HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So it's Weiss

Old
02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
So it's Weiss

apparently everyone's talking about Weiss being traded, seems like that's the announcement Dale's going to make, no details yet

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
bral
Go Kings!

vCash: 500
Could someone give me a full rundown on Weiss. What type of player is he in all aspects. What would be fair value in return from the Kings?

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Could someone give me a full rundown on Weiss. What type of player is he in all aspects. What would be fair value in return from the Kings?
He's pretty much not gonna be traded, and if he is, it shouldn't be for "fair value" but for overpayment.

That being said, Weiss is a strong center who wins faceoffs. He's smart. He's a playmaker who has a pretty good shot and can score some goals. He's got tons of character, and is a leader. He's on the smaller side, but it doesn't really affect his game too much. He's got good speed, and pretty good stick handling. He's not flashy. He's just a go-to guy to get points while being strong on the other side of the puck. He doesn't miss his defensive assignments often, if at all. He plays through injury, and rarely misses a game. I strongly believe he can be a definite number 1 center on a bonafide top line (ie with top line wingers to support him.)

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
He's pretty much not gonna be traded, and if he is, it shouldn't be for "fair value" but for overpayment.

That being said, Weiss is a strong center who wins faceoffs. He's smart. He's a playmaker who has a pretty good shot and can score some goals. He's got tons of character, and is a leader. He's on the smaller side, but it doesn't really affect his game too much. He's got good speed, and pretty good stick handling. He's not flashy. He's just a go-to guy to get points while being strong on the other side of the puck. He doesn't miss his defensive assignments often, if at all. He plays through injury, and rarely misses a game. I strongly believe he can be a definite number 1 center on a bonafide top line (ie with top line wingers to support him.)

Thx HolyJ. Weiss sounds like a Dean Lombardi player to the fullest. I have a feeling this is the guy DL might covet the most. But like you said FL isn't trading him unless it's for overpayment and why should you? he seems like a good all around player. So i guess we'll see what happens.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Slick Cat

I cannot think of one good reason to trade Weiss. We would not get equal value in return and any draft pick will take years to get him to where Weiss is now. He was a top pick.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
I cannot think of one good reason to trade Weiss. We would not get equal value in return and any draft pick will take years to get him to where Weiss is now. He was a top pick.
AMEN. Lets get past these dumb rumors. We need top centers so obviously we are not going to trade him away. Weiss for Richards, Stastny? Maybe. Anything else is stupid.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
apparently everyone's talking about Weiss being traded, seems like that's the announcement Dale's going to make, no details yet
Source???

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Source???
This isn't happening.

This all started when two things happened (not sure of the exact chronology).

1. Dreger is on tv in an interview and gets a text while on the air about Weiss being traded. He didn't know anything about the team or the return.

2. RDS reported Weiss was traded.

Neither was true. Tallon has said he hasn't asked anyone to waive their NTC other than Stillman.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Weiss hasn't waived his NTC yet, and he's not going to. Besides, Tallon said no one besides Stillman has even been asked yet. So just don't worry about it guys.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
This isn't happening.

This all started when two things happened (not sure of the exact chronology).

1. Dreger is on tv in an interview and gets a text while on the air about Weiss being traded. He didn't know anything about the team or the return.

2. RDS reported Weiss was traded.

Neither was true. Tallon has said he hasn't asked anyone to waive their NTC other than Stillman.
This means nothing. If Tallon asked Weiss (or anyone else) to waive his NTC and he said no, you'd expect him to say so? 'Truthfulness in media relations' is not in a GM's job description.

Tallon doesn't give a rat's behind what the media or idiots like us think, but his players would. I doubt that he would leak that info.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that McCabe has already been asked (either in regards to a specific trade or being traded in general) and is considering it.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:20 PM
RainingRats

RealKyper Nick Kypreos
Hearing #Panthers Stephen Weiss is warming up to idea of lifting his NTC and welcoming trade. After watching the sell off can u blame him?

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Sports24-7

I love Weiss and if he stays here his entire career I wouldn't complain. If they can get an overpayment for him though I'd be all for trading him. If they get some kind of BS return though like simply a late 1st round pick or another "physical" forward. I might have to start becoming a fan of another team.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:30 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
I love Weiss and if he stays here his entire career I wouldn't complain. If they can get an overpayment for him though I'd be all for trading him. If they get some kind of BS return though like simply a late 1st round pick or another "physical" forward. I might have to start becoming a fan of another team.
I think this a very reasonable position.

Weiss is the kind of player you want on your team... but he's not a franchise player.

Old
02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
RealKyper Nick Kypreos
Hearing #Panthers Stephen Weiss is warming up to idea of lifting his NTC and welcoming trade. After watching the sell off can u blame him?

Kypreos is apparantly as mediocre a commentor as he was a ranger.

The selloff didnt start until last night at 6pm. This was after 2 horrific games against lower then us teams which we lost a combined 10-2 and had we won both we would be 3 points out. I dont blame Tallon at all and appreciate his patience. So I dont understand what Kypreos means by Weiss "watching a sell off".

Personally i find Mckenzie to be the only reliable source in what has become the National Hockey Rotisserie league.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I think this a very reasonable position.

Weiss is the kind of player you want on your team... but he's not a franchise player.
Agree. He is the perfect second line center. We would never get equal value for him, so Im guessing he will be goinf nowhere.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:47 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
RealKyper Nick Kypreos
How reliable is this guy?
Like Tallon said it would be a massive overpayment.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
He was the first to report the McCabe to Florida rumors. If Weiss does wave.... please let it be to LA.... Schenn would be nice.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
He was the first to report the McCabe to Florida rumors. If Weiss does wave.... please let it be to LA.... Schenn would be nice.
AMEN, but I hope we keep Weiss, that attitude is hard to find. But it would have to be a massive overpayment.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

The rumormonger that shall not be named was talking about how Toronto kicked the tires on Weiss and was told it would cost two 1st round picks.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:27 AM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
The rumormonger that shall not be named was talking about how Toronto kicked the tires on Weiss and was told it would cost two 1st round picks.
I'm not saying he's right, but you've got to think Tallon has set the bar really high so someone would have to drastically overpay to pry Weiss out of Florida.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
... or a blue chip prospect and a first.

Sounds about right.

Old
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Acadmus

Kypreos says "after watching the sell off, can you blame him?" - did I miss something here? Which sell off? Frolik? Bernier on waivers? Or have I missed a half dozen trades that weren't announced?

02-25-2011, 11:28 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Kypreos says "after watching the sell off, can you blame him?" - did I miss something here? Which sell off? Frolik? Bernier on waivers? Or have I missed a half dozen trades that weren't announced?
i thought the same thing. what a tool.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Dale Tallon is going to pick a year for this rebuild. Like he did in Chicago. He will rely on later picks early mixed with mid- to early-picks and then gun for early picks in the later stages of the rebuild.

My guess is between a 4-5 year plan.

That means that he will be looking to stockpile most of the picks for the 2013 Entry draft, with a good portion falling in the 2012 draft.

Moving Weiss is a possibility but not a great one. That being said, Tallon also wants to put his rubber stamp on this team, and he has spent all year evaluating the talent pools.

A lot of it will come down to whether Weiss is a Dale Tallon type player.

My guess is yes, and Tallon only moves Weiss for overpayment, but I could be wrong as I don't know what Tallon's plan is yet.

Teams that I would wager Tallon is most interested in getting picks from for the 2013 season:
MIN
SJS
CGY
ANA
BOS

Roughly in that order.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Haj

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Dale Tallon is going to pick a year for this rebuild. Like he did in Chicago. He will rely on later picks early mixed with mid- to early-picks and then gun for early picks in the later stages of the rebuild.

My guess is between a 4-5 year plan.

That means that he will be looking to stockpile most of the picks for the 2013 Entry draft, with a good portion falling in the 2012 draft.

Moving Weiss is a possibility but not a great one. That being said, Tallon also wants to put his rubber stamp on this team, and he has spent all year evaluating the talent pools.

A lot of it will come down to whether Weiss is a Dale Tallon type player.

My guess is yes, and Tallon only moves Weiss for overpayment, but I could be wrong as I don't know what Tallon's plan is yet.

Teams that I would wager Tallon is most interested in getting picks from for the 2013 season:
MIN
SJS
CGY
ANA
BOS

Roughly in that order.
A 4-5 year plan ? That is retarded. Tampa turned their team around in 2 years. The Flyers also managed to remake their team in two years.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote