HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

Old
02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wils98 View Post
There is probably some off-ice issues that we just dont know. There is more to the story for sure.
I think we all know EXACTLY what the issue was.
Lazy
Not a team guy
bad for chemistry

It's not a coincidence that he's following the same path he's been on the past few years.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If he gets claimed, that tells me someone is interested and would of gave a late pick , maybe not. If he does get claimed, do they say how many claims were put in, that would answer our interest questions ??
If Holmgren didn't call around to see if we could get something for him... then that's pure incompetence. There's a difference between being interested in a guy on waivers, and being interested in a guy where you have to give up something to get him.

And, no, don't believe you find out how many claims were put in unless someone leaks that information (which happens, but not necessarily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
I think he will go unclaimed! Zherdev is lazy and doesn't use his gifted skills like he should. I don't think a team will take a flyer on him.
He's on an expiring contract and could provide some scoring punch to a team that needs it. Low risk investment with potential reward this season... if no one claims him, then that's a HUGE indictment of Zherderv's play and all the people that have been arguing that what Lavy was doing was criminal all year need to post a collective apology to the rest of us.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
kicksave27

So I guess Homer's getting another vet. Dman. Hopefully one in the last year of his contract, or a reasonable hit to replace OD next year.

And we get to see either carcillo or shelley take a regular shift in the playoffs

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
If he gets claimed, that tells me someone is interested and would of gave a late pick , maybe not. If he does get claimed, do they say how many claims were put in, that would answer our interest questions ??
There is a HUGE difference between trading an asset for a player of questionable value and picking him up for free.

If you can't understand that, I just don't know what to say. Even a late-round pick can be a useful player (ask Detroit).

Zherdev for free on waivers > Zherdev for a draft pick (of any kind).

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
So of all the offseason acquisitions/signings we're left with just Shelley on the roster...resounding success I would say

Leighton= FAIL/FAILURE

Walker = FAIL/FAILURE

Zherdev= FAIL/FAILURE

Shelley = CUSP
O'Donnell?
Mezarros?
Bob? (or was that last year?)

Old
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
If not, this is pretty painful. We just threw a great set of hands to anyone who needs them. These hands could come back to haunt us.
Seriously, we may need the cap space to field a 20 man roster for the next game. That's the type of problems you have when you operate right against the cap.

Old
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I don't mind this at all.
I liked the signing, he scored some goals etc, but it didn't work out. It happens, it was a reasonable contract etc.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Terence Peterman

Never really fit in here anyway.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
O'Donnell?
Mezarros?
Bob was signed during the playoffs I believe... but he's a different animal than these others.

Old
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think a team like NSH or DAL might take him. DAL could use the offense since they ditched Neal and NSH always seems to make something out of nothing. Frankly I hope he goes to PIT or NYR because unless he changes (which I doubt he will) he is only going to hurt the team he goes to.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
O'Donnell?
Mezarros?
You're correct in pointing these out, as someone did before. The comment was corrected in saying Homer was wrong in 4/6.

Bob shouldn't be included because he was a prospect signing and not expected to be the greater half of a goaltending duo this year. It was a prospect signing for the future just as Testwuide and Gustaffson were. (In no way does this mean I'm not giving Homer credit for this signing. It's just not apples to apples regarding the intention of the signing.)

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
hopefully the Isles or someone useless grab him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
There is a HUGE difference between trading an asset for a player of questionable value and picking him up for free.

If you can't understand that, I just don't know what to say. Even a late-round pick can be a useful player (ask Detroit).

Zherdev for free on waivers > Zherdev for a draft pick (of any kind).

Only one team gets him on waivers. If you're sitting 7th on the priority it's worth your while to sacrafice the late project pick.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
O'Donnell?
Mezarros?
Somebody already pointed that out...I acknowledged it. Doesn't change the fact we squandered millions on 4 of 6 of the signing and acquisitions. Not a good percentage. Bob was a wild card and Holmgren's get out of jail free card. He has one every year. Luckily he's panned out thus far and exceeded expectations. I still would have liked to use all that money we wasted on the 4 for a vet goalie but I guess we'll see what Bob and Boosh can do...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Peace out.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Agreed with both of you.

Nik doesn't seem the type of guy that will go to the AHL and play. If he did, I'm sure he would be even less motivated and interested in the team than he seemed to be here. I think his failure to be around when they needed him Sunday was the final nail in the coffin.

If he's not claimed (which could happen), would the Flyers just let him go play in Europe?

Either way, there's no way he should ever get recalled. If we're gonna send him down, just take the cap relief for bonuses...
I think someone will claim him, but a leopard does not change his spots and it will have to be a coach who is willing to let him freelance a bit. His resume is not going to treat him well with coaches who are competing to get guys to buy-in on a team philosophy. I could see NJ Lou jumping in to get him and play him with Kovalchuk, I mean what does he have to lose?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Seriously, we may need the cap space to field a 20 man roster for the next game. That's the type of problems you have when you operate right against the cap.

Huh? The only way I consider this a good move is if we're bringing someone else in. All the debate in the world won't change this for me. Most very good teams operate right against the cap. Doesn't make this move any smarter if Zherdev lights us up for the Pens, Habs, Bruins etc in the Playoffs.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

say what you will about Shelley's overpayment, the team loves him and he's a great locker-room guy
Not that that matters...

Old
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Somebody already pointed that out...I acknowledged it. Doesn't change the fact we squandered millions on 4 of 6 of the signing and acquisitions. Not a good percentage. Bob was a wild card and Holmgren's get out of jail free card. He has one every year. Luckily he's panned out thus far and exceeded expectations. I still would have liked to use all that money we wasted on the 4 for a vet goalie but I guess we'll see what Bob and Boosh can do...
Of the off-season busts, Zherdev (IMHO) is the only legitimate failure from a purely on-ice POV, because he had the opportunity to succeed in the role for which he was signed and didn't deliver. Leighton and Walker went down due to injuries, and Walker's acquisition was way secondary to shedding Gagné's salary. Shelley has done what he was signed to do, to a degree: he has been a good soldier and dropped the gloves, though few have been wins and the suspensions have not been on the plus side of his ledger.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Huh? The only way I consider this a good move is if we're bringing someone else in. All the debate in the world won't change this for me. Most very good teams operate right against the cap. Doesn't make this move any smarter if Zherdev lights us up for the Pens, Habs, Bruins etc in the Playoffs.
If OD isn't ready to go in the next game, and Bartulis isn't... and neither are guys we want to put on LTIR with their respective injuries, then we only have 5 D we can dress, and not a lot of cap room. On top of that Betts and Shelley may be out for the next game.

Looking ahead, we needed to shed someone ASAP in order to avoid as much of a cap penalty as possible heading into next year.

Old
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1150
Supposedly, the agent requested waivers.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Zherdev declines to talk. Gets in Lincoln town car and off he goes. He was smiling. Hollmgren says agent wanted Z waived
Haha

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
What a ****ing ******

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

That shows you his character.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
So being unable to even field a full team in the now isn't important? I'd rather have the flexibility of being able to call someone up (so we can dress 20 guys) and then send him down for the cap savings (which can be used for bonus money, and therefore alleviate cap pressure next year) when people get healthy again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Of the off-season busts, Zherdev (IMHO) is the only legitimate failure from a purely on-ice POV, because he had the opportunity to succeed in the role for which he was signed and didn't deliver. Leighton and Walker went down due to injuries, and Walker's acquisition was way secondary to shedding Gagné's salary. Shelley has done what he was signed to do, to a degree: he has been a good soldier and dropped the gloves, though few have been wins and the suspensions have not been on the plus side of his ledger.
I can agree here to some extent. Zherdev's "failure" is quite different from Leighton, Walker, and Shelley. Zherdev I was actually fine with from a signing perspective. Low risk signing, and it was an on ice failure. The other 3 were just generic failures that shouldn't have even happened in the first place. But this is an old debate that many people differ on.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote