HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Ducks - 02/23/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Wow playing against his old team too. Can you say motivated? Kid is a monster
Schenn is on a mission, I think he won't be denied next year. Had he gotten a couple good bounces this year; while on the roster he would have had four goals in nine games with the Kings.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:41 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
I hate complaining after a big win, but this Marco Sturm thing is a real pain. One thing I hate is when people say "well, he just needs some time.." Why on Earth would we acquire a player who we KNOW needs time in the midst of our playoff push? It makes no sense, and now he's taking ice time away from better hockey players (Loktinov.) We need players that can perform NOW, not later.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:41 AM
onlyalad

Just got home from Staples south. I don't know if there were more Kings fans but they were louder.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I hate complaining after a big win, but this Marco Sturm thing is a real pain. One thing I hate is when people say "well, he just needs some time.." Why on Earth would we acquire a player who we KNOW needs time in the midst of our playoff push? It makes no sense, and now he's taking ice time away from better hockey players (Loktinov.)
Cause we gave up nothing to get a Roster player that has put up 20 goal seasons pretty consistently.

I like Loki but once the game started to get heavy he got pushed off the puck. Id rather have a vet like Sturm in there.

Id rather Loki make the bulk of his mistakes in the AHL. Not every King is doughty/JJ You have to give these guys time down in Manchester.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It is because the team still can't score goals. They were out shot 27-18 tonight against a team missing their top two centers and top goalie.

21 goals in 10 games is not good enough. The goalies and defensemen have to play almost perfect hockey to give the Kings a chance to win.

Most are happy that the Kings are back in the top eight, but the Kings have had two major downswings this season when the defense falters. I would like to see some offensive creativity in the Kings game.
Come playoff time, offense dries up league-wide anyway. Give me the team that can win games scoring 2 goals over the one that needs to trade punches any day.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Come playoff time, offense dries up league-wide anyway. Give me the team that can win games scoring 2 goals over the one that needs to trade punches any day.
I think people have already forgot that had Quick been rested; and the Defense held a freakin lead. The Kings would have knocked Van out of the playoff's last year.

With basically No five on five scoring to speak of.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I think people have already forgot that had Quick been rested; and the Defense held a freakin lead. The Kings would have knocked Van out of the playoff's last year.

This game was the turning point: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2010042108

We scored plenty of goals in that series, our defense was the culprit.

Without that third-period collapse, we're up 3-1 in the series. Ah, what could've been...

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:26 AM
volcom92886

Just got back from Honda center....

-Really good atmosphere. It seemed about 50/50 as far as kings fans v ducks fans. Kings fans were much louder however.

-Kings didnt bring their A-game but found a way to win!
-Kings should have shot more, they had a goalie who was getting lit up as of late and it seemed as they were hesitant to shoot.

-Were the refs even watching the game? There were numerous interfernces and holds that were not called. Oh well cant really complain when you win!

-DD44 looked really off. I know he hasnt played in forever but he looked pretty bad!

volcom92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Winger23

So when does Brown get benched? TM benched Martinez for not "playing heavy" yet DB didn't do a damn thing tonight other than turn the puck over. The dude needs to be f'ing driving people through the boards if he's gonna play like this.

Lokti gets sent down because every game is important, yet sturm is allowed 1st line time when he clearly isn't ready for the role. A 2 week conditioning assignment would have been the right call for the dude. And I don't give a damn if he has averaged 20 goals a season in the past, it's what have you done for me lately during this playoff push.

Kings got really lucky with this win facing a team without their 2 most valuable players on their team. Hopefully they pick up the play against the wild tomorrow night at home.

Huge win though, every game against the pacific teams are going to be so big.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Winger23

Quote:

If the kings would have had this years power play unit during that series it would have been a sweep with 3 shutouts....

speaking of which, how the hell do they not get a single PP all game long? In fact the only PP of the game was a horse **** call on westgarth after the play was over.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
volcom92886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
speaking of which, how the hell do they not get a single PP all game long? In fact the only PP of the game was a horse **** call on westgarth after the play was over.
I honestly dont know. It seemed like the refs were letting the teams play. However, there were several non-calls which were blatantly a penalty but were not called.

volcom92886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:55 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
This game was the turning point: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2010042108

We scored plenty of goals in that series, our defense was the culprit.

Without that third-period collapse, we're up 3-1 in the series. Ah, what could've been...
The whole series momentum changed when Luongo stopped Frolov on that breakaway. If Frolov deked like he did 2-3 weeks earlier that series was done.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:47 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Steal A Win At Anaheim

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: LA Kings Steal A Win At Anaheim

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:34 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Willy with the GWG. Love it.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
So when does Brown get benched? TM benched Martinez for not "playing heavy" yet DB didn't do a damn thing tonight other than turn the puck over. The dude needs to be f'ing driving people through the boards if he's gonna play like this.
GG yes. Every time he touches the puck, the play's dead. At times Brown was just painful to watch.

Stoked about the win, but like others have said, we were playing against a depleted team, and the "offensive creativity" was a bit lacking to say the least.

Quick was stellar again - I like being able to not worry about him. He's back on his game.

6-1-3 roadtrip? just AWESOME!! Asking for more would have been greedy. And who would have guessed before the trip that the ONLY regulation loss would be to the NYI?

Although really, in a 10-game roadtrip, being able to go home twice must take the sting out of the travel just a bit.

Just keep it going tonight vs. Minn.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
nocturn

God I love Clifford. Why do I have the feeling Probbie is looking down at Cliff and giving him a wink and a nod. That kid has 24's mana in him, I swear it.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
My only question is: Did Twzking ever find a lighter?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
The whole series momentum changed when Luongo stopped Frolov on that breakaway. If Frolov deked like he did 2-3 weeks earlier that series was done.
he also stopped Brown's breakaway from the blueline the shift prior to that... then Johnson was all alone in the slot and had Luongo dead to rights, and shot it wide after 4 shifts after that.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

How dare they trade McBackup while we were doing so good against him...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Although really, in a 10-game roadtrip, being able to go home twice must take the sting out of the travel just a bit.

Just keep it going tonight vs. Minn.
The first game back home after a long road trip is usually a little lackluster. Let's hope that this was, in effect, that game since we played so close to home. The win was great, but I expect more from the team tonight.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Plus it's Minnesota.

Take the under tonight and bet the farm.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Cause we gave up nothing to get a Roster player that has put up 20 goal seasons pretty consistently.

I like Loki but once the game started to get heavy he got pushed off the puck. Id rather have a vet like Sturm in there.

Id rather Loki make the bulk of his mistakes in the AHL. Not every King is doughty/JJ You have to give these guys time down in Manchester.
So? Just because we gave up nothing means he deserves a roster spot over, who are now, better players? We can get a lot of guys for nothing. That doesn't mean they should be on the team.

And come on.. Don't just repeat whatever Terry Murray says.. This is the same coach that "liked Dwight King on the top line." Loktionov didn't get "exposed" in the Rangers game, that was just his excuse to let Marco play over him.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Even if they had Koivu and Getzlaf in the lineup, I still think we would have won. Anaheim has a better winning streak without Getzlaf.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, but two things.

A) Last year we had a powerplay that didn't suck. Not so this year.

B) If offense dries up league wide, then it generally applies across the board. IE, the teams that scored 4 goals a game now score 2 goals a game. That would mean that teams like score 2 goals a game (us) will then be hard pressed to score 1. Its not like defense cracks down everywhere so that high scoring teams are now low scoring teams and low scoring teams are the no worse for wear.

The offense HAS to pick up somewhere come the playoffs, be it 5-on-5 or the PP because this season we have neither and they don't hand out Stanley Cups for most blocked shots.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Whether Loki plays better or worse in "heavier" games is besides the point.

The point is that Loki brings an element to the team that NO ONE else does. He gives opposing defenseman a different look and with his style of play opens things up for the rest of the team. This team be needing some Loki. You aren't going to learn how to take NHL hits by taking AHL hits.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote