HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Upshall suspended two games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
  #1
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 38,949
vCash: 1335
Upshall suspended two games

NHL.com -- http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=553918

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...kars-bartulis/

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. - Scottie Upshall admitted his hit on Flyers defenseman Oskars Bartulis was late, after checking out the replay. But despite his remorse, the Coyotes forward was suspended two games by the league on Wednesday.

Upshall launched Bartulis into the boards early in the second period as Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky was covering the puck. The former Flyers forward got a two-minute minor for boarding, though Peter Laviolette said Upshall should’ve been assessed a major penalty.

“Watched the highlights of our game. my hit on Bartulis was without a doubt late, but i had absolutely no intention of injuring him,” Upshall wrote on Twitter late Tuesday night.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren criticized the hit immediately following the Flyers’ 3-2 overtime loss to the Coyotes.

“Oskars is just standing there minding his own business. It was a late hit,” Holmgren said. “I guess I got a little bit of a problem with it, yeah. It’s not really like Scottie to do that. Things happen.”


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
  #2
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Good it was dangerous and unneeded

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
  #3
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,756
vCash: 500
I'm surprised.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
  #4
flyguy
PetSoundsAvatar
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Delco
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
It was late, yes, but I wouldn't have expected a suspension coming. Crazy. Yotes fans are probably going to be upset at this one.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
  #5
Bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
Bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 15,880
vCash: 50
Good, would of preferred someone kicking the **** out of him, but this is fair.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
  #6
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
The hit was late, but Bartulis can't be standing there "minding his own business" in a NHL game around the crease. Get your head up and see what is coming at you, kid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
  #7
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,278
vCash: 500
Sad because knowing Scotty, it was a total accident. I don't think he should be suspended but fined for carelessly rushing in without paying attention to who's in front of him and how they're positioned.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
  #8
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,739
vCash: 500
I would have rather had a 5 minute major :/.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
  #9
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
1-2 games is a fair suspension.

There was really no intent to really hit Bartulis, in my opinion...looking at the replay, it really looks like Upshall kinda realizes at the last second he's gonna hit him, so he just puts his shoulder into it. I really don't think he meant to charge in and hit him, but at the last second definitely decided if they were going to collide, he might as well make it a hit (which probably helped him avoid getting hurt himself).

So, 2 games for being reckless and making a bad choice, I don't think there was ill intent there.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
  #10
CitizenCoyote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Yotes fans are probably going to be upset at this one.
Whatcha going to do? This is the NHL in 2010. A guy got injured on a hit that was ruled a penalty, and Upshall agreed it was late.

Seems to me that's an area of the ice where you have to expect to be hit. He was 12 feet from the boards, above the goal line extended, and he had his head up in a position where he was trying to score in a close game. It's a hockey play. But if Upshall admits it was late, there's no sense arguing.

Your guy got hurt, ours got suspended. It's a lose lose. We're all just going to have to get used to the fact that this is the way of things now in the NHL and over the course of the next few years it will all even out for every team. If it keeps players from missing games due to injury, great.

Edit: I guess I should have said this is the NHL in 2011. Jeez, time is going by quickly.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
  #11
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I would have rather had a 5 minute major :/.
This. How do the refs explain this to the head of officials. This is the problem right now. I am not saying that he should or should be suspended, but he only got 2 for boarding and then the league tacks on 2 games for a late hit. No consistancey or reasoning. Mind you we would have just pissed around for 5 minutes on the power play. No power play = no cup

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
  #12
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
This. How do the refs explain this to the head of officials. This is the problem right now. I am not saying that he should or should be suspended, but he only got 2 for boarding and then the league tacks on 2 games for a late hit. No consistancey or reasoning. Mind you we would have just pissed around for 5 minutes on the power play. No power play = no cup
There was no way that should have been a 5 minute penalty... and, frankly, it shouldn't have been a suspension.

Similar to Downie's hit, it's rotten luck the guy went into the end boards the way he did, but the act itself wasn't that bad (Downie's was worse).

If Bartulis had been paying attention to what was going on around him, then nothing would have happened. God knows if Upshall came in like that on Pronger he would have caught an elbow to the face. As a D he should have been turning around to face the forwards coming at his goalie, not standing there looking at him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
  #13
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,488
vCash: 500
I didn't think it was even worth a two minute minor. He hit him into the boards cause Bart wasn't expecting it but it was barely even a late hit.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
  #14
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
It was definitely a penalty, but boarding it was not.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 05:42 PM
  #15
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Wow ... kinda of shocked. I thought it was a borderline penalty. Yes, it was late, but at full speed it wasn't that late, was it even a full stride from whistle to hit?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
  #16
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There was no way that should have been a 5 minute penalty... and, frankly, it shouldn't have been a suspension.

Similar to Downie's hit, it's rotten luck the guy went into the end boards the way he did, but the act itself wasn't that bad (Downie's was worse).

If Bartulis had been paying attention to what was going on around him, then nothing would have happened. God knows if Upshall came in like that on Pronger he would have caught an elbow to the face. As a D he should have been turning around to face the forwards coming at his goalie, not standing there looking at him.
I don't really see how you can blame Bart for getting run well after the whistle.

Even if it wasn't late, he didn't have the puck. The hit was just dangerous, whether he was looking the wrong way or not.

Definitely punishable.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
  #17
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 34,144
vCash: 156
Due to the severity of the injury, I'm fine with a suspension. Otherwise I think it'd be harsh.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
  #18
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There was no way that should have been a 5 minute penalty... and, frankly, it shouldn't have been a suspension.

Similar to Downie's hit, it's rotten luck the guy went into the end boards the way he did, but the act itself wasn't that bad (Downie's was worse).

If Bartulis had been paying attention to what was going on around him, then nothing would have happened. God knows if Upshall came in like that on Pronger he would have caught an elbow to the face. As a D he should have been turning around to face the forwards coming at his goalie, not standing there looking at him.
Jesfucious says - 'If one person is about to commit a penalty, commit a penalty on him before he can hit you with the illegal hit. If not, it's your own damn fault for being hit with an illegal hit.' Got it. Oh you so ker-azy.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:43 PM
  #19
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
It was a filthy hit on so many levels...

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
  #20
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
I didn't think it was boarding, maybe charging or definitely interference since Bart didn't have the puck. I'm also surprised at the suspension but it was definitely dangerous and an unnecessary hit.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
  #21
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
I didn't think it was boarding, maybe charging or definitely interference since Bart didn't have the puck. I'm also surprised at the suspension but it was definitely dangerous and an unnecessary hit.
laying someone out with a dangerous hit like they where they are far enough from the boards that they cant use them as a support, and close enough where the player flies into them is definately boarding

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
  #22
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
laying someone out with a dangerous hit like they where they are far enough from the boards that they cant use them as a support, and close enough where the player flies into them is definately boarding
You don't usually (almost never) see a boarding call when a guy isn't facing the boards. And if you hit a guy at the bottom of the faceoff circle and he slides into the boards, is that boarding? He was easily farther away from the boards than any player I've ever seen be hit and get that call. But Upshall generated a lot of force with the hit because to me it looked like a charge. Maybe it could be called any of the three, but the only thing that matters is that it was an illegal hit.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
  #23
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
You don't usually (almost never) see a boarding call when a guy isn't facing the boards. And if you hit a guy at the bottom of the faceoff circle and he slides into the boards, is that boarding? He was easily farther away from the boards than any player I've ever seen be hit and get that call. But Upshall generated a lot of force with the hit because to me it looked like a charge. Maybe it could be called any of the three, but the only thing that matters is that it was an illegal hit.
thats right, after I learned of the suspension the first thing that came to mind was if that validated a 2 game ban it almost should have been a 5 minute major

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I don't really see how you can blame Bart for getting run well after the whistle.

Even if it wasn't late, he didn't have the puck. The hit was just dangerous, whether he was looking the wrong way or not.

Definitely punishable.
Yeah, 2 minute penalty... which is what it got. The refs called it right, the NHL once again gave a suspension on the result not the act itself.

You're a NHL D on a puck getting frozen by the goalie in the NHL, the forwards are going to be crashing the net. Get your head up. Watch all the other D when that happens, they turn and get their sticks up to ward off guys coming at 'em (and, more importantly, their goalie).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 07:33 PM
  #25
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, 2 minute penalty... which is what it got. The refs called it right, the NHL once again gave a suspension on the result not the act itself.

You're a NHL D on a puck getting frozen by the goalie in the NHL, the forwards are going to be crashing the net. Get your head up. Watch all the other D when that happens, they turn and get their sticks up to ward off guys coming at 'em (and, more importantly, their goalie).
I dont agree, if he was standing directly infront of the net where the forwards crash it would be a little easier to justify, but bart was 3 feet to the side of the net, the puck was already frozen, and he wasnt engaged with anyone in the play, if scottie's intention was to crash the net he woulda came in looking for the puck, not headed straight for a guy in a vulnerable position that really had nothing to do with the play concerning the coyotes

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.