HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

Old
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Well, if he clears we can use the extra cap relief this year to soak up bonuses so they don't spill into next year's cap space.

It may not be about acquiring another player (and probably isn't).

Also, with his disappearing act Sunday, Holmgren's reported chewing out of his agent, and the fact that he's never around the team off the ice, it seems like he's not getting along well with anybody, so maybe he's just a distraction that Homer is getting rid of.
I just hope this is the last player we get that we try to reform. The Flyers halfway house needs to be shut down. Another stupid experiment that leaves us with nothing other than a distraction and 15 token goals...Thanks Zherdev now go eff yourself you lazy piece o crap. I'm also glad I won't be seeing posts about why isn't playing and how great he is. It was obvious this guy did not fit in...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I'm just wondering why they didn't wait until after Monday to waive him. But maybe the rule about being playoff eligible means that you have to be a member of the team on Monday and not any day afterwards? Not really sure.

If they pushed as hard as possible to trade him on Deadline Day and didn't get anything, then they could just have waived him.
As said, we may need the space in order to fill out our roster with 6 D for the next game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
PPPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I just hope this is the last player we get that we try to reform. The Flyers halfway house needs to be shut down. Another stupid experiment that leaves us with nothing other than a distraction and 15 token goals...Thanks Zherdev now go eff yourself you lazy piece o crap. I'm also glad I won't be seeing posts about why isn't playing and how great he is. It was obvious this guy did not fit in...
things were going well with Emery though...... btw congrats to him getting called up

PPPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well Mez and OD were good but still 4/6 failure rate is horrible
True ....could have been better no doubt. Another lesson learned luckily we still maintained good depth but man we spent too much money on those tards.....

Old
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

The chances of Zherdev not getting claimed are somewhere around 0%.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
PPPower

although I also thought for sure we could get a third rounder for him

PPPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
He's basically worthless to us in that he pots some goals doing his own thing from time to time but doesn't do anything else. Lavi won't play someone that doesn't buy into the team.

That said, getting the cap relief is a big plus for this team. For one, they COULD go acquire another piece if they wanted to, but honestly I don't expect it. The bigger reason is that this will clear $2 million (in annual cap dollars) which can then be used towards paying bonuses (JVR, Bob, OD) THIS year rather than having to roll them over into next year, and essentially playing with a slightly reduced cap (this is what happened to Chicago that caused them to have to dump so many guys). So if we can prevent an extra million or so from hitting us next year it is huge because Giroux and Carter are getting raises, we now have Versteeg making 3 million on this team, and we need to sign Leino. The savings from Z can go a long way in accomplishing that.
I think Holmgren might trade somebody like Carcillo and now go for another depth D man..we shall see

Old
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I think Holmgren might trade somebody like Carcillo and now go for another depth D man..we shall see
The problem with dealing Carcillo right now is that we have a bit of a body count problem at the moment. Betts shouldn't be long term, but I suspect Shelley may miss a game or two...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Well, if he clears we can use the extra cap relief this year to soak up bonuses so they don't spill into next year's cap space.

It may not be about acquiring another player (and probably isn't).

Also, with his disappearing act Sunday, Holmgren's reported chewing out of his agent, and the fact that he's never around the team off the ice, it seems like he's not getting along well with anybody, so maybe he's just a distraction that Homer is getting rid of.
This is really all that makes sense. I just can't see Laviolette intentionally overlooking Zherdev, at the potential expense of the team, for some meagre transgression. I get it about being too me-first in his play, but there were sparks of actually playing without the puck. It's a shame but a minor blip on the radar given the team's success this season to date. Luckily, of Holmgren's off-season missteps, the most important positionally (goaltending) fixed itself.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
This, he is getting claimed FOR SURE !!
They should of been playing him top PP for last few games, hopefully scoring a few goals and then trading for late pick. ****ing brutal asset mgmt by Homer and Lavy. Pitts takes him for sure if he gets to him.

Zherdev-Crosby-Neal

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The problem with dealing Carcillo right now is that we have a bit of a body count problem at the moment. Betts shouldn't be long term, but I suspect Shelley may miss a game or two...
Wellwood?

Old
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPower View Post
although I also thought for sure we could get a third rounder for him
I had thought a 4th or 5th but apparently the interest just isn't there.

A blogger for broadstreethockey.com had said that we could get "at least" a 2nd rounder just last week. LAWL. Sometimes I really wonder how bloggers get readers.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Excepted this. Not surprised.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
This is really all that makes sense. I just can't see Laviolette intentionally overlooking Zherdev, at the potential expense of the team, for some meagre transgression. I get it about being too me-first in his play, but there were sparks of actually playing without the puck. It's a shame but a minor blip on the radar given the team's success this season to date. Luckily, of Holmgren's off-season missteps, the most important positionally (goaltending) fixed itself.
Zherdev, at this point is just a big old "meh." The talent is nice. The 15 goals are some icing on the cake that is our amazingly solid offense. This team doesn't need Zherdev. At all.

Would he have been a nice wild card? Sure. But at this point it's obvious that he's not fitting in. I don't think his haunting the press box is just about refusing to play D...I have to assume at this point that he's really not doing anything he should be to earn playing time, not fitting into the locker room, and becoming an issue.

Besides - as sacryed mentioned - a player who's unmotivated, been scratched for a while, lazy, enigmatic, and moody usually isn't the guy who's ready and raring to go when a roster spot DOES open up.

In the case of Zherdev, he couldn't even be found when such an opportunity presented itself.

Hopefully we wash our hands of this (and future) reclamation projects.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
They should of been playing him top PP for last few games, hopefully scoring a few goals and then trading for late pick. ****ing brutal asset mgmt by Homer and Lavy. Pitts takes him for sure if he gets to him.

Zherdev-Crosby-Neal
On the surface, this seems like an appropriate asset-management approach. It's the potential behind-the-scenes stuff that has me thinking that, in Holmgren and Laviolette's minds, showcasing Zherdev would have had a more negative effect on the team than the return of a 3rd/4th rounder could have compensated for.

Old
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I had thought a 4th or 5th but apparently the interest just isn't there.
A blogger for broadstreethockey.com had said that we could get "at least" a 2nd rounder just last week. LAWL. Sometimes I really wonder how bloggers get readers.
Disagree,

If he was playing, we 100% could get something for him ~

Old
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Disagree,

But I didn't say that. I said the interest isn't there; and it isn't for the situation we've been in. He hasn't been playing because he's been, in a word, whiny; subsequently there's no interest. Whether or not there would be more if he were playing is altogether different.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Disagree,

There is absolutely no way of knowing that, and I really kind of doubt it.

He has 15 goals in a limited role. The entire NHL knows his capability. The entire NHL also knows he is unreliable and tough to fit into the locker room.

People know who Nik Zherdev is. Being "showcased" for the last week or two would probably not have changed that.

A guy like him isn't going to make a team a contender, and anyone who really wants him knows they could just wait until he got waived or became a free agent.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Zherdev-Crosby-Neal
Well if a rival picks him up I can see him haunting us possibly...but it is what it is..the guy was just a square peg in a round hole here...

Old
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
PhillyCurt12

clearing up room for another deal?

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Didnt Homer just say like 2 days ago Zherdev was here to stay for the rest of the season? I know Bartulis just got hurt, but still... you really cant beleive anything he says

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
bennysflyers16

If he gets claimed, that tells me someone is interested and would of gave a late pick , maybe not. If he does get claimed, do they say how many claims were put in, that would answer our interest questions ??

Old
02-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I think he will go unclaimed! Zherdev is lazy and doesn't use his gifted skills like he should. I don't think a team will take a flyer on him.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
clearing up room for another deal?

If not, this is pretty painful. We just threw a great set of hands to anyone who needs them. These hands could come back to haunt us.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Thank God, get that lazy ******* away from our team.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote