Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jared Spurgeon

Old
02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Jared Spurgeon

Hello Wild fans ! I just wandered, when Zidlicky will be back, will Spurgeon be send down ? How he is doing so far? Thanx ! And what about Scandella?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Scandella would be sent down and Barker would probably become a healthy scratch. Scandella looked decent but probably should have stayed in Houston, and he's been out with a concussion for a few weeks now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Scandella would be sent down and Barker would probably become a healthy scratch. Scandella looked decent but probably should have stayed in Houston, and he's been out with a concussion for a few weeks now.
Yep that's about how its looking, barring us trading a D.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Spurgeon will be the scratch, not Barker.

The biggest advantage of the Wild's defense is that they are big and physical. Burns is extremely strong. Zanon is gritty. Schultz is tough. And Stoner has brought a punishing presence that the Wild haven't really ever had on the blueline.

Zidlicky plays big for his size, but not enough to be a physical force.

That's why Barker will probably get most the games over Spurgeon. He's been playing well lately.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:50 PM
saywut

Depends on if we break up Zanon-Stoner. We've seen how Barker and Stoner play together, it simply will not cut it. Barker would be a better fit with Zidlicky than Spurgeon, but Spurgeon's a better option to play with Stoner if Richards decides to re-unite the Z-fence.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Spurgeon can play defense, Barker can't. Spurgeon can be physical, Barker can't. Spurgeon can play on the PP, Barker can't. There's literally nothing that Barker can do that Spurgeon can't do better, aside from being tall.

Old
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Spurgeon can play defense, Barker can't. Spurgeon can be physical, Barker can't. Spurgeon can play on the PP, Barker can't. There's literally nothing that Barker can do that Spurgeon can't do better, aside from being tall.
sorry, spurgeon looks really really bad when he tires to be physical.
barker doesn't even try and just by getting in the way is more effective in that regard.
i know you love the little guy, but there are some things he isn't good at.

edit: that said I think it might come down to a matchup decision as far as scratching goes. I don't think either one is irreplaceable on a night-by-night basis.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Barker's the scratch.

The times where Spurgeon has to be physical are rare, and his ability to move the puck is better than Barker's. He's probably got the most hockey sense on the blueline, and what you're asking out of him, your 5th D, isn't rocket surgery.

You keep him playing, because I have a feeling that if asked, he could handle a ton of ice time because he's that solid. If he's 5'11" and 5'8", we're drooling over him.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
nickschultzfan

Why haven't they developed player merging technology yet? Seriously.

Bargeon would be an awesome player. All the naturally size and strength of Barker, with the brains, hands, and skating of Spurgeon.

O'Sulliak would be equally as awesome. The talent and offensive ability of O'Sullivan mixed with effort, grit, and strength of Brodziak.

Gillichard as well.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Why haven't they developed player merging technology yet? Seriously.

Bargeon would be an awesome player. All the naturally size and strength of Barker, with the brains, hands, and skating of Spurgeon.

O'Sulliak would be equally as awesome. The talent and offensive ability of O'Sullivan mixed with effort, grit, and strength of Brodziak.

Gillichard as well.
Good ideas all. Perhaps the Wild should invest in a team of vivisectionists instead of scouts. There's gotta be a use for Hnat Domenichelli in this vision.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Good ideas all. Perhaps the Wild should invest in a team of vivisectionists instead of scouts. There's gotta be a use for Hnat Domenichelli in this vision.
Be honest, you just wanted a reason to bring up Hnat Domenichelli because of his wicked name. I was blown away when I found out he was born and raised in Canada with a name like that. Like I am equally shocked to find out that Doug Murray is a Swedish player. I miss my continuity of stereo types and profiling.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:13 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I though Hnat was Swiss. Didn't he play for them in the Olympics?
EDIT: Canadian who married a Swiss national. Okay, back to Spurgeon

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I have to say, I'm rooting for a 3rd pairing of Spurgeon-Stoner moving forward. A big, physical, beat-your-ass-down defenseman paired with the small, puck moving, offensively-inclined guy.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:57 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I have to say, I'm rooting for a 3rd pairing of Spurgeon-Stoner moving forward. A big, physical, beat-your-ass-down defenseman paired with the small, puck moving, offensively-inclined guy.
have they been paired yet? I didnt get to watch last night's game ( was at mavs - bulldogs )

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Stoner plays with Zanon right now. Spurgeon was with Barker, now I'm not sure with Zidlicky coming back.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Stoner plays with Zanon right now. Spurgeon was with Barker, now I'm not sure with Zidlicky coming back.
i hope they put barker with zids. I think i'm one of the few that felt Zfence was irresponsible

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
State of Hockey

Spurgeon was still with Barker, but his dwindling ice time indicates that he will the one out of the lineup when Zidlicky is full strength.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:19 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Spurgeon will be the scratch, not Barker.

The biggest advantage of the Wild's defense is that they are big and physical. Burns is extremely strong. Zanon is gritty. Schultz is tough. And Stoner has brought a punishing presence that the Wild haven't really ever had on the blueline.

Zidlicky plays big for his size, but not enough to be a physical force.

That's why Barker will probably get most the games over Spurgeon. He's been playing well lately.
No way in hell. Spurgeon has been outplaying Barker big-time and has been getting more ice-time than Barker. Barker would be the one getting the pop-corn for Fletcher if either were to be scratched. I do think we will see a lot of what Richards did last night through... dress 7 D-men.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:55 PM
The Fuhr*

1st NHL goal tonight

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
I look at this kid and can't believe he is a pro hockey player. His success should give hope to all undersized, baby-faced hockey players out there.

Pic from Russo's blog:

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i still think Spurgeon should be a little afraid of Russo.

Old
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I look at this kid and can't believe he is a pro hockey player. His success should give hope to all undersized, baby-faced hockey players out there.

Pic from Russo's blog:
This kid has what so many NHL players WISH they had... GREAT HOCKEY SENSE! He's one of the smartest hockey players out there IMO. That's what allows him to make up for his lack of size.

Bruno's big butt allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies, Spurgeon's hockey smarts allows him to overcome his size deficiencies.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
This kid has what so many NHL players WISH they had... GREAT HOCKEY SENSE! He's one of the smartest hockey players out there IMO. That's what allows him to make up for his lack of size.

Bruno's big butt allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies, Spurgeon's hockey smarts allows him to overcome his size deficiencies.
I would also add that Bruno's big butt and his hockey IQ allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies.

If Spurgeon has a future in the NHL, and I think he does, he needs to work with (that chic that helped Letang) this summer and get his own skating improved. If he puts on a bit more speed, he's got a bright future.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think his skating is pretty dang good. If I were him, I'd focus on my shot and puck control at the point. If he can get moving with the puck and be a bit more evasive (confidence helps too, he's getting better) but more importantly get a strong, quick shot at the point, he'll have an NHL career.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

LOL i think it's the opposite--i think he's evasive enough when he wants to be (there are clearly spots where he get's hit to make the play instead of dodging out of the way) but his foot speed is lacking. Maybe it's just fine, but he's small so he looks like he should be moving faster? He definitely needs some speed.