HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Old
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
bretzky15

vCash: 500
I think the Oilers should take a serious look at Craig Rivet. He is a veteran leader that might be able to help take the pressure off of lots of our young defensman (Petry, Peckham, Chorney, Plante). I think I would only pick him up if the Oilers are trading Smid however

bretzky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Fluffy Nuts

I hope the Islanders pick him up.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If the Oilers plan on trading Hemsky and Penner I'd pick him up as basically a 20 game try out.

Otherwise no point.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
This could benefit a team like the Kings unless a bottom feeder claims him.
He would be Frolov 2.0. (It could be good and bad).

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Well I jumped on the waiver bandwagon for Grabner and then Hagman... and I'll do the same now for Zherdov as well. He's scored 20+ goals 3 times and he's still just 26 and on a $2 million salary.

Of course he's a UFA at the end of the season so he'll likely be gone then anyway... but I still like the idea of giving him a shot on the team for the last 20 games. Who knows... he may even like it here and want to re-sign for a reasonable salary.

I know he's got a "lazy" rep but we aren't likely to get chances at many 60 pt per year players for free. It's a low risk move... play him for the final 20 and let him walk or try to reach a moderately priced deal with him in the off season. I think it's worth a shot at trying to upgrade the personnel on the Oilers.

For those who'll play that old broken record and say there's no room for him... waive JFJ/Brule or another marginal roster player.

Obviously the lesson by now that Oilers management should have learnred is that teams around the league aren't frothing to pick up other teams junk so there's no real danger of the Oilers junk being picked up either... and if they are so what. Plenty more better players to pick up on waivers to replace them.

Can anyone honestly say that if the Oilers had picked up Grabner, Hagman and now Zherdov... that this team wouldn't have a better offensive outlook for the future?

I'm of the opinion that the Oilers should constantly be looking for upgrades like these and be willing to rotate out and waive players that haven't worked out as well. OKC should be a useful development tool... and players being sent down there isn't the end of the world.

The Oilers are simply too scared that their "valuable junk" will be picked up off waivers so they are shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of some of these waived players. I'd love to find a few more surprises like Ryan Jones for free out there.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

I think we should claim every player who hits waivers.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

Good plan...

We send Hall / MPS / Eberle down to the minors since they can not be claimed - plus we already know they will be on the team next year.

Then we claim everyone on waivers who has any potential and give them a 20 game tryout. The worst case scenario is that we end up in 30th place getting the #1 overall draft pick...

Hope Seedling does not notice I changed his emoticon....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Spawn

PPG of the Oilers top 9 forwards
Hemsky 0.93
Eberle 0.66
Hall 0.63
Penner 0.63
Horcoff 0.62
Gagner 0.60
Omark 0.52
Paajarvi 0.40
Cogliano 0.40

Zherdev... 0.40

He's not even outproducing Cogliano. If this guy can't score with one of Richards/Carter/Briere on the 3rd highest scoring team in the league, he's not going to score here. He wont get the minutes over any of Hemsky/Penner/Hall/Eberle and it doesn't make much sense to give him minutes over Omark or Paajarvi considering he's likely to be here for 20 games.

Pass.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
That is the HFOil Way™

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Good plan...

We send Hall / MPS / Eberle down to the minors since they can not be claimed - plus we already know they will be on the team next year.

Then we claim everyone on waivers who has any potential and give them a 20 game tryout. The worst case scenario is that we end up in 30th place getting the #1 overall draft pick...

Hope Seedling does not notice I changed his emoticon....

Oh well, all in good fun! Serioulsy though, we should claim everyone.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
PPG of the Oilers top 9 forwards
Hemsky 0.93
Eberle 0.66
Hall 0.63
Penner 0.63
Horcoff 0.62
Gagner 0.60
Omark 0.52
Paajarvi 0.40
Cogliano 0.40

Zherdev... 0.40

He's not even outproducing Cogliano. If this guy can't score with one of Richards/Carter/Briere on the 3rd highest scoring team in the league, he's not going to score here. He wont get the minutes over any of Hemsky/Penner/Hall/Eberle and it doesn't make much sense to give him minutes over Omark or Paajarvi considering he's likely to be here for 20 games.

Pass.
Before you go throwing around PPG numbers and making assessments on players based on just this partial season... maybe you should compare his minutes played to all those other players... and then look at his career PPG and past offensive performance as well. I know Zherdev has his flaws but to start making arguments saying he doesn't have obvious offensive talent to at least rival half of the Oilers forwards is silly.

Old
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
my sentiments exactly.......

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Before you go throwing around PPG numbers and making assessments on players based on just this partial season... maybe you should compare his minutes played to all those other players... and then look at his career PPG and past offensive performance as well. I know Zherdev has his flaws but to start making arguments saying he doesn't have obvious offensive talent to at least rival half of the Oilers forwards is silly.
..but you have to look at what he's doing this season too. If we were to claim him he'd be taking a job from one of those players. Considering players like Cogliano and Paajarvi are playing less minutes with weaker players, you can't justify giving him a spot in the top 9.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

How does a guy with that much talent get waived?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:
Bwahahahaha..... I clicked on the 'Trade Proposals...' area first, and when I saw the list I thought to myself, "oh god". Sure enough I click on the Oil page, and people want to put in a claim. One man's garbage is another's treasure, I guess. Seriously though, there's a reason why a couple of these notorious LAZY human beings are on waivers.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
..but you have to look at what he's doing this season too. If we were to claim him he'd be taking a job from one of those players. Considering players like Cogliano and Paajarvi are playing less minutes with weaker players, you can't justify giving him a spot in the top 9.
Well Cogs and MP have both played more minutes (and games) than Zherdev and he still has more goals than both of them. In fact if you look at the goals scored at even strength per 60 minutes stat... Zherdev has scored 1.57 goals per 60 minutes played... no one on the Oilers is actually even close to that level this season.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
How does a guy with that much talent get waived?
Lazy, streaky, hurts his team more than he helps.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
vespa99

Nyet!

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Offensive talent yes. Drive to compete? Probably not. There is a reason he only gets 12.5 minutes a game with the Flyers. It's because he isn't very good anymore. Whether that's because of injuries, or lack of drive or whatever, it doesn't matter.

I don't think he can cut it anymore. And considering that this is the third team that seemed less than enamored with him by the end of his tenure then I'm not sure I want to bring this guy into this locker room.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:30 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Well Cogs and MP have both played more minutes (and games) than Zherdev and he still has more goals than both of them. In fact if you look at the goals scored at even strength per 60 minutes stat... Zherdev has scored 1.57 goals per 60 minutes played... no one on the Oilers is actually even close to that level this season.
So with this thinking, we should be waiving Cogliano or shipping MPS to the minors to make room for the Hagman's and the Zherdev's of the world. Awesome, dead body storage.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Master Lok

Based on pure talent and scoring history, I would be interested if I was GM. However, the Oilers have to do their due diligence, and if they asked the Philly coach for his attitude and personality and dedication, and if all these were negative then there's no point in picking him up.

And lastly Renney should have a better understanding of this player than any poster on this board considering he's coached him before. If Renney says this guy has a poor attitude, that's good enough for me.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
vb

Hmm... low risk but at the same time, does he fit in the plan?

The fact that Philly traded Gagne to make room for him & add cap space, and now they are waiving him is a huge red flag for his playing ability.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
Hmm... low risk but at the same time, does he fit in the plan?

The fact that Philly traded Gagne to make room for him & add cap space, and now they are waiving him is a huge red flag for his playing ability.
Low risk... what reward? He plays well for 20 games and goes and signs with some other team? He's not a player that this team needs. This team is set with top 6 wingers in the Zherdev mold.

Old
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
TheChase

Quote:
When I get home I am going to check and see what macintyre has for goals per 60 seconds played. I think its higher. Ha ha

TheChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

what would be the point signing him? can he play centre? can he win faceoffs? can he kill penalties? he's a UFA after this season. he's not what the Oilers need.

no thanks.

Oil_in_my_veins is offline   Reply With Quote