HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Boucher has inside track to be playoff starter

Old
02-24-2011, 09:03 AM
clockwise

vCash: 500
Boucher has inside track to be playoff starter

TP, CSN Philly.

Seravalli and TP alluded to this on DNL before the Yotes game. Would this throw a wrench in the spokes for what some believe is a glide path to the finals? I mean, is Boucher really the going to backstop this team to the Flyers first cup in 35 years?

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
DenverBoone

The answer to your question is no. I'd rather we trade for a goalie,but I don't see that happening.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Pretty sure it's being discussed in here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=882193

Just sayin'

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
The answer to your question is no. I'd rather we trade for a goalie,but I don't see that happening.
No.... there are virtually no goalies available better than what we have right now, I take it you would say vokoun... but really is he that much better than bob or boucher, plus he has hardly any playoff experience. IF you are willing to take on a 6 million dollar goalie and give up more assests from the team to get him, possibly losing some of our depth..... its not worth it at all

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
No.... there are virtually no goalies available better than what we have right now, I take it you would say vokoun... but really is he that much better than bob or boucher, plus he has hardly any playoff experience. IF you are willing to take on a 6 million dollar goalie and give up more assests from the team to get him, possibly losing some of our depth..... its not worth it at all
Is he really that much better than Bob or Boucher?

Are you ****ing serious?

Of course he is better. Considerably.

Still not worth the price tag (in trades or salary) to this current team.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Is he really that much better than Bob or Boucher?

Are you ****ing serious?

Of course he is better. Considerably.

Still not worth the price tag (in trades or salary) to this current team.
QFT

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Terence Peterman

As much as a lot of people probably don't want to admit, this makes more sense than Bob being the guy come playoff time.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
pelts35.com

I suspect that if Boucher does get the nod he will put be on a very short leash, much like what happened in Carolina when Laviolette started the playoffs with Gerber and then switched to Ward.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
As much as a lot of people probably don't want to admit, this makes more sense than Bob being the guy come playoff time.
Agreed. Boosh has been there, played pretty well for us last year, and being able to help your defensemen beat the forecheck is underrated, in terms of making the small simple play back there (the flash long passes are not necessary). Remember when Kunitz kept running Timonen a few years back? How many times do you think we'll see repeats of that if Bob keeps mishandling the puck when players won't hold back at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I suspect that if Boucher does get the nod he will put be on a very short leash, much like what happened in Carolina when Laviolette started the playoffs with Gerber and then switched to Ward.
Makes sense...I still think he won't hesitate to play one or the other depending on who they face round to round, too; he's been doing it all year.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
DickTony

I'm still of the opinion that we would have won a cup if Boosh never got hurt this year

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:22 AM
SgtJoseph

I feel fine with either of our goalies starting in the playoffs, and i never quite bought into the idea that we need to now go get a " true" #1......Any goalie is quite capable of a string of bad games, or good games for that matter come playoff time.Boosh has played very well, and he has proven to be the epitome of a team player, and BOB has done a nice job, he has a lot of grit and seems to rebound after a bad outing which is a great thing to see in a young goalie.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Damaged Goods

Based on play, I'm leaning slightly towards Boosh as the lower risk player. Based on player dynamics, I am leaning slightly towards Bob. If the starter falters at some point, I would feel much more comfortable with Boosh coming off the bench as the second option than the rookie Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I'm still of the opinion that we would have won a cup if Boosh never got hurt this year
It's very likely that they would have lost the Boston series without Leighton stepping in for Boosh and never even gotten to the SCF. You can't just pick and choose your goalie performances in hindsight.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Boosh will be in net come play-off time. Boosh has had the very nice year of not playing too many games. Bob has taken a massive work load from him, so come play-off time, he should be fresh and ready.

Most goaltenders have to play upwards of 50 games, before being thrown into play-off action. Boosh will get significantly less than that, Had he not been injured last year, we are probably celebrating the cup.

Boosh is a fine goaltender for us to win the cup. We don't need a superstar, we need someone that is going to stop the first shot, and not get worried about players crashing the crease. The flyers should take care of the rest.

If Carter turns up in the play-offs, we are one scary team.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:18 AM
phillyfanatic

Not sure about everyone else, but right now - I am very comfortable with Boosh as the playoff goalie. He seems like a big game goalie and we have seen him win playoff series before - including last year (he was great against New Jersey). The great thing about Bob is, he is a rookie who can step in if Boosh falters and is also capable of winning a series. I am good with our goalies for the playoff run. Is it April yet?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:22 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I will say this...when Boucher is in the zone, he is a very capable goalie. I'm not sure that he has the ability to do that for four rounds, unfortunately, but not many goalies can. If he can limit the back-breaking goals, I think we'll be fine.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 08:58 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I think Lavy has matchups as to which goalie players better against what team. And I think he'll choose the best matchup for the first 2 games in the series. So I would say that neither goalie has an inside track, cause they have no idea who they're facing now.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I'm not convinced Lavy will name a playoff starter. Ever. Not even in the playoffs. If he thinks the other guys needs a breather, he's going to get it.

It might work the other way, as in the question we may need to ask is "which guy would be better to bring off the bench?" And in that situation I'd go with Boucher.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm not convinced Lavy will name a playoff starter. Ever. Not even in the playoffs. If he thinks the other guys needs a breather, he's going to get it.

It might work the other way, as in the question we may need to ask is "which guy would be better to bring off the bench?" And in that situation I'd go with Boucher.
As much as I think nothing will be named yet, experience alone leans me toward Boucher.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
In Carolina he flip flopped between Gerber and Ward, so who knows.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Would it really be advantageous enough times for a safety net attitude to take over though?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Boosh will be in net come play-off time. Boosh has had the very nice year of not playing too many games. Bob has taken a massive work load from him, so come play-off time, he should be fresh and ready.

Most goaltenders have to play upwards of 50 games, before being thrown into play-off action. Boosh will get significantly less than that, Had he not been injured last year, we are probably celebrating the cup.

Boosh is a fine goaltender for us to win the cup. We don't need a superstar, we need someone that is going to stop the first shot, and not get worried about players crashing the crease. The flyers should take care of the rest.

If Carter turns up in the play-offs, we are one scary team.
I've been waiting for that for a few years now.

I'm not holding my breath.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Teezax

I really have no problem with Bouch being the go 2 guy in the playoffs. He has played great for us since the OT shootout against the Rangers last year. He was great in the first rd.
No reason he can't keep up the pace when the going gets tough.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote