Steelheads looking for a new coach

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
StudHamster

vCash: 500
Steelheads looking for a new coach

http://www.idahosteelheads.com/read_more.cfm

BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads, affiliate of the NHL’s Dallas Stars and the AHL’s Iowa Stars announced today, that VP of hockey operations and head coach, John Olver, has resigned from his position, effective immediately. The 46-year-old Olver just completed his fifth season with the Steelheads, leading the team to a 42-23-7 mark in 2004-2005.

“When I started to be true to myself and true to this organization, I really felt like I was not able to give the amount of energy necessary to do this job,” Olver said. “I really think its time for me to pass the torch to someone else. And at the same time, I feel that I have a once in the lifetime opportunity for a short period of time – the next four or five years – to potentially coach my two boys and reunite my family.”

Olver, who was named to his positions on May 27, 2000, is applying for the job of associate head coach with Northern Michigan University’s men’s ice hockey program. If hired, he would begin working with the Wildcats this season. Olver’s oldest son, Darin, will be a junior at Northern Michigan this fall, while his youngest son, Mark, is committed to attend the university in the fall of 2006. Last season, Darin led the NCAA Division I Wildcats in scoring with 43 points in 40 games.

“This is a sad day for the organization, as we are going to miss John immensely,” Steelheads’ Senior VP, Eric Trapp said. “We look forward to trying to duplicate the success that John brought us over the last five years. Our ownership group will use the resources of John Olver, the ECHL and the Dallas Stars to find a worthy replacement.”

A native of British Columbia, Olver compiled a 228-100-32 regular season record in his five seasons behind the bench, including an 82-46-16 mark in the Steelheads’ two ECHL seasons. In 2004, the Steelheads captured the Kelly Cup, awarded to the champions of the ECHL, after a 13-5 postseason run. On May 23, 2005, Olver signed a new, three-year deal with the Steelheads, which would have kept him behind the bench through the 2007-2008 season.

“The reality is I wouldn’t have [resigned from the Steelheads] if I was leaving Boise, because I love Boise and my wife and family love it here,” Olver added. “Boise will be our permanent residence. If things work out at Northern Michigan, I’ll be able to return here in the summers.”

Steelheads’ season ticket packages for the 2005-2006 campaign are on sale now! You can purchase tickets by calling 208-383-0080. A variety of packages are available, including Full Season Tickets, Flex Plans, Suite Rentals, Group Outings and a NEW 12-pack weekend mini plan.

Last edited by Sotnos: 07-15-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added link, please be sure to put the link next time
Old
07-23-2005, 12:44 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Still looking for a coach, the longer we wait the more I worry who will they pick, I just hope they pick someone soon!!!

By the way, any clue what players Dallas will send to play in Idaho?

Old
07-23-2005, 01:49 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Still looking for a coach, the longer we wait the more I worry who will they pick, I just hope they pick someone soon!!!

By the way, any clue what players Dallas will send to play in Idaho?
It's going to depend if Iowa takes on some of Edmonton's prospects or not.

Closed Thread