HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jared Spurgeon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2011, 10:56 AM
  #1
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
Jared Spurgeon

Hello Wild fans ! I just wandered, when Zidlicky will be back, will Spurgeon be send down ? How he is doing so far? Thanx ! And what about Scandella?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
  #2
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,008
vCash: 500
Scandella would be sent down and Barker would probably become a healthy scratch. Scandella looked decent but probably should have stayed in Houston, and he's been out with a concussion for a few weeks now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
  #3
El Nino22
Registered User
 
El Nino22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Scandella would be sent down and Barker would probably become a healthy scratch. Scandella looked decent but probably should have stayed in Houston, and he's been out with a concussion for a few weeks now.
Yep that's about how its looking, barring us trading a D.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:28 PM
  #4
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
Spurgeon will be the scratch, not Barker.

The biggest advantage of the Wild's defense is that they are big and physical. Burns is extremely strong. Zanon is gritty. Schultz is tough. And Stoner has brought a punishing presence that the Wild haven't really ever had on the blueline.

Zidlicky plays big for his size, but not enough to be a physical force.

That's why Barker will probably get most the games over Spurgeon. He's been playing well lately.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:50 PM
  #5
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Depends on if we break up Zanon-Stoner. We've seen how Barker and Stoner play together, it simply will not cut it. Barker would be a better fit with Zidlicky than Spurgeon, but Spurgeon's a better option to play with Stoner if Richards decides to re-unite the Z-fence.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:37 PM
  #6
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,008
vCash: 500
Spurgeon can play defense, Barker can't. Spurgeon can be physical, Barker can't. Spurgeon can play on the PP, Barker can't. There's literally nothing that Barker can do that Spurgeon can't do better, aside from being tall.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM
  #7
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 23,845
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Spurgeon can play defense, Barker can't. Spurgeon can be physical, Barker can't. Spurgeon can play on the PP, Barker can't. There's literally nothing that Barker can do that Spurgeon can't do better, aside from being tall.
sorry, spurgeon looks really really bad when he tires to be physical.
barker doesn't even try and just by getting in the way is more effective in that regard.
i know you love the little guy, but there are some things he isn't good at.

edit: that said I think it might come down to a matchup decision as far as scratching goes. I don't think either one is irreplaceable on a night-by-night basis.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
  #8
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Barker's the scratch.

The times where Spurgeon has to be physical are rare, and his ability to move the puck is better than Barker's. He's probably got the most hockey sense on the blueline, and what you're asking out of him, your 5th D, isn't rocket surgery.

You keep him playing, because I have a feeling that if asked, he could handle a ton of ice time because he's that solid. If he's 5'11" and 5'8", we're drooling over him.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
  #9
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
Why haven't they developed player merging technology yet? Seriously.

Bargeon would be an awesome player. All the naturally size and strength of Barker, with the brains, hands, and skating of Spurgeon.

O'Sulliak would be equally as awesome. The talent and offensive ability of O'Sullivan mixed with effort, grit, and strength of Brodziak.

Gillichard as well.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:40 AM
  #10
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,061
vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Why haven't they developed player merging technology yet? Seriously.

Bargeon would be an awesome player. All the naturally size and strength of Barker, with the brains, hands, and skating of Spurgeon.

O'Sulliak would be equally as awesome. The talent and offensive ability of O'Sullivan mixed with effort, grit, and strength of Brodziak.

Gillichard as well.
Good ideas all. Perhaps the Wild should invest in a team of vivisectionists instead of scouts. There's gotta be a use for Hnat Domenichelli in this vision.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:05 PM
  #11
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Good ideas all. Perhaps the Wild should invest in a team of vivisectionists instead of scouts. There's gotta be a use for Hnat Domenichelli in this vision.
Be honest, you just wanted a reason to bring up Hnat Domenichelli because of his wicked name. I was blown away when I found out he was born and raised in Canada with a name like that. Like I am equally shocked to find out that Doug Murray is a Swedish player. I miss my continuity of stereo types and profiling.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:13 PM
  #12
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,854
vCash: 500
I though Hnat was Swiss. Didn't he play for them in the Olympics?
EDIT: Canadian who married a Swiss national. Okay, back to Spurgeon

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
  #13
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 12,034
vCash: 500
I have to say, I'm rooting for a 3rd pairing of Spurgeon-Stoner moving forward. A big, physical, beat-your-ass-down defenseman paired with the small, puck moving, offensively-inclined guy.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:57 PM
  #14
pbunder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I have to say, I'm rooting for a 3rd pairing of Spurgeon-Stoner moving forward. A big, physical, beat-your-ass-down defenseman paired with the small, puck moving, offensively-inclined guy.
have they been paired yet? I didnt get to watch last night's game ( was at mavs - bulldogs )

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
  #15
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 12,034
vCash: 500
Stoner plays with Zanon right now. Spurgeon was with Barker, now I'm not sure with Zidlicky coming back.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:03 PM
  #16
pbunder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Stoner plays with Zanon right now. Spurgeon was with Barker, now I'm not sure with Zidlicky coming back.
i hope they put barker with zids. I think i'm one of the few that felt Zfence was irresponsible

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
  #17
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,370
vCash: 500
Spurgeon was still with Barker, but his dwindling ice time indicates that he will the one out of the lineup when Zidlicky is full strength.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2011, 01:19 AM
  #18
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Spurgeon will be the scratch, not Barker.

The biggest advantage of the Wild's defense is that they are big and physical. Burns is extremely strong. Zanon is gritty. Schultz is tough. And Stoner has brought a punishing presence that the Wild haven't really ever had on the blueline.

Zidlicky plays big for his size, but not enough to be a physical force.

That's why Barker will probably get most the games over Spurgeon. He's been playing well lately.
No way in hell. Spurgeon has been outplaying Barker big-time and has been getting more ice-time than Barker. Barker would be the one getting the pop-corn for Fletcher if either were to be scratched. I do think we will see a lot of what Richards did last night through... dress 7 D-men.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2011, 10:55 PM
  #19
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
1st NHL goal tonight

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
  #20
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,061
vCash: 728
I look at this kid and can't believe he is a pro hockey player. His success should give hope to all undersized, baby-faced hockey players out there.

Pic from Russo's blog:

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
  #21
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 23,845
vCash: 50
i still think Spurgeon should be a little afraid of Russo.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 06:28 PM
  #22
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I look at this kid and can't believe he is a pro hockey player. His success should give hope to all undersized, baby-faced hockey players out there.

Pic from Russo's blog:
This kid has what so many NHL players WISH they had... GREAT HOCKEY SENSE! He's one of the smartest hockey players out there IMO. That's what allows him to make up for his lack of size.

Bruno's big butt allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies, Spurgeon's hockey smarts allows him to overcome his size deficiencies.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
  #23
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
This kid has what so many NHL players WISH they had... GREAT HOCKEY SENSE! He's one of the smartest hockey players out there IMO. That's what allows him to make up for his lack of size.

Bruno's big butt allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies, Spurgeon's hockey smarts allows him to overcome his size deficiencies.
I would also add that Bruno's big butt and his hockey IQ allows him to overcome his skating deficiencies.

If Spurgeon has a future in the NHL, and I think he does, he needs to work with (that chic that helped Letang) this summer and get his own skating improved. If he puts on a bit more speed, he's got a bright future.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
  #24
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,008
vCash: 500
I think his skating is pretty dang good. If I were him, I'd focus on my shot and puck control at the point. If he can get moving with the puck and be a bit more evasive (confidence helps too, he's getting better) but more importantly get a strong, quick shot at the point, he'll have an NHL career.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
  #25
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 23,845
vCash: 50
LOL i think it's the opposite--i think he's evasive enough when he wants to be (there are clearly spots where he get's hit to make the play instead of dodging out of the way) but his foot speed is lacking. Maybe it's just fine, but he's small so he looks like he should be moving faster? He definitely needs some speed.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.