HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McDonagh upside

Old
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
McDonagh is a guy that you don't trade.

He's incredibly steady and intelligent.

I don't care for comparisons, but he's damn good, and very young. He's a rook and logging 20 minutes and is virtually never a liability.

Same goes for Sauer.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-McIlrath

Is what I want moving forward.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

well del zotto was pegged to be an elite PMD at this point last year soooo........

but from what hes showed thus far hes a SOLID 2nd pairing guy, doesnt make many glaring mistakes. If i had to compare him to anyone in the league itd be marc staal, hes less of a shutdown guy that marc but he plays a similar game. hes even said he trys to model his game after marc which i have no complaints about.
if he and sauer keep it up that could be a steller 2nd pairing for years to come, with MDZ and D-mac rounding out the backend.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I was a big proponent of bringing McDonagh directly into the NHL and was a bit disappointed when he was deemed not ready. I was not expecting him to be this good this fast after the call-up. He's playing at a similarly high level as when he played in college.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I wonder if him and Stepan are rooming together now on road trips... I'm sure they're happy to be playing on the same team again.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
nyr5186

His game sort of reminds me of a hockey version of LeBron James.

In his prime, I think his ceiling is probably about 32 points a night.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
mostly a reader

He is solid, but as a young rookie, seems to be keeping it simple. When he becomes secure in his job, the offense will come around a little more. Would be nice to see more hitting, but again, probably exercising restraint right now.

mostly a reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

There's absolutely 0 worry in his eyes. He came in and tears up his opponents 9/10 times. The little things that most fair weather fans or even regular fans don't see are crucial in a player like McD's game.

Any criticism against him thus far is unwarranted. I'd definitely go that far. There is not one thing about his game right now that isn't superb unless you're expecting him to score goals which is not a huge part of his repertoire.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I was a big proponent of bringing McDonagh directly into the NHL and was a bit disappointed when he was deemed not ready.
In all fairness, he didn't have the best camp... The difference between how he's playing now, and what he showed in camp, is night & day.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
In all fairness, he didn't have the best camp... The difference between how he's playing now, and what he showed in camp, is night & day.
Oh, I know. I mean I was disappointed in HIM not performing. I fully agree that he deserved to go down.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
avery16*

most of you probably didnt watch chelios in his prime, but this is what mcdonugah will be. chris chelios.

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery16 View Post
most of you probably didnt watch chelios in his prime, but this is what mcdonugah will be. chris chelios.
From your lips to God's ears.

02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
darko

Quote:

That same Chris Chelios that has 948 career points?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
You mean post prime Chris Chelios... Because McDonagh isn't going to be putting up multiple 60 and 70 point seasons. Nor will McDonagh play with the same snarl & nastiness as the young Chelios.

But Chelios at age 35 and later was still a very good player.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

McD has good offensive instincts.

He's already settling in & doing more. The last few games he's joined the rush more & even crashed the net a few times.

Also, he's crept in on the backside towards the net when we've had good possession on the other side. Once the team starts looking for/finding him on these(various aggressive plays) his points will take a good jump.

Hes laying the bigger hits on more frequently as well. He's a joy to watch IMO. Just relaxing into his position on the team & stepping up as he goes.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I don't think you did, either, man. McDonagh is nothing like Chelios. I don't even see a remote resemblance.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
GP: 84 G: 15 A: 58 Pts: 73 +/-: 14 PIMs: 282

You think McDonagh is going to put up those numbers? Because thats Chelios in his prime. I don't think McDonagh has Chelios-level offense, or Chelios-level meanness.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't think you did, either, man. McDonagh is nothing like Chelios. I don't even see a remote resemblance.
Really??? I see a resemblance especially when looking at the early Chris Chelios in his days with Montreal. Chilly was a great skater; excellent agility and balance. Same with McD. McD is really strong on his skates and has shown good agility and balance. Compare his skating to either Sauer's or Girardi. McD is better on his skates. His ability to tie up a forechecker with his stick and still move the puck with his feet shows how really strong he is on his skates.

Another thing - Chilly was great at taking what the forwards gave him. He didn't force the puck and usually his first pass was right on. I'm seeing the same out of McD. He's quick to get the puck outta danger and his first pass is right on. That's amazing considering how young he is.

Where the comparison suffers is meaness and offensive zone play. I will say that I don't believe Chilly was the mean SOB in Montreal that he later became in Chicago and Detriot. Chris wasn't a highlight reel hitter - he rubbed his guy out then chopped at him or gave him a face rub. Ornery and mean is the best way to describe Chris. Haven't seen enough of McD to know it he will develop that nasty side but I kinda doubt he will. Offensively Chris was excellent. If McD ends up to be half the player in the offensive zone that Chilly was then I'll be pleased.

Anyway, these comparisons tend to be very subjective. From the blueline in I don't think that comparison is way off. Mark my words in a couple of seasons McD will be the 2nd best defensive d-man on this team.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Am I absolutely blind-sided by hopelessly optimistic homerism, or does anyone see similarities between Keith and McD? Or is it just me?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I love McD but really, Chelios in his prime. Thats as bad as the Leetch=Del Zotto comparisons last year.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Blazephr

Chelios? oy vey.

McD is a solid as they come, and is only a rookie. Great skating ability will afford him 20 -25 pts a year in his prime. I'm hoping he develops a shot from the point....then we should see his point totals rise from what's been originally projected.

If only Staal had a shot from the point.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I think McD will probably retire before age 60, when Chelios hit his prime.

03-01-2011, 07:41 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I think McD will probably retire before age 60, when Chelios hit his prime.
Just gotta say, I was staring at your avatar and sig for like 3minutes.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote