HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/22/2011 Predators pay a visit to Columbus

Old
02-23-2011, 01:12 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

vCash: 500
I usually shy away from such in depth discussion for a variety of reasons. The biggest and most relevant of which is that I simply haven't been a hockey fan that long. It's only my second year as a STH and 5th as a hockey fan of any kind. I don't feel qualified to post opinions and observations with the big boys. That being said...

**** happens. Bad games happen. Players get hurt. We're all pissed. It's Trotz's fault, Poile's fault, Weber's fault, Rinne's fault, Doan's fault for hitting Suter, Mark Howard's fault for cursing the team, and Crispy's fault for overusing the word Bubba.

The doom and gloom feeling tends to dissipate in the midst of a 3 or 4 game win streak (Yeah, I know it has been a while) and we all have a good time again until something else throws a monkey wrench in the works and then the *****ing continues. Sports. That's how it works.

If we weren't 4 years out from the team almost being taken to Canada and weren't worried about a possible relapse to dismal attendance numbers performance like this would be a lot easier to stomach simply because you could shrug your shoulders and say, "Eh, we've got time to get better."

Tonight sucked. I'm still mad. I'll be mad tomorrow. Depending on the outcome Thursday I may or may not be mad Friday. Regardless of the outcome of Thursday's game, Sunday's game or the playoff games should there be any I'll still be calling my ticket rep in a few months and telling her to start charging my credit card again.

I don't know enough to even begin offering ideas on why we're slumping. I couldn't explain how we lost to Edmonton then came back and rubbed the Red Wings' faces in the ice and laughed about it. I can't even figure out how Rinne won the best mustache competition a few months back. And I don't care.

I also know damn well that some on here are going to read this, chuckle and ignore it or make light of it. Again, don't care. I want this team to win as much as anyone. I've skipped weddings, birthday parties and work to watch this team play and will do it again next year with a smile on my face when I'm asked, "So a game is more important than me?" This time of year, yes. Yes it is.

I guess all that is the long way of saying it's the right of every sports fan to have their blood pressure go through the roof and call for the heads of the players or coaching staff when nights like this happen even though the next big win will probably change the moods of many.

In the end a couple of goofballs (Myself included) on a hockey forum are going to make some fun one liners, drink more than we should, cheer for the team and wonder how in the hell no one has compared Sully's new headgear to Lord Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:54 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This game was pathetic. Although I don't know why anyone is really shocked by what's happening with this team. It is February after all. Every year it's the same thing. After the all-star game we play like crap.

Only twice in our history have we won more than 7 games in the month of February. (We have 4 so far with 3 games left)

Only twice in our history have we won more than 7 games in the month of March. Though last season we went 11-5-1. But it's not like we have a bunch of easy games coming either.

In our last 10 games we are 4-4-2. Only Edmonton, Colorado and Dallas have done worse than us in the last 10 games.

We're now down to 6th place and falling fast.

Yeah injuries are a problem with this team right now. But really, there is no excuse to play the way they did tonight vs Cbj. They didn't have anything going. Trotz even said during the first intermission that they were having problems getting going. This is a division rival in a playoff battle and they came out flat.

This is now 2 games in a row that it took over 10 minutes into the first period before we even had ONE shot on goal. That's ridiculous. We will never score if we can't get the puck to the net.

And it's total BS to give up so many goals in the third period. We put 3 shots total on goal in the third. CBJ scored 4 goals. Even if all 3 went in, we still would have lost.

And I'm so sick of hearing that they have to learn from this and move on. They're fricking professionals, grown men. If you haven't learned anything by NOW, you never will. Why the hell do they need someone else to get them pumped for a game? They should know what's at stake. They all say they know it's going to be a dog fight, but where is the fight in them? They play up and down to their opponents. They had a chance to come out and put some doubt in Columbus, but now they think they have a chance and on Sunday could tie us.

They are bound to have a stinker game every once and a while, but they haven't played well since before the all-star break. The offense is beyond cold. Pekka has to have a shutout to give us a chance. The defense has been only half decent and OB has played like a butthole lately (keep your damn stick down and away from guys heads!).

Instead of waiting for someone else to do everything, or trying to do it all individually, they need to start working together as units and just find a damn way to win a game.

PS. Welcome to the NHL Jonathon Blum!! Congrats on your first game!!

Last edited by sparkle twin: 02-23-2011 at 02:04 AM.
sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Reviled
Partisan

I think it's a little disingenuous to imply anyone is characterizing an ephemeral line changeup caused by a temporary issue (perhaps such as an equipment failure, as you noted) and continuous changes in hope of hitting the correct lotto sequence.

Suppose for a moment that a given Predator line is playing well together, while the other three lines flounder due to personnel availability fluctuations, powerplays, planetary alignments, whathaveyou. It just *might* actually be worthwhile to keep that single effective line together and confine the fiddling to the other 9 ineffective bozos in the hope of stumbling upon a second effective combination.

Sure, one might need to temporarily break up the one effective line, but for god's sake, put it back together as soon as you can. One effective line is betther than none, and two are better than one. Unless, of course none *is* the preferred number of effective lines until, Pow!, we quickly reunite the single worthwhile line available, catch the enemy off guard, and spring our exceedingly clever trap. Muaahahahahah!

Relentlessly insisting on zero effective lines until you might someday/sometime serendipituously happenstance upon a simultaneous four effective lines [for the moment] is one of the hotbuttons that raises the ire of some members of the fanbase; while simultaneously inspiring the fawning awe of other members of the same fanbase, apparently.

Yes, injuries are a MAJOR issue right now. However, that's also proferred as an excuse, whether intentional or not.

Epiphany: Perhaps the mantra of 'No Excuses' really means "We politely intend to win when we have *no excuses* remaining for losing." Whereas some of the fanbase, myself included, have thusfar taken the meaning to be "We will win no matter freaking what." The later of which, to wit, whereby all but the most stridently literal fan will forgive failure to achieve should the entire team bust their butts from start to finish and leave it all out on the ice.

>>>I guess in your mind we should just chalk Thursday and every game for the foreseeable future as a loss and save our time.

No. I dang well demand a win; based on the expectations the team set forth. NO EXCUSES.
Tired? So what, go win the game.
Injured? So what, go win the game.
Lined up with new guys? So what, go win the game.
The other team is tearing it up tonight? So what, go win the game.
Limited minutes 'cuz the coach hates you? So what, go win the game.
Zebras are tilting the ice? So what, go win the game.
Tootoo whistles hurt your ears? So what, go win the game.
Erat put chili powder in your jock? So what, go win the game.
NO EXCUSES.

As to my antepenultimate posting (thus far in this thread), that was only half tongue-in-cheek. If our forward core is so piss-poor at being forwards that the loss of a single defenceman can break us (as has been demonstrated to be true twice thusfar this season) then perhaps, for the Preds, one el cheapo forward is as good as another as long as we have overpowering defence and goal.

Say 30 million for three top pair D-men, three 2nd pair D-men, a spare #5 D-man, plus 2 strong, and if possible tall, Goalies.

No more. "Well, we're stuck with XXX's NMC/NTC." Or YYY's too-long term big salary for sustained low production value. Or ZZZ's continuous injuries. Or Lombardi's outright multimillion dollar cameo. Instead just fill out the forward corps with a variety of also-rans and SK74-types each year; some of which will pan out , some of which won't.

Like I said, "Half tongue-in-cheek." As in "taken to the n-th degree to illustrate the absurdity of a number of past strategic decisions, compounded by current recividist thinking and actions.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Says the poster with the user name and title that shows his extreme cynicism...

Injuries are a MAJOR issue right now. No one can deny that. However there is enough talent on this roster to tough it out right now in the short term and keep the team in good shape as players return from injury. Tonight they didn't get it done. Thursday is a new opportunity.

I guess in your mind we should just chalk Thursday and every game for the foreseeable future as a loss and save our time.

I'm really sick of the "Trotz shuffles lines" crap just like you are of the "never say die" attitude. In my years following the team I've witnessed many lines stay together without fail for large portions of the season. Other lines may shift, but when Trotz has something working, he keeps it together. When a player misses a shift due to an equipment issue or penalty people are quick to jump all over Trotz for switching up the lines...it's absurd. If things aren't working, the same group harping on line changes are the ones screaming at Trotz about the combos and throwing out changes themselves.

Injuries are what's causing the lines to juggle right now. Trotz also shortened his bench tonight in the third period which shuffled some of the lines. I saw a couple combos I liked during those shuffles, let's hope they continue working out and stick together...
One of his better lines this season was Legwand centering Wilson and Hornqvist. Since Sully has been back we have hardly seen it.

As far as you saying we've been playing without certain guys, we've played without Lombardi all season except for a game and a half, I think we've learned to play without him. Before O'Reilly went down, we were playing without him because he was mired in a slump. Losing Bouillon put Sulzer into the lineup which isn't much of a change either way. Goc has been in and out and that one is probably the one that hurts the most but at the end of the day, Goc is a good third line center being asked to play a higher role in our system. Fisher has found no chemistry with anyone he's been paired with.

I know injuries suck and there's been constant juggling but Trotz has no issue benching or moving someone down the depth chart like Dumont but he's been out there skating hard, actually playing the body, doing what is asked of him while Sully comes back, injured, goes out, stinks up the joint and can't get anything done on a top 6 line. It sickens me that there is loyalty to certain players yet no forgiveness to time of ice for others. The inconsistency stinks from top to bottom.

And for what it's worth, injuries have no bearing on effort and playing hard. Like I said earlier, when Halischuk and Mueller were here they were skating hard every shift and while the results may or may not be amazing, I'd rather watch kids who play hard than guys who go out there and just go through the motions.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
RollingPredFan

I know everyone is mad and probably should be. That may have been the worst game they played all year. I think the effort is what ticked me off. They don't look desperate and with the standings the way they are they better get that way... Without Suter it hurts the transition game and when I heard Kostystin wasn't playing, I knew it would be bad, he is the only forward night in and out that generates offense. If Sully can't play any better than that, then bring up somebody. I love him but he's a liability right now.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One of his better lines this season was Legwand centering Wilson and Hornqvist. Since Sully has been back we have hardly seen it.

As far as you saying we've been playing without certain guys, we've played without Lombardi all season except for a game and a half, I think we've learned to play without him. Before O'Reilly went down, we were playing without him because he was mired in a slump. Losing Bouillon put Sulzer into the lineup which isn't much of a change either way. Goc has been in and out and that one is probably the one that hurts the most but at the end of the day, Goc is a good third line center being asked to play a higher role in our system. Fisher has found no chemistry with anyone he's been paired with.

I know injuries suck and there's been constant juggling but Trotz has no issue benching or moving someone down the depth chart like Dumont but he's been out there skating hard, actually playing the body, doing what is asked of him while Sully comes back, injured, goes out, stinks up the joint and can't get anything done on a top 6 line. It sickens me that there is loyalty to certain players yet no forgiveness to time of ice for others. The inconsistency stinks from top to bottom.

And for what it's worth, injuries have no bearing on effort and playing hard. Like I said earlier, when Halischuk and Mueller were here they were skating hard every shift and while the results may or may not be amazing, I'd rather watch kids who play hard than guys who go out there and just go through the motions.
Agree. But Sullivan is veteran, so Wilson gets bumped. This has seemed to be the case many times. Production for Legwand and Wilson has dropped since this change.
Also Wilson got bumped from PP last night putting Svatos on #1 PP, and Dumont in Wilson #2 spot.
I will say, Wilson looked good at center though. He and Spaling were strongest on faceoffs last night, actually Smithson, Fisher, and Legwand were awful.
Also saw 3 times Wilson backcheck ( covering for pinching D ), and break up the play.
He needs to produce offence, but with the system this team plays and all the line changes, loses any chemistry that was there.
I thought Blum looked good out there. He did not look nervous, and I thought played solidly.
All in all, a real stinker and lets hope your team can come back from this one with avengance!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
you're right. we wont be a force in the playoffs. we wont be cup favorites, and probably wont ever in my lifetime. accept that, and things get a little better. What we do have though is a legitimate shot at winning every year..for the hate of poile and trotz, they give me as a fan a glimmer of hope every year because we get in, or have a chance to get in to the playoffs at the end of every year.

could you imagine being a team like edmonton? watching games since the 2nd month that mean absolutely nothing!? I cant. i am greatfull that i get to go to games that at least means something every year. We have a chance every year..as a fan, thats all I ask for, and need. How long has it been since the packers won last? 20 years or so? If the predators win the stanley cup in my lifetime..that would be great, but I dont expect it. It isnt easy to do you know. Not a slight at ownership/team/mgmt/fans. Its just not something that everyone gets to witness.

as far as your second post...you're right again..lets get rid of all of them! bring up guys from the ahl to finish out the season. These are the guys we have boys..dont give up on em. they will give us a chance again this year (or at least enertain us as fans)
That is exactly what I said. I give my criticism of the team and this is what you get out of it.

These boards are a joke. People can complain about the team's play at any given time. I posted what I thought was wrong. And then you see responses like this. Get a grip. I'm not freaking out. Just posting a criticism. People who vent or post what they think is wrong and all of a sudden that means that they think the team should move, all the players should be traded, GM/coach fired. Right...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I am having really bad flashbacks to the official boards...

MAKE IT STOP!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It's pretty much universal.
Along with fan paranoia against the media and refs.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
I think it's a little...
Just out of curiosity, which line would you put back together? Not to antagonize, but you gave that long spiel about how Trotz would rather scuttle successful lines in an attempt to have four lines with a slight shimmer of chemistry; you never really gave out an idea as to which line would be THE line to put together and keep together. The Euro line looked good, but Goc is out. Leggy looked good with Wilson and Hornqvist for a time, but I seem to remember that line losing chemistry and these boards erupting after a loss that saw Legwand fail to bury some attempts (while skating with those two). Wilson hasn't been playing the way he was when that line produced. As someone pointed out, he's been trying to do too much, and in return getting no results. Maybe reuniting that line will do some good, but if you're the coach do you really give a guy more ice time when he is hogging the puck until it a)gets stolen or b) has a shot blocked out of the zone? I don't.

Maybe these are excuses, but so is "the team isn't winning because the team isn't being managed and coached the way I say it should be in these posts."

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 02-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
predlady

"And for what it's worth, injuries have no bearing on effort and playing hard. Like I said earlier, when Halischuk and Mueller were here they were skating hard every shift and while the results may or may not be amazing, I'd rather watch kids who play hard than guys who go out there and just go through the motions."

No one plays with hunger. One would think they know they have to win just about every game from here on out to be in the running, but yet they don't show up to play. When the leader goes down, the rest are supposed to close the gap and get rolling, not curl up in a ball and cry. There was just no excuse for their awfulness last night and they have had a bunch of last nights this season.

predlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
PredsChik

Well, at least I didn't get home at 3 am after driving to and from Columbus for that game. Oh wait. It is what it is. I laughed my ass off at goals 3 and 4 and made fun of how fat Rick Nash and Steve Mason and Shane O'Brien are offering cake as a distraction or reward given the player. I'm irritated but after a 6 hour drive home, again, it is what it is. Move on to Thursday.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just out of curiosity, which line would you put back together? Not to antagonize, but you gave that long spiel about how Trotz would rather scuttle successful lines in an attempt to have four lines with a slight shimmer of chemistry; you never really gave out an idea as to which line would be THE line to put together and keep together. The Euro line looked good, but Goc is out. Leggy looked good with Wilson and Hornqvist for a time, but I seem to remember that line losing chemistry and these boards erupting after a loss that saw Legwand fail to bury some attempts (while skating with those two). Wilson hasn't been playing the way he was when that line produced. As someone pointed out, he's been trying to do too much, and in return getting no results. Maybe reuniting that line will do some good, but if you're the coach do you really give a guy more ice time when he is hogging the puck until it a)gets stolen or b) has a shot blocked out of the zone? I don't.

Maybe these are excuses, but so is "the team isn't winning because the team isn't being managed and coached the way I say it should be in these posts."
I have to throw this out there. A couple weeks ago, Wilson had a "highlight reel goal" and people on these boards were saying " he is showing why we drafted him" etc. That goal was a full out power forward goal. Beat the guy in the neutral zone, carried it over the blue line, continued through stickhandled in front of the net.....and popped it in. Not saying he should do that all the time, and i do not think he does, but that is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than your dump and chase style.
I think an exciting line would have both Wilson and SK. They would CREATE, not sure who the third forward would be but maybe someone a bit more defensive.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
Mark Howard's fault for cursing the team
Is this sarcasm, a joke or did I miss something?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:50 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Is this sarcasm, a joke or did I miss something?
Sarcasm/joke/I'm not a fan of Mark Howard and needed another scapegoat for my rant.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
Sarcasm/joke/I'm not a fan of Mark Howard and needed another scapegoat for my rant.
Haha, ok.

I think my favorite MH moment was when he was doing a radio interview with Legwand a couple years ago, it was pretty early in the morning, and he asked Leggy if he had his teeth in. Wycheck and Ingram got pissed at him but MH just giggled about it.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

29 goals from Erat, Sullivan and Dumont is Brutal.... Only cost us about 13 million dollars too :-)

Can't blame them completely - they are gifted and play well at times, but are so over payed it's just ridiculous. My God, RICK NASH almost has as many goals as the 3 combined!!!

IngloriusBuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote