HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

Old
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
2Claude2Giroux

vCash: 500
ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kolay-zherdev/

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. - Nikolay Zherdev walked down the hallway at the Flyers practice facility with a smile on his face, talking on his cell phone. He avoided reporters, left out the back door and stepped into a Lincoln Town car that then drove away from the building.

Zherdev’s time with the Flyers is almost certainly over, as he was placed on waivers Wednesday.

“His agent and Nik, they’re obviously not happy with the situation here,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “They’d asked us to look around for options. Nothing really came of that through trades, so we’ll see what happens with this.”

Coach Peter Laviolette said he wasn’t a fit with the lineup the Flyers were putting out there. Holmgren agreed.

Holmgren said no teams have told him they would claim him on waivers; he also didn’t know if Zherdev would go to Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League if he clears. If he does make it through waivers, the Flyers could assign him to the Adirondack Phantoms. If Zherdev elected not to report, the team could suspend him and not have to pay him his $2 million salary.
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CGY puts Ales Kotalik on re-entry waivers, BUF puts Craig Rivet on waivers, PHI puts Nik Zherdev on waivers, NSH puts on Marek Svatos.

welp

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
MsWoof

Tells me they tried to trade him but there were no takers. Have fun with leighton, Nik!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:23 AM
2Claude2Giroux

I'm thinking he'll clear, then the Flyers will put him on re-entry waivers and someone will definitely pick him up at $1M.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
BWAVgal
The Mockingjay lives

I get his defensive shortcomings but come on. The guy has 15 goals. And Shelley gets to play over him. That's just stupid to me.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I'm thinking he'll clear, then the Flyers will put him on re-entry waivers and someone will definitely pick him up at $1M.
There is no way on God's green earth they should put him on re-entry. If he doesn't get claimed, stick him in the AHL and let the clock expire on his contract. We need that cap space to avoid rollover bonuses next year (or as much of them as we can avoid).

I actually suspect someone will grab him... probably one of the fringe playoff teams that need some cheap, low-risk scoring help.

And, yes, the fact that no one was willing to give up a low draft pick is a strong indication of league opinion on Zherdev's value.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
He is not going to report, no way. And even less of a chance that they ever recall him.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wils98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
I get his defensive shortcomings but come on. The guy has 15 goals. And Shelley gets to play over him. That's just stupid to me.
There is probably some off-ice issues that we just dont know. There is more to the story for sure.

Wils98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
I think Shelley needs to be benched come playoff time, but Shelley and Z aren't really competing for the same minutes. Z needs to be in a scoring role to have any impact, not on the 4th line.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:27 AM
DUHockey9

I would think someone would grab him.

And why would we put him on re-entry waivers? Let him rot in the minors for the full cap relief. It's not as if we can't afford to pay him.

Edit: forgot "not" which totally butchered my point haha

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I'd think that someone will claim Zherdev.

It's too bad he didn't buy in to Lavi's expectations; the skill is certainly there.

Cartsiephan*

Quote:
This is not meant to be a negative comment, but have you followed hockey for long?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
My guess is if no one claims him (now or on re-entry), he bails and goes to Russia. I doubt we see him suit up for ADK.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

no chance he clears. a beat up team like pittsburgh or NYR is gonna be all over this. i will super facepalm if this comes back to bite us in the ass.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He is not going to report, no way. And even less of a chance that they ever recall him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I would think someone would grab him.

And why would we put him on re-entry waivers? Let him rot in the minors for the full cap relief. It's as if we can't afford to pay him.
Agreed with both of you.

Nik doesn't seem the type of guy that will go to the AHL and play. If he did, I'm sure he would be even less motivated and interested in the team than he seemed to be here. I think his failure to be around when they needed him Sunday was the final nail in the coffin.

If he's not claimed (which could happen), would the Flyers just let him go play in Europe?

Either way, there's no way he should ever get recalled. If we're gonna send him down, just take the cap relief for bonuses...

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
DUHockey9

Again I ask, why are people even mentioning re-entry? What possible reason would we have for placing him on re-entry?

Old
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
PPPower

Can someone please explain to me the point of waiving Z, are we really trying to acquire another player by the trade deadline? That would be the only reason I can think of to do it. I say just let him sit as he is unless we end up needing him due to injuries, we are under cap w/ him... Who could we be looking to pick up now?

PPPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
no chance he clears. a beat up team like pittsburgh or NYR is gonna be all over this. i will super facepalm if this comes back to bite us in the ass.
I'll be shocked if he gets to Pittsburgh... would be relatively shocked if he got to NYR. You have a bunch of teams just outside the playoff picture right now that could use some more scoring, Z makes a lot of sense for them.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So of all the offseason acquisitions/signings we're left with just Shelley on the roster...resounding success I would say

Leighton= FAIL/FAILURE

Walker = FAIL/FAILURE

Zherdev= FAIL/FAILURE

Shelley = CUSP

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
2Claude2Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Again I ask, why are people even mentioning re-entry? What possible reason would we have for placing him on re-entry?
I didn't even really think of him not reporting for some reason.

I just thought maybe they would have to call him back up if they really needed to.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
Can someone please explain to me the point of waiving Z, are we really trying to acquire another player by the trade deadline? That would be the only reason I can think of to do it. I say just let him sit as he is unless we end up needing him due to injuries, we are under cap w/ him... Who could we be looking to pick up now?
Well, if he clears we can use the extra cap relief this year to soak up bonuses so they don't spill into next year's cap space.

It may not be about acquiring another player (and probably isn't).

Also, with his disappearing act Sunday, Holmgren's reported chewing out of his agent, and the fact that he's never around the team off the ice, it seems like he's not getting along well with anybody, so maybe he's just a distraction that Homer is getting rid of.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
1) We are going to need the cap space to afford bonuses to Bob (and JVR potentially).

2) We may need the space to get a D up to fill in for Bart, we'd have to look into that.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
He's basically worthless to us in that he pots some goals doing his own thing from time to time but doesn't do anything else. Lavi won't play someone that doesn't buy into the team.

That said, getting the cap relief is a big plus for this team. For one, they COULD go acquire another piece if they wanted to, but honestly I don't expect it. The bigger reason is that this will clear $2 million (in annual cap dollars) which can then be used towards paying bonuses (JVR, Bob, OD) THIS year rather than having to roll them over into next year, and essentially playing with a slightly reduced cap (this is what happened to Chicago that caused them to have to dump so many guys). So if we can prevent an extra million or so from hitting us next year it is huge because Giroux and Carter are getting raises, we now have Versteeg making 3 million on this team, and we need to sign Leino. The savings from Z can go a long way in accomplishing that.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
So of all the offseason acquisitions/signings we're left with just Shelley on the roster...resounding success I would say

Leighton= FAIL/FAILURE

Walker = FAIL/FAILURE

Zherdev= FAIL/FAILURE

Shelley = CUSP
Well Mez and OD were good but still 4/6 failure rate is horrible

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 11:36 AM
2Claude2Giroux

I'm just wondering why they didn't wait until after Monday to waive him. But maybe the rule about being playoff eligible means that you have to be a member of the team on Monday and not any day afterwards? Not really sure.

If they pushed as hard as possible to trade him on Deadline Day and didn't get anything, then they could just have waived him.

Old
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I dont think people understand that a player who has no motivation to play at all, and is constantly scratched IS NOT a good player to have waiting in the wings when someone gets hurt.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote