HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Florentino Ariza

vCash: 500
Benn was their best player last night

Old
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Did anyone find this quote by Shero as hilarious as me?

"asked if Neal is a serious upgrade to the Penguins' collection of wingers, he responded, "Oh God, yes ..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11053...#ixzz1EngadcN1

That's like asking if Halle Berry is a serious upgrade over Bea Arthur.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Don't forget Glennie next year.
Doubt Glennie will be there next year.....pretty much everyone expects him to need a year in the AHL.

I personally think Richards ends up staying just on a hunch....I think he wants to and if they can get it done monetarily, it'll happen.

Plus I just want him away from the Rangers. because that could be a fairly scary offense if they get him along with bringing in Kreider and Stepan from their minors.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

"asked if Neal is a serious upgrade to the Penguins' collection of wingers, he responded, "Oh God, yes ..."

I get journalists have to sometimes ask stupid questions, but seriously? Is he an upgrade? If I were Shero I wouldn't have even qualified a response. If you're a beat writer and you can't assume Neal is a significant upgrade without Shero verbally saying it...you need to find a new profession.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Sideline

Quote:

I actually laughed out loud. He definitely feels our Dupuis related pain.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I get journalists have to sometimes ask stupid questions, but seriously? Is he an upgrade? If I were Shero I wouldn't have even qualified a response. If you're a beat writer and you can't assume Neal is a significant upgrade without Shero verbally saying it...you need to find a new profession.
Well on the flipside if he didn't ask, we wouldn't of gotten an answer like that.

I thought Shero would of been more PC with his answer... but I guess it is hard not to react like that when your wingers are so offensively retarded.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Well on the flipside if he didn't ask, we wouldn't of gotten an answer like that.

I thought Shero would of been more PC with his answer... but I guess it is hard not to react like that when your wingers are so offensively retarded.
This was my exact thought too....for him to come out and just say: Oh God yes is just hilarious to me.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM
cassius

With the additional of Neal, I feel pretty good about our winger situation for the first time in a WHILE.

It's great to see Shero finally address our scoring issues on the wing. In a lot of ways, the Crosby and Malkin injuries probably forced Shero's hands to make a move. I don't think he realized how bad our secondary scoring options were until he was subjected to watching all of these brutal games.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I offered Gogo, Kulemin and 3 first round picks for just Neal and the mutherf**ker still said no.
That's awesome! Looks like RS really stole the show.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:

I thought this part of the article was interesting (not in the same funny way as the Shero quote, naturally):

Shero admitted it was tough for coach Dan Bylsma "to wrap his arms around" the trade. "He really likes Alex."

Also, it looks like Shero and Co. are as much in the dark about the Crosby situation as the rest of us, which is kind of troubling.

Shero said he has no "inside knowledge" about if or when Crosby returns.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
With the additional of Neal, I feel pretty good about our winger situation for the first time in a WHILE.

It's great to see Shero finally address our scoring issues on the wing. In a lot of ways, the Crosby and Malkin injuries probably forced Shero's hands to make a move. I don't think he realized how bad our secondary scoring options were until he was subjected to watching all of these brutal games.
Same.

Plus take into account the $$$ they should have available this summer to address one more top 6 wing. They should conceivably head into 2011-12 with 3 legit NHL Top 6 guys and a younger guy like Jeffrey, Tangradi or perhaps Johnson in the mix for the other spot. Add that to the center depth, top 4 defense and a top 5 goalie and that's a pretty well rounded squad.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Aud Won*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
That's priceless and in all honesty I still can't believe Dallas did this trade. I remember when we traded for Francis, Ulf and Jennings and gave up Zalapski and Cullen as the key components. I was in shock then as well. This isn't as major as the Francis deal was, but IMO this trade is a clear win for the Pens.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I thought this part of the article was interesting (not in the same funny way as the Shero quote, naturally):

Shero admitted it was tough for coach Dan Bylsma "to wrap his arms around" the trade. "He really likes Alex."

Also, it looks like Shero and Co. are as much in the dark about the Crosby situation as the rest of us, which is kind of troubling.

Shero said he has no "inside knowledge" about if or when Crosby returns.

I hope the last bit is smoke and mirrors and Shero knows more than he lets on.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I hope the last bit is smoke and mirrors and Shero knows more than he lets on.
No I think he is being straight up.

I've had concussions and there is no real timetable.

I don't think anyone knows when Crosby can play again, including his doctors.

I just hope he shuts it down until next season. The best thing you can do for a concussion is to give it as much time as possible to heal.

If he and Malkin can come back and play well by this time next season, with the addition of Neal and his cap friendly deal, the Pens will be a real force for the next several years.

They will have around 3-4m to find another top 6 winger this Summer, and all the other pieces are there. Add to that the depth on the farm and this is a great time to be a Pens fan.

So please don't rush Crosby back... it isn't worth it.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Jag68Sid87

I think Richards will be either a Ranger or a Leaf by Monday. And yes, I will eat a lot of crow if it doesn't happen...no Crawford pun intended.

Old
02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
hctopcheds11

When I was explaining to buddies who James Neal was and how good he can be. I got a lot of, don't know much about hims etc. Luckily, I've gotten to see him play due to the NHL Center Ice package. I've also seen a lot of highlights on him and needless to say, was very excited when we got him. I just read an interesting comparison for James Neal.

Hockeys future originally projected him to be similar to Shane Doan. I can see some similarities there...

Old
02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
We may have dropped a couple of rankings in defense in the East due to Goligoski's offense now gone, but we are without a doubt still in the top 10 defenses in the East.
So we've went from a top 5 defense in the league to top 10 in the East? That would be a serious drop off.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Just to update here..

Quote:
Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
Glen Gulutzan just confirms that Alex Goligoski is a healthy scratch tonight.
So yeah, we got a 40 goal scorer for a player that's now a healthy scratch.

Closed Thread