HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upshall suspended two games

Old
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
hollywood42

vCash: 500
i disagree with the suspension

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It was reckless and stupid, thus got disciplined

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
I dont agree, if he was standing directly infront of the net where the forwards crash it would be a little easier to justify, but bart was 3 feet to the side of the net, the puck was already frozen, and he wasnt engaged with anyone in the play, if scottie's intention was to crash the net he woulda came in looking for the puck, not headed straight for a guy in a vulnerable position that really had nothing to do with the play concerning the coyotes
Bob froze it like right at Bart's feet... and it was JUST frozen.

That was Bartulis being rusty from not having a lot of game action lately and getting *ed by live fire. That was not anything truly egregious by Upshall... he's crashing the net and got in there a bit too hard and late and it was a penalty. 90% of the time there's a collision and jousting to follow there.

Last edited by Jester: 02-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 08:56 PM
hollywood42

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It was reckless and stupid, thus got disciplined
pretty harsh discipline for a first time offender
and im a flyers fan

im not making a case for the slimeball
but the league did nothing when crosby got headshots in 2 straight games and hasnt played since

the suspension was only because bartulis is hurt
but the hit itself while late he landed funny into the boards

hollywood42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob froze it like right at Bart's feet... and it was JUST frozen.

That was Bartulis being rusty from not having a lot of game action lately and getting *ed by live fire. That was not anything truly egregious by Upshall... he's crashing the net and got in there a bit too hard and late and it was a penalty. 90% of the time there's a collision and jousting to follow there.
This is also Bartulis turning to make sure Bob has the puck fully covered. Watch it again...Bob makes the save, puck drops right near Bart's stick as he's turning toward Bob. He's taking a moment to make sure he actually has it, and then gets DESTROYED by Upshall.

There's no reason to make that hit. It isn't a hockey play in the slightest. A hit like that is dangerous, and less egregious things have been suspended.

In today's NHL - whether you agree with it or not - that's textbook for a suspension.

It's a dumb, dangerous play by Upshall (not malicious but dumb). If you want to blame it on Bartulis, I'm just going to chalk this up to you being stubborn again...because I really don't think that's the case, or fair anyway. Even if it is on him to turn and look, Upshall is coming at a stationary Bartulis so fast that he's going to get creamed anyway, so the responsibility is on Scottie, not Bartulis.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
This is also Bartulis turning to make sure Bob has the puck fully covered.
You're the D, you don't worry about that. You turn around and play the man... that's the VERY point I'm making.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:08 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
You're the D, you don't worry about that. You turn around and play the man... that's the VERY point I'm making.
Not always...very often, your job is to help out with rebounds. If that puck skips out when Bob is that far out of the net, it's dangerous.

And like I said, EVEN IF you want to say Bartulis should have ignored the puck and turned to catch the man, he was going to get *ing wrecked on something that IS NOT A HOCKEY PLAY.

But you're not going to change your mind anyway, so there's not much sense in debating it with you.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
This is also Bartulis turning to make sure Bob has the puck fully covered. Watch it again...Bob makes the save, puck drops right near Bart's stick as he's turning toward Bob. He's taking a moment to make sure he actually has it, and then gets DESTROYED by Upshall.

There's no reason to make that hit. It isn't a hockey play in the slightest. A hit like that is dangerous, and less egregious things have been suspended.

In today's NHL - whether you agree with it or not - that's textbook for a suspension.

It's a dumb, dangerous play by Upshall (not malicious but dumb). If you want to blame it on Bartulis, I'm just going to chalk this up to you being stubborn again...because I really don't think that's the case, or fair anyway. Even if it is on him to turn and look, Upshall is coming at a stationary Bartulis so fast that he's going to get creamed anyway, so the responsibility is on Scottie, not Bartulis.
totally agree with everything you said...

Im also a little biased because I felt bad for bart.... the guy gets his his first chance in a long time, hes been working hard, waiting it out for his chance, always says the right things, looked great in the first period and then this bull**** happens.... I was disgusted

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
BernieParent

I'm with Jester on this. It was a charge and was penalized as such. Once again the NHL administers justice based on results not action.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm with Jester on this. It was a charge and was penalized as such. Once again the NHL administers justice based on results not action.
I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with the NHL's reasoning in general, but in this case, that hit is textbook for what they suspend every time. That they put the responsibility on the hitting player most times and judge suspensions based on injury is well known.

It doesn't make it Bartulis' fault. The fact remains that it wasn't a hockey play in the least, so it's certainly open to interpretation - which in the NHL, for this sort of thing, often means a major or suspension.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:14 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Bartulis is done for the season

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I this justice was based on trying to eliminate uneaded garbage hits like this from the game, set an example for the next guy that wants to be tough and drill and unsuspecting player after a whistle.

Old
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
RoDu

Are any Phantoms even remotely worthy of a call up?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:24 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I wonder how many upshall fans are gonna be left after this?

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Are any Phantoms even remotely worthy of a call up?
Id like to see gustaffson get called up, but I dont think they will

Old
02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
StandingCow

Wow, I didn't expect this at all... suspension by result?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I wonder how many upshall fans are gonna be left after this?
He was getting booed pretty soundly every time he touched the puck after that hit.

Old
02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with the NHL's reasoning in general, but in this case, that hit is textbook for what they suspend every time. That they put the responsibility on the hitting player most times and judge suspensions based on injury is well known.

It doesn't make it Bartulis' fault. The fact remains that it wasn't a hockey play in the least, so it's certainly open to interpretation - which in the NHL, for this sort of thing, often means a major or suspension.
'Textbook'? That's a bit much. Upshall was heading to where the puck was, Bartulis was too close to the puck to put down his defenses, and Upshall hit him late. Agree to disagree.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:13 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
He was getting booed pretty soundly every time he touched the puck after that hit.

Yeah, **** that guy. That hit was completely unnecessary.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Jimmy Villa

It is interesting. I think if any other player from the Yotes makes the identical hit, ALL Flyers would be saying the suspension is worthy.

Because it was Upshall, there are still some saying it is hard lines.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats **** about Upshall, and I still think the suspension is slightly harsh.

If Bart gets up and continues playing, would the suspension have been forthcoming? I don't think so.

Therefore the suspension is based on the injury IMO, not the act itself, and that is harsh on Upshall, who didn't mean to inure him.

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:16 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
It is interesting. I think if any other player from the Yotes makes the identical hit, ALL Flyers would be saying the suspension is worthy.

Personally, I couldn't give a rats **** about Upshall, and I still think the suspension is slightly harsh.

If Bart gets up and continues playing, would the suspension have been forthcoming? I don't think so.

Therefore the suspension is based on the injury IMO, not the act itself, and that is harsh on Upshall, who didn't mean to inure him.
Not true. Barts was so far away from the boards.. that I don't see how it could even be boarding.... roughing maybe.

Had barts not been injured on the play, I doubt there would be any suspension... hell I doubt there would have been a 2 min minor.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Not true. Barts was so far away from the boards.. that I don't see how it could even be boarding.... roughing maybe.

Had barts not been injured on the play, I doubt there would be any suspension... hell I doubt there would have been a 2 min minor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post

So, we've said the same thing in different ways......how is it not true?

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Snipsnap12

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

Id say this says it all

Old
02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Lol yeah, that's exactly what you worry about, clearing the god damn rebound.
What can he even do by "playing the body"? The net-crashing Phoenix players would've gotten to the puck, if it would have been a bigger rebound, anyhow because he was standing and they were coming in pretty fast.

It's 100% Upshall's fault, there's no way you drive a defending player who's standing there through the boards like he did. You just don't see this very often, because the players who crash the net usually hit the breaks to be able to play the puck if the rebound gets to them. Upshall just drove through to hit Bartulis.

To say it's Bartulis' fault is ridiculous.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Bartulis should have been more prepared, but it is still Upshall's fault completely

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote