HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards

Old
02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
schpaff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Sooo...signing Richards as a UFA in the summer...not so much of a longshot now? Pegula seems he wants to make a splash and there's no better way of doing that then throwing boatloads of money at the top UFA on the market. I'm thinking of when Campbell signed with the Blackhawks here- a gross overpayment in order to make a statement that the team wants to compete and be a player for free agents. Plus, since money doesn't seem to be an option it also seems to open up the possibility the Sabres could do one of those crazy long deals with the thought that they could always do a buyout or stash the guy in the minors near the end. Thoughts?
"Hockey Heaven"

schpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I think it's going to take time for the Sabres to change their rep amongst players throughout the league.

It's likely too late for a guy like Richards. But, the UFA class of 2012 and beyond.....
I think that with players, you throw them enough money and a long enough term and they'll go anywhere. I just wonder if that's something Pegula (and Regier) are willing to do.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
It would go a long way towards making Buffalo a desirable destination for UFA's if the Sabres were able to trade for Richards, or his rights, and sign him long term before the start of free agency. A big obstacle the Sabres face with recruiting UFA's is convincing them they're committed to winning. They need to get that first building block in place to show they'll do whatever it takes. The 3 main factors which influence UFA choices are money, location, and perception of the organization. Buffalo can't compete on location, but neither can Detroit.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
It would go a long way towards making Buffalo a desirable destination for UFA's if the Sabres were able to trade for Richards, or his rights, and sign him long term before the start of free agency. A big obstacle the Sabres face with recruiting UFA's is convincing them they're committed to winning. They need to get that first building block in place to show they'll do whatever it takes. The 3 main factors which influence UFA choices are money, location, and perception of the organization. Buffalo can't compete on location, but neither can Detroit.
That would help.

The trick there would be convincing Richards to waive his NTC to come here based largely on an introductory press conference.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Tra La La

I don't like the idea of trading players with concussion historys.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Sources say Dallas Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk is exploring interest in Brad Richards.

The New York Rangers are believed to be among as many as six teams who have recently discussed the star centre's potential availability.

This news doesn't mean Nieuwendyk has decided to trade Richards, who remains sidelined with concussion symptoms, but given the Stars' five-game losing skid and drop to 11th in the conference, trading Richards has become a strong possibility.

The Stars will face the Red Wings in Detroit on Thursday before hosting the Nashville Predators on Saturday.

The outcome of these two games could have significant impact on Nieuwendyk's decision.

On Tuesday, Nieuwendyk said it was "possible" Richards could resume skating in the next few days.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Whether or not Dallas actually ends up dealing Richards, Regier should be at a minimum throwing his hat in the ring and making Nieuwendyk clearly aware of the Sabres' interest - especially now that Pegula's mantra has eliminated the fears about Richards' contract costs.

Of course, Regier is proibably more likely to sit by his phone and wait for Nieuwendyk to call him and offer Richards rather than to take the initiative and make a pitch.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
According to Richards, this is the first concussion he's suffered.

Quote:
Brad Richards spoke to the media today and said that he has been frustrated while trying to deal with his concussion-like symptoms. He said he truly is day to day and is hoping to get over the common symptoms that come with a concussion. He is out for the foreseeable future, but he also could come back if he starts feeling better.

``I'm just trying to get healthy. It's the first time I've been through something like this, and it's not fun. You have your moments during the day where you think you're turning the corner, and then you have another couple of hours where things are affected. It's a process, and patience is what I'm being told is the biggest thing I have to have right now, just let Mother Nature fix itself with my brain and whatever is going on.''

When asked about what kinds of symptoms he had, Richards said:

``It's nothing crazy or out of this world. The thing that scared me to start with is the light-headedness. That's what put the red flag up. But that seems to be getting better. The obvious thing is headaches, but every day I wake up I hope that it's getting better. It definitely hasn't gotten worse.

When asked if he has talked with friends who have had concussions, he said that he had, but he added:

``It seems like the people who have them talk a lot together and try to gauge what's been going on. But that's the hard thing, everyone is different. Every person is different, every answer is different, every timetable is different. Some guys just wake up one day and it's gone, so you hope it's not too long.''
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-like-sym.html

Old
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
According to Richards, this is the first concussion he's suffered.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-like-sym.html
Each one makes the next more likely though.

I'd still take him.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:39 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
No Crosby For You!

</playernazi>

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
I bet almost all hockey players have concussion history in some fashion.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Does that mean you want to keep Connolly?

We wouldn't be trading Richards, Dallas would.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dregerreport/

Whether or not Dallas actually ends up dealing Richards, Regier should be at a minimum throwing his hat in the ring and making Nieuwendyk clearly aware of the Sabres' interest - especially now that Pegula's mantra has eliminated the fears about Richards' contract costs.

Of course, Regier is proibably more likely to sit by his phone and wait for Nieuwendyk to call him and offer Richards rather than to take the initiative and make a pitch.
Renting Richards would be stupid. You'd have to give up a ton of good assets for a few months service in return. And trading for him doesn't give the Sabres a leg up on signing him because I don't see Richards signing here under any condition. I'd love for Regier to make him a pitch after July 1, but that's no guarantee. It's going to take a couple years to make Buffalo an attractive FA destination.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
It's going to take a couple years to make Buffalo an attractive FA destination.
This is one I don't understand. I'm hearing that Terry is going to make changes to player amenities as early as the next road trip. A phone call to Richard's agent saying, "Hey guy just so you know we will have all the free popcorn you can eat installed by April and mani/pedi Tuesdays start next week. Oh and btw Buffalo has suburbs that rich people live in." I don't think that it would take much to turn it around for one or two individual UFAs...

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:03 PM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
This is one I don't understand. I'm hearing that Terry is going to make changes to player amenities as early as the next road trip. A phone call to Richard's agent saying, "Hey guy just so you know we will have all the free popcorn you can eat installed by April and mani/pedi Tuesdays start next week. Oh and btw Buffalo has suburbs that rich people live in." I don't think that it would take much to turn it around for one or two individual UFAs...
wouldn't that be tampering?

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

After we get him as a "rental", I mean. Also, I guess I am more talking about attracting UFAs in general, I don't think it will take very long for players to decide that Buffalo is a destination. Certainly not years. With Pegula as hands on in a family way as he seems to be, I can't imagine he wouldn't have Brad over for dinner or something to try to sway him...idk I know it's a dream, but I am ready for my cookie.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
wouldn't that be tampering?
Not if we get permission to negotiate an extension before we trade for him. It's happened.

And as far as amenities go the Sabres won't be here from March 1st to the 12th. On Pegula's budget they could rip out and recreate the entire locker room in that time and have a new Airbus or Boeing waiting for the team in Toronto.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Not if we get permission to negotiate an extension before we trade for him. It's happened.

And as far as amenities go the Sabres won't be here from March 1st to the 12th. On Pegula's budget they could rip out and recreate the entire locker room in that time and have a new Airbus or Boeing waiting for the team in Toronto.
But what about mani/pedi Tuesday?

Old
02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Reddawg

Is it only tampering if the front office tries to talk to Richards before his contract is up? Is there something stopping one of the players from calling him up and gauging his interest level?

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
But what about mani/pedi Tuesday?
I'm sure that could be done quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Is it only tampering if the front office tries to talk to Richards before his contract is up? Is there something stopping one of the players from calling him up and gauging his interest level?
No I don't believe so.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Renting Richards would be stupid. You'd have to give up a ton of good assets for a few months service in return. And trading for him doesn't give the Sabres a leg up on signing him because I don't see Richards signing here under any condition.
Obviously, he wouldn't be viewed as a rental. The question of him signing in Buffalo after a trade would be moot, since he'd have already waived his NTC to allow the trade in the first place.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
After we get him as a "rental", I mean. Also, I guess I am more talking about attracting UFAs in general, I don't think it will take very long for players to decide that Buffalo is a destination. Certainly not years. With Pegula as hands on in a family way as he seems to be, I can't imagine he wouldn't have Brad over for dinner or something to try to sway him...idk I know it's a dream, but I am ready for my cookie.
It's not as simple as, "Hey, Terry seems like a great guy. I want to go to Buffalo!"

UFAs want to go somewhere they can win and contribute. It takes time to build and sustain a perpetual contender that will attract high-end players.

They also want to know that you deal fairly on the business side of things. You don't become Detroit overnight.

So yeah, I think it will take a couple years for Buffalo to start to look good to topflight UFAs. I think we need to temper our expectations a bit. On July 1, Regier isn't going to sign every attractive free agent by noon and put his feet up.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

I'm just saying I have it on very good authority from someone high up in the Tampa organization that Brad has immaculate cuticles.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
MayDay

Quote:
He's pregnant?!?

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
He's pregnant?!?
Pegula knocked up (e5)

Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-325853

Quote:
Larry Brooks of the NY Post reports this morning that the New York Rangers have been told what a "good type of deal" is for Richards; in their case, a complete fleecing.

From the Post:

Quote:
The Post has learned Nieuwendyk told Rangers GM Glen Sather on Tuesday that it would cost the Blueshirts three young studs off the roster, believed to be Marc Staal(notes), Brandon Dubinsky(notes) and Derek Stepan(notes), for the privilege of renting Brad Richards.

Never mind that Richards, who has a no-move clause in his contract, has not yet been asked for a list of clubs for which he would be willing to waive it, according to agent Pat Morris in a phone conversation yesterday with The Post.
To summarize: That's the Rangers' leader in ice time, leading scorer and top rookie forward going for a rental that the Rangers can sign without giving up a player in July.
If that is accurate, I can't see the Sabres having any interest in getting Richards before the deadline.

Granted, the price could come down. But, I don't think the Sabres will give up a huge chunk of their youth for Richards.

And from the sounds of it, Dallas will want Myers in a package for Richards.

No thanks.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote