HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, Eller sure couldn't play the wing with a little more experience.

Don't worry, I'm fully aware that the centerline would be stuffed with Richards and Plex.

Would you rather have Kristo as yet another small two-way player on the wing, or Eller, a big talented player?

Do you get my logic now?
I understand your logic, I've just seen Eller on the wing and he's half as effective as he is down the middle.

Plus if Dallas were to trade Richards, they would probably ask for a centre prospect in return.

But I doubt this happens, there are just too many factors here, including a team taking Gomez away for free because I doubt Dallas wants him.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swe_hab View Post
That's if everything works out for the best. But if he doesn't resign we'd end up with a big pile of nothing. I think that's way too steep of a price for a rental that has turned us down before.
I wouldn't trade if he doesn't re-sign. But that's just me. I'm not a big believer in rentals.

Gomez-Weber-Kristo-1st for Richards (signed).

Old
02-23-2011, 05:23 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
I wouldn't trade if he doesn't re-sign. But that's just me. I'm not a big believer in rentals.

Imo that wouldn't be enough. But I'd love that deal.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I understand your logic, I've just seen Eller on the wing and he's half as effective as he is down the middle.

Plus if Dallas were to trade Richards, they would probably ask for a centre prospect in return.

But I doubt this happens, there are just too many factors here, including a team taking Gomez away for free because I doubt Dallas wants him.
Thing is, Dallas is stuck. They might have shed some salary (Neal), but their problem is deeper regarding finances. They will probably need to get close to the cap floor. Gomez is an easy solution to that, as he won't cost as much in the last two years of his contract, while still taking a part of the cap that they don't need to pay him. I might be wrong, but if I remember well, league compensation to teams through the revenue sharing system is based on how much they spend on the cap, not on actual salary.

Just saying, the possibility is there.

Although, I do agree they might want Eller more than they would want Kristo, but I would try to insist on Kristo.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Seriously??........I realize Nieuwendyk just got pilfered by Shero but this is really pushing it.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

I'do this trade without Richards signing an extension (which he won't)...

Gomez has negative value, btw...

Old
02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
habshound247

Quote:

I agree that he would have to be signed to an extension for the deal to go through.

If you look at what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk and Salmella, it was Bergfors(young forward), Oduya(roster defenseman), Cormier(prospect forward) and a 1st. Your offer is remarkably close in terms of value. Be interesting to see if Nieuwendyk deals him and for what.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Seriously??........I realize Nieuwendyk just got pilfered by Shero but this is really pushing it.
Because you're simply thinking in terms of assets.

The Neal trade should make you realize that Dallas is in financial shambles. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. If they don't have the money to re-sign Richards long term, but want to remain competitive, it's not an unlikely solution.

Also, I would like to point out that Richards was traded for less than that, and still had 2 years left on his contract, whereas he is UFA to be right now.

So seriously? Is your memory that much faulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'do this trade without Richards signing an extension (which he won't)...

Gomez has negative value, btw...
No duh.

BTW, teams don't think stickly in terms of full value for a player.

NEEDS are the priority, and have to do with a lot more than what's going on on the ice.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:32 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Thing is, Dallas is stuck. They might have shed some salary (Neal), but their problem is deeper regarding finances. They will probably need to get close to the cap floor. Gomez is an easy solution to that, as he won't cost as much in the last two years of his contract, while still taking a part of the cap that they don't need to pay him. I might be wrong, but if I remember well, league compensation to teams through the revenue sharing system is based on how much they spend on the cap, not on actual salary.

Just saying, the possibility is there.

Although, I do agree they might want Eller more than they would want Kristo, but I would try to insist on Kristo.
I would want to keep Kristo IMHO.

Plekanec and Richards are two playmakers, so is Eller. Kristo is a shoot first and shoot often kind of guy, I think he would fit with the team more.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I would want to keep Kristo IMHO.

Plekanec and Richards are two playmakers, so is Eller. Kristo is a shoot first and shoot often kind of guy, I think he would fit with the team more.
True, I just really like his size and how he handles the puck, and IMO, you're confining them to the role of playmaker when they both can score a lot. Richards is much more a playmaker than both Eller and Plex, while the two latter are known to have a bigger propensity at shooting, so I don't see it as big of a deal if Eller ends up playing with Plex, rather than Richards.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

The Neal trade should make you realize that Dallas is in financial shambles. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. If they don't have the money to re-sign Richards long term, but want to remain competitive, it's not an unlikely solution.

Also, I would like to point out that Richards was traded for less than that, and still had 2 years left on his contract, whereas he is UFA to be right now.

At the time, Richards wasn't scoring 90pts a year... he was looking more like an overpaid player... great trade by Dallas.

Look at what Atl got for Kovalchuk... that's what you're looking for (except Richards is better defensively and a proven winner).

Old
ruski17

Kristo plays with some sandpaper, keep him. With him, Conboy, Pacioretty and White, we are finally getting a physical presence. Not to mention Leblanc that can still dish them out from time to time and Tinordi who can hit hard. We need to keep Kristo.

Old
habspinner

I do not believe that now, or ever, Brad Richards will play in Montreal.

Obviously I don't know the guy, but I do know, and I've said this before, that he was asked once to waive his no trade to come here from Tampa and he said no. I just cannot for the life of me, believe that he will ever come here.

That's ok, really the only way I would want him would be to sign him in the summer, he will be WAY too expensive to trade for. Remember what Jersey gave up for Kovy last year? Crazy....I doubt the Habs want any part of that.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
At the time, Richards wasn't scoring 90pts a year... he was looking more like an overpaid player... great trade by Dallas.

Look at what Atl got for Kovalchuk... that's what you're looking for (except Richards is better defensively and a proven winner).
This should answer your question :

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
I agree that he would have to be signed to an extension for the deal to go through.

If you look at what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk and Salmella, it was Bergfors(young forward), Oduya(roster defenseman), Cormier(prospect forward) and a 1st. Your offer is remarkably close in terms of value. Be interesting to see if Nieuwendyk deals him and for what.
It is in the realm of possibilities.

Old
02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
This should answer your question :

It is in the realm of possibilities.
Was Kovalchuck signed to an extension ?

... I said I would gladly accept your proposal, even if Richards isn't signed... but no way in hell will Dallas take on Gomez's salary... plus, it seems that Richards might not be very warm to the idea of coming here...

Old
02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If Dallas wants a center prospect I'd give them one of Bournival, Desharnais, etc...I'd do my best to keep Leblanc and Eller.

Old
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Habit11

Quote:

Another great claim from another self-appointed righteous pseudo-pragmatist.

The assets that would be traded are Gomez-Kristo-Weber-1st, nothing else. Gomez would've played almost two full season + playoffs with us, that's what you paid McDonaugh and Valentenko for. Not for Richards.

If you want to live in a fantasy world where keen asset management trumps the reality of NEEDS, then you're welcome to do just that, but you also have to realize how ridiculous it makes you look.
Seriously? Lol.

Their NEEDS are on defense. They have no depth at that position. ZERO. What they do have is 5 pending UFA's, (a 36 year old, signed Spacek) and two guys coming off serious knee surgery. That's why Nash is the 1st call up, and a 5th rd pick is traded for Paul Mara.

Have they replaced any of the depth on defense they've lost this season and through trades? Nope. Will trading another NHL ready defenseman and a 1st rd pick who they'd probably use to draft another defenseman, help? Nope.

So if the bright idea is to trade more 4 - 5 pieces for a UFA who probably won't re-sign in a city he probably won't have his NTC to come to anyway, that is a brave way to go.

This is a move the Bruins or Kings should make because they have the cap, they can survive parting with 4 - 5 pieces, and not miss a beat. The Canadiens' are not in that position.

Old
02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
If Dallas wants a center prospect I'd give them one of Bournival, Desharnais, etc...I'd do my best to keep Leblanc and Eller.
Desharnais is showing more upside than Eller despite his size. And all the scouts say Leblanc will be a winger and not centre in the NHL. Other scouts have said Bournival is more NHL-ready than Leblanc. So I think it would be a big mistake to trade Bournival and/or Desharnais.

Old
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I disagree with this. I think Dallas made a good trade getting Goligoski. I know I am the only one, but I think he is a gonna be a great PMD for years to come. Only 9points behind Neal this year, so I don't think the Neal trade was based only on finances, pretty good trade imo. They traded for a need by dealing from a position of strength. I'm not seeing the fleecing everyone else is.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Desharnais is showing more upside than Eller despite his size. And all the scouts say Leblanc will be a winger and not centre in the NHL. Other scouts have said Bournival is more NHL-ready than Leblanc. So I think it would be a big mistake to trade Bournival and/or Desharnais.
I disagree with this part. Please keep in mind that Desharnais is 3 years older and has been playing as a pro in North America for what 4years?

I'd give DD before Eller anyday of the week even though I like David.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I disagree with this part. Please keep in mind that Desharnais is 3 years older and has been playing as a pro in North America for what 4years?

I'd give DD before Eller anyday of the week even though I like David.
I'd hold on to Eller over Desharnais if I had to pick.

Old
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Same here. If the Habs picked DD over Eller, they'd live to regret it. I see a lot of upside in Eller. Hopefully they can keep both, but if they're trying to trade for a top 6 established player...they won't be able to keep both.

Old
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
LastRide

You can't question Eller's work ethic. That said, I don't know if he will ever be more than a good 3rd or 4th line player. He doesn't have the hands to be a goal scorer. DD has the better hands for goals and a better passer. Eller works a little harder. 13 points 6G/7A for DD in 22 games, 4 minutes in penalties and is a +4. 10 points for Eller 3G/7A in 56 games, 30 minutes in penalties and is a -4. DD is on a way better pace. Yeah, Eller is a little younger. Its a tough call.

Last edited by LastRide: 02-23-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old
02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
FeelsLike93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
You can't question Eller's work ethic. That said, I don't know if he will ever be more than a good 3rd or 4th line player. He doesn't have the hands to be a goal scorer. DD has the better hands for goals and a better passer. Eller works a little harder. 13 points 6G/7A for DD in 22 games. 10 points for Eller 3G/7A in 56 games. DD is on a way better pace. Yeah, Eller is a little younger. Its a tough call.
lol wut? Eller played maybe a few games at center with putrid linemates, his first game with a good one and he produced. Eller has good size and driving ability to the net to be a good goal scorer as well as a playmaker. If a trade came up and we had to pick you keep Eller i wouldn't go as far to say its a tough call

Old
02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
It's a no brainer IMO. Take Eller and never look back.

Closed Thread