HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Goalie Prospects

Old
02-24-2011, 03:30 AM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Sabres Goalie Prospects

Next seasons goaltending situation will go something like this...

-Miller will be back as starter (obvious)

-Lalime will almost assuredly be gone (obvious)

-Enroth will likely back up Miller (pretty obvious)

-David Leggio will become starter in Portland (based on his performance this season, pretty obvious)

Now come the questions:

1. Who backs up Leggio in Portland (Nick Eno, Bradley Eidsness, or Connor Knapp)?

2. Which prospect (Enroth, Leggio, Eno, Eidsness or Knapp) has the highest upside?

In my opinion of the second question, I believe we see Enroth's potential, and he could become a quality starter, but Knapp is the most intriguing. THN has him listed at 6'6" 224lbs. That's some net coverage if you ask me!

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

I dont know if its obvious that Leggio will be in Portland next season, maybe he goes back to Europe.

1) probably Eids, but could also be a UFA
2) Enroth, Knapp, Eids, Leggio, Eno

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I agree with Duddy.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

I think Leggio has the least upside. As great as it would be to see the Buffalo guy that I went to school with be in the prospect pool, I think he's more a JP Lamoreaux type journeyman. He'll be a backup in Portland to whatever kid is coming up.

There's also this side of me that wonders if Enroth will be given another season of starting 65 games in portland. I know it seems sort of unfathomable, but there was that talk that he needs to play, not backup. and Miller will probably still play 60 games? (Unless you think we'll have more balance next year....)

In terms of upside: Enroth / Knapp / Eids / Eno / Leggio

I would be surprised if the Sabres didn't draft another goalie to begin grooming.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Eno's been pretty poor in NCAA, though.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Zip15

1) I'm guessing Eidsness. He probably wants to get away from North Dakota as quickly as possible. He lost his job to a younger netminder and has been stapled to the bench for most of the season. Knapp would be wise to stay another season at Miami, especially if Reichard heads to the professional ranks after this season--which, if I recall correctly, he almost did last season.

2) I believe Enroth is the best prospect. My formula is Ceiling x Likelihood of Reaching That Ceiling. I think Enroth can be a good netminder, and, given his lateral mobility, I think he'll do pretty well in the NHL. Knapp has a very high ceiling, but he also has huge bust potential, as well. I could see him being a star in the NHL, but I could also see him getting lit up like a Christmas tree in the AHL and never making it to the NHL. Eno is a throwaway to me. Eidsness needs to get his confidence back, and getting away from North Dakota is the first step in that process. I like Leggio, but I see him as more of a solid AHL goalie. I think he'll bounce around the AHL, eventually be a very good AHL starter, but never play more than a few games in the NHL. He's another J.F. Labbe.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Loungie

I think having Enroth back up Miller in the future will let Miller rest more games. I was very impressed in Enroth's performance in the comeback against Montreal a week ago

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I would expect them to leave Knapp in school, draft at least one more 'minder this summer and look for someone else for duty in Portland for next year, perhaps splitting time with Leggio but more likely someone who could push Enroth. Who that could be remains to be seen. Eno is done with his season and I doubt they sign him. Eidsness... Brad's fallen off a lot and it seems doubtful a Leggio/Eidsness pair would give Portland the sort of netminding they deserve.

Some collegiate names to ponder:

Scott Greenham - Alaska (jr)
John Muse - BC (sr)
Pat Nagle - Ferris State (sr)
Shawn Hunwick - Michigan (jr)

Not sure if they would go with a collegiate UFA, but those four are having very good seasons and are undrafted. 'Tis possible they seek someone in that mold...

Last edited by Chainshot: 02-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I would expect them to leave Knapp in school, draft at least one more 'minder this summer and look for someone else for duty in Portland for next year, perhaps splitting time with Leggio but more likely someone who could push Enroth. Who that could be remains to be seen. Eno is done with his season and I doubt they sign him. Eidsness... Brad's fallen off a lot and it seems doubtful a Leggio/Eidsness pair would give Portland the sort of netminding they deserve.
I expect a goalie to be taken somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds. Ideally, I'd get a high-risk/reward kind of prospect. I'm admittedly not up-to-date on the incoming goaltending prospects of this class, though, especially in terms of trying to find hidden late-round gems.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Boose30

1) i dont think leggio will come back to portland. the starter definitely should be Knapp with either Eno or Eidsness behind him

2) Enroth, Knapp, Eids, Eno

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I was about as big an Eidsness guy as there was up through this year, but I can't imagine them having any use for him anymore. I don't really know what happened to him but I wouldn't have any interest in investing a contract with him. And I wanted to sign him after his sophomore year.

Knapp I want to see as a true #1 for a year before he goes pro.

I expect next year's depth goaltending to include 2 Leggio/Joey MacDonald/JP Lamoureux type players. One of which might be Leggio.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote