HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray -

Old
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Souray -

Since he is on recall waivers. Do you think the Blues should put in a claim? He would be at 1/2 salary for next season or 2.75 million.

Personally, I hate our 3rd pairing of Shattenkirk and Cola. I like what Shattenkirk brings to the table, but would rather have him partnered with someone who is better in his own end.

I think Souray is an upgrade over Cola and would rather have him on our 3rd pairing.

Anyone else have any thoughts.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:51 PM
SteenMachine

If Cola can't make Shattenkirk's pairing balanced defensively Souray sure wouldn't help. He's also a shooter, it would be redundant to put them together because Souray's skill set beyond that isn't any better than Cola he's just way bigger and doesn't take nasty hits he gives them out... then takes a bad penalty for it.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:51 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I would not be shocked to see the blues grab

cap hit is 2.7--but actaul pay is 2.25

with brewer and johnson gone--they maybe able to use him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:52 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
My thought process was exactly the same. We are in a mindmeld right now Frenzy.

I think we should put in a claim for him. Definitely worth it at 2.75. Plus he is a left handed shot. Shattenkirk/Petro-Souray... that's one helluva PP pairing.

DrVanntastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Frenzy1

He would give us a big shot from the point - something we really have not had since Al Mac.

Old
02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
SteenMachine

He's also really slowed down in the skating department and wasn't that fast at the NHL level to begin with.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Doubtful since he is still fairly expensive and he really isnt much much of an improvement over Cola/Nikitin (at least in productivity) at this point in his career. He still has a rocket shot, but mot much else. Also, despite the net loss of 1 defenseman, we still have capable defensemen not playing in Strachan and Cole (injured, but hopefully back at some point).

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
He's also really slowed down in the skating department and wasn't that fast at the NHL level to begin with.
Agreed. I say "pass" on Souray. He's no major upgrade over Colaiacovo, and Colaiacovo is younger.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:58 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm really worried about the behind the scenes stuff in Edmonton. The fact that he couldn't contribute to that team on the ice....for whatever reason, that just smells like something I want no part of.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 06:32 AM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Not a fan of Souray's game at all, and certainly not willing to pay half his current contract to obtain it.

This team already has all the PP "tools" it needs to be successful...it just needs to hone their use.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 07:22 AM
execwrite

Sou-ray? No way.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Frenzy1

I disagree with some of you guys on this. I just am not a big fan of Cola. I think his d play in our zone poor and Shattenkirk has a lot of work to do in D zone coverage.

Souray is a king in the dzone, but he isn't a smuck either. He is much better the Cola, IMO and a lefty. Which is important. He also brings experience to the table.

I would rather have him and his cap hit and $$ would work just fine at half price. (Which is more then they paid Carlo, but not that much more - about 500K).

Plus Carlo has some value and we could move him. (I would also be more comfortable with someone other then Strachen ready to step in if the injury bug hit - if we kept Carlo).

With the $$ saved from trading Brewer, there is little to no reason to think the Blues don't have room to bring on Souray.

Old
02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I disagree with some of you guys on this. I just am not a big fan of Cola. I think his d play in our zone poor and Shattenkirk has a lot of work to do in D zone coverage.

Souray is a king in the dzone, but he isn't a smuck either. He is much better the Cola, IMO and a lefty. Which is important. He also brings experience to the table.

I would rather have him and his cap hit and $$ would work just fine at half price. (Which is more then they paid Carlo, but not that much more - about 500K).

Plus Carlo has some value and we could move him. (I would also be more comfortable with someone other then Strachen ready to step in if the injury bug hit - if we kept Carlo).

With the $$ saved from trading Brewer, there is little to no reason to think the Blues don't have room to bring on Souray.
Save that money then and get something that better fills those criteria in the offseason, or try to get it via trade.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Frenzy1

Well, he cleared. Kinda shocked by that. I figured a team would try to add him for the post season. He must have been really lousy in the AHL.

Old
02-22-2011, 06:22 PM
AnAirplaneOverTheSea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Well, he cleared. Kinda shocked by that. I figured a team would try to add him for the post season. He must have been really lousy in the AHL.
Sometimes clearing waivers is the first step in a trade. If the other team has to give up a salary to take one on then they'd let him clear waivers and then trade a salaried player for him as opposed to just getting him "for free."

I think he still might get moved. I imagine they brought him up now for the specific purpose of trading him.

AnAirplaneOverTheSea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Fluffy Nuts

Several scouts have gone to Hershey games and apparently none of them had anything good to say. He broke his hand in a fight down there earlier in the season. He's a very self-centered player and would not make a good fit on the Blues. I love the Blues as my 2nd favorite team (behind the Oilers) but he would not help them anywhere near as much as he would hurt them.

The Oilers brought him up because of all the dmen that were on the move and figured they'd finally be able to get rid of him even if it means they have to pay half of his remaining salary to play for the competition.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote