HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
cookiecutter

vCash: 500
Events of recent days surprise me somewhat; I was attacked when I suggested Mike should not and could not do two jobs at STU and this was an event attempted in recent history that proved to be fatal for the coach. This prediction proved true. I was attacked when I said that STU was investing over a million dollars in the new rink and would not spend the dollars to hire a coach and AD as two seperate positions. Bloggers said this was untrue yet it proved to be true. The reporters defended maintaining the status quo, yet they also predicted STU to finish last or near last for this year. I want STU to get to the middle and then back to the top. I want the return of the cross town competition. This is a board to discuss the original thread of What gives with this years Tommies? Did that in the above mentioned, namely: Spend all kinds of money on the rink, but not on coaches and AD positions. People burying their heads in the sand and not realizing the Team was floundering.

Old
02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
FreddtFoyle

Cookie,

Back in November STUpid said in this thread:

Quote:
Gleanerguy - I'll admit to exaggerating whether the letter would get printed. And you're right, the stink goes higher than Eagles. I can't understand it though. With all of the money involved in athletics, why not insist upon excellence? I just can't believe in the big picture that STU's financial investment in men's hockey is that much less than UNB's, and UNB by insisting that its money is well-spent, sees a return in attendance figures and corporate sponsorships. Isn't STU spending a couple million dollars on the new rink? Why bother throwing good money after bad?
To which I eventually replied:
Quote:
That "couple of million dollars" appears to be an urban legend to me. I have not seen a published statement, anywhere, about how much STU is actually contributing to the Grant-Harvey complex, if any.

If someone knows of the number and where I can find it, please point me in the right direction ...
And then the next day you posted:
Quote:
Three or four years ago it was over a million for coaches rooms, dressing rooms, fitness center etc. Add in 150,000 for the female team and God only knows how much for the boys team and you could float a third world country. But the forces behind the scenes front the money and say go forth and compete.....not win compete. I imagine Stuie hot dog will cost you 6 bucks at the new place....unless the hot dog vender is requited to play for them
No one attacked you. And I don't believe the subject came up again until your more recent posts.

Old
02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
cookiecutter

Yes you are correct. It was the old website where my figures were attacked by videoguy and others. I did not mean to point fingers. I just want to get back to the days when Tommies down UNB 7 to 1 in a play off game. It made me angry to see the same top end decision to not replace Jen. She knew what was going on with the teams and if she needed to change the coach or add more support she could have done that. She was not only in touch with coaches, but with the athletes from all teams. Mike being a hockey guy supported all of the teams, but he was a guys hockey coach first, a hockey sport guy secondly and all others got to come last.

Old
02-20-2011, 08:09 AM
STUTOMMIES

Read the comments at the end. http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...yoff-running/1

He's wrong about Dal but the point isn't lost.

I hope STU admin. act very soon. We have to start the rebuild sooner than later.

Old
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
cishockeyfan

Knowing Mike Eagles, he won't sit around to have the admin come to him to tell him what job he takes or leaves. Hes a good smart guy, he knows how the STU Fans feel and and the Alumni, he will do the honarable thing and step away from the coaching position at his own choice. I would be surprised if you dont hear this by weeks end.

Some might say its about time, but without the schools support to enhancing the hockey program, he was a fish left to fry, and you can be thankfull, Mike could have done the easy thing and just bailed on the team at any point over the last 2 seasons, or left them hanging with a month before the new season just like Fabian Joseph did to Dalhousie, after he drove that program straight into the ground. Thankfully for them Pete Beliveau was there to pick up the pieces. Hopefully for STU their is another Beliveau waiting for a call soon

Old
02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
STUpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Knowing Mike Eagles, he won't sit around to have the admin come to him to tell him what job he takes or leaves. Hes a good smart guy, he knows how the STU Fans feel and and the Alumni, he will do the honarable thing and step away from the coaching position at his own choice. I would be surprised if you dont hear this by weeks end.

Some might say its about time, but without the schools support to enhancing the hockey program, he was a fish left to fry, and you can be thankfull, Mike could have done the easy thing and just bailed on the team at any point over the last 2 seasons, or left them hanging with a month before the new season just like Fabian Joseph did to Dalhousie, after he drove that program straight into the ground. Thankfully for them Pete Beliveau was there to pick up the pieces. Hopefully for STU their is another Beliveau waiting for a call soon
If he's to do the honourable thing, best do it sooner than later. And for him to pull a Joseph, only would have served to get the right coach in place that much earlier than now. Not like you could have a much worse season than the one just passed.

Old
02-24-2011, 06:59 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post

I do not believe that you are correct when you say that Eagle's did NOT have the support of administration to enhance the program but it is that he did not know how nor would he take ANYBODIES advice as to what to do,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this entire mess is of "HIS" making.

Old
02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
I do not believe that you are correct when you say that Eagle's did NOT have the support of administration to enhance the program but it is that he did not know how nor would he take ANYBODIES advice as to what to do,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this entire mess is of "HIS" making.

I think also, that if you investigate further, you'll also find Eagles had a significant role to play in the Kennedy assassination....

Old
02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
I think also, that if you investigate further, you'll also find Eagles had a significant role to play in the Kennedy assassination....
Is that supposed to be funny?The stupidity of that remark deserves "no comment"

Old
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Is that supposed to be funny?The stupidity of that remark deserves "no comment"
And yet, here you are, with your own icon and everything...

Old
02-25-2011, 10:18 AM
AUS Fan

Now, That's Funny!!

Old
02-25-2011, 05:00 PM
cookiecutter

Well I could see him as the Kennedy assassin. The Assassin acted alone and did not get out of it successfully.

Old
02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
cookiecutter

Nothing new from "no squirrels Allowed"?????must be out of province?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:04 PM
cookiecutter

What are your thoughts Gleanerguy? New Coach and full time assist. caoch for the men and full time coach for the ladies?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:07 PM
cookiecutter

If I was Mike, I would approach Gardiner and Join in with UNB. It's not like Mike is a green blooded Tommie. Perhaps a red blooded assistant coach for UNB?

Old
02-26-2011, 01:20 PM
gleanerguy

On the full time head coach/assistant for the Tommies men's program, full time for the women's -- not realistic given the resources they have and the return they'd get. They simply want to make the men's program competitive again, bring it back to the point where people are excited about the move to the new building and the resurgence of the program and they can sell sponsorship and board advertising (and beer) in the new building. They don't aspire to be UNB. The women's program is competitive now, with a part time coach who is very dedicated, and it also satisfies their "gender equality" mandate.
They recognize they have to be better at the men's level, for the sake of alumni, sponsors and fan support, and they're addressing that. My understanding is, they believe they're fine at the women's level -- and the coach's ability to bring in players from Switzerland and the Czech Republic and from the western provinces proves it.

Old
02-26-2011, 01:57 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
If I was Mike, I would approach Gardiner and Join in with UNB. It's not like Mike is a green blooded Tommie. Perhaps a red blooded assistant coach for UNB?
UNB already has an assistant in Todd Sparks. Mike would NOT fit the GMac mold as an assistant or in any other capacity. I'm not close to the scene as some of you guys, but I think Mike would (and does) make a decent A.D.

In the past I have commented on Mike not being a good communicator and I stand by that. He may not be the best coach in the world, either, but I have seen him after games at SMU or Acadia where they were badly beaten and I know that Mike the man feels the pain of those losses. He does care. And no matter what some of you think of him as a coach or recruiter, he is a good person and deserves better than the hatchet job from some on this thread.

My last word on this subject and I apologize in advance to those I may have upset.

Old
02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
cookiecutter

Okay thanks. As a point of clarification on the female team. We pay a ton of money for those girls from Europe and out west.

Old
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
UNB already has an assistant in Todd Sparks. Mike would NOT fit the GMac mold as an assistant or in any other capacity. I'm not close to the scene as some of you guys, but I think Mike would (and does) make a decent A.D.

In the past I have commented on Mike not being a good communicator and I stand by that. He may not be the best coach in the world, either, but I have seen him after games at SMU or Acadia where they were badly beaten and I know that Mike the man feels the pain of those losses. He does care. And no matter what some of you think of him as a coach or recruiter, he is a good person and deserves better than the hatchet job from some on this thread.

My last word on this subject and I apologize in advance to those I may have upset.
Everything you said is "bang on". Mike wasn't perfect and unfortunately his hard work and caring could not make up for his other traits. I know that some on here are little rough on him (ie. Rantfather) but it is not without some provocation. If you have been patient and loyal with someone for 7 or 8 years and see no results and no returned loyalty, you would snap at some point too. People can only take so much. Mike's record is ultimately what mattered and what (eventually) got noticed. Maybe it was noticed too late, maybe in the nick of time. Time will be the judge of that. Personally I'm not upset with anything you have said.

Quote:
Okay thanks. As a point of clarification on the female team. We pay a ton of money for those girls from Europe and out west.
As for you, you are a joke. I rank you right up there with FredtFoyle - you are a waste of typing effort - so one sided the Flat Earth Society wouldn't have you.

Old
02-26-2011, 08:01 PM
cookiecutter

STU Tommie Guy; are you the guy who used to wear the Tommie Mascot suit? or do you just have a big head with very little in it? Those girls from Europe tour every University in Canada looking for someone to pay their way. Do you know what a athletic scolarship costs for an out of country student? No I didn't think you could think that through. Do you think those girls from out west travel all this way to play for nothing? Yeh you probably think they do. You can go to the web and see that STU (we) are one of the most heavily funded female programs in the AUS if not the most...oh sorry you probably can't go to the web, I keep fergettin you probably don't read much out side of Archie Comics. How is veronica these days?

Old
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
SnipeShow91

http://www.theaq.net/2011/eagles-ste...ey-coach/-5173

Mike is stepping down, im sure Rantfather is parading down University Ave at the moment

Old
02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
STU Tommie Guy; are you the guy who used to wear the Tommie Mascot suit? or do you just have a big head with very little in it? Those girls from Europe tour every University in Canada looking for someone to pay their way. Do you know what a athletic scolarship costs for an out of country student? No I didn't think you could think that through. Do you think those girls from out west travel all this way to play for nothing? Yeh you probably think they do. You can go to the web and see that STU (we) are one of the most heavily funded female programs in the AUS if not the most...oh sorry you probably can't go to the web, I keep fergettin you probably don't read much out side of Archie Comics. How is veronica these days?
what is your deal with money anyways? And there is no such thing as an athletic scholarship in Canada, this isint the NCAA

Old
02-28-2011, 12:12 PM
STUpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
http://www.theaq.net/2011/eagles-ste...ey-coach/-5173

Mike is stepping down, im sure Rantfather is parading down University Ave at the moment
Parades are for champions. We may be low, but we're not Leafs fans.

No need for dancing on graves. Time to look forward to the next phase, and the crucial decision making process that lies ahead.

Old
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
cishockeyfan

well i guess I failed, I predicted last week Mike would do the honaroble thing and step down as mens hockey coach by Friday. i was wrong, it turned out to be not till Monday

Old
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
cookiecutter

Sorry...there are called Academic Scholarships...given out by coaches to atheletes...a rose by another name...Snipeshow and squirrel would not qualify...not university material.

Closed Thread