP. Maybe it's just me...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Mathletic

great game for Montreal, so I won't start complaining, and I know there were a few penalties in the game but still ... 5 minutes of ice-time for Desharnais, White and Pouliot?

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
great game for Montreal, so I won't start complaining, and I know there were a few penalties in the game but still ... 5 minutes of ice-time for Desharnais, White and Pouliot?
I think they deserved a little more ice time but you saw that the Eller line last night was playing great hockey and they deserved their ice time. I think Martin should have given a few more shifts to the DD line but anyways we got what we wanted and that's the 2pts, they will get their ice time against the Leafs tomorrow

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
According to RDS anyway, Martin is unhappy with bad penalties being taken by Pouliot and White. So they were already gonna get limited minutes, and then Pouls took an uncalled for 2 minutes, and that was their night.

Travis Moen was a BEAST last night. 18 minutes of ice time, great on the PK, huge shot blocks, and his line was awesome at 5-on-5. Actually the lines all look right at the moment EXCEPT Halpern playing wing on Plekanec's line. I like Halpern, but we have 5 centers right now, none of whom should really be scratched. And we lack a top 6 winger to play with Pleks.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think they deserved a little more ice time but you saw that the Eller line last night was playing great hockey and they deserved their ice time. I think Martin should have given a few more shifts to the DD line but anyways we got what we wanted and that's the 2pts, they will get their ice time against the Leafs tomorrow
Part of it was probably trying to avoid Desharnais having to defend Sedin or Kesler since vancouver had last change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
According to RDS anyway, Martin is unhappy with bad penalties being taken by Pouliot and White. So they were already gonna get limited minutes, and then Pouls took an uncalled for 2 minutes, and that was their night.

Travis Moen was a BEAST last night. 18 minutes of ice time, great on the PK, huge shot blocks, and his line was awesome at 5-on-5. Actually the lines all look right at the moment EXCEPT Halpern playing wing on Plekanec's line. I like Halpern, but we have 5 centers right now, none of whom should really be scratched. And we lack a top 6 winger to play with Pleks.
If AK can get hot or if we trade for a winger that would probably be the spot...the Gomez line was flying last night, especially in the 1st before we got in penality trouble.

I wouldn't mind trying the aK-Plekanec-Cammy line taht worked so well early on.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Part of it was probably trying to avoid Desharnais having to defend Sedin or Kesler since vancouver had last change.
Exactly. I didn't watch the game (too late for me) but Mathias Brunet was saying that Vigneault seemed to be trying to match Sedin against Desharnais. That's a mismatch of epic proportions. Wise coaching by Martin. Unfortunately for Desharnais, he won't play a lot on the road until he gains some experience and adjusts to NHL speed/strength. At home look for Martin to match him against 3rd and 4th lines (and weaker 2nd lines), which will be favorable for him.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
If AK can get hot or if we trade for a winger that would probably be the spot...the Gomez line was flying last night, especially in the 1st before we got in penality trouble.

I wouldn't mind trying the aK-Plekanec-Cammy line taht worked so well early on.
I'd keep the Eller - Kostitsyn duo for a few games. I think that playing on a 4th line pairs them up against weaker lines and gives them more opportunities to shine. That duo showed a lot of promise yesterday. Crazy how just removing one player and putting another in his natural position had such an impact.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:39 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I'd keep the Eller - Kostitsyn duo for a few games. I think that playing on a 4th line pairs them up against weaker lines and gives them more opportunities to shine. That duo showed a lot of promise yesterday. Crazy how just removing one player and putting another in his natural position had such an impact.
Actually the Eller - Kostitsyn duo played lot against Kesler's and Sedin's

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
This.

On the road, Martin doesn't have the last change. In the first period, and in their few shifts in the second, the DD's line wasn't even touching the puck everytime they were facing the Sedins or Kesler's line. Vignault knew it.

I love DD, but for now, he's a young and small player that looks good because his coach puts him in situations making him look good. And that is harder on road games. Let's just hope DD learns this year and that he will be able to face anybody next year. I believe it is his main challenge in the NHL.

Beside his line, everybody played well yesterday. Moen played his best game of the year. Eller and Kost were good. Gomez skated hard in all zones. In D, only Weber had a tough night, but he fought hard.

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Actually the Eller - Kostitsyn duo played lot against Kesler's and Sedin's
Kostityn and Eller seem to have very good chemistry at the moment.

Was I the only one surprised at Kostityn's defensive plays? I mean.. he wasn't brillant, but he was certainly a thousandfold more clever in his D play than his usual self!

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Kostityn and Eller seem to have very good chemistry at the moment.

Was I the only one surprised at Kostityn's defensive plays? I mean.. he wasn't brillant, but he was certainly a thousandfold more clever in his D play than his usual self!
He probably wanted to score another goal. To put puck in net, you need puck on stick.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Auld on Thursday? Price already has enough minutes played to rank 17th overall among goalie TOI last season. Need to rest him every now and then. I think he has 8 starts in the last 17 days.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Andy

Are we contenders again?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Auld on Thursday? Price already has enough minutes played to rank 17th overall among goalie TOI last season. Need to rest him every now and then. I think he has 8 starts in the last 17 days.
Auld should get the Leafs, and Price the Canes on Saturday...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Are we contenders again?
Too many bandwagon fans....I think we have to be happy they beat a very good team in the Nucks, for the second time this year...but then again they have lost to the Oil both times this year....the NHL has parity like no other league...it just doesn't make sense sometimes...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Too many bandwagon fans....I think we have to be happy they beat a very good team in the Nucks, for the second time this year...but then again they have lost to the Oil both times this year....the NHL has parity like no other league...it just doesn't make sense sometimes...
When our boys faced the Flames or the Oilers, they weren't feeling desperate or pressured.

When they faced the Canucks, they were starting to be worried at their recent defeat streak.

I believe our team is going to put the afterburner at the right time, and make every team that cross our path sweat like you currently do in a Libyan Sauna. That includes the playoffs.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I too thought ELLER (and KOST) were strong last night - Eller = speed, sound positional play at both ends of the ice, timely hits and some offensive touch! He will be a good one and glad he had a game to boost his confidence for a change. AKOST needs to get it into his head that he is effective when he uses his body to drive/create space in front of the net and does NOT Ryder like try the end to end rushes! hE WAS A POSITIVE FORCE LAST NIGHT for the first time in a long time!!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd try to hold out one more week and play him against Florida.

Not that I don't have confidence in Auld, just that it's very possible the team has a let down game against Toronto and a loss like that could be very demoralizing. Especially at home. Putting Price in would hopefully show the team that they need to take the Leafs seriously.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
He probably wanted to score another goal. To put puck in net, you need puck on stick.
I just wish he had more of that "Shoot first, ask questions never" mentality that Gionta has. With that killer wrist shot he has, he would probably be one of the biggest offensive threats in the team. Maybe Eller was that shot of adrenaline that AK needed to help the team.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
NBP81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post

Not that I don't have confidence in Auld, just that it's very possible the team has a let down game against Toronto and a loss like that could be very demoralizing. Especially at home. Putting Price in would hopefully show the team that they need to take the Leafs seriously.
Very good point. Not that Auld isnt good but there's this conception that you usually play the backups in games you're expected to win. And recently, under no circumstance I want the Habs to feel like its going to be a gimmie...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I am going to say this again, because frankly I am still amazed to see it. When we drafted Subban there were doubts he would ever make a good NHL defenseman because he supposedly was a "defensive liability".

Well don't look now, but the Montreal Canadiens' shutdown defenseman is PK Subban. He played the most minutes on the penalty kill last night, almost 7mins out of 9:50 we were shothanded and drew the assignment against the Sedins. The kid plays 27-30 minutes night in and night out against the opposition top offensive line. Defensive Liability my ass. And to think he is only 21.
If Markov and Gorges were playing all season, we would be seeing a different Subban right now. Gorges would be the same good ol' reliable heart & soul type of defenseman with Gill, and Subban would learn the game under Markov.

With Markov, he also would've had a few more points (along with the rest of the top 6), and I assume he would be focusing more on offence and less on defence.

With Markie and Gorges gone though, he now has the responsibility of being the main offensive defenseman on the team, and by virtue of simply being paired with Gill, taking a Gorges-like shutdown D role. All the while being a 21 year-old rookie playing in the craziest hockey market in the world.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post

Plus, its not like we have a back to back situation coming up. Leafs on Thursday and then Canes on Saturday. Just play Price for both.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

DD's goal was awesome, completely psyched out lou, shows what kind of mittens the kid has. and my man-crush keeps getting bigger.

and when ak scored, i like how he just plowed through a canuck defender to push the puck further away for eller. i am sometimes just amazed how strong he is. and for the record, i don't want him traded. were gonna get **** for him and he's worth at least 20 with a giant upside if he gets out of his emo zone. and he's the team leader in hits so that's something

good game and DD for prez!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote