HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
  #51
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If the Canucks win the cup in the next few years Nonis will go down as a legend in Vancouver. The guy that somehow brought in the best defenseman and goaltender in the franchises 40 year history, all in a tiny 3 year window.
We should hold a rally for Mike Keenan and Brian Burke as well when this happens.

And Yzerman sucks.

VanEric is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 03:52 PM
  #52
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Weinrich wasn't acquired a 2nd round pick--but that deadline was horrendous(2005/2006 season)

We got:
D Eric Weinrich for a 3rd Round Pick in 2006 + D Tomas Mojzis
D Keith Carney for a 2nd Round Pick in 2006 + D Brett Skinner
D Sean Brown for a 4th Round Pick in 2006
G Mika Noronen for a 2nd Round Pick in 2006

Ouch...
Fun fact: Brent Sopel was traded to NYI for a conditional draft pick (turned out to be a 2nd round pick), that 2nd round pick turned into all 18 games and -5 of Keith Carney.

Horrible asset management. We could have got WAY more for a rental depth defenseman.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
  #53
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,425
vCash: 500
OTT says that they aren't looking to trade Neil

Winroba is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
  #54
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
oh... were you serious?
The best defenseman AND goaltender in franchise history in under 3 years is remarkable - not to mention if the Canucks win the cup Luongo and Edler will probably be a very big part of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
We should hold a rally for Mike Keenan and Brian Burke as well when this happens.

And Yzerman sucks.
Yup, without Brian Burke making that deal for the Sedins we don't win a Stanley cup.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 03:59 PM
  #55
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yup, without Brian Burke making that deal for the Sedins we don't win a Stanley cup.
And without Mike Keenan, Nonis doesn't have Bertuzzi. So Keenan is really the one responsible. Well, I guess its really Pat Quinn because he drafted Linden who was traded for Bertuzzi.

Pat Quinn is really the man who built the 2011 Canucks.

VanEric is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
  #56
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The best defenseman AND goaltender in franchise history in under 3 years is remarkable - not to mention if the Canucks win the cup Luongo and Edler will probably be a very big part of it.




Yup, without Brian Burke making that deal for the Sedins we don't win a Stanley cup.
All hail Dave Nonis, the guy who couldn't quite put it all together!

Not that Gillis has done that for us yet.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
  #57
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If the Canucks win the cup in the next few years Nonis will go down as a legend in Vancouver. The guy that somehow brought in the best defenseman and goaltender in the franchises 40 year history, all in a tiny 3 year window.
Really not sure who you're talking about. Edler? Nothing wrong with Edler but we certainly don't have a clear cut best defenseman ever...in franchise history really.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
  #58
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,769
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If the Canucks win the cup in the next few years Nonis will go down as a legend in Vancouver. The guy that somehow brought in the best defenseman and goaltender in the franchises 40 year history, all in a tiny 3 year window.
You're not actually serious are you?


__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:12 PM
  #59
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
And without Mike Keenan, Nonis doesn't have Bertuzzi. So Keenan is really the one responsible. Well, I guess its really Pat Quinn because he drafted Linden who was traded for Bertuzzi.

Pat Quinn is really the man who built the 2011 Canucks.
The Canucks 5 best players are the Sedins, Kesler, Luongo and Edler. If you want to heap all the praise on Mike Gillis if the Canucks win the cup, so be it. I won't. Gillis will get a lot of credit for surrounding the core with good players but that doesn't take away from the fact the top end talent on this team was inherited.

If the Canucks win the cup will Dave Nonis be known for making poor league minimum signings and deadline trades or will he go down as the guy that brought in the best defenseman and goalie in Canuck history that helped lead the Canucks to their 1st ever Stanley cup?

This team is nothing without it's top 5 players. That is lost on a lot of people, I'm not one of them.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:12 PM
  #60
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
OTT says that they aren't looking to trade Neil
I think he's now injured anyways. I would have taken a look at him, but that salary is pretty terrible.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
  #61
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
Ok, let's not fall over the precipice that is yet another Dave Nonis debate. Let's keep this related to the upcoming trade deadline.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:15 PM
  #62
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If the Canucks win the cup will Dave Nonis be known for making poor league minimum signings and deadline trades or will he go down as the guy that brought in the best defenseman and goalie in Canuck history that helped lead the Canucks to their 1st ever Stanley cup?

This team is nothing without it's top 5 players. That is lost on a lot of people, I'm not one of them.
If you don't make the playoffs, it doesn't really matter if those 5 players are the greatest in NHL history does it?


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 02-24-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
  #63
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Brian Burke was the guy that drafted three of those five players.
Our 3 best players - 3 of the best players in the Western conference.

Pretty hard not to give him credit for bringing in what is the foundation of the franchise isn't it? I'm not a Burke fan by any means but we're nothing without the Sedins and Kesler.

If the Canucks win the cup, Burke, Nonis and Gillis will all get their share of credit.

Drop the Sopel is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
  #64
Rageinthecage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Weinrich wasn't acquired a 2nd round pick--but that deadline was horrendous(2005/2006 season)

We got:
D Eric Weinrich for a 3rd Round Pick in 2006 + D Tomas Mojzis
D Keith Carney for a 2nd Round Pick in 2006 + D Brett Skinner
D Sean Brown for a 4th Round Pick in 2006
G Mika Noronen for a 2nd Round Pick in 2006

Ouch...
Players still available at the 06 draft with those two 2nd rounders that Nonis traded...of course hindsight is utilized here, but.....just sayin

Milan Lucic
Artem Anisimov
Jeff Petry
Nikolai Kulemin
Jamie McBain
Cal Clutterbuck
Steve Mason
Theo Peckham
Brad Marchand
Jhonas Enroth
Shawn Matthias

Rageinthecage is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 04:38 PM
  #65
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Mainboard stating Florida has trades to announce at 6:15 EST

Outside99* is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:07 PM
  #66
David71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
weiss getting dealt??

David71 is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
  #67
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
weiss getting dealt??
Nope Stillman to Carolina for Carter and a 5th.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:33 PM
  #68
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain
 
The Kassian Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
Just read that Brad Boyes was available, would he interest you guys at all? I do recall him being a 40 goal scorer though he regressed a lot.

6'0" with a 205lb frame. Slot him in on the 3rd or the 2nd line depending if Raymond was going the other way.

Would you consider him as an upgrade over Raymond?

The Kassian Train is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
  #69
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,350
vCash: 500
We have so little to talk about our 'trade deadline' thread has devolved into a thread about trade deadlines past.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
  #70
Kid_Roll
Registered User
 
Kid_Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo604 View Post
Just read that Brad Boyes was available, would he interest you guys at all? I do recall him being a 40 goal scorer though he regressed a lot.

6'0" with a 205lb frame. Slot him in on the 3rd or the 2nd line depending if Raymond was going the other way.

Would you consider him as an upgrade over Raymond?
If he was always playing against us, then yes.

Kid_Roll is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
  #71
alternate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,971
vCash: 500
any Canuck rumours? what's eklund up to these days? has his site shut down due to the lack of Canuck fan traffic?

alternate is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
  #72
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
Let's try this again.

If you want to talk about Gillis vs. Nonis vs. Burke, start a thread for that. Ditto for previous draft day successes/blunders.

Discuss the tread deadline here.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
  #73
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Let's try this again.

If you want to talk about Gillis vs. Nonis vs. Burke, start a thread for that. Ditto for previous draft day successes/blunders.

Discuss the tread deadline here.
So we need to "tread" carefully in this thread.

Sorry just could not resist.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
  #74
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,365
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
any Canuck rumours? what's eklund up to these days? has his site shut down due to the lack of Canuck fan traffic?
Nothing yet. If we do make a trade, I'm assuming the partner would be OTT or FLA.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
  #75
PensFan6687
Registered User
 
PensFan6687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
My thoughts concerning the Pittsburgh Penguins recent acquisition of Alexei Kovalev: 38, soft, streaky, and plays when he wants to. Inspired in short spurts. Not happy with the Kovalev pick up. Too much of a small bandaid for what will be an otherwise write off a season if we can't get Sidney Crosby back before the post season. Also, this becomes a 6th round pick if we make the second round or he plays in 50 percent of the games. Ehhh, guess nothing was really lost. But the fact we make no gain... makes me feel we have in fact lost something. A late pick.

PensFan6687 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.