Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 12:07 AM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
In regards to their physical play, I remember Darren Eliot saying something earlier in the year that Ramsey doesn't really preach hitting at all. He's not against it but it's not something he puts a premium on so to speak.
Yep. I remember that. And I think Ramsay is completely wrong in that regard. I'm not suggesting playing like the 76 Flyers or anything, but this team has no physical edge. They shy away from contact, and it's to a man. Even Bogosian, who was touted as something of a hitter coming out of juniors, doesn't really play the body anymore. Byfuglien, who may very well be the strongest guy in the league, doesn't hit.

This club needs a stronger direction. Ramsay's a nice guy, but he doesn't have the fire-and-brimstone that they need. I'm officially in the Fire Ramsay camp. MacTavish, Iron Mike, Torchetti, or hell, even Hartley are better options at this point.

I understand what some of y'all are saying about ownership issues trickling into the locker room. But I've been a part of scenes like this in the minor leagues, and good coaches use it as motivation. These guys treat it like a reason to stay home from the prom.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Here's the core as I see it:

Enstrom
Byfuglien
Ladd
Kane
Little
Wheeler
Burmistrov

Good Guys to Have Around:
Thorburn
Slater
Boulton
Stewart
Bergfors
Bogosian?
Stuart
Antropov
Hainsey

Completely Replaceable:
Modin
Stapleton
Sopel
Oduya
Mason

With a different coaching staff, I can see Bogosian, Bergfors, and Stewart join the core.

But BTN is right: this team has the exact same problems it has always had. For all the talk about how tough this club was supposed to be to play against, they're Charmin soft.
Not a bad break down. I have to say after doing all the research I have done on Dudley, I would add Stuart (the defenseman) to the core. Dudley and Ramsey both seem to really have a thing for him. Also I'd move Bergfors to the replaceable pile, just my 2 cents from what I've gathered.

Oh, and I think that if the team loses on Friday and Sunday they'll be sellers on Monday. If they win both I think Dudley will make a move to buy someone.

If we lose, I think players could be moved on Monday to open up slots to start allowing younger kids to get more playing time.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Exactly how many more kids are you planning on calling up? We have nearly two lines of AHL level kids in the lineup right now.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
RoyalAir
Always the Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Exactly how many more kids are you planning on calling up? We have nearly two lines of AHL level kids in the lineup right now.
Just looking at realistic, relatively easy trades, I'd say scratch Sopel and Oduya, add Postma and Kulda for the rest of the season. Hell, I'd even go so far as seeing what Petterson can do down the stretch.

The team can't be any worse. May as well take stock to see what needs to stay in the system, and what needs to go. I've got to believe that Dudley will look for a new affiliate in the offseason. Whether he finds one or not is a different story.

Assuming Ramsay keeps his job over the summer and the team stays in Atlanta, I think there needs to be a serious discussion about the inter-divisional woes this club has. They are completely incapable of beating Tampa or Raleigh, and that's ultimately going to be what keeps them out of the postseason. There has got to be a contingency plan on how to defeat those teams with some degree of regularity. We play each divisional team what, six times? Between the two of 'em, we've given up like 20 possible points. Not acceptable.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Yep. I remember that. And I think Ramsay is completely wrong in that regard. I'm not suggesting playing like the 76 Flyers or anything, but this team has no physical edge. They shy away from contact, and it's to a man. Even Bogosian, who was touted as something of a hitter coming out of juniors, doesn't really play the body anymore. Byfuglien, who may very well be the strongest guy in the league, doesn't hit.

This club needs a stronger direction. Ramsay's a nice guy, but he doesn't have the fire-and-brimstone that they need. I'm officially in the Fire Ramsay camp. MacTavish, Iron Mike, Torchetti, or hell, even Hartley are better options at this point.

I understand what some of y'all are saying about ownership issues trickling into the locker room. But I've been a part of scenes like this in the minor leagues, and good coaches use it as motivation. These guys treat it like a reason to stay home from the prom.
It's the one thing that has bothered me about Ramsey ALL year. If we had played more physical this year, Bogo would be plastering guys to the glass every night and Buff would have probably sent several guys through the glass at this point. We need to play more physical.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
If, and I stress IF they go into sell mode, I think you could possibly see Holzapfel, Pettersson, and Esposito brought up as fwds and Postma and Kulda brought up on D. Here would be my guess

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Antro-Stewart
Pettersson-Rissmiller-Machacek
Holzapfel/Esposito-Stapleton-Boulton

Buff-Enstrom
Hainsey-Bogo
Stuart-Postma/Kulda

Our Top 6 fwds and Top 2 D pairings don't change. I agree there are already a lot of AHLers and kids playing already, but adding the players I suggested is not going to make a whole lot of difference from who is playing right now the way this team is playing. Holzapfel, Esposito, and Pettersson are all probably bottom 6 players in the NHL if they ever play in the NHL, why not give them a chance to see if they can do it.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:37 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
In regards to their physical play, I remember Darren Eliot saying something earlier in the year that Ramsey doesn't really preach hitting at all. He's not against it but it's not something he puts a premium on so to speak.
Somebody has GOT to knock it into their ****ing skulls that they need to lay some hits on people.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
toph2o

This team is in that dreaded middle ground (again)... within sight of the playoffs, but they also could easily end up drafting in the top 4-6 (again).

Closed Thread