HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Steve Bernier,Mike Smith [BOTH CLEAR] & Craig Rivet(re-entry)[CLAIMED BY CBJ]

Old
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

vCash: 500
I LOVED Bernier. Thought he would be better than Penner.

Oopsie.

02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Someone for sure will claim Bernier.
Why? This isn't directed at just you but all who think Bernier or most wavier guys will be picked up. Don't you think that the GM of a team about to waive a player hasn't made at least 29 phone calls before waiving the player?

There is also the NHL's limit on signed players. If the team has 50 contracts they can't claim.

Then there is the cap. I have to believe that if a team really thinks that a $2,000,000 Bernier is an upgrade to who is currently employed on the team they would have offered up a 7th rounder or a lacklustre prospect.

Having said that now watch the guy get claimed.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if the Canucks pick up Rivet at such a cheap cap hit he could be an upgrade on Rome/Tanev at a fraction of the cost saving the team valuable cap space when the other d-men return
not sure how he is "such a cheap cap hit". Correct me if I am wrong, but this guy has a $3.5 mil cap hit, and if Buff is on the hook for 50% of it, then that leaves a team with a $1.75 mil cap hit on a guy who couldnt crack Buffalo's defense core...

Now that cap hit is probably pro rated or something, not sure the exact number it would be, but I cannot imagine anyone picking him up if they are on the hook for a million plus imo.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Why? This isn't directed at just you but all who think Bernier or most wavier guys will be picked up. Don't you think that the GM of a team about to waive a player hasn't made at least 29 phone calls before waiving the player?

There is also the NHL's limit on signed players. If the team has 50 contracts they can't claim.

Then there is the cap. I have to believe that if a team really thinks that a $2,000,000 Bernier is an upgrade to who is currently employed on the team they would have offered up a 7th rounder or a lacklustre prospect.

Having said that now watch the guy get claimed.
you also have to think, if this guy couldnt do anything in Florida, what the hell good is he going to be on my team?

you know he was given a chance to produce there, but his limitations and lack of skill became apparent. Florida is rolling three scoring lines over there, I doubt a single team picks him up as well, but I have eaten crow before...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Reign Nateo

Feel for Bernier, he's a great kid, just never had the hockey sense to make an impact. Not the most skilled guy, but he works hard and now makes too much money for what he brings. Hopefully he lands somewhere in July on a bottom-6 contract.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
I lol @ the people lolling @ FLA.

Ballard sucks, overpaid.
Oreskovich sucks

for

Howden, great prospect

I'd still do this trade today.

I don't get this logic.

Lets say there was a man who lived on a farm. One day a weary looking traveller came up to him and said to the man "I will trade you this comb, this mirror, and this potted plant, for your donkey and your chair."

"Well my god" the farmer thought to himself "how can I say no to this deal? The donkey costs a lot in upkeep, and that chair was good a year ago, but it hasn't been used in a while, it could be broken by now...I have to do this deal." So the farmer agreed.

The traveller went on his way, pleased with the deal.

The next day the farmer got up in the morning and went to try out his new comb, when he realized he had recently cut his hair short. "Well I won't need this anytime soon" so he threw out the comb.

The farmer looked at the mirror to get a good look at himself and realized he didn't like what he saw. All it revealed was what a sorry state the man was in. So he threw that away as well and went about his usual routine.

Later that month, the farmer was amidst selling off more of his stuff. Everything but the potted plant, because that plant could maybe one day grow into something amazing. While he was selling his stuff off, a neighbour happened by and asked the farmer if he had heard about a guy in the next town over, a guy with a magical comb.

"What is so good about the comb??" the farmer asked. "Well it is scoring at a 40 goal pace, kills penalties, and is making a name for himself in the rookie of the year race!" exclaimed the neighbour. "Well that's fine, I still have my potted plant. I am just curious, though, did you ever hear what happened to my donkey?" "Well I heard it's depenable and providing solid minutes on the blueline." "Oh. But I still have my potted plant, though." "Well you could have had the comb, still. That's kind of funny."

"BUT I STILL HAVE MY POTTED PLANT. What, pray tell, happened to my mirror?"

"Oh it's still a useless peice of crap......."

"Well there's that at least."

/fairy tale mode.

I don't mean to rub it in Floridas face, and lets say Howden becomes just an amazing player....it still doesn't negate the fact that Florida probably should have given Grabner more of a chance then they did.

Laughing at Florida for trading Bernier is hard to do, since for all we know that was a salary dump from the Canuck, and the Panthers might not have even wanted him that much. But waiving Grabner to keep Bernier.....that's a bit ugly at this point in time.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not sure how he is "such a cheap cap hit". Correct me if I am wrong, but this guy has a $3.5 mil cap hit, and if Buff is on the hook for 50% of it, then that leaves a team with a $1.75 mil cap hit on a guy who couldnt crack Buffalo's defense core...

Now that cap hit is probably pro rated or something, not sure the exact number it would be, but I cannot imagine anyone picking him up if they are on the hook for a million plus imo.
Pro rated would be less than half a million. Could be a good deal if you are looking for dmen depth (looking at you Vancouver), seriously what is with Vancouver and dmen injuries, seems to be an annual thing.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Womp, womp. Starting to feel bad for the guy, hopefully someone claims him Friday.
I like Rivet, hopefully someone claims him at the price for a playoff run...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Erick*

Ballard sucked last year for the Panthers; if he's doing better for Vancouver, cool. But fact of the matter is, he was attrocious last year, and is overpaid, anyway you look at it. His cap hit might not matter as much to a team like Vancouver, but it matters to the Panthers.

Yeah waiving Grabner was a huge mistake, but looking at the trade itself...what's basically left of it is Ballard for a 1st (Howden). Looking back at it, I would've taken that for Ballard the day he was traded. I was shocked when we got as much as we did for Ballard at the draft.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Ballard sucked last year for the Panthers; if he's doing better for Vancouver, cool. But fact of the matter is, he was attrocious last year, and is overpaid, anyway you look at it. His cap hit might not matter as much to a team like Vancouver, but it matters to the Panthers.

Yeah waiving Grabner was a huge mistake, but looking at the trade itself...what's basically left of it is Ballard for a 1st (Howden). Looking back at it, I would've taken that for Ballard the day he was traded. I was shocked when we got as much as we did for Ballard at the draft.
It's too early to weigh in on Ballard IMO. He had off-season surgery, which slowed him down, and he had a concussion this year that he came back from too soon. He has showed glimpses of being worth that money, but right now, yeah, he is overpaid, but he could easily round into form and be worth the money. His cap hit is no joke for Vancouver, either, though, as we are basically tight against the cap.

With the way Vancouver's defense is set up though (No true number one d-man, kind of a collection of number 2 d-men) Ballard fits in perfectly with the defence by committee approach, and I think most fans are glad he is on the team, but we still haven't seen Ballard been given the minutes and the green light to fully see what he can do.

Time will tell. Plus, hey, Grabner needs more than one year to prove that he is the 'one that got away' to be fair.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

You also took Bernier's waste of a 2 million cap hit, allowing us to sign Raffi Torres.

Not sure a team paying Bryan McCabe 5.7 and Wideman 4 million (-26), would really be worried about Ballard's 4.2 cap hit. He's been under-utilized so far in Vancouver, but is signed long-term, and we expect him to be a big part of this team's current success and future cup runs.

Well worth Bernier's useless cap hit, a player Florida waived, and a 1st. I think most Canuck fans would still do that trade and we've only scratched the surface on what Ballard will do in the next 4 years.

Also find it hard to belieive Ballard was "attrocious" last year considering he had like 30 points and played top 4 minutes all year. Guess your coach didn't share your opinion. But hey, I'm sure he doesn't hold a candle to Wideman's -26 in similar minutes...

Overall this trade is pretty balanced, Canucks needed a defenceman now and Ballard will be more important as time goes on. Florida needed youth. Where this deal crosses the line for the Panthers is waiving Grabner and paying to have Bernier on your roster all year.

This deal isn't awful for Florida at this point, (though they'd better hope Howden develops into more than the Boyd Gordon/Kyle Chipchura-type he projects to), it's the overall asset management that people are questioning.

Turning Nathan Horton, Keith Ballard, Gregory Campbell, and Michael Frolik into Jack Skille, Denis Wideman and a prospect or two is questionable at best. That's where people are wondering what's going on in Florida.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
I don't get this logic.

Lets say there was a man who lived on a farm. One day a weary looking traveller came up to him and said to the man "I will trade you this comb, this mirror, and this potted plant, for your donkey and your chair."

"Well my god" the farmer thought to himself "how can I say no to this deal? The donkey costs a lot in upkeep, and that chair was good a year ago, but it hasn't been used in a while, it could be broken by now...I have to do this deal." So the farmer agreed.

The next day the farmer got up in the morning and went to try out his new comb, when he realized he had recently cut his hair short. "Well I won't need this anytime soon" so he threw out the comb.

The farmer looked at the mirror to get a good look at himself and realized he didn't like what he saw. All it revealed was what a sorry state the man was in. So he threw that away as well and went about his usual routine.

Later that month, the farmer was amidst selling off more of his stuff. Everything but the potted plant, because that plant could maybe one day grow into something amazing. While he was selling his stuff off, a neighbour happened by and asked the farmer if he had heard about a guy in the next town over, a guy with a magical comb.

"What is so good about the comb??" the farmer asked. "Well it is scoring at a 40 goal pace, kills penalties, and is making a name for himself in the rookie of the year race!" exclaimed the neighbour. "Well that's fine, I still have my potted plant. I am just curious, though, did you ever hear what happened to my donkey?" "Well I heard it's depenable and providing solid minutes on the blueline." "Oh. But I still have my potted plant, though." "Well you could have had the comb, still. That's kind of funny."

/fairy tale mode.

I don't mean to rub it in Floridas face, and lets say Howden becomes just an amazing player....it still doesn't negate the fact that Florida probably should have given Grabner more of a chance then they did.

Laughing at Florida for trading Bernier is hard to do, since for all we know that was a salary dump from the Canuck, and the Panthers might not have even wanted him that much. But waiving Grabner to keep Bernier.....that's a bit ugly at this point in time.
LOL and with that my friend you are the winner of internet.
I take back everything I said and surrender.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:

No-one has touched on the fact that Ballard tried to murder your goaltender last year. I'm not a GM, but I know I don't want murderers on my team. How Tallon got value for the aforementioned murderer, is a feat all of its own.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Sheik Yerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Steve Bernier... What a lazy, talent-wasting player. Doubt he'll ever figure it out.
Talent? what talent? we talking about the same player here?

Sheik Yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
ManoWarrior

He's been good in the playoffs for the Canucks.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

I'd like Bernier but there's no room for him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
I don't get this logic.

/fairy tale mode.

Lol This was great! Thanks for the laugh.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
Rivet was placed on re-entry also.

Now his cap hit is something like $400k.
depending on whats going the other way for mccabe i'd like the rangers to pick him up

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
I think now is the time to introduce my new clothing line:

Custom shirts so you can truly express just how shocked you are by the thought of someone clearing waivers!

Look for a new line to hit next month, the "I can't believe ______ cleared waivers!" t-shirt line!
I'll take fifty

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Tachycineta

I hope someone picks Rivet up on re-entry so he can continue his career, even in a depth mode.

Weird seeing both Bernier and Rivet on waivers on the same day. Just three years ago- Buffalo got them both in trades. Now, they can be had for free (no assets given up)

Basically- in summation- it was:

Brian Campbell and a 2nd round pick for Craig Rivet, a 3rd round pick and 08 1st rounder (Tyler Ennis).

Campbell and 7th for Bernier and 1st.
2 2nd rounders for Craig Rivet and 7th
Steve Bernier for a 2nd and 3rd done

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:14 PM
GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Bernier seems like the type of player made for the playoffs.

I could see him being claimed.

no

one of the reasons the canucks traded him was because he sucked in the playoffs. he tries to hit but he cant catch up to anybody to actually hit them. he has hands of stone, and has missed empty nets (and i mean wide open) more than a couple of times. he could'nt even play with the sedins, and the sedins made taylor pyatt into a 20 goal scorer.

GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 03:22 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:

Custom shirts so you can truly express just how shocked you are by the thought of someone clearing waivers!

Look for a new line to hit next month, the "I can't believe ______ cleared waivers!" t-shirt line!
I want that shirt.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
bigdrew99

If i were Montreal I would take a crack at Bernier. Let him play alongside Pouliot and Desharnais. If the rumors are true, Gomez to either stlouis, phx or anaheim (wishful thinking) i would trade for Statsny. Supposedly he is available, but will cost a lot.

bigdrew99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:01 PM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Feel for Bernier, he's a great kid, just never had the hockey sense to make an impact. Not the most skilled guy, but he works hard and now makes too much money for what he brings. Hopefully he lands somewhere in July on a bottom-6 contract.
This is so strange. In SJ, he had an immense amount of talent, some people were positive he would score 40 goals some day and captain a team. It's just his work ethic was absolutely garbage, and he was quite over weight as well. This was the book on him when he was drafted as well, loads of talent, but needed to be taught work ethic.

Is this some kinda different Bernier?! Bernier never worked hard of us, maybe a few times but he always had soft hands, weird

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:03 PM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:

haha, what about "______, and its not even close."

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote