HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Lose to Leafs 5-4

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Cammy: 1g-1a +2
Plekanec: 1a +2
Gionta: 1a +1
Halpern: 1g-1a +2
MaxPac: 1G Even
AK: 1a Even

Gomez: 0g-0a -1

Not saying that it was his fault that we lost tonight but he didn't help the team win either.

Btw, if you are talking about Price being our whipping boy last year, you clearly haven't been here. Except from some haters, everyone here got his back last season.
As a mod who had to merge a lot of Price bashing threads into the Halak/Price saga I'd disagree. Last season's scapegoats were easily MAB and Price.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Funny, that's not how I remember it.
Yeah funny indeed. I remember that in this boards, like i said, except from a couple haters and nobodys.. Price wasn't the whipping boy of the "veteran" posters here.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
As a mod who had to merge a lot of Price bashing threads into the Halak/Price saga I'd disagree. Last season's scapegoats were easily MAB and Price.
Maybe they was on my IL or i just didn't care about them.. but, not saying that people that has many posts has more knowledge but I don't remember a lots of veterans poster hating on Price.

Old
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I sat down and watched this game at a bar with like 5 Leaf fans.

Thanks Alex Auld for the **** you put me through tonight.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

Like I said in the GDT;

1st goal: Hell of a shot
2nd goal: Brutal
3rd goal: Was screened by two guys, one being Hamrlik. Didn't see a thing.

After he was pulled, Martin went over to him to let him know it wasn't his fault and that he made the change to shake things up.

Auld is not to blame at all tonight.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe they was on my IL or i just didn't care about them.. but, not saying that people that has many posts has more knowledge but I don't remember a lots of veterans poster hating on Price.
You would have had to have 50% of the Habs posters on your IL to have missed that Stradale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

I flew to Calgary to watch the HC . There were six of us (5 Flames fans and me). We sat in a section where I was one of only a handful of Habs fans.

So not only did I have to put up with our team getting their ***** handed to them, while freezing my ass off I might add. I also had to listen to a bunch of drunk Calgary fans sing our "OLE" song, over and over again. If that wasn't enough, I had to take those 5 Calgary fans out for a steak dinner after wards since our boys lost.

Now that is pain.

Old
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Yeah funny indeed. I remember that in this boards, like i said, except from a couple haters and nobodys.. Price wasn't the whipping boy of the "veteran" posters here.
Price was whipping boy by the fans and by the media. especially the media, they couldn't get enough of trashing him. veteran posters know better then just to hate blindly. also, last year price was blamed for every loss, no matter if the team failed or he failed, it was always his fault. this year, people seem to make the difference between bad game from price and bad game from the guys infront of him, which was not the case last year, which imo is pretty much definition of whipping boy.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

I literally could not stay awake through this disaster of a game after the first. We were completely dominated. Hammer was embarrassing and while Auld certainly was working with lackluster defense, you have to make those saves.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:23 AM
The Right Price

Disgusting effort. No one was any good in my opinion.

You know that you played like **** when Lebda puts up 1+1 against you.

JM had a horrible game. Hamrlik played 28 minutes, WTF??

Let's hope Cammalleri gets on a really hot streak now!!

Old
02-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So...people are really surprised by that loss? Really the first time you witness a lost after a long trip? And we were facing a team who's in their playoffs for quite some time now.....Had to be expected.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So...people are really surprised by that loss? Really the first time you witness a lost after a long trip? And we were facing a team who's in their playoffs for quite some time now.....Had to be expected.
Don't think the reactions would be nearly as bad if it weren't the Leafs (same story with the Bruins).

Still, bit of a letdown. Exactly why I wanted to start Price. The letdown was expected but he might have been able to weather the storm in the first.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Mr Rogers

I was literally baffled by Martin's coaching decisions during the last 2 minutes.
Right before Pacioretty's goal, Hammer was on the ice for the entire PP and you could just see he was gased, fanning on shots and missing open nets and going up and down the ice like crazy.

45 seconds left to the PP, Martin makes changes but Hammer STAYS on the ice and instead of Subban replacing Wiz, Martin puts Weber in. I couldn't believe it.

After Max Pac scored, we were stuck in our zone with no one to move the puck up and who do we see on the ice... Hammerlik again. That was it I went completely nuts in front of my tv screaming ''where the F is our only puck-moving D?''

Old
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Don't think the reactions would be nearly as bad if it weren't the Leafs (same story with the Bruins).

Still, bit of a letdown. Exactly why I wanted to start Price. The letdown was expected but he might have been able to weather the storm in the first.
its PGT, always going to seem like the end of the world when habs lose.

at least there isn't an influx of bashing threads like we have seen prior to VAN win.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Miller Time

I didn't see the game...

but can someone please explain to me what Eller/Pouliot/Desharnais/White did to earn such paltry ice time?

Eller was, imo, the best forward on the ice in Calgary, played well in Vancouver, and gets rewarded with sub-10min of ice time?

Pouliot was really starting to play well the last 2-3 weeks, takes a very questionable penalty vs Vcr, and now he's relegated to the sub 10min group?

White is one of the only players to consistently play the body aggressively, yet he gets 8min of ice time?

Meanwhile Gomez, who is in such a funk that even opposing beat-writers notice his moping around the rink (Vcr province article), has been completely ineffective for weeks, yet he still gets 20+ min of ice time?

What the ******** is Martin trying to prove?

I honestly have not see the game, the only highlight I caught was a goal where a Laff scored from the slot on a pass from down low, where the defensive centre was clearly at fault for not picking him up, and who skates into the picture as the Laffs are lifting their arms in celebration... #11.

we lose by 1 goal.

how is that mistake not more reprehensible than Pouliot's minor shove that led to a dive and a penalty vs Vcr...

I don't get it.

Can someone (preferably not an eternal optimist/ "the coaches/management can do no wrong b/c they are the pros and they know best" type of poster) PLEASE explain to me what logic or rational could possibly be behind Martin's approach.

early in the season, at least you could make the argument that he was trying to get the veterans going, but at this point, he needs to give the guys that are playing the best the most opportunities.

Anyone who has followed the flames this year can attest to the difference in approach applied by Sutter.
On the flames, the guys who are playing the hardest and who are the most effective, get more ice time.
That meant that even while they were losing, you often saw their 4th line guys getting quality minutes late in games.
some media guys and tons of fans complained incessantly... thing is that it played a HUGE factor in their turn around.
the players (from the top down) finally understood that if you do things well, you get rewarded.
Eventually the top players started doing things as well as the bottom players, and surprise surprise, they were even more effective than the bottom guys, and the team started winning.

what push does Gomez really have to be better, when no matter what he does he knows he's got his 20min and pp time?

what message does that send to the rest of the team?

Martin, for all the great work he does in certain aspects of the game, is slowly but surely showing exactly why he wasn't able to lead a stacked team to any real success...

Old
02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Same here. I also would have started Price for the reason that when there's a letdown, the guy that could save you is your goalie...Unfortunately, Martin thought that Price would have been an ideal candidate for a letdown....

On the other hand, Auld sucked on the 2nd goal. Price would not have stopped the 1st and would CLEARLY not have stopped the 3rd. Habs were still tired and all over the place defensively and I'm pretty sure Price would not have made a difference unless his presence only would have made the players play better which I doubt though.

Old
02-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Vateran posters usually don't have a hate on for anybody. We (yes, after 10 000posts, I include myself) usually try to bring some type of rational side to an argument. If criticism is deserved, it's constructively done.

Price was being blamed all the time last year, maybe you just don't remember well enough.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
it's the coaching decisions related to ice time that really irk me...

and the "returning from a long trip" aspect only reinforces that. Does JM simply not understand how to manage athletes?

why would he lean so heavily on vets, in a situation where the physical impact of the long road trip/travel would wear on them much more than it does on the young guys, whom he sticks to the bench most of the night?

makes no sense.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I didn't see the game...

but can someone please explain to me what Eller/Pouliot/Desharnais/White did to earn such paltry ice time?

I honestly have not see the game, the only highlight I caught was a goal where a Laff scored from the slot on a pass from down low, where the defensive centre was clearly at fault for not picking him up, and who skates into the picture as the Laffs are lifting their arms in celebration... #11.

we lose by 1 goal.

how is that mistake not more reprehensible than Pouliot's minor shove that led to a dive and a penalty vs Vcr...

I don't get it.

Can someone (preferably not an eternal optimist/ "the coaches/management can do no wrong b/c they are the pros and they know best" type of poster) PLEASE explain to me what logic or rational could possibly be behind Martin's approach.

early in the season, at least you could make the argument that he was trying to get the veterans going, but at this point, he needs to give the guys that are playing the best the most opportunities.

Anyone who has followed the flames this year can attest to the difference in approach applied by Sutter.
On the flames, the guys who are playing the hardest and who are the most effective, get more ice time.
That meant that even while they were losing, you often saw their 4th line guys getting quality minutes late in games.
some media guys and tons of fans complained incessantly... thing is that it played a HUGE factor in their turn around.
the players (from the top down) finally understood that if you do things well, you get rewarded.
Eventually the top players started doing things as well as the bottom players, and surprise surprise, they were even more effective than the bottom guys, and the team started winning.

what push does Gomez really have to be better, when no matter what he does he knows he's got his 20min and pp time?

Martin, for all the great work he does in certain aspects of the game, is slowly but surely showing exactly why he wasn't able to lead a stacked team to any real success...
It was a strange game... tons of power plays and penalty kills, so the players you mentioned got the short end of the stick tonight, as they are seldom used in special teams situations. Kind of had a similar feel to the Bruins game just without all the fighting. One of the poorest officiated games we've seen all year, for both sides, even some of the icing calls were botched. Weird game.

Old
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Sounds like I made the smart choice to skip this game and go to bed early.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Sounds like I made the smart choice to skip this game and go to bed early.
Right, and you're up at 2:30am posting on HF...Really sounds like you went to bed early..

Old
02-25-2011, 02:42 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Right, and you're up at 2:30am posting on HF...Really sounds like you went to bed early..
Slept from 4:30 to 1:30.

Old
02-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I didn't see the game...

Eller was, imo, the best forward on the ice in Calgary, played well in Vancouver, and gets rewarded with sub-10min of ice time?

Pouliot was really starting to play well the last 2-3 weeks, takes a very questionable penalty vs Vcr, and now he's relegated to the sub 10min group?

White is one of the only players to consistently play the body aggressively, yet he gets 8min of ice time?

Meanwhile Gomez, who is in such a funk that even opposing beat-writers notice his moping around the rink (Vcr province article), has been completely ineffective for weeks, yet he still gets 20+ min of ice time?

What the ******** is Martin trying to prove?

we lose by 1 goal.

I don't get it.

Martin simply plays favorites. Always has, always will sadly.

Martin is terribly uncomfortable giving much of a chance to young, relatively inexperienced players, and will keep going back to his trusted vets no matter what.

He also doesn't seem to grasp the concept that when you're down by a goal late in the third, you don't throw out a gassed old Hammer instead of your top offensive D.

Martin's a pretty good coach as long as most thing's go to the initial gameplan, but he's not good at adjusting to the sort of high octane offense game that this was.

Old
02-25-2011, 03:05 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You too. As this hasn't happened with this line in sometime. Pouliot is missing again.
Pouliot has played 20mins in the last 3 games COMBINED. Go ahead and show me a player that out produces him with less time.

"Geez Pouliot sure has been ineffective in his 4minutes of icetime"

Old
02-25-2011, 03:30 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Einstein said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Does this relate to the amount of icetime Martin gives Gomez?

Old
02-25-2011, 04:01 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Same.

its just making me think... is patrick elias THAT good?????
Yes, Elias is that good. Im a leafs fan who watched that guy have his way with the best Leafs team of the past 15 years in the playoffs, and all these years later he's still got it. No doubt Elias made Gomez look like more than he was. I believe that if Elias and Alfredsson had been swapped while spezza and heatly were together, he would have matched alfredsson's numbers.

Closed Thread