HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk III

Old
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I said he'd spell OD. They're both old men by NHL standards. We always lose 1-2 defensemen in the playoffs, anyway (this year, it's one with 20 games left to go). Couldn't hurt to have another vet who almost assuredly get games in. Craig Rivet is a proud veteran and captain, too. Look at his ignominious end in Buffalo.
The thing is, OD doesn't want to sit either.

BOTH OF THEM WANT TO PLAY. And from what I recall when we signed OD, part of him coming here was that he would be playing. And for an old man, only missing one game from that injury and feeling fine today is pretty impressive.

Of course we would want to have Foote for the insurance; who wouldn't? But the players themselves wouldn't be too happy about it...and that's never good.

I highly doubt this trade goes down. I'll be happy if it does because Foote would be great to have just in case, but mark my words...Foote's not coming here to "spell" OD (aka ride pine for > half of the remaining games/playoffs). He wouldn't want that, and OD doesn't want to have to sit either. If he does come here in a trade I'll gladly eat these words, but I don't see it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I'd only take Foote if the Avalanche take Leighton or Walker back. Given their goaltending situation, I wouldn't put that past them. The guy has taken a beating over his career, and is a risk if we have to rely on him.

Also, I know I've said this a number of times, but when Zherdev goes and Holmgren can't get another depth forward, I'm not putting it past them to go with 7 defensemen. Even as a 7th d-man, Foote is more worth having on the ice than Shelley.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Terence Peterman

Weiss reportedly traded, no news where yet. Interesting regardless, though.

Edit: Apparently debunked.

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 02-24-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
Stillman to Carolina.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Stillman to Carolina.
Best quote summing up Carolina

Quote:
Carolina is the least creative franchise when it comes to making deals. Oh hey there Pitkanen. Welcome back Mr. Cole. Stillman ole chap!
-BanginPanger

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Stillman to Carolina.
Geez, they certainly like their guys...

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd take Rivet on re-entry waivers over trading for Foote. Both are old geezers with solid veteran presence, but if Rivet is free (i.e. don't have to give anything up) I'd go with that. Maybe (hopefully) with any remaining cap space the Flyers could score another winger for Richards so the Shellman can ride the pine the rest of the way.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
Ryan Carter and a 5th to Florida.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-24-2011 at 04:51 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

From Pierre LeBrun's blog:

Quote:
One player still on the block in St. Louis is Brad Boyes, a source told us. The winger has one more year on his deal paying him $4 million next season. The Blues aren't going to give him away, but he's available for the right price.
I know this is a 1 in 999999999 shot, but I wonder what it would take to land him? The cap space works if Carle is involved. If I'm Homer I'm at least seeing what it would take. Carle/Carcillo + prospect? Then claim Rivet off waivers?

Giroux-Carter-JVR
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Boyes-Richards-Versteeg
Nodl-Betts-Powe
Shelley

Pronger-Meszaros
Coburn-Timonen
Rivet-OD
Bart (or put Bart out there and have Rivet as a #7)

Won't happen, I know, but if I can get it done I'd do it.

Old
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Boyes isnt Carle.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The other problem with Boyes, even though I'd love him, is that he still has another 4M for next season.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
From Pierre LeBrun's blog:

I know this is a 1 in 999999999 shot, but I wonder what it would take to land him? The cap space works if Carle is involved. If I'm Homer I'm at least seeing what it would take. Carle/Carcillo + prospect? Then claim Rivet off waivers?

Giroux-Carter-JVR
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Boyes-Richards-Versteeg
Nodl-Betts-Powe
Shelley

Pronger-Meszaros
Coburn-Timonen
Rivet-OD
Bart (or put Bart out there and have Rivet as a #7)

Won't happen, I know, but if I can get it done I'd do it.

So, we weaken our defense (our strongest suit) in order to improve an offense that shouldn't really need improving, and in the process wind up with a slow third pairing that'll probably be only slightly better than the one that hampered us last year?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The other problem with Boyes, even though I'd love him, is that he still has another 4M for next season.
Yeah, that'd def be an issue. Maybe flip him at the draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
So, we weaken our defense (our strongest suit) in order to improve an offense that shouldn't really need improving, and in the process wind up with a slow third pairing that'll probably be only slightly better than the one that hampered us last year?
Yeah, that's the gist of it. Though I wouldn't call OD-Rivet (or Bart or other waiver claim/cheap pickup) only slightly better than Bart-Parent-Krajicek we threw out there last year.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Boyes is noted underacheiver. The way he's hit the skids after two great years is quite alarming.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Boyes is noted underacheiver. The way he's hit the skids after two great years is quite alarming.
Yeah his stats have fallen off quite a bit from his career years. If the price tag is low though, I still think I would pull the trigger. The only everyday players I would trade to acquire him is Carle or Nodl (or Carcillo if he is considered everyday). If they wanted anything more than that I'd pass.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Yeah his stats have fallen off quite a bit from his career years. If the price tag is low though, I still think I would pull the trigger. The only everyday players I would trade to acquire him is Carle or Nodl (or Carcillo if he is considered everyday). If they wanted anything more than that I'd pass.
You would seriously trade Matt Carle for another forward we don't need, underachieving and with a big contract? The mind boggles...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You would seriously trade Matt Carle for another forward we don't need, underachieving and with a big contract? The mind boggles...
If the price was just Carle I'd do it. If they want much more than that nope. He has shown what he can do in this league. Just because he had a bad season last year and isn't doing great this year does not mean that he is worthless. Carle is a solid defendner, but this team won't be worse off without him if the return is a player like Boyes. The contract is an issue though.

EDIT: Let me add that if this Pronger injury is anything serious I would not do this trade.

Last edited by DrinkFightFlyers: 02-25-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM
kammy

Adam Foote reportedly is close to becoming a Flyer.

/discuss

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post

/discuss
Foote has a torn quad doofus.

Sources please - - - discuss.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Larry44

Quote:
If the price was just Carle I'd do it. If they want much more than that nope. He has shown what he can do in this league. Just because he had a bad season last year and isn't doing great this year does not mean that he is worthless. Carle is a solid defendner, but this team won't be worse off without him if the return is a player like Boyes. The contract is an issue though.

EDIT: Let me add that if this Pronger injury is anything serious I would not do this trade.
You'd break up the best top 6 in the league for 3rd line RW, at best, on this team?

Thank merciful heaven you aren't the GM.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post

/discuss
Great idea, given what's out there. Because there are so few teams selling, there aren't a lot of options.

Foote is a cheap, vet expiring UFA. He'll play his role as #7 in the pressbox, play occasionally if possible and be happy.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Foote might be happy just to get a chance to skate around with a Cup. And he can spell OD down the stretch. I dunno. Foote doesn't excite me, but we could use one more body. Holmgren would really be putting a 2000-01 All-Star blueline together with Pronger, Timonen, O'Donnell, and Foote. We're just one Ville Nieminen away from winning it all!
Fun fact: Chris Pronger had 47 ****ing points in 51 ****ing games in 00-01. Crazy Mother****er!

I'd be down with Foote as insurance.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 02:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You'd break up the best top 6 in the league for 3rd line RW, at best, on this team?

Thank merciful heaven you aren't the GM.
Yeah, on THIS team he would be a third liner, but Mike Richards is a third liner on THIS team. That's the point of having a glut of talent so that you can have guys like Versteeg/Boyes/Richards on the third line (or Carter/Giroux/JVR or Hartnell/Briere/Leino, depending on which one you consider the third line). And Yes I would break up the defense by removing Matt Carle. Carle is a good defenseman, no doubt, but his absence wouldn't all of the sudden make the defense on this team a question mark. If you take Pronger or Timonen out of the mix, ok we are looking at a totally different situation. But removing Carle isn't going to have people second guessing the defense. The top four would still likely be one of the tops in the league and the bottom pairing of OD/Bart would be far from the worst in the league or even the playoff teams.

Old
02-25-2011, 03:44 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Fun fact: Chris Pronger had 47 ****ing points in 51 ****ing games in 00-01. Crazy Mother****er!

I'd be down with Foote as insurance.
Yeah, and he won the Hart as a defenseman the previous year. Pretty awesome. I wonder if our blueline would be better if it were ten years ago? Bartulis would be out (too young), but 26-year-old Pronger, 25-year-old Timonen, 29-year-old Foote, 29-year-old O'Donnell would be awesome. They'd really have to cover for the 15-year-old Coburn and 16-year-old Carle, though. Just like now!

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Boynton at a $500K cap hit I'd take a look at.

Similarly, Mike Commodore for the rest of this season, and then waive him again later on. This is only because Laviolette had him in Carolina when they won the Cup.