HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Just dropping by with a question. How would you think of this for a daily intake food-wise (just what I had today).

2 egg whites
1 chicken breast in (2) wraps with 2 drops of hot sauce
1 cup rice, 4 chicken meatballs (no batter), 300ml cut tomato
1 cup chopped broccoli, 450ml cut tomato, 1 chicken breast
2 cups of milk
1 cup milk w/ 1 scoop whey protein
3 bottles of water

Thanks!
-Eat 3 whole eggs with fruits, take a spoon of Peanut Butter, or Almond, or Cashew
=Cut the wraps, just eat the chicken. Swap your hot sauce with Olive oil. Make a salad to go with it and again, add Olive oil + olives.
-If this is your post workout meal, then it's okay to eat some rice (or pasta, potatoes, or any starchy food). If it's not, then eat some veggies instead. Eat some nuts.
-If this is your post workout meal then swap your veggies with rice or potatoes. Eat more nuts or/and olive oil.
-Swap 2cups of milk with a little salad (2oz of Feta cheese, 1 tomato, 10 Kalamate olives)
-Take proteins with water.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Just dropping by with a question. How would you think of this for a daily intake food-wise (just what I had today).

2 egg whites
2 cups of milk
3 bottles of water

Thanks!
Kriss E said it all , but as a bonus , you should drink at least 6-8 bottles of water a day.

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
ppil

Hi guys,

I started training 4 month ago because of an ankle injury, and it seems that I liked it enough that I just can't stop. I usually train 4-5 mornings a week (Monday to Friday), 10 min of running and 30-40 min of muscles (1 day arms, 1 legs) and I usually have a game of soccer and a game of cosom a week, both pretty intense.

The problem is that I started at about 150-152 pounds (I'm about 5`9) and I'm now around 143 which is pretty low (I guess). When I end my training I look proportionate to my height but I shrink to the bones during the day to almost a marathon runner shape…

I think I have a high calories burning metabolism because even in my worst university years (aka a lot of drinking and fast food) I never got really big and I touched something like 155 pounds.

I eat healthy (a lot of vegetables), mostly chicken as protein (the girlfriend don't like red meat other than "filet mignon" and won't touch fish with a 10 foot pole…), but I guess that I don't eat enough or I don't eat properly for the kind of training that I do.

I don't really want to get buff, I just wish I could train to be in shape and stay at around 150 pounds (even the wii fit told me to gain weight…) so if you have any tip on the kind of food I should look for to gain a bit of weight it would be really appreciated,

Thanks

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Hi guys,

I started training 4 month ago because of an ankle injury, and it seems that I liked it enough that I just can't stop. I usually train 4-5 mornings a week (Monday to Friday), 10 min of running and 30-40 min of muscles (1 day arms, 1 legs) and I usually have a game of soccer and a game of cosom a week, both pretty intense.

The problem is that I started at about 150-152 pounds (I'm about 5`9) and I'm now around 143 which is pretty low (I guess). When I end my training I look proportionate to my height but I shrink to the bones during the day to almost a marathon runner shape…

I think I have a high calories burning metabolism because even in my worst university years (aka a lot of drinking and fast food) I never got really big and I touched something like 155 pounds.

I eat healthy (a lot of vegetables), mostly chicken as protein (the girlfriend don't like red meat other than "filet mignon" and won't touch fish with a 10 foot pole…), but I guess that I don't eat enough or I don't eat properly for the kind of training that I do.

I don't really want to get buff, I just wish I could train to be in shape and stay at around 150 pounds (even the wii fit told me to gain weight…) so if you have any tip on the kind of food I should look for to gain a bit of weight it would be really appreciated,

Thanks
Eat more starchy food (potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, sweet potatoes, cornmeal, etc..) and don't forget to eeat your good fat (olive oil, olive oil and olive oil....EVERYWHERE!!).

Old
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Broccoli & tomato ? That's all your veggies / fruit per day?

Avocado for breakfast
Kiwi
1 Banana
Spinach
Apple
Blueberries
etc..

I don't get why people just don't keep it simple -- eat lots of veggies / fruits and drink a lot of water (don't count the bottles, just drink!). Throw in your chicken breast, have some fish, serving of almonds / walnuts and you're done.
I keep it simple because I was never forced to eat healthy as a child, so I hate most fruits and veggies. So much so that I actually gag when I try to eat them. I know it sounds picky, but if I start trying to force them down, I'm never going to stay motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The man is trying to lose weight I believe, so cut the starch.
No bread.
Very true, thanks.

Quote:
-Eat 3 whole eggs with fruits, take a spoon of Peanut Butter, or Almond, or Cashew
=Cut the wraps, just eat the chicken. Swap your hot sauce with Olive oil. Make a salad to go with it and again, add Olive oil + olives.
-If this is your post workout meal, then it's okay to eat some rice (or pasta, potatoes, or any starchy food). If it's not, then eat some veggies instead. Eat some nuts.
-If this is your post workout meal then swap your veggies with rice or potatoes. Eat more nuts or/and olive oil.
-Swap 2cups of milk with a little salad (2oz of Feta cheese, 1 tomato, 10 Kalamate olives)
-Take proteins with water.
I love milk far too much to cut it out. I have cut from 2% to skimmed milk though.

I bought a bunch of stuff for salads.. choked down two but I literally had tears rolling out of my eyes. It sounds pathetic, but I just can't handle the texture of some food.

I was reading something about using califlower as rice .. which looked pretty neat. I might try that. Although I do want to keep some carbs in my diet.

I will definitely try adding more nuts.

I'm down 30 pounds in just under 3-months and I have been taking the cardio easy since I want to keep a good portion of muscle. Last time I lost weight, I did no weights, and I still felt fat when I lost the weight. This time I can already see muscle gains, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Kriss E said it all , but as a bonus , you should drink at least 6-8 bottles of water a day.
I drink about 1.5-2L per day.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 08:30 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I keep it simple because I was never forced to eat healthy as a child, so I hate most fruits and veggies. So much so that I actually gag when I try to eat them. I know it sounds picky, but if I start trying to force them down, I'm never going to stay motivated.
The more you force yourself the easier it'll get. Just think of it as medicine and eventually you'll realize it aint that bad.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
The more you force yourself the easier it'll get. Just think of it as medicine and eventually you'll realize it aint that bad.
I've tried forcing myself. Multiple times. If I keep doing it, I know I'll get unmotivated. I'm not looking to be jacked here, just a lot more healthy than I used to be.

I don't particularily like tomato or broccoli either, but I can force those ones down without feeling sick, haha.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
You'll have a very hard time maintaining a healthy diet if you hate most fruits and veggies. You'll also have to supplement tremendously.
I know the feeling though. I use to hate veggies. Only enjoyed eating cucumbers. I was just stubborn. I used to say I hated things without even trying them simply because they didn't look particularly appealing to me.
But then I grew up a little and realized I was being ridiculous because there's too many nutritious foods that I excluded for no reason. Right now, even if I certainly don't prefer the taste of cooked carrots to pasta, I'm able to create recipes where they become quite tasteful.
So, I guess what I'm saying is, try to keep an open mind and find recipes that you will enjoy. You'll have to do so if you want to maintain healthy eating habits rather than just diet every now and then.

Quote:
I love milk far too much to cut it out. I have cut from 2% to skimmed milk though.
Well, perhaps limit your milk to 1 cup then.

Quote:
I'm down 30 pounds in just under 3-months and I have been taking the cardio easy since I want to keep a good portion of muscle. Last time I lost weight, I did no weights, and I still felt fat when I lost the weight. This time I can already see muscle gains, so I'm pretty excited about that.
Doing weight training is extremely important.
You know my vision of what you should do rather than cardio, but there's no need to get back into that

Quote:
I drink about 1.5-2L per day.
If I remember correctly, you should be drinking half your bodyweight (Lbs) in ounces.
So if you're 200lbs, then 100oz=3L. That is what you should be drinking and that's without taking into consideration working out. So, you'd actually need to drink more.

I've tried drinking the appropriate amount of water for my body. Man, it is freaking hard, and also annoying because I peed so much. I did however, feel great.
In a very small nutshell though, you should drink enough water to NEVER be thirsty.

Old
02-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

today's workout

Chest

Push Up Ladder (Warm Up)
Dumbell Flat Press / Barbell Flat Press (Superset)
Cable Incline Crossover Fly / Incline Cable Punch Press (Superset)
Machine Flat Press / Pec Dec Middle Fly (Superset)
Reverse Grip Smith Press / Reverse Smith Bar Push Ups (Superset)
Incline Dumbell Press / Neck Flat Press (Superset)
Body Weight Dips / Cable Pull Overs (Superset)
Decline Barbell Press / Decline Cable Crossover Fly (Superset)

Shoulder Machine Press Elevator Set (Superset)
- How I do it is I start with 1 repetition at really high and after i drop 10 lbs and immediately do 2 reps, drop 10 more lbs and do 3 , drop 10 more lbs and do 4 and so on till 12. ... It's a killer

2 to 3 minutes rest between each supersets.

50 minutes workout

Old
02-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Sebaldian

As an update for anyone interested I'm now down to 153lbs, which is a total loss of 94lbs in a little under 14 months.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, you should be drinking half your bodyweight (Lbs) in ounces.
So if you're 200lbs, then 100oz=3L. That is what you should be drinking and that's without taking into consideration working out. So, you'd actually need to drink more.

I've tried drinking the appropriate amount of water for my body. Man, it is freaking hard, and also annoying because I peed so much. I did however, feel great.
In a very small nutshell though, you should drink enough water to NEVER be thirsty.
That sounds low to me. I weigh 153lbs and drink over 4L of water a day.
Sure, it's hard at first, but after a while it just becomes part of your life. I don't even think about it anymore, I just do it. I pee all the time but it's definitely worth it.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
As an update for anyone interested I'm now down to 153lbs, which is a total loss of 94lbs in a little under 14 months.
So awesome dude. Congratulations. I hope you took pictures just to look at it. I didn't do it the first time so I never realized just how crazy it was. I'm doing it this time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
today's workout

Chest

Push Up Ladder (Warm Up)
Dumbell Flat Press / Barbell Flat Press (Superset)
Cable Incline Crossover Fly / Incline Cable Punch Press (Superset)
Machine Flat Press / Pec Dec Middle Fly (Superset)
Reverse Grip Smith Press / Reverse Smith Bar Push Ups (Superset)
Incline Dumbell Press / Neck Flat Press (Superset)
Body Weight Dips / Cable Pull Overs (Superset)
Decline Barbell Press / Decline Cable Crossover Fly (Superset)

Shoulder Machine Press Elevator Set (Superset)
- How I do it is I start with 1 repetition at really high and after i drop 10 lbs and immediately do 2 reps, drop 10 more lbs and do 3 , drop 10 more lbs and do 4 and so on till 12. ... It's a killer

2 to 3 minutes rest between each supersets.

50 minutes workout
That would kill me.

Today, so far, I've done; (I don't know all the right names, sorry)

4 x 4 minute rounds boxing
19 minutes treadmill, 1.45m
forearm curl x3 sets
inside forearm curl x3 sets
ab machine x3 sets
seated knee raises x3 sets
weighted ab pulldown x3 sets
bicep curl x3 sets
smith curl x3 sets
bicep curl up/downs x3 sets
lat pulldown x3 sets
back fly x3 sets
reverse back crunch x3 sets

Last edited by Bad Natey: 02-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old
02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
So awesome dude. Congratulations. I hope you took pictures just to look at it. I didn't do it the first time so I never realized just how crazy it was. I'm doing it this time though.
Thanks. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I don't have any pictures of myself at my fattest, for obvious reasons, so this is the closest thing I have. I posted it in the old thread as well, but this is an updated version with a newer picture so I'll post it here as well.

February 235lbs
December 162lbs

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

I don't have any pictures of myself at my fattest, for obvious reasons, so this is the closest thing I have. I posted it in the old thread as well, but this is an updated version with a newer picture so I'll post it here as well.

February 235lbs
December 162lbs
I find it funny that you're smiling in the before picture but not in the after one...lol.

Keep it up.

Old
02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
I find it funny that you're smiling in the before picture but not in the after one...lol.

Keep it up.
Looks like he got rid of the jollyness along with the weight...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:

February 235lbs
December 162lbs
dayum !!! what a change ! congrats ! Now , it's time for you to bulk up cleanly for your 2nd goal to build your frame and muscularity (lean mass in your body)

Old
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
rafal majka

Quote:
Congratulations on a really incredible achievement! Your pictures show such a drastic change. And it's incredible when you think of the growing percentage of Canadians that are either overweight or obese.

About 6 years ago I started at 100 kg and have now gotten down to 74 kg and the goal is 68 kg. Reading through this thread it seems that most posters are into the weights. Myself, I lost my blubber through cardio & watching what I eat.

rafal majka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
coolasprICE

wow, thevinylversion, all you got to do now is quit the doobies

I actually weighed myself the other week and noticed I came in @ 210 pounds (6 feet). I pretty much ate what I wanted

I play hockey and have also noticed more strain on my calf and entire lower body, so it shouldn't have been that much of a shock to see. I have a long torso so it's hard to see weight gain.

I've lost 5 pounds already in about a week, just by eliminating all junk, and piling up on veggies, cutting red meat and eating chicken / fish. I won't eat red meat until I'm down to about 195, i'll treat myself to a huge steak for a reward. And then a 2nd steak steak at 185. Once I stabilize at around 185 I'll allow more red meat into my diet, once or twice a week.

Today for breakfast I took natural yogurt, mixed in berries, kiwis, and strawberries and then had some taboolly lol (spelling?)

The only hard time I have is at night, but I'll have a banana and drink lots of tea Camomile tea.

DRINK CAMOMILE TEA !!! It's almost like smoking hash

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 11:28 AM
speed11

you're all pros, look at me! pros!

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

February 235lbs
December 162lbs
Crazy awesome dude. What an amazinc change!

Old
02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

grats the vinyl version, thats something to be proud of. thats whole lot of dedication

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I've been working out pretty hard and consistently for about 2 and a half years now and put on a lot of muscle and weight but about 2 months ago I finally started to really follow a strict diet.

I eat 2 whole eggs with a fruit for breakfast, a lean meat (usually chicken or tuna) and salad (no dressing) for lunch.

As a pre workout snack usually a can of fruit or some form of fruit with a handful of almonds. After workout I always drink a protein shake with whey protein and skim milk.

And for dinner I'll eat steak, chicken, pork, turkey, ground beef or whatever else meat I'm in the mood for with some form of carbs like rice or sweet potatoes.

I've lost about 15 lbs so far without losing much strength at all. My bench has gone down about 10 lbs but my deadlift, rows, and shoulder press are all the same as before.

I can feel the belt notches getting tighter and I'm getting compliments from friends saying they can see improvements but it's hard looking in the mirror and see it right now.

*Edit: oh yeah, I have one "cheat day" per week where I'll get some fast food or eat whatever I want without feeling guilty. I still try to watch the carb intake on cheat days but I also know that "shocking" the body can help boost metabolism.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

2 egg whites
2 cups of milk
3 bottles of water

Thanks!
Looks pretty good to me. Throw in a couple EFA's and you're good to go. As long as you're creating a deficit and getting enough protein 1g per lb you will continue to lose fat. Carbs are not your enemy despite what many will tell you. I would cut the milk back for the simple fact it's alot of calories, but if you can drink that much milk and still create a deficit, go for it. You can throw a treat in there from time to time as well it won't hurt a thing if you're getting your protein, creating a deficit and strength training.

The reason for eating strictly and healthy non stop while cutting is simple, healthy foods have less calories and you can eat more food for less calories. If you can eat your favs and still maintain a deficit you will still lose fat. Don't deprive yourself when you don't have to.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 02-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Currently in the middle of a hypertrophy bootcamp for 5 days, 2 trainings a day. Insane. Manliest thing ever. Ever. Going to take some time off when I'm done, should put on a good 3 pounds I'm thinking, at least.

Beaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Currently in the middle of a hypertrophy bootcamp for 5 days, 2 trainings a day. Insane. Manliest thing ever. Ever. Going to take some time off when I'm done, should put on a good 3 pounds I'm thinking, at least.
Wow. So I just completed my 4th day of the two-a-day training hypertrophy. I weighed in at 171, 11% body fat on Monday morning after breakfast. I began my intensive workouts on Wednesday. Weighed in today at 179. I still have another day left too... my mind is ****ing blown. Not to mention when I finish, and take 2-3 days off, I'm going to gain a little more just by resting and eating. I just wanted a couple of pounds, 180 didn't seem possibly, I'm ecstatic.

Beaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Wow. So I just completed my 4th day of the two-a-day training hypertrophy. I weighed in at 171, 11% body fat on Monday morning after breakfast. I began my intensive workouts on Wednesday. Weighed in today at 179. I still have another day left too... my mind is ****ing blown. Not to mention when I finish, and take 2-3 days off, I'm going to gain a little more just by resting and eating. I just wanted a couple of pounds, 180 didn't seem possibly, I'm ecstatic.
Don't kid yourself, you didn't gain 8lbs of muscle in 3 days, it's impossible.