HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ZHERDEV clears waivers, remains on Flyers' roster (Thursday, Feb. 24)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #101
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We'll see. Apparently OD won't be out long, and Bart may not be out long either. However, I'd rather have someone better than a recovering Bartulis.
Knowing Homer Bartulis is out for 1-2 months.

You can't take anything he says serious.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #102
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Knowing Homer Bartulis is out for 1-2 months.

You can't take anything he says serious.
He may already be dead.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #103
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
We will grab a depth defenseman.

There isn't a choice.
How do you figure?

OD was practicing today. If he can play we have 6 D. Bartulis is likely out for a while, but will be back. They may very well be totally comfortable with an AHL callup being the 7th guy until Bartulis is back.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they do jump on a nice depth defenseman if the price is right, but they don't have to at all. They now have the space to call up an AHL guy to be the 6th or 7th guy.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #104
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,728
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
There were also two noises reported to be heard: the woosh of the car speeding away, and the ****** that followed Zherdev as stink lines in a comic book.
Plenty of people have had smiles on their faces in limos.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
  #105
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
With Bartulis hurt, and now Walker out for a long time, I see us grabbing a 6/7th d-man for the playoff ride.
I think they were always looking for a cheap vet Dman, it just depended if there was a buyer for Zherdev or not. Z needed to go, Bartulis' injury just speeded up the process of waiving Z by a few days.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
  #106
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We'll see. Apparently OD won't be out long, and Bart may not be out long either. However, I'd rather have someone better than a recovering Bartulis.
Bartulis is starting to remind me of Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Jiri Latel and all the other goofy lookin D men that had potential but just never panned out for whatever reason..not all their fault. Last night he looked like a rag doll...and last year in the playoffs a ragged one!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
  #107
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Bart looked rusty, but he wasn't bad. Bailed Meszaros out in the First on a big gaff

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
  #108
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
This is incredibly annoying. Z was SMILING and basically ran away from the Flyers? I don't get it. I loved watching the guy play, I can only just sit here and wonder what the **** his problem is. Now I absolutely hate him. I don't understand why he acts the way he does. Just play hard and have fun, there is not much more to being a team mate in any sport. Someone will claim him, but I don't understand why he has to act like this all the time. Obviously there are many forwards in the league with defensive problems, but if they have the offense they are there every night without a second thought from anyone about being scratched. It just going to show that the "defensive" side of things weren't why Zherdev was scratched. There is a MUCH deeper explanation to this whole thing. He must of done something. Just pisses me off how someone like him can be such a *****.

Whatever.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
  #109
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Plenty of people have had smiles on their faces in limos.
Z's pimped ride....


FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
  #110
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Bartulis is starting to remind me of Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Jiri Latel and all the other goofy lookin D men that had potential but just never panned out for whatever reason..not all their fault. Last night he looked like a rag doll...and last year in the playoffs a ragged one!
He isn't even remotely in the same class as those guys as far as skill. If he's going to make it, it's going to be as a 3rd pairing guy (maybe 2nd pairing) with a bit of a two-way game, but not much. He needs to play a much simpler game than those guys showed.

And, btw, Pitkanen is having a nice NHL career right now...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
  #111
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 40,728
vCash: 920
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kolay-zherdev/

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. - Nikolay Zherdev walked down the hallway at the Flyers practice facility with a smile on his face, talking on his cell phone. He avoided reporters, left out the back door and stepped into a Lincoln Town car that then drove away from the building.

Zherdev’s time with the Flyers is almost certainly over, as he was placed on waivers Wednesday.

“His agent and Nik, they’re obviously not happy with the situation here,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “They’d asked us to look around for options. Nothing really came of that through trades, so we’ll see what happens with this.”

Coach Peter Laviolette said he wasn’t a fit with the lineup the Flyers were putting out there. Holmgren agreed.

Holmgren said no teams have told him they would claim him on waivers; he also didn’t know if Zherdev would go to Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League if he clears. If he does make it through waivers, the Flyers could assign him to the Adirondack Phantoms. If Zherdev elected not to report, the team could suspend him and not have to pay him his $2 million salary.

Zherdev, in brief comments right after practice, said “I do my job” and noted that he works hard to try to crack the lineup. After he was waived he decisively declined comment.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
  #112
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He isn't even remotely in the same class as those guys as far as skill. If he's going to make it, it's going to be as a 3rd pairing guy (maybe 2nd pairing) with a bit of a two-way game, but not much. He needs to play a much simpler game than those guys showed.

And, btw, Pitkanen is having a nice NHL career right now...
I'm not commenting on the skill necessarily ..I'm basically making the analogy in a tongue and cheek manner that for some reason he won't pan out here..not that he doesn't have potential like all the other ones I mentioned. And yes I'm aware Pitkanen has become a good D man who plays hard minutes..I didn't want to trade him and we got Smyth for a year and Lupul ..they were short-lived help. However, Pitkanen became goat boy on the team and it wasn't going away...I'm surprised Coburn has redeemed himself and luckily b/c he's a good D man yet people still want to trade him.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
  #113
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
If Barts doesn't pan out its because he got no playing time.

How can you expect a 24 year old defenseman to develop if he doesn't play?

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  #114
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
If Barts doesn't pan out its because he got no playing time.

How can you expect a 24 year old defenseman to develop if he doesn't play?
What do you do though? Not play O'Donnell or Meszaros who both have been very good this season? I know everyone says that OD should take a break, but if I remember correctly, one of the reasons he signed here was because Homer promised that he would play every game. In LA, he was getting scratched here and there, for the same reasons we want to scratch him.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  #115
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
If Barts doesn't pan out its because he got no playing time.

How can you expect a 24 year old defenseman to develop if he doesn't play?
Agreed but that is why I said the following....jeesh

Quote:
Bartulis is starting to remind me of Niinimaa, Pitkanen, Jiri Latel and all the other goofy lookin D men that had potential but just never panned out for whatever reason..not all their fault.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  #116
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I'm not commenting on the skill necessarily ..I'm basically making the analogy in a tongue and cheek manner that for some reason he won't pan out here..not that he doesn't have potential like all the other ones I mentioned. And yes I'm aware Pitkanen has become a good D man who plays hard minutes..I didn't want to trade him and we got Smyth for a year and Lupul ..they were short-lived help. However, Pitkanen became goat boy on the team and it wasn't going away...I'm surprised Coburn has redeemed himself and luckily b/c he's a good D man yet people still want to trade him.
Right, but Bartulis is fringe at best, so it's not really fair to him... Pitkanen/Niinima, they had the skill to play in this league. Bartulis may not (which is why him getting so little PT this year, is just killing him developmentally I fear).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
  #117
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Right, but Bartulis is fringe at best, so it's not really fair to him... Pitkanen/Niinima, they had the skill to play in this league. Bartulis may not (which is why him getting so little PT this year, is just killing him developmentally I fear).
I agree he's been effed over all year...I feel bad for the guy

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
  #118
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,655
vCash: 500
He hasn't been screwed over. He is the least skilled of the defensemen, so he doesn't play. It's just a simple fact of life.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
  #119
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He hasn't been screwed over. He is the least skilled of the defensemen, so he doesn't play. It's just a simple fact of life.
The Flyers could have dealt him to a team where he would have gotten ice time. What they did was sign him to an extension last year, and then swoop in and bring in two D ahead of him. That's fine for the Flyers, but that's a raw deal for Bartulis.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
  #120
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Right, but Bartulis is fringe at best, so it's not really fair to him... Pitkanen/Niinima, they had the skill to play in this league. Bartulis may not (which is why him getting so little PT this year, is just killing him developmentally I fear).
He has the skill but he's on the cusp right now and can't get over the hump b/c we're in a win now mode so he's been marginalized developmentally...sux for him and could suck for us in the long run if he's a decent 3rd pairing D man

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
  #121
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He hasn't been screwed over. He is the least skilled of the defensemen, so he doesn't play. It's just a simple fact of life.
Incorrect: he was screwed over by the one-way contract and misunderstanding of Homer & co. regarding his eligibility.

He could at least have been playing in the AHL and getting some game situations to work on improving his game, even though I think he's beyond that stage.

I hope we find room for him moving forward, I think he's going to be a solid 4-6 (likely 5 or 6), and most likely perpetually cheap. D-men like that are valuable in their own way.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
  #122
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What do you do though? Not play O'Donnell or Meszaros who both have been very good this season? I know everyone says that OD should take a break, but if I remember correctly, one of the reasons he signed here was because Homer promised that he would play every game. In LA, he was getting scratched here and there, for the same reasons we want to scratch him.
He is the least skilled D-man on the roster. Plus this team is in a win now mode. Not develop the younger players mode. Barts is just depth. Which is unfortunate for a young player because they need playing time.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
  #123
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
He has the skill but he's on the cusp right now and can't get over the hump b/c we're in a win now mode so he's been marginalized developmentally...sux for him and could suck for us in the long run if he's a decent 3rd pairing D man
I don't know, he strikes me as, at best, a #4... far more likely to be a 5-6 guy or worse. Would have been nice to see him get some more ice time in the beginning of this season and see if we could figure out what we had.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
  #124
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Incorrect: he was screwed over by the one-way contract and misunderstanding of Homer & co. regarding his eligibility.

He could at least have been playing in the AHL and getting some game situations to work on improving his game, even though I think he's beyond that stage.

I hope we find room for him moving forward, I think he's going to be a solid 4-6 (likely 5 or 6), and most likely perpetually cheap. D-men like that are valuable in their own way.
One-way contract isn't a factor in his waiver eligibility... Homer not understanding his waiver eligibility WAS a big deal, though.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
  #125
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,965
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Do people realize that if Bob hadn't exceeded expectations and now to some extent Boosh..that the gambles on all 4 of those guys would not have gone down very well at all given the money that was spent and cap space tied up....Holmgren has to be thankful the majority of his moves unravelling for whatever reason has been contained but it hasn't been without impact either and we still have to see what happens in the playoffs where things ultimately matter....
I love this type of criticism. Homer deserves no credit for everything and all the blame for everything (even things that are of no issue). He gets no credit for turning around the team because when he took over he "had all the pieces" and the moves he made "were obvious." Now he makes moves and he gets no credit because he got "lucky." I guess that makes sense. Results don't matter, only if he makes deals that make sense to you will he be a quality GM.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.