HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
  #26
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,915
vCash: 50
I also want this thread to stay as-is. Draft threads are cluttered enough even the picks themselves are getting drowned by ongoing debates.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
  #27
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Most people seem to want this to stay as is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Count me in in the ''keep this thread alive'' clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
I think we should keep it. Draft threads are piling up so much, keeping as much as possible out of them can only help. This thread has the duel benefit of a) keeping the draft thread under control, and b) letting people who want to discuss this not have their posts drowned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I also want this thread to stay as-is. Draft threads are cluttered enough even the picks themselves are getting drowned by ongoing debates.
Agreed, think of it as a precursor to the assassination thread, I like the idea.

Velociraptor is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
  #28
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,915
vCash: 50
Quote:


Dawson City Nuggets






Michel Goulet-Gilbert Perreault-Mike Bossy
________-________-Dino Ciccarelli
________-________-Jere Lehtinen
________-________-________

Frantisek Pospisil-Cy Wentworth
________-________
________-________

Clint Benedict
________
Think I'm set on RW for a while, time to build the rest of my team. I'm thinking 2nd line C should be next, unless a gem at LW is spotted.

Or should I focus more on padding my blueline, which is more or less average at the moment?

Modo is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
  #29
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
I think about my own blueline, where I have only 2 defensemen and think I'm behind, but then I realize how many other teams still only have 2 D. I think there are some teams that only have 1 even. It's kinda funny how 40 teams affects things. I think you're fine on the blueline for now, but another one with your next pick may not be a terrible idea, just so you don't fall too far behind.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
  #30
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Think I'm set on RW for a while, time to build the rest of my team. I'm thinking 2nd line C should be next, unless a gem at LW is spotted.

Or should I focus more on padding my blueline, which is more or less average at the moment?
BPA unless it's RW or goal. No need to rush any position yet.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
  #31
hungryhungryhippy
Registered User
 
hungryhungryhippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
BPA unless it's RW or goal. No need to rush any position yet.
Are you saying that exclusively in reference to his team, or as a general comment on team-building philosophy in this draft? I've been keeping a curious eye on your team and they way you're building it, so the comment piqued my interest.

hungryhungryhippy is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 08:33 PM
  #32
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
Are you saying that exclusively in reference to his team, or as a general comment on team-building philosophy in this draft? I've been keeping a curious eye on your team and they way you're building it, so the comment piqued my interest.
Specifically to this circumstance. That said, it is also my general philosophy. I always intend with my 4 picks in the late 2nd/early 3rd to come away with two defencemen, but because of how other people picked, the gap between the best forwards and the best defencemen was just too great, so I went with four forwards. But then with my 4th and 5th rounders, I clearly needed defencemen, so I bit the bullet and went that route, irregardless of who there was. Johnson was good value, but Zubov was not as good, but I felt that if I didn't take him, the only way to get a true PPQB was to go with a specialist. So, I guess my strategy is to try to get the best player, but, I have biases to needs and overall goals.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 08:48 PM
  #33
hungryhungryhippy
Registered User
 
hungryhungryhippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Specifically to this circumstance. That said, it is also my general philosophy. I always intend with my 4 picks in the late 2nd/early 3rd to come away with two defencemen, but because of how other people picked, the gap between the best forwards and the best defencemen was just too great, so I went with four forwards. But then with my 4th and 5th rounders, I clearly needed defencemen, so I bit the bullet and went that route, irregardless of who there was. Johnson was good value, but Zubov was not as good, but I felt that if I didn't take him, the only way to get a true PPQB was to go with a specialist. So, I guess my strategy is to try to get the best player, but, I have biases to needs and overall goals.
Interesting... that's almost exactly how I figured your response was going to be though, haha.

Keep it up, you build good teams with lots of unique character.

hungryhungryhippy is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
  #34
Leafs Forever
Registered User
 
Leafs Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Think I'm set on RW for a while, time to build the rest of my team. I'm thinking 2nd line C should be next, unless a gem at LW is spotted.

Or should I focus more on padding my blueline, which is more or less average at the moment?
I think I agree with Nalyd on the BPA position now. You've got five forwards and two defensemen; theoretically it's good to keep around a 2:1 ratio of them if you want to stay balanced. I'd take whatever position you like on the board most, then go the other direction with your next pick after. All IMO of course. (and not really necessary in your shoes)
----------------------------------------------


Side comment- I think it would be a good idea for people asking their advice to start off with the following bolded word just to sort things out easier; I'm oddly organized today. Without further ado:

QUESTION

How good is the functionality of a Nels Stewart-Ron Francis-Martin St.Louis line? Would I be getting particularly docked for the mesh here, particularly for puck winning? I'm wondering if the line can function in a puck-winning by committee kind of thing. (I know Nels isn't known for it, quite the opposite, but he's definitely go the right kind of body type for it, and he's got the nasty. Maybe with the right coach...)

Leafs Forever is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
  #35
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
I don't like St. Louis on the line, his speed actually works against him, especially as he is best when using his linemates on the rush. He could easily be often off-side with slower linemates. You'd be better off getting a center who can score and anchor the second line to St. Louis.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
  #36
hungryhungryhippy
Registered User
 
hungryhungryhippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
I really don't like the look of the line to be honest... and it's not necessarily because you don't have a designated "puck-winner" or anything stupid like that (although all the guys I'm thinking of that would make the line look good are puck winners lol, so maybe that's a subconscious hint). Depending on who's available with your next set of picks, you should construct the lines differently, maybe:

Stewart - Francis - (a guy like Northcott)
XXXXX - XXXXXX - St. Louis

hungryhungryhippy is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
  #37
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
I don't think St. Louis is particularly BAD on that line.. but you should definitely look for a better fit.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
  #38
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
So far I have Robinson and Stanley on my blueline. If I was to draft a dman, what route do ppl think I should go? Defensive or offensive or balanced 3rd to pair with Robinson? or to start off my 2nd pairing?

markrander87 is offline  
Old
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
  #39
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I don't like St. Louis on the line, his speed actually works against him, especially as he is best when using his linemates on the rush. He could easily be often off-side with slower linemates. You'd be better off getting a center who can score and anchor the second line to St. Louis.
Not to mention Stewart was at his best with two fast bruisers (Babe Seibert and Hooley Smith) to dominate the corners and backcheck for him. Francis and St. Louis will both backcheck, but the pair of Lady Byng winners aren't exactly going to scare anyone.

Agree that St. Louis is probably best as the centerpiece of a second line.

Actually, St. Louis is notorious for making his centers better, so you could even move Stewart back to center and put him with St. Louis, with Francis centering the second line (I think Francis is a much better 2nd line center than a 1st liner).

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
  #40
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
So far I have Robinson and Stanley on my blueline. If I was to draft a dman, what route do ppl think I should go? Defensive or offensive or balanced 3rd to pair with Robinson? or to start off my 2nd pairing?
I would keep Robinson and Stanley together.

And then draft the best European prospect ever, a man compared to the great Bobby Orr.*

*Aki Berg

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
02-23-2011, 10:24 AM
  #41
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 50
Anybody else think drafting coaches is pointless since we do all the line and units and built our team for our strategy all by ourselves?

Jafar is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 10:31 AM
  #42
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Anybody else think drafting coaches is pointless since we do all the line and units and built our team for our strategy all by ourselves?
Disagree. Coaching is a very important part of every team.

And the fit between a coach and your lineup is very important.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
  #43
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I would keep Robinson and Stanley together.
Agreed. You don't want to put a lesser defenseman out there getting the kind of minutes Robinson will be getting. Stick Stanley on that pairing and you have a very strong 2-way first unit. Start your second pairing with the best defenseman available, regardless of style. We're too thin on talent at 40 teams to get too picky.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
  #44
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Anybody else think drafting coaches is pointless since we do all the line and units and built our team for our strategy all by ourselves?
I want my coach to make the line and units for my team, and adjust them in games if necessary. Any lines I post are what I think my coach might do and are for the benefit of other GMs to make it easier to evaluate my team.

If your lines and units don't match your coach's usual tactics, I might assume he's going to change them on you when I evaluate your team.

If you draft Scotty Bowman, part of the reason is because of his ability to juggle lines and put players in position to succeed. Your team definitely isn't going to stick 100% to the lines posted in the roster thread if Scotty Bowman is your coach.

overpass is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
  #45
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
Jack Darragh or Alex Maltsev?

to play right wing on the first PP with Esposito and Luc Robitaille.

Velociraptor is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
  #46
jarek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Maltsev is the better offensive player. Go with him.

What do you guys think of this?

Denneny - Keats - Watson at ES.

Denneny - Keats - Martinec on the PP.

jarek is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
  #47
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
I can't decide whether or not Bailey is a good fit on my top line or if I'd be better off starting a second line with him.

Blake-Howe-Bailey

Thoughts?

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
  #48
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Reds4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Czech Republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Maltsev is the better offensive player. Go with him.

What do you guys think of this?

Denneny - Keats - Watson at ES.

Denneny - Keats - Martinec on the PP.
I'd let Martinec run his own PP, he was an excellent playmaker and had tremendous hockey sense and vision. I'd put a net crasher with Denneny and Keats, and moved Martinec down to 2nd PP unit to run his own show.

Reds4Life is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
  #49
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
I can't decide whether or not Bailey is a good fit on my top line or if I'd be better off starting a second line with him.

Blake-Howe-Bailey

Thoughts?
Put Bailey on the top line. Neither Blake nor Howe is a guy who can be a high-end digger for you, so Bailey adds something to the unit, and you're not going to find a better overall winger than him at this point, anyway. He's more of a glue guy than a guy you build a line around, so use him as such.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
  #50
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Any thoughts on what type of player I should add for my 2nd line. Currently have either:

Prentice-?-Litzenberger or
Prentice-Litzenberger-?

markrander87 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.