HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 07:26 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Toffoli will get MVP of the league, not that it matters all that much.

I'm incredulous that Thomas has any more growing to do at the OHL level. When you're scoring a goal a game you're above the competition.
Exactly.

I look at it this way:

If Thomas stays in the OHL for next year:

2012-13 (OHL) -- 50 or 60 goals
2013-14 (AHL) -- 15 or 20 goals
2014-15 (AHL) -- 25 or 30 goals
2015-16 (NHL)

If Thomas goes to the AHL next season

2012-13 (AHL) -- 15 or 20 goals
2013-14 (AHL) -- 25 or 30 goals
2014-15 NHL

The last thing you want to do is waste this kid for a full year in the OHL. I though we were wrong in doing that with Sanguinetti.

Old
02-24-2011, 07:41 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Hagelin reminds me of Teddy Donato when he was at Harvard. Very similar styles.

Old
02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Exactly.

I look at it this way:

2015-16 (NHL)

2014-15 NHL

The last thing you want to do is waste this kid for a full year in the OHL. I though we were wrong in doing that with Sanguinetti.
The only other option is having him in the NHL. If he's not ready for that, what do you do? Sanguinetti wasn't ready for it, so I don't know how you can say we mishandled him.

If a player is going to make it, an extra year at a lower level isn't going to deter him. It may delay him a little, but it won't stop him from reaching the NHL. I have no worries about Thomas. He has the skills and the on-ice awareness. I think for him it's just about being physically ready for the NHL, and that will take time no matter where he's playing.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Tonight Jesper Fasth is making his comeback after his knee injury.

Great news!! I love GREAT news!

Hope the kid is totally healthy and can get some more games under his belt. He is going to be good.

Old
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Let him have a real shot at making the roster against Kreider and Hagelin but if he doesn't wow to the point where he's on the opening day roster, having him in the OHL wouldn't be too devastating. I'm just happy that we're having these 'type' of problems now. A supersaturated farm can be tough to manage but it's definitely better for the team longterm (and short term).

Old
02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The only other option is having him in the NHL. If he's not ready for that, what do you do? Sanguinetti wasn't ready for it, so I don't know how you can say we mishandled him.

If a player is going to make it, an extra year at a lower level isn't going to deter him. It may delay him a little, but it won't stop him from reaching the NHL. I have no worries about Thomas. He has the skills and the on-ice awareness. I think for him it's just about being physically ready for the NHL, and that will take time no matter where he's playing.
I don't think it would be that far of a stretch to say he will have a very good shot of making the NHL next season. Many players have done it.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Glad Fasth is back.

Also we CAN'T put Thomas in the AHL. He's too young.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Man this article made me miss college hockey. Every article I read about Yost makes it sound just like Lynah (probably because they stole all of our material in 1991, but I won't get into that here). As much as I love the Rangers, the greatest hockey experiences I've ever had were standing on rickety old benches in Ithaca, NY. No jumbotron, no piped in music, just a band and 4000 voices.

Anyway, signing Hagelin sounds like a no brainer. The only worry that I would have is that Hagelin is right on the cusp of the Gordie Clark era (Maloney left about a month before the 2007 draft, so I think you have to consider that draft a bit of a hybrid between him and Clark, as most of the scouting was compiled while Maloney was calling the shots). I wonder how much the current front office views the guys drafted that year as 'theirs'. Anyway, this is idle speculation, what you read about Hagelin suggests that he fits the mold that the Rangers have been going after the past few years, so I would expect them to do everything they can to bring him into camp.

Old
02-24-2011, 12:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Man this article made me miss college hockey. Every article I read about Yost makes it sound just like Lynah (probably because they stole all of our material in 1991, but I won't get into that here). As much as I love the Rangers, the greatest hockey experiences I've ever had were standing on rickety old benches in Ithaca, NY. No jumbotron, no piped in music, just a band and 4000 voices.

Anyway, signing Hagelin sounds like a no brainer. The only worry that I would have is that Hagelin is right on the cusp of the Gordie Clark era (Maloney left about a month before the 2007 draft, so I think you have to consider that draft a bit of a hybrid between him and Clark, as most of the scouting was compiled while Maloney was calling the shots). I wonder how much the current front office views the guys drafted that year as 'theirs'. Anyway, this is idle speculation, what you read about Hagelin suggests that he fits the mold that the Rangers have been going after the past few years, so I would expect them to do everything they can to bring him into camp.
The article gave me chills briefly... Great article...

Old
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Exactly.

I look at it this way:

2015-16 (NHL)

2014-15 NHL

It is not a disaster for him to play another year in the OHL and refine his skills. It would also allow him to put more time into getting his body ready for the NHL, which will certainly help his transition.

I'd much rather see him continue to play in an offensive role and be physically ready to play in the NHL than have him see basically no playing time in the NHL. I have no time being patient with prospects.

Last edited by The Sweetness: 02-24-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old
02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Exactly.

I look at it this way:

2015-16 (NHL)

2014-15 NHL

It is not a disaster for him to play another year in the OHL and refine his skills. It would also allow him to put more time into getting his body ready for the NHL/AHL, which will certainly help his transition.

I'd much rather see him continue to play in an offensive role and be physically ready to play in the NHL than have him see basically no playing time in the NHL. I have no time being patient with prospects.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Here's the McIlrath fights from last night. As expected, the Moose Jaw announcer did not disappoint:

Old
02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Here's the McIlrath fight from last night. As expected, the Moose Jaw announcer did not disappoint:

Love that guy. If Mcilrath is a huge bust and never plays in the NHL, atleast he introduced me to this glorious announcer.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Oooooh, this was a home game for Moose Jaw, that means their over-the-top announcer would have been calling the action during the fights... Anybody heard that guy from previous McIlrath fight videos? He sounds like he's calling a WWE match... He goes nuts.
WOW!

Imagine that guy on MSG!!!

Old
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

mcilrath is like a circus clown and that announcer is brutal. its like very bush league to me.

and ladies and gents, thats your 10th pick in the first round right there doing what he does best. throwing punches.

cant wait to hear he blew out his shoulder wresting with some goon who will never play echl hockey. that would be just perfect.

good god. embarrassing.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
mcilrath is like a circus clown and that announcer is brutal. its like very bush league to me.

and ladies and gents, thats your 10th pick in the first round right there doing what he does best. throwing punches.

cant wait to hear he blew out his shoulder wresting with some goon who will never play echl hockey. that would be just perfect.

good god. embarrassing.
The first video he jumps in for a teammate who was being challenged and didn't want to go.

The second is after his goalie gets trampled.

Yup, what a clown for sticking up for his teammates.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
The first video he jumps in for a teammate who was being challenged and didn't want to go.

These events, you grossly exaggerate

I'm still waiting for videos of that Shea Weber-esque play that got him drafted at #10, where are those yewtubes?

Old
02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post

his highlights usually consist of him punching someone while that idiot announcer spits all over his microphone.

i prefer hockey highlights.

and ya know, i havent heard anyone say the piece of the puzzle were missing this season is that one guy who can beat the snot out of someone.

scoring goals or making great plays are video worthy. fighting. not so much.

1st round pick. its sad really.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
his highlights usually consist of him punching someone while that idiot announcer spits all over his microphone.

i prefer hockey highlights.

and ya know, i havent heard anyone say the piece of the puzzle were missing this season is that one guy who can beat the snot out of someone.

scoring goals or making great plays are video worthy. fighting. not so much.

1st round pick. its sad really.
I'd prefer to see him score a highlight reel goal as well. But that doesn't mean there is a reason to overreact to him fighting someone, especially because it wasn't a "staged" fight.

Also, there wasn't a single player around for us to draft that would of been the missing puzzle piece for this season so thats a weird reason to criticize the pick.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

What is the point in complaining so much?

The pick has been debated ad nauseum. Even so, I'm cool with more debate.

What I don't understand is the need to attack the player. He's part of our system now. He can't help where he was drafted. Why not offer useful insight into his strengths and weaknesses, rather than just trying to tear the kid down.

We all get that he was selected with great players still on the board. I come to this thread to learn more about his game and how he's progressing, not to listen to whining because he fights.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Are people still discussing Thomas in the AHL next year? Wasn't it established long ago that that couldn't happen? It's Juniors or the NHL for the kid.

It's just pain.
Old
02-24-2011, 04:31 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Are people still discussing Thomas in the AHL next year? Wasn't it established long ago that that couldn't happen? It's Juniors or the NHL for the kid.
We've been pretty much saying how crappy it is that he'll have to go back to Junior instead of the AHL.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Ah, got it. Apologies, my mistake.

Old
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Que all the McIlrath whining.... Go complain to somebody who cares...

Old
02-24-2011, 05:26 PM
E Nixson